Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Bruno Lage

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Define a “bad start”. Maybe around 15th. at Xmas? Even sooner?

After last season’s performances, I have concerns about Bruno. But in fairness, we did seem to have a lot of injuries and it’s a new season .
I'd say bottom 5 after 7 games with our good start would be trigger time for Fosun.

Have it on good authority they were ready to let him go this summer if the right replacement was available

Rhyl Wolf

Reaction score
I'd say bottom 5 after 7 games with our good start would be trigger time for Fosun.

Have it on good authority they were ready to let him go this summer if the right replacement was available
No reason to disbelieve this. Does seem a tad harsh though, when he is still dealing with an inherited squad (in the main). Dunno. Maybe a couple of new signings could change everything. All will be revealed at Elland Road.

The Wolf In The North

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I think there's been good value on Bruno here. Long odds imo. If we get off to a bad start, Fosun will get rid.

Gerrard very long too but I imagine the Villa board are sufficiently in awe of his name so as to keep him if they start poorly.

I reckon Rodgers is a bit squeaky, if Leicester have a poor start. Arsenal, Chelsea and Man Utd three of their first five, after a difficult transfer window so far.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Define a “bad start”. Maybe around 15th. at Xmas? Even sooner?

After last season’s performances, I have concerns about Bruno. But in fairness, we did seem to have a lot of injuries and it’s a new season .
Have to remember it's a weird season this season because of the World Cup. Wherever you are at Christmas, you'll have been there since mid-November and the games come thick and fast up to that point. No idea how owners will look at things after a bad start, whether they choose the six week break as a good time to make a change so not to disrupt things when there's a game every few days or to make changes well before that so the new man has plenty of time working with his squad before half of them go off to the World Cup.

Also (probably naively!) think the January transfer window could be fun this year following a World Cup

Wolves Heathen

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What do folks really expect from Lage ? since he has been here he has had little or no money spent on incomings, Hwang and Collins being the 2 oven ready first team signings, we have moved out Saiss, Marcal, Ruddy, and Fabio on loan, so as I see it that makes Sarkic for Ruddy, Hwang for Fabio, Collins for Saiss, last season we were 10th but we have the Vile and Newcastle both spending so realistically 12th would be the best we could hope for without adding more signings especially up top because I cant see where are the goals coming from.
Bruno has not been backed in any shape or form since he has been here, so he is trying to make a silk purse out of a sows ear and so would any other manager that was brought in, my message to Jeff is Sign some bloody forwards for goodness sake otherwise we will be in the brown stuff.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What's he supposed to say at a press conference this early, though? The emphasis is going to be on transfers - Neves, MGW, Traore and Dendoncker as potential departures/new contracts, and then incomings - and he's not going to be at liberty to say anything about that. So, "We'll see/no comment". Formations and strategy? "No comment." What's the point? Just let the geezer get on with training and planning.
Absolutely... always remember Nuno not giving interviews (first season) until about days before the first game

Let him get on with his job.

SakosRightFoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No reason to disbelieve this. Does seem a tad harsh though, when he is still dealing with an inherited squad (in the main). Dunno. Maybe a couple of new signings could change everything. All will be revealed at Elland Road.

Not suggesting he goes, though I’ll admit I had hoped there would be a change at the end of the season. But not sure the “inherited squad” thing is a thing anymore. Managers/Head Coaches don’t stay around long enough to have their own squads, any coach will be expected to get a tune from the players provided to him, that’s Bruno’s challenge. He and we can moan all we like about not signing new players, but the owners will say he has enough talent to win games so pressure is on

Howler

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Bruno mic up video has been reuploaded by the club with subtitles for when he changes languages.

A very interesting video, he's really hammering on the midfield to pass the ball between the lines over back-passing and cross-passing, even hammering on them to turn on the ball whilst in possession. (Ronan could get some serious game time this season as he's probably our best midfielder at doing this) Let's hope the midfield listens.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not suggesting he goes, though I’ll admit I had hoped there would be a change at the end of the season. But not sure the “inherited squad” thing is a thing anymore. Managers/Head Coaches don’t stay around long enough to have their own squads, any coach will be expected to get a tune from the players provided to him, that’s Bruno’s challenge. He and we can moan all we like about not signing new players, but the owners will say he has enough talent to win games so pressure is on
I've always considered what a manager can get out of an inherited squad to be a better barometer than what he can get out of his own signings.

Corporate Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Bruno mic up video has been reuploaded by the club with subtitles for when he changes languages.

A very interesting video, he's really hammering on the midfield to pass the ball between the lines over back-passing and cross-passing, even hammering on them to turn on the ball whilst in possession. (Ronan could get some serious game time this season as he's probably our best midfielder at doing this) Let's hope the midfield listens.
He can encourage and coach it as much as he likes. It's down to the player's willingness to learn and develop.
Sorry to say, but there are some players in this squad that are not capable of that level of creativity.

Corporate Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've always considered what a manager can get out of an inherited squad to be a better barometer than what he can get out of his own signings.
Absolutely this.

On the one hand I really do feel for Bruno - he has been completely shafted by Shi & Sellars. Unfortunately on the other hand, if he honestly did not understand or accept these "conditions" at his job interview then he is an extremely naive individual.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He can encourage and coach it as much as he likes. It's down to the player's willingness to learn and develop.
Sorry to say, but there are some players in this squad that are not capable of that level of creativity.
He seems very Pep in his ideology, which is no bad thing in itself but ultimately I don't think most of the options in the front three will be able to consistenlt break down teams in the way we want. I think we'll find it difficult to attract the players that are good enough on that area to play the way we want as well.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Absolutely this.

On the one hand I really do feel for Bruno - he has been completely shafted by Shi & Sellars. Unfortunately on the other hand, if he honestly did not understand or accept these "conditions" at his job interview then he is an extremely naive individual.
Tbf, they have moved on the players he didn't fancy. Would be nice if he got some replacements in!

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Have I missed any prezzas from Bruno or will Leeds be his first one?

SoCal_Wolf

Reaction score
He seems very Pep in his ideology, which is no bad thing in itself but ultimately I don't think most of the options in the front three will be able to consistenlt break down teams in the way we want. I think we'll find it difficult to attract the players that are good enough on that area to play the way we want as well.
I'm not so sure about your opinion of our attacking options. Arsenal was able to break down Crystal Palace multiple times today and I would put our Neto-Raul-MGW with Podence against their Martinelli-Jesus-Saka with Odegaard and think that there's not much difference between them.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm not so sure about your opinion of our attacking options. Arsenal was able to break down Crystal Palace multiple times today and I would put our Neto-Raul-MGW with Podence against their Martinelli-Jesus-Saka with Odegaard and think that there's not much difference between them.

As much as I'd love to agree with you, that four for Arsenal got 32 goals last season and 26 assists. Our forwards got 19 goals and 16 assists, with half of that coming from Morgan in the Championship. Granted Neto only played towards the end of the season, but I think we are a little way off that attacking lineup.

SoCal_Wolf

Reaction score
As much as I'd love to agree with you, that four for Arsenal got 32 goals last season and 26 assists. Our forwards got 19 goals and 16 assists, with half of that coming from Morgan in the Championship. Granted Neto only played towards the end of the season, but I think we are a little way off that attacking lineup.
Perhaps--can't argue the goal stats, but Jesus played for ManCity, the most attacking side in the world arguably and Arsenal was a more attacking side...our system and defenders we're just not made to score many goals. Put any of those players in our system with our (slow) defenders/midfielders, working in isolation, let's see them disappear real quickly (see Jota, Diogo for example).

Talent for talent, formation and injuries aside, I think our four are pretty creative, talented players.

Raul (when healthy mentally and I think he will be this year) is better all around than Jesus; Jesus has quicker feet and maybe more clinical, but Raul has better hold up play, heading, and defending.

Neto is better than Martinelli, in my opinion. Quicker, more direct, and a better defender.

MGW and Saka--okay, Saka is better--quicker and better in-close ball skills. But MGW is more direct, let's see what he can do.

Podence versus Odegaard--Podence is much more creative and trickier player in the box; Odegaard more physical and has a good deadball delivery. But, in the box, I would take our Danny Podence all day.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Agree about an inherited squad. Its not like they are poor players, and no manager gets a whole new squad to work with. They usually just bring in a couple of players to change the dynamic a little.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Perhaps--can't argue the goal stats, but Jesus played for ManCity, the most attacking side in the world arguably and Arsenal was a more attacking side...our system and defenders we're just not made to score many goals. Put any of those players in our system with our (slow) defenders/midfielders, working in isolation, let's see them disappear real quickly (see Jota, Diogo for example).

Talent for talent, formation and injuries aside, I think our four are pretty creative, talented players.

Raul (when healthy mentally and I think he will be this year) is better all around than Jesus; Jesus has quicker feet and maybe more clinical, but Raul has better hold up play, heading, and defending.

Neto is better than Martinelli, in my opinion. Quicker, more direct, and a better defender.

MGW and Saka--okay, Saka is better--quicker and better in-close ball skills. But MGW is more direct, let's see what he can do.

Podence versus Odegaard--Podence is much more creative and trickier player in the box; Odegaard more physical and has a good deadball delivery. But, in the box, I would take our Danny Podence all day.
You have a lot of good points…….but….
City have Pep.

Now before anybody jumps on me, let’s remember how many Mixers wanted Bruno sacked last year. ( I didn’t but I was and still am concerned about him).

BCWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You have a lot of good points…….but….
City have Pep.

Now before anybody jumps on me, let’s remember how many Mixers wanted Bruno sacked last year. ( I didn’t but I was and still am concerned about him).

I wanted him gone and felt it was a dead cert that he would be toast this summer. There were rumours the hierarchy was prepared to pull the trigger on Bruno, but didnt. Dont know what dissuaded them, but I fear it was the first of many decisions Shi and Sellars got wrong this summer.

However for me he starts the season with a clean slate and my full support.

Shi and Sellars on the other hand...

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wanted him gone and felt it was a dead cert that he would be toast this summer. There were rumours the hierarchy was prepared to pull the trigger on Bruno, but didnt. Dont know what dissuaded them, but I fear it was the first of many decisions Shi and Sellars got wrong this summer.

However for me he starts the season with a clean slate and my full support.

Shi and Sellars on the other hand...
tomorrow is our start with Fubotv…….compared to DAZN’s streaming at 720, it streams in 1080.
Doesn’t seem to have a highlights feature for any the games like DAZN did but at least we can supposedly save every game indefinitely.
At first look , it’s not as intuitive as DAZN but that’s ok.

BCWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
tomorrow is our start with Fubotv…….compared to DAZN’s streaming at 720, it streams in 1080.
Doesn’t seem to have a highlights feature for any the games like DAZN did but at least we can supposedly save every game indefinitely.
At first look , it’s not as intuitive as DAZN but that’s ok.
I was checking-out Fubo tonight. Outside of the football they dont appear to offer much value.

So long as the stream doesnt drop or the there is a significant time delay. Last season it seemed like DAZN was consistently at least 30 seconds behind.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
See I'd take there's all day long, and I don't think there would be many Arsenal fans happy to swap.

Back
Top Bottom