Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Bruno Lage

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Tomorrow marks pretty much 12 months, the Friday before the final match of the season, that we parted company with Nuno, with a farewell game on the Sunday to follow.

2 questions;

1) Whilst we have a better points tally and better league standing, do we feel we have genuinely moved forward as a club?

2) Can we see a repeat announcement tomorrow?

My answers, i have to say, is No to first and to second... Quite possibly.

T-dot-wolves

Groupie
Reaction score
That quarter final ****ed me off no end. We didn't even try to lay a finger on them.

If we lose, we lose but can we at least go down swinging?

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He got rid of Dalrymple, he got rid of Nuno, both independent thinkers with their own way of doing things. Don't know enough about Thelwell to judge. Lage strikes me as a weak character who would not stand up to him, so does Sellars. That do ya? Just opinions, the same as yours are just opinions.
Why does Lage strike you as a weak character?

berwickwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He got rid of Dalrymple, he got rid of Nuno, both independent thinkers with their own way of doing things. Don't know enough about Thelwell to judge. Lage strikes me as a weak character who would not stand up to him, so does Sellars. That do ya? Just opinions, the same as yours are just opinions.
I respect your posts, but in this occasion I think you're wrong. He didn't get rid of Dalrymple or Thelwell: both went to excellent jobs that were in a way promotions. One really impressive way that Fosun operates is that employees, whether players or staff, that do well are given the opportunities to progress. I think that's a definite policy to encourage young and promising at whatever level to join us. I do think we need another Dalrymple though!
Edit: I wish he hadn't got rid of nuno

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I respect your posts, but in this occasion I think you're wrong. He didn't get rid of Dalrymple or Thelwell: both went to excellent jobs that were in a way promotions. One really impressive way that Fosun operates is that employees, whether players or staff, that do well are given the opportunities to progress. I think that's a definite policy to encourage young and promising at whatever level to join us. I do think we need another Dalrymple though!
Edit: I wish he hadn't got rid of nuno
Thanks for the respect, rather than the insults from the resident know-all. The truth is that none of us really knows the detail of the management style, all you can go on is bits and bobs and general impressions. In my opinion the danger for Shi is edging over into territory he knows little about. Morgan crossed that line big time with his halftime dressing room rant at the Liverpool game. I just don't rate the voices that he has around him as football advisors, and I don't like the way he has reduced the pool of advisors and taken on more and more roles himself. These are my opinions no more no less.

Last edited:

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why does Lage strike you as a weak character?
I think his hanging out Hoever to dry was poor management and cowardly. Give him a *******ing by all means, but privately. I don't think he knows his own mind on team selection, chopping and changing constantly. He freezes when Plan A goes wrong and doesn't know what to do. I don't get the impression he inspires the confidence of the team. The disgraceful **** show against Brighton illustrated all of this.

Abbobrom

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
After our first three games, too now have fifty one points is remarkable. Injuries to kea players recently has possibly cost us a place in Europe next season.

After last night's games the lowest we can finish now is tenth. I bet the supporters of the relegated clubs would love to be in our position.

Give the Manager a chance and support him in the transfer window.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just digging out a stat again for the hell of it

If our xG at Anfield is less than 0.69, all 'expected' results based on chances created and conceded will have been worse than last season. xG against is already worse, and expected points stands at 40.26 which is four behind last season so can't catch up

(This is basing it on Understat's stats, I know Infogol does things slightly differently but still has the same pattern and we'd actually need a higher xG than 0.69 to overtake last season)

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
After our first three games, too now have fifty one points is remarkable. Injuries to kea players recently has possibly cost us a place in Europe next season.

After last night's games the lowest we can finish now is tenth. I bet the supporters of the relegated clubs would love to be in our position.

For me he appears to have lost the dressing room, with post Hoever-gate performances.

That’s impossible to get back for me. Time for a new broom.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For me he appears to have lost the dressing room, with post Hoever-gate performances.

Reportedly fell out with Benfica players which led to his dismissal

Seemingly has fallen out with players here

Now these have happened in double quick time, it's not a three year Mourinho or Conte job. So what happens if we give him his own team and he falls out with some of them?

Use a new broom as you say, and give it to Trigger on his way out, he'll appreciate the new handle and head

Stoichkov

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can we sing Lopetegui’s Gold & Black Army not ‘Barmy Army’ please. Always hated that. As much as goal music or ‘A***** get battered’

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can we sing Lopetegui’s Gold & Black Army not ‘Barmy Army’ please. Always hated that. As much as goal music or ‘A***** get battered’
Do not even get me started on that pile of small time turge.

Bill McCai

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
FTJWDl-UUBwx-Ak

The big question is - does this form carry over into next season? There will be changes made to the squad - will Fosun trust Lage to do that, or are we better off going for somebody else? Big decision.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Dalrymple went of his own accord but I was told (and several others on here have backed his up) that there wasn’t any great effort to keep him as he wasn’t particularly rated or liked within the club.

You’re right on Thelwell to an extent. My agent pal has been heavily involved in youth players at wolves going back to the Batth, Price, Ebanks Landell period and is good mates now with my contact. He felt his role had been diluted at wolves from as soon as Fosun/Mendes came in (though of course that’s pretty obvious). Whether that makes his replacement a yes man or someone who understands the very unique relationship we have with Mendes and is happy to work in that environment I suppose only one person can answer really. Personal opinion but I think Sellars falls into the same position as Thelwell was in towards the end whereby whatever happens he’ll be slated. If a player comes in and does well there will be “another Mendes player, what does Sellars do” or if a player fails (like that happens at every club) it’ll be either “Sellars is useless” or “Sellars is just Mendes puppet”.

I think what people don’t always realise is how many deals Mendes is involved in where he doesn’t represent either party. I’d love to find the link but read something about five years ago where Mendes was involved in the last 47 out of 49 players United signed under Ferguson right back to Ronaldo signing as a kid. Now I think we can all agree that Ferguson was no clown and wouldn’t have had his tummy rubbed by anyone.

It’s a common perception that Lage looks a weak character but I think that’s because he isn’t charismatic especially compared to Nuno. Though again purely from what I’ve been told expect Lage to go in the summer because the reality is (again only going from what I’ve been told and came via my agent pal and a certain squad member) is that he’s very abrasive to those above and below. I’m on the fence totally with that. We all want better football and if that comes from hiring a more attack minded manager or it’s different players I don’t know. One thing I’m sure of though, if it’s Lopetugi the way we play absolutely won’t change.

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

new broom's dow always work.I bought one From penkridge market on Wednesday and I ony swept down the garden path,and the ****ing head cum off. :tonguewink:

D

Deleted member drgr12429

Dalrymple went of his own accord but I was told (and several others on here have backed his up) that there wasn’t any great effort to keep him as he wasn’t particularly rated or liked within the club.

You’re right on Thelwell to an extent. My agent pal has been heavily involved in youth players at wolves going back to the Batth, Price, Ebanks Landell period and is good mates now with my contact. He felt his role had been diluted at wolves from as soon as Fosun/Mendes came in (though of course that’s pretty obvious). Whether that makes his replacement a yes man or someone who understands the very unique relationship we have with Mendes and is happy to work in that environment I suppose only one person can answer really. Personal opinion but I think Sellars falls into the same position as Thelwell was in towards the end whereby whatever happens he’ll be slated. If a player comes in and does well there will be “another Mendes player, what does Sellars do” or if a player fails (like that happens at every club) it’ll be either “Sellars is useless” or “Sellars is just Mendes puppet”.

I think what people don’t always realise is how many deals Mendes is involved in where he doesn’t represent either party. I’d love to find the link but read something about five years ago where Mendes was involved in the last 47 out of 49 players United signed under Ferguson right back to Ronaldo signing as a kid. Now I think we can all agree that Ferguson was no clown and wouldn’t have had his tummy rubbed by anyone.

It’s a common perception that Lage looks a weak character but I think that’s because he isn’t charismatic especially compared to Nuno. Though again purely from what I’ve been told expect Lage to go in the summer because the reality is (again only going from what I’ve been told and came via my agent pal and a certain squad member) is that he’s very abrasive to those above and below. I’m on the fence totally with that. We all want better football and if that comes from hiring a more attack minded manager or it’s different players I don’t know. One thing I’m sure of though, if it’s Lopetugi the way we play absolutely won’t change.
I'm sure i read a couple of times how Bruno was a breath of fresh air around the place compared to Nuno. I'm sure you have more info than me, but i'm sure i read it somewhere from earlier in the season.

Bugsy911

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
FTJWDl-UUBwx-Ak

The big question is - does this form carry over into next season? There will be changes made to the squad - will Fosun trust Lage to do that, or are we better off going for somebody else? Big decision.

That is very worrying and really highlights how bad a collapse we have had, it's so bad I wouldn't hesitate on sacking him next week as it's pretty clear behind the scenes we have imploded and that usually rolls over to the next season.

D

Deleted member drgr12429

FTJWDl-UUBwx-Ak

We're going to find out soon either way!

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
FTJWDl-UUBwx-Ak

That is really telling. Our form and results have dropped off a cliff in the last few months. I am not convinced at all that Lage will turn this around.

marrs-guitar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Unless we pull off a miracle on Sunday it will be 8 points from 30 and I wonder when we last had such a poor final 10 games in a season?

Even when we went down in our clown car with Deano & Morgan at the wheel we must have picked up far more points in the final weeks.

It must be the Connor capitulation with no wins in his 13 games.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm sure i read a couple of times how Bruno was a breath of fresh air around the place compared to Nuno. I'm sure you have more info than me, but i'm sure i read it somewhere from earlier in the season.
I believe that is/was the case. A new broom and all that. From what I’ve been told Lage is much more demanding of the players and more stand off ish, with no desire to be mates like Nuno was. Only trivial but I know the players and staff under Nuno had a WhatsApp group and Lage came in and had no interest being involved in it. He’s also much more involved in coaching and that’s where the abrasive bit comes in, in that he’s old school and treats them like kids and some of the more senior players haven’t liked that (which might back up the whole Johnny supposed fall out recently).

Brian Law’s buses

Reaction score
We have lost our zip, our mojo, we play with no pace and at times look pedestrian. We no longer have an identity and appear to go through the motions, is this the players or manager? . The big refresh is needed, urgently or we will be in a relegation battle next season. I don’t know if Bruno is the man to do this but he’s done okay at best with the tools provided and with very little coming his way to improve the team.

Flaneur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Sellars falls into the same position as Thelwell was in towards the end whereby whatever happens he’ll be slated. If a player comes in and does well there will be “another Mendes player, what does Sellars do” or if a player fails (like that happens at every club) it’ll be either “Sellars is useless” or “Sellars is just Mendes puppet”.
It’s all well and good saying this, but we genuinely haven’t made a good non mendes signing for a while now, so I struggle to see how Sellars can be defended.

From this season Hwang hasn’t been great, and the decision to sign him for £14m is the wrong one. That leaves Mosquera as the only non Mendes first team signing from this year, who can’t be considered a hit or a miss yet I suppose.

Last season you had Marcal, Willian Jose and Hoever, none of whom have been overly impressive imo. I suppose you could say Marcal would’ve been an alright stopgap to have with Jonny’s injury at the time, had he not have been constantly injured last season, & for £2m not terrible business.

Season before that you’re going back into Thelwell territory, but even then you’re talking about the likes of Cutrone and Jesus Vallejo who were massive flops.

Then, the summer we got promoted the only non-mendes deals were Adama, Afobe who we flipped for a cool £2m profit, Dendoncker, and Kilman. While this one was a success, it can’t even be credited to Sellars as this when Thelwell was running things.

The difference between Thelwell & Sellars is, although Thelwell got criticism, he was still bringing in some good signings, even back when we had Morgan… So far, Sellars hasn’t brought in anyone that could be considered a hit. (That’s not to say I won’t happily eat humble pie if we do make some good non mendes related acquisitions this summer)

DasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That is very worrying and really highlights how bad a collapse we have had, it's so bad I wouldn't hesitate on sacking him next week as it's pretty clear behind the scenes we have imploded and that usually rolls over to the next season.

For some reason, a lot of people have been glossing over it, as if it's only the last 2-3 games that have been bad or something.

It's more or less been relegation form since Jan.

From this season Hwang hasn’t been great, and the decision to sign him for £14m is the wrong one.

Signing him when there was no need to make the decision, especially with how it worked out, is such a bad one that I would call it sackable, it's that bad.

If it was a month or two away and he'd scored 20 goals, fine.

D

Deleted member drgr12429

It’s all well and good saying this, but we genuinely haven’t made a good non mendes signing for a while now, so I struggle to see how Sellars can be defended.

From this season Hwang hasn’t been great, and the decision to sign him for £14m is the wrong one. That leaves Mosquera as the only non Mendes first team signing from this year, who can’t be considered a hit or a miss yet I suppose.

Last season you had Marcal, Willian Jose and Hoever, none of whom have been overly impressive imo. I suppose you could say Marcal would’ve been an alright stopgap to have with Jonny’s injury at the time, had he not have been constantly injured last season, & for £2m not terrible business.

Season before that you’re going back into Thelwell territory, but even then you’re talking about the likes of Cutrone and Jesus Vallejo who were massive flops.

Then, the summer we got promoted the only non-mendes deals were Adama, Afobe who we flipped for a cool £2m profit, Dendoncker, and Kilman. While this one was a success, it can’t even be credited to Sellars as this when Thelwell was running things.

The difference between Thelwell & Sellars is, although Thelwell got criticism, he was still bringing in some good signings, even back when we had Morgan… So far, Sellars hasn’t brought in anyone that could be considered a hit. (That’s not to say I won’t happily eat humble pie if we do make some good non mendes related acquisitions this summer)
You missed Chiquinho who was a non Mendes signing.

Flaneur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You missed Chiquinho who was a non Mendes signing.
Wrong.. Successful deal due to Valdir Cardoso, Mendes’ right hand man

“ #Chiquinho is expected with his manager, Bárbara Paulino, on Monday at #Wolverhampton to do medical exams in the morning and sign in the afternoon. A successful deal due to the good relationship between Bárbara Paulino and Valdir Cardoso, who works with Jorge Mendes”

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I believe that is/was the case. A new broom and all that. From what I’ve been told Lage is much more demanding of the players and more stand off ish, with no desire to be mates like Nuno was. Only trivial but I know the players and staff under Nuno had a WhatsApp group and Lage came in and had no interest being involved in it. He’s also much more involved in coaching and that’s where the abrasive bit comes in, in that he’s old school and treats them like kids and some of the more senior players haven’t liked that (which might back up the whole Johnny supposed fall out recently).
I get the feeling he doesn't have the gravitas/aura to act like that, Fergie could because he commanded respect via his achievements but also a product of the time, players seem to want to be more pals and have a good environment these days, Wolves did emphasize team spirit for years so would be in line of a dislike from senior players to a change of working environment.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I haven’t got any of the links you have but what you say supports the evidence in practice. It was always interesting that Thelwell claimed that Dendonker was the best purchase he’d made which was telling considering Neves, Jota, pre injury Raul, Boly, Moutinho etc we’re at the club. I can see how his role was slightly diminished in that after the debacle of the double relegation he was in sole charge of football matters at Director level, I wouldn’t necessarily say he was as good as he thought he was.

With Lage I wonder whether the abrasiveness is a consequence of response to pressure. Personality wise he can lack charisma and be diffident. His first interview wasn’t great. But his continued implied criticism of players and club in public won’t have won him many favours.

All I want is firstly a successful team and then good football. Under Nuno we got both for 3 years. In the 4th year we didn’t feel like we were progressing and the football wasn’t great on TV. This year I feel we’ve taken a step back on performances. I know the table says we’ve got more points but I honestly don’t know how. The football is disengaging to watch and the mistakes are embarrassing.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I really can't see the players having any formal input into whether to sack the manager - you think that happens elsewhere??
Managers get sacked for "losing the dressing room" all the time!

The big question is - does this form carry over into next season?
Last 17 games last season:

Liverpool were 6th, and then improved massively this season
Leeds were 8th, and then dropped like a stone
We were 13th, and then (initially at least) bounced back
Man Utd were 3rd, and then slumped into mid table

So basically - doesn't really look like there's a massive link to performance next year.

Last 17 games last year

Zico

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One thing I’m sure of though, if it’s Lopetugi the way we play absolutely won’t change.
I'm on the fence as to whether Bruno should go or not. But although we'd all love to see open attacking football, the reality is that most of us want to see successful football. If Lopetegui comes in and gets the players knowing what they're doing again, and winning games, that's actually fine.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think his hanging out Hoever to dry was poor management and cowardly. Give him a *******ing by all means, but privately. I don't think he knows his own mind on team selection, chopping and changing constantly. He freezes when Plan A goes wrong and doesn't know what to do. I don't get the impression he inspires the confidence of the team. The disgraceful **** show against Brighton illustrated all of this.
Agree with you about Hoever, but many teams/managers now chop and change teams and formations to suit the game plan, rotation etc.
We should be able to cope with that and benefit from it; resting players, providing competition etc.

D

Deleted member drgr12429

Wrong.. Successful deal due to Valdir Cardoso, Mendes’ right hand man

“ #Chiquinho is expected with his manager, Bárbara Paulino, on Monday at #Wolverhampton to do medical exams in the morning and sign in the afternoon. A successful deal due to the good relationship between Bárbara Paulino and Valdir Cardoso, who works with Jorge Mendes”

Can't be right all the time!

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Agree with all of that. At the start of the season I said that anything above 13th was a success and that I thought we could finish 10th if we were lucky! We have been. Yes, we were close to European qualification for a while, and probably should have made it from where we were but a lot was made of our defensive strength and our good run of results after Xmas, when in reality we were lucky and reliant on some quite brilliant goal keeping from Sa.
That said, injuries to Semedo, Kilman, Podence and Boly (at various times of the season) and the loss of Adama have, I believe, really cost us, and Neto is still no where near fully fit either.
On the upside, we have found Sa, and Neves, Moutinho, Semedo and Kilman have all had excellent seasons but the squad as a whole was in need of a re-fresh and for whatever reason did not get it. Hopefully we do this season, combining the best of what we have with new, quality blood.

Back
Top Bottom