Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Bruno Lage

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Genuinely hate the the entitlement on this forum. Hope Bruno gets a massive pay off and ****s off from the idiots on this forum.

Wolves fans moaning about being 8th with this squad? Laughable.

**** squad as predicted in august, no **** does better with this lot.
Do you trust Bruno to build a new squad?

MikeH68

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Genuinely hate the the entitlement on this forum. Hope Bruno gets a massive pay off and ****s off from the idiots on this forum.

Wolves fans moaning about being 8th with this squad? Laughable.

**** squad as predicted in august, no **** does better with this lot.
You are joking right?

Burford T Justice

Reaction score
They’re not moaning about being 8th.
The football we’ve seen most of this season is very unattractive and at times, our defence has huge gaps in it.
But less gaps and no less attractive football than last season.
I'm not saying he's the right man to take the club forward but some of the reasons and moans are pretty hypocritical based on what happened last season.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But less gaps and no less attractive football than last season.
I'm not saying he's the right man to take the club forward but some of the reasons and moans are pretty hypocritical based on what happened last season.
Nuno had huge credit in the bank and we had the background of covid, was sacked on the basis of wanting more attractive football, ended up with worse football with Bruno.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

So if he goes who does everyone fancy then?

My list would include:
Steve Cooper, Christophe Galtier, Kjetil Knutsen, Bo Svensson

Burford T Justice

Reaction score
WE need to give a new manager the chance to bring in his own players, that’s why Large needs to go now otherwise if we sack him after the season starts whoever takes over will be stuck with his choices until at least January. Fosun need to do something useful for a change and get rid.
Why should a new manager get an opportunity that the current one never got?
Nuno had huge credit in the bank and we had the background of covid, was sacked on the basis of wanting more attractive football, ended up with worse football with Bruno.
The football isn't worse though. Its reverted to exactly the same as last season

SakosRightFoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Feel a bit sorry for Lage but then if he backed himself a bit more I’d have more support for him. We keep hearing he wants to play 4 at the back, he wants us to be more attacking etc, what have they been doing in training? Just looks like Nunos tactics to me which suggests a man not capable enough of imposing himself and his style on a team. There’s a difference between being a good youth coach or number 2 and being the main man and I have to be honest I haven’t seen him step up as we all hoped.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Id like Ange from Celtic, personally think he is very capable of building a good side.
Yeah seems a really good manager, you reckon we have the pulling power to get him from Celtic? I know Gerrard came from Rangers but Villa spend a lot more money than us.
Celtic also don't need to qualify for the Champions League I believe from next season so they are competing in that & they have a huge brand.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah seems a really good manager, you reckon we have the pulling power to get him from Celtic? I know Gerrard came from Rangers but Villa spend a lot more money than us.
Celtic also don't need to qualify for the Champions League I believe from next season so they are competing in that & they have a huge brand.
And bring in Carter-Vickers and Jota Mk2 with him. Haha.

Seriously good manager not a bad shout will want the CL campaign tho that we can’t offer.
Oh yeah, pipe dream but he really is a level above what we currently have.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Oh yeah, pipe dream but he really is a level above what we currently have.
Not watched a huge amount of Celtic but I saw him making Anthony Ralston who can barely kick it straight look like Dani Alves at times, certainly plays attacking stuff.

MikeH68

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Starting with 5 at the back to the bottom side with a -56 Goal Difference is a sackable offence on it‘s own.
The fact he hasn’t learned from the two previous games against Norwich - states nothing will change. Like others, not fussed if he left, unless he turns in a technical master class against Liverpool.

GV Wolf

Reaction score
So if he goes who does everyone fancy then?

My list would include:
Steve Cooper, Christophe Galtier, Kjetil Knutsen, Bo Svensson
You missed out the most obvious name. The name that most of the previous posts contain.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

You missed out the most obvious name. The name that most of the previous posts contain.
Yeah, reading up on him more i am not hugely unconvinced. Basically, not the most attractive football and whilst did well at Sevilla it is essentially how Sevilla always do because their recruitment is absolutely outstanding. Dunno, not got a brilliant feeling about him.

blakenhall wolf

Reaction score
Lage has done enough this season to be given some time and money imo.
Last few games not great I agree, as well as a few weird subs.

He was dealt a really bad hand though with transfers.

And as impatient as we fans are, Lage really does take time with the youth, much prefer that than throwing them in out of desperation

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
If I look back over the season, Lage put his print on the team for three Traore-inspired games, decided following Brentford that ****housing his way to 40 points was the plan, implemented the plan and then completely bottled it over the last 15 games when we should have been playing Bruno-ball with freedom in preparation for full time implementation next year.

Even when we were winning it was not even close to Nuno-ball, let alone whatever Bruno-ball was supposed to be.

Personally, I would move him on with my only reservation being I think he knows what changes the squad needs when it may take someone else 6 months to learn the squads deficiencies. If he did indeed write down the requirements the day after the January transfer window, I would use them as the blueprint but let someone else implement the new style

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lage has done enough this season to be given some time and money imo.
Last few games not great I agree, as well as a few weird subs.

He was dealt a really bad hand though with transfers.

And as impatient as we fans are, Lage really does take time with the youth, much prefer that than throwing them in out of desperation
Last few games? Read a third of the season....

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ve said it before, he tinkers far too much and overthinks his tactics. We don’t have an identity as he try’s to adapt the team to the opposition every game, hence why he chops and changes up front. However he can’t adapt in game and seems to be making increasingly bizarre decisions. Today for example we take the game to them for the first 15 minutes of the 2nd half with Chiquinho pushing on. We score and Chiquinho goes to right wing back. First half we had the bizarre situation of Jimenez wide right, Neto on the left and Hwang as a false nine.

Superted

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
If I look back over the season, Lage put his print on the team for three Traore-inspired games, decided following Brentford that ****housing his way to 40 points was the plan, implemented the plan and then completely bottled it over the last 15 games when we should have been playing Bruno-ball with freedom in preparation for full time implementation next year.

Even when we were winning it was not even close to Nuno-ball, let alone whatever Bruno-ball was supposed to be.

Personally, I would move him on with my only reservation being I think he knows what changes the squad needs when it may take someone else 6 months to learn the squads deficiencies. If he did indeed write down the requirements the day after the January transfer window, I would use them as the blueprint but let someone else implement the new style
Why would you sack the guy then make someone else use his blueprint and proposed squad architecture when you're sacking him based on his performance in a season in which he's mostly had to use someone else's blueprint and squad architecture?

How would that make any difference?

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Have you considered it could be Bruno’s tactics that have contributed to our strikers downfall?

Bruno is just some average joe. I can’t imagine any of the players look up to him or believe he can offer them anything to help them progress as players. He has no identity. He has no charisma. He is not a great man manager. His in-game management is the worst I have ever seen from any wolves manager. He is just some random twerp none of us had heard of 12 months ago that happens to be Portuguese. If his name was Brian from Preston that guy would not be anywhere near being a wolves or premier league manager.

Jiminez no. Clearly can't head with his bad.
Neto. Clearly coming back from injury.
Podence. Probably his best season but not consistent enough.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Last 10 games we have 10 points. Sevilla with a much stronger squad respectively in their league have 12 points. Not too much difference really
So because he isnt in relegation form in your original last last third of the season time frame you originally said, you change your amount of games to suit your argument. Seems sensible.

John de Wolf's hairdryer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He finished 8th with a **** poor hand.
We haven't finished 8th yet. Given that it's not remotely likely that we'll get anything from the Liverpool game, it is perfectly feasible that we could still finish behind Leicester, Brighton and Crystal Palace. I think 9th is now far more likely than 8th (Leicester will surely overhaul us), but it's not out of the question that we finish in 11th.

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Why would you sack the guy then make someone else use his blueprint and proposed squad architecture when you're sacking him based on his performance in a season in which he's mostly had to use someone else's blueprint and squad architecture?

How would that make any difference?
Bruno hasn't had to use Nuno's architecture, he implemented his own style using these players for three whole games. He then bottled it and decided to be a Thomas Frank. That was his call.

Personally, I think he is a thoughtful, intelligent football manager and our main issues (a fast commanding centre back, athleticism and aggression in midfield, a midfielder that can unlock tight defences, getting the whole team 30 yards further up the pitch) are likely to be in his blueprint.

It's the personality needed to implement his style which I am questioning. He had his chance to do it but has failed to do so.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why do people keep going back to last season to try to justify Bruno imploding here. Nuno went and we got a new manager because we didn't do well and the football was dull. He was supposed to change things and he went back to one of the reasons the last manager left.

People would be behind Bruno more if he was actually trying to change things and we could see some progression. All we are seeing is poor form and declining performances.

Longford Wolf

Reaction score
I keep reading that this isn’t Bruno’s squad, so he can’t implement his style of football.
Isn’t Bruno supposed to be a top level manager ? If so , why the hell can’t he get a team full of internationals to adapt to his playing style. It’s not like he’s had a full pre season and 4/5 days a week on the training pitch every week to work on it.
He can go for me, I can’t be bothered to watch any more slow, backwards, sideways, goal shy, boring negative football. He had the tools he was clueless how to use them.

Parkfieldswolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I wish I knew what Fosun wanted. It was reported they sacked Nuno because they wanted a better brand of football. Now did they think it was Nuno or the squad obviously they thought it was Nuno. So they bring in Bruno now did he promise to provide better play with the same squad? Maybe he thought he could but after the first three defeats he reverted to a defensive set up. I will say on Bruno’s behalf he was totally bummed by the board in January when we were in touching distance of a top 6 finish we failed to bring anyone in. I’m not bothered if he stays or goes but I hope Fosun’s idea of wanting attacking football still stands and they will provide funds to Bruno or a new guy to achieve it. 51 points so far (probably will remain 51) isn’t so bad but for me there’s a big sense of missed opportunity. We got so close and could have pushed on this year. I can’t help thinking with Newcastle coming in the money it won’t be so easy next season.

Superted

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Personally, I think he is a thoughtful, intelligent football manager and our main issues (a fast commanding centre back, athleticism and aggression in midfield, a midfielder that can unlock tight defences, getting the whole team 30 yards further up the pitch) are likely to be in his blueprint.
Weren't we saying the same things last year though?

I'm not trying to be argumentative but I can't understand why you're suggesting sacking a manager when you say you think he knows what the problems are and that he has a plan to fix it.

Bruno essentially got three new players. Trincao, Hwang and Chiquinho. Chiquinho ended up as the direct replacement for Adama. Hwang started well, then got injured and hasn't been good since and Trincao offered glimpses but nothing really substantial.

Apart from that it's entirely Nuno's squad. It's definitely not Bruno's preferred squad architecture.

TelfordWolf

Reaction score
I like Bruno but I feel very disappointed about how the season has tailed off. The first three games were an exciting preview of what we could become on the regular. Sadly 34 games later it feels like we have no identity and the football is turgid - still playing with 5 at the back even at home to a team already relegated.

Think a lot this summer will depend on how much money Fosun are willing to cough up. Not sure Lopetegui is realistic without the funds but it’s clear we need a complete overhaul of the squad. Fosun need to be ruthless and we somehow need to bring in quality in the ilk of that first PL transfer window.

D

Deleted member sbk12944

Doesn’t matter who is in charge if no funds are made available to implement a more attacking side.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I keep reading that this isn’t Bruno’s squad, so he can’t implement his style of football.
Isn’t Bruno supposed to be a top level manager ? If so , why the hell can’t he get a team full of internationals to adapt to his playing style. It’s not like he’s had a full pre season and 4/5 days a week on the training pitch every week to work on it.
He can go for me, I can’t be bothered to watch any more slow, backwards, sideways, goal shy, boring negative football. He had the tools he was clueless how to use them.

Every team in this division is filled with internationals. It's not like that's anything special or instant success these days.

Do you think you can change a player into something they are not in a "full pre season and 4/5 days a week" ? Go back to when Nuno joined, he was given 3 players a level above the league. Players like Batth., Edwards, Bright and several others long forgotten were tried and moved on as not good enough. Replaced with Neves, Jota, Boly. Thats like being given Kante, Mane and Van Dijk at this level! Nuno was supported far beyond what Bruno (and Nuno himself the 2 seasons before) were. How long would it have taken to turn George Savile into Ruben Neves? Would a full pre-season be enough ?:) So how long will it take to turn Donk into Maddison? Coady into Tarkowski? It's never going to happen. If you want to go up a level, you have to get players a level higher in.

Whatever we've learnt about Bruno not being good enough, we've learnt that a lot of our squad can only play one way. And that's the way that fits the system we had for 4 years previous. Expecting this change while the core squad remains the same, worth a try, but clearly failed.

Attack is different - still not sure what's going on there. We never had much of an attacking plan, it was always down to stay organised and wait for the magic from an individual. And set pieces.

Just a bit of expectation management - no manager is going to be able to turn this squad into that possession based, exciting attacking team. Seem to remember in our first season back, they said we didn't win a single match where we dominated possession. The matches we won, were won by not having possession! When we beat Man City 3-2 in the 2nd season, that was a rare case of us winning a match where we dominated possession. But that was very much an exception.

This season has been a natural progression from last. There's no sudden cliff, we were this bad most of last season, too. If anything, Bruno steadied the decline , yet once again, a chance to push on and build was missed in the winter window.

If we change managers, I can only see significant improvement if it is part of a rejuvinated project, like when Nuno joined. That we get 3 or 4 top players in too, and the new manager builds something new around them. Just like 4 years ago.

Rhyl Wolf

Reaction score
Bruno hasn't had to use Nuno's architecture, he implemented his own style using these players for three whole games. He then bottled it and decided to be a Thomas Frank. That was his call.

It's the personality needed to implement his style which I am questioning. He had his chance to do it but has failed to do so.
Could be miles off, but do wonder whether it was his call to abandon the attacking philosophy of opening 3 games? Fearful of relegation, maybe the powers-that-be had a word.

DasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Do you think you can change a player into something they are not in a "full pre season and 4/5 days a week" ? Go back to when Nuno joined, he was given 3 players a level above the league. Players like Batth., Edwards, Bright and several others long forgotten were tried and moved on as not good enough.

Tangent, but remember when anyone who said Batth, Bright, and so on wasn't good enough was attacked and slated? If you didn't think Bright was the next Messi, you were an awful negative person who wanted players to fail.

And yet look where all these players went.

Hell, there were still people claiming that Batth, a player whose severe limitations were obvious during promotion season was a decent PL defender as a backup! Now he's Sunderland in League One and can barely get a game.

D

Deleted member drgr12429

Could be miles off, but do wonder whether it was his call to abandon the attacking philosophy of opening 3 games? Fearful of relegation, maybe the powers-that-be had a word.
More like the players just couldn't play that way. You need to be super fit and fast. Maybe why players got hamstring problems this season too.

Back
Top Bottom