Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Bruno Lage

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You are making things up. Like i said, nobody said Nuno was brilliant last season like you are claiming. I could be wrong, but i doubt i am. And also like i said, Nuno had a connection with a lot of people here and had credit in the bank. Lage doesnt have that, I doubt Lage will ever have that.

Its hard for you to argue when you get called out on things you have clearly either got wrong or made up to try to justify your mates current failings.
Can you find one post where I said people were saying Nuno did brilliant last season? I said people still thought he was brilliant despite last season which they clearly did so please stop making things up muggy.

My point, which you can’t or won’t understand, is that despite us finishing 5 places better off this season, with **** investment, some aren’t having the current manager, which I don’t get.

My point, which you can’t or won’t understand, is that people are expecting better football with the same limited squad. It makes no sense.

In the 18/19 season when everything was glorious, with practically no injuries, Diogo Jota and a prime pre injury Raul up front, a 3 years younger Moutinho in midfield, Doc scoring regularly and a fit Jonny we got 57 points and 16 wins. Nuno was, quite rightly, idolised.

This season, with no Jota, Raul coming back slowly from a horrific injury, Moutinho being 35, a squad that is stale, **** investment and numerous injuries we will (assuming we beat Norwich and lose to Liverpool) get 53 points and 16 wins. Yet the manager should be sacked according to many posters.

This isn’t me making things up, it’s facts. He’s not “my mate” or “my boy” as you so hilariously keep saying, I just feel that he deserves far better in terms of respect from people on here and the job he’s done in the circumstances has been decent.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Find me one single post on here that said Nuno was brilliant last season.
None that said he was brilliant. But plenty that were full of reasons why it wasn't Nunos' fault. Covid, injuries, missing his family, empty stadiums etc. Bruno doesn't appear to have been given anywhere near the same leeway.

Your boy Bruno is losing plot so you start making up things to justify it. People were still willing to back Nuno based on what he had actually achieved here, his connection with the club, the fans and the City. Despite a poor season during a pandemic he still had credit in the bank with a lot of people. Bruno hasnt got that and he hasnt earned it either.

Very true. And that made Bruno's job harder. It was always going to be an added challenge following a well-loved manager and one that most of us did not want to be removed/sacked. Not the usual position for us, or any club!

We played poorly last season, and we havent really played a great deal better this season and our performances over the last 15 games or so, regardless of the competition, have just as bad as last season. If he gets the sack he can have no complaints.

The difference is that Nuno had 4 years to build the team he wanted. Bruno has at times been forced to field a team of 100% the same outfield players as last season. With the same players, we will play as poorly under any manager.

Sacking the manager while taking the field with the same core players next season (perhaps Neves replaced by some other little known Porto Under 23 "one for the future") isn't going to change anything much, results wise. It's just a cheap injection of hope! TBF this is what a lot of clubs do when they change manager. Nothing much changed for Villa/Leeds/Norwich this season. Contrast with Newcastle who got a new manager *and* made significant new signings. Guimaraes has transformed them, shame we didn't get him. Funnily enough, Burn & Targett have improved their defence, too. Not the manager.

Then contrast Nuno & Conte at Spurs. Spurs were as bad when Conte came in. Bentancur and Kulusevski transformed them, new signings. And all these are "ready to go" signings, not the "one for the future" we have been getting for 3 years that gets a load of hype then sent out to Grasshoppers or the Albanian 5th division. Perhaps you can tell who I think is to blame for not building on 7th place finishes? :)

Anyway, get any manager you like, unless we make several *big* signings in the summer, nothing is going to change that much. A gradual decline until we do end up in a relegation battle in the next season or two. Whether Bruno is the man to decide those signings, I have no idea, because he hasn't been given chance yet (and I suspect Nuno's departure was linked to the same lack of support).

Brixton Wanderer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Plenty is enough. You will always get some people who want better than what we currently have or who just dont like certain people for whatever reason. You wont ever please all of the people all of the time.
Plenty’s nowhere near enough. Bruno’s success is Wolves’ success.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bruno has 31 points from his last 25 and according to some deserves the boot. Nuno got 25 from his last 25 and is brilliant according to the same posters. Baffles me.
It baffles you because you look at results and nothing else. Those 25 games last season we were basically reliant on Traore and a 21 year old to carry our attack, even then Neto got injured for the run in. The five first choice forwards we had in our squad for the first game were all unavailable when we finished the season for one reason or another. If anything could go wrong last season, it inevitably did

Lage has had all the luck that deserted Nuno, and we're still playing ****e. The kids Nuno was forced to play last season are only options for Lage, and they're all better now after a year's experience under their belt. We beat Brighton last season with a starting XI containing Hoever, Kilman, Ait-Nouri, MGW and Vitinha, and most of those selections were forced. Most weeks the team picked itself because there just weren't any other options

Give Lage those problems, and I highly doubt he manages a point a game

None that said he was brilliant. But plenty that were full of reasons why it wasn't Nunos' fault. Covid, injuries, missing his family, empty stadiums etc. Bruno doesn't appear to have been given anywhere near the same leeway.
Er... so which of - empty stadia, interrupted seasons, back to back seasons and a catastrophic injury crisis do we need to give Lage leeway for?

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Er... so which of - empty stadia, interrupted seasons, back to back seasons and a catastrophic injury crisis do we need to give Lage leeway for?
None. I give him leeway for not being able to make Coady faster, Fabio able to jump, Moutinho/Neves able to be mobile, Traore possess a footballing brain, Podence a clinical finisher etc etc Unable to do the impossible with somebody elses squad, basically.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can you find one post where I said people were saying Nuno did brilliant last season? I said people still thought he was brilliant despite last season which they clearly did so please stop making things up muggy.

My point, which you can’t or won’t understand, is that despite us finishing 5 places better off this season, with **** investment, some aren’t having the current manager, which I don’t get.

My point, which you can’t or won’t understand, is that people are expecting better football with the same limited squad. It makes no sense.

In the 18/19 season when everything was glorious, with practically no injuries, Diogo Jota and a prime pre injury Raul up front, a 3 years younger Moutinho in midfield, Doc scoring regularly and a fit Jonny we got 57 points and 16 wins. Nuno was, quite rightly, idolised.

This season, with no Jota, Raul coming back slowly from a horrific injury, Moutinho being 35, a squad that is stale, **** investment and numerous injuries we will (assuming we beat Norwich and lose to Liverpool) get 53 points and 16 wins. Yet the manager should be sacked according to many posters.

This isn’t me making things up, it’s facts. He’s not “my mate” or “my boy” as you so hilariously keep saying, I just feel that he deserves far better in terms of respect from people on here and the job he’s done in the circumstances has been decent.

You referred to Nuno ( again, for some reason you constantly feel the need to bring him up ) from last season with "Nuno got 25 from his last 25 and is brilliant according to the same posters" There is your direct quote. No you want to slightly twist it with semantics because you got called out. Nuno was brilliant for Wolves. Thats a fact, but things went wrong in the end. He probably had earned another chance based on managing through a pandemic and with his success here, but i think we all know deep down he probably wouldnt tow the line Fosun and Sellars wanted him to take. He was equally as let down in the transfer market at Lage has been. Probably the only real difference is NES isnt a yes man and when you look at how things are going, its hard to argue against that. He vetoed players, rightly or wrongly such as Hwang who he didnt want. As soon as he is out the way, we sign Hwang. Coincidence?

Its also a very strange argument to say we had no Jota this season when we sold him in the 2020/21 season so Nuno didnt have him either, but you dont bring that up. Comparing what another manager did here to what Bruno is doing now is completely irrelevant. You judge whats going on right now with the current manager. At the moment, he's lost the plot and the team is playing poorly. Bruno has been decent for a time here, but the wheels are falling off fairly rapidly. And if we are being honest, we nicked plenty of games we were lucky to win and outside of those first 3 games we havent lost many we didnt deserve to.

As i previously said, if Lage gets sacked, its going to be based on form ( which is rubbish ), our standard of performance ( which has been rubbish ) and how things look for the future under him. At the moment, i'm seeing no promising signs whatsoever. We dont score, we barely create and we leak goals now.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Very true. And that made Bruno's job harder. It was always going to be an added challenge following a well-loved manager and one that most of us did not want to be removed/sacked. Not the usual position for us, or any club!

The difference is that Nuno had 4 years to build the team he wanted. Bruno has at times been forced to field a team of 100% the same outfield players as last season. With the same players, we will play as poorly under any manager.

Sacking the manager while taking the field with the same core players next season (perhaps Neves replaced by some other little known Porto Under 23 "one for the future") isn't going to change anything much, results wise. It's just a cheap injection of hope! TBF this is what a lot of clubs do when they change manager. Nothing much changed for Villa/Leeds/Norwich this season. Contrast with Newcastle who got a new manager *and* made significant new signings. Guimaraes has transformed them, shame we didn't get him. Funnily enough, Burn & Targett have improved their defence, too. Not the manager.

Then contrast Nuno & Conte at Spurs. Spurs were as bad when Conte came in. Bentancur and Kulusevski transformed them, new signings. And all these are "ready to go" signings, not the "one for the future" we have been getting for 3 years that gets a load of hype then sent out to Grasshoppers or the Albanian 5th division. Perhaps you can tell who I think is to blame for not building on 7th place finishes? :)

Anyway, get any manager you like, unless we make several *big* signings in the summer, nothing is going to change that much. A gradual decline until we do end up in a relegation battle in the next season or two. Whether Bruno is the man to decide those signings, I have no idea, because he hasn't been given chance yet (and I suspect Nuno's departure was linked to the same lack of support).

I'm not sure i'd say Nuno had 4 years to build a side. I made the comment quite a few years ago about how we didnt sign a real first team ready player between us signing Jonny in 2018 and Semedo in 2020. Apart from 2017/18 and 2018/19, We didnt really spend out on any starting 11 quality until Semedo and then Sa in 2021. I've been a critic of our recruitment for a long time and you cant have people excusing Bruno for not getting backed when Nuno didnt either really in the scheme of things after those first 2 seasons.

Our issue is clearly Sellars and Shi with recruitment. They want final say on transfers and its more than likely a big part of Nuno leaving was he wouldnt buy into that model.

And you cant really discount Covid. Bruno isnt getting the same leeway in that respect because Covid isnt impacting the world in the same way it was.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm not sure i'd say Nuno had 4 years to build a side. I made the comment quite a few years ago about how we didnt sign a real first team ready player between us signing Jonny in 2018 and Semedo in 2020. Apart from 2017/18 and 2018/19, We didnt really spend out on any starting 11 quality until Semedo and then Sa in 2021. I've been a critic of our recruitment for a long time and you cant have people excusing Bruno for not getting backed when Nuno didnt either really in the scheme of things after those first 2 seasons.

Our issue is clearly Sellars and Shi with recruitment. They want final say on transfers and its more than likely a big part of Nuno leaving was he wouldnt buy into that model.

Agreed. He built the side in 2 years - and that is the core we still have and that will be playing tomorrow. Yes, would also assume that the lack of the same kind of investment was part of Nuno's loss of enthusiasm. I'm not happy with either Nuno or Bruno being got rid of to hide the lack of real recruitment in the squad.

Though the record fee transfer is an interesting outlier, an exception to the rest of the way we've operated under Fosun. On paper, the owners could easily point at that deal and say "you were backed big time there, can't blame us for the lack of return on it so far. No more big money till you show you can spend it wisely".

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agreed. He built the side in 2 years - and that is the core we still have and that will be playing tomorrow. Yes, would also assume that the lack of the same kind of investment was part of Nuno's loss of enthusiasm. I'm not happy with either Nuno or Bruno being got rid of to hide the lack of real recruitment in the squad.

Though the record fee transfer is an interesting outlier, an exception to the rest of the way we've operated under Fosun. On paper, the owners could easily point at that deal and say "you were backed big time there, can't blame us for the lack of return on it so far. No more big money till you show you can spend it wisely".

I think its fairly clear with somebody like Silva it was a Shi decision.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
injuries.
Jimenez not returning the same player at least nuno had a fit and firing Jimenez for a while
semedo injury
boly missing half of the season
podence injury
neto only just from injury and still not at his best. Nuno had him for most of last season
Jonny missing most of the season
kilman injury
only having 3 senior midfielders all three have missed games through injury or illness
traore missing since January.

covid has impacted as well this season especially with covid test results disrupting training.

Last edited:

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You referred to Nuno ( again, for some reason you constantly feel the need to bring him up ) from last season with "Nuno got 25 from his last 25 and is brilliant according to the same posters" There is your direct quote. No you want to slightly twist it with semantics because you got called out. Nuno was brilliant for Wolves. Thats a fact, but things went wrong in the end. He probably had earned another chance based on managing through a pandemic and with his success here, but i think we all know deep down he probably wouldnt tow the line Fosun and Sellars wanted him to take. He was equally as let down in the transfer market at Lage has been. Probably the only real difference is NES isnt a yes man and when you look at how things are going, its hard to argue against that. He vetoed players, rightly or wrongly such as Hwang who he didnt want. As soon as he is out the way, we sign Hwang. Coincidence?

Its also a very strange argument to say we had no Jota this season when we sold him in the 2020/21 season so Nuno didnt have him either, but you dont bring that up. Comparing what another manager did here to what Bruno is doing now is completely irrelevant. You judge whats going on right now with the current manager. At the moment, he's lost the plot and the team is playing poorly. Bruno has been decent for a time here, but the wheels are falling off fairly rapidly. And if we are being honest, we nicked plenty of games we were lucky to win and outside of those first 3 games we havent lost many we didnt deserve to.

As i previously said, if Lage gets sacked, its going to be based on form ( which is rubbish ), our standard of performance ( which has been rubbish ) and how things look for the future under him. At the moment, i'm seeing no promising signs whatsoever. We dont score, we barely create and we leak goals now.
I compared 18/19 with this season. Jota was here. It was a glorious season according to everyone. The manager was a hero.

Can you explain why we are probably going to finish just 4 points behind that season, with the same amount of wins and the manager gets hammered by many?

Brixton Wanderer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
You must live in a world where everyone likes everyone else. In the real world, its not really like that.
Not sure why you’ve felt the need to try and patronise me. Don’t care to know why either.

Anyone who hasn’t took to Bruno because ‘sometimes you just don’t like certain people for whatever reason’ isn’t in the real world, they’re in their feelings. That’s their problem, not his.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I compared 18/19 with this season. Jota was here. It was a glorious season according to everyone. The manager was a hero.

Can you explain why we are probably going to finish just 4 points behind that season, with the same amount of wins and the manager gets hammered by many?
Its not the season overall,its the fall off a cliff ending thats the problem
4 wins in the last 15 games and 13 points in total is absolutely relegation form
Not even the results thats getting folk riled its the performances and body language of the team of late
Bruno is the main man and he should be getting some fight back into the side on a prolonged basis, not 15 minutes a game if that
The team look stale,not fit, and generally going through the motions most games,thats not the Wolves style i know and something is wrong

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
Its not the season overall,its the fall off a cliff ending thats the problem
4 wins in the last 15 games and 13 points in total is absolutely relegation form
Not even the results thats getting folk riled its the performances and body language of the team of late
Bruno is the main man and he should be getting some fight back into the side on a prolonged basis, not 15 minutes a game if that
The team look stale,not fit, and generally going through the motions most games,thats not the Wolves style i know and something is wrong
three of our most important players are missing semedo kilman and podence, it’s hardly surprising that performances have gone down, our form has suffered due to lack of depth and injuries to key players.

Leominster_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Same old people moaning about the same old things.

I’ve lost track of the number of times someone on here posted Jonny can play CB.
Lage does it and now he’s clueless and it’s borderline sackable…. Give me strength

people have got their panties in a knot over City ripping us one. We aren’t the first and won’t be the last. thier movement and interplay is frightening At times. Yes our CBs parted like a wannabe WAGs legs at times, but a couple of their goals were just mistakes.

coady pass bouncing off neves, and Stirling through on goal and Sa quite rightly got caught in two minds after giving away very soft pens. If he’d have carried on, Stirling would have manufactured the contact, like many of the others.

I don’t think the issue is with Lage, it’s more the players stuck in a rut and taking safe options Half the time, and you can see Lage going tits on the touch line.
If you watch the training vids, it’s all pass and move, find space. Match kicks off and some revert back to type.

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Because his name begins with a B and not an N ?

Joshwolf218

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Bruno will not be sacked

He will only leave if he walks .. if Wolves do not back him transfer window this Summer

I wonder what his term of backing is,

How much he wants compared to how much the club can give

Last edited:

Cuban Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Bruno will not be sacked

He will only leave if he walks .. if Wolves do not back him transfer window this Summer

Great - He has only had almost a season into his tenure here. Personally I would like to see him carry on, as in time he can mold a team to his beliefs, given a total shake up of the player base, both ins and outs.
Just look at Utd - they have had changed managers more times than some people have changed their knickers:eek:
And they have still not got it right.
Building a team takes time, you can't just walk into a supermarket and pluck players from the shelf.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A mile long by the looks of it. Really sick of the constant negativity on here. You'd think we'd been relegated!
Ok, performances have dropped off but the squad needs a refresh. We know it, Bruno knows it, the club know it.
Let's see what happens in the summer instead of second guessing it now..
But we cant dismiss the possibility that our bad performances are directly tied to Bruno. It’s a very valid concern and it’s reasonable to think that several of the players,( or even a majority), might have lost confidence in Bruno.

Whether spoken out loud or not, it’s likely that there are some of the squad or Wolves mgt. who have misgivings about Bruno.

My worry is that even with 3 signings of Bruno’s choosing, Wolves style and results won’t improve a lot by Xmas. Maybe some but not a lot. Why would I think otherwise?

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But we cant dismiss the possibility that our bad performances are directly tied to Bruno. It’s a very valid concern and it’s reasonable to think that several of the players,( or even a majority), might have lost confidence in Bruno.

Whether spoken out loud or not, it’s likely that there are some of the squad or Wolves mgt. who have misgivings about Bruno.

My worry is that even with 3 signings of Bruno’s choosing, Wolves style and results won’t improve a lot by Xmas. Maybe some but not a lot. Why would I think otherwise?
Pure speculation. I suggest you know less than me and I know sweet **** all.

D

Deleted member drgr12429

You don't know. No one knows. You can keep second guessing it but all it looks like is you (and all the others) are just being negative. It's all over this forum like a rash.
Why not be positive for a change? Like waiting till the season has finished and supporting your team instead of just slagging them off.
Or support Watford so you can revel in your negativity in 19th place....

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You don't know. No one knows. You can keep second guessing it but all it looks like is you (and all the others) are just being negative. It's all over this forum like a rash.
Why not be positive for a change? Like waiting till the season has finished and supporting your team instead of just slagging them off.
Or support Watford so you can revel in your negativity in 19th place....
No, no…..backup the truck a second.

First, there is a massive amount of negativity and frequent second guessing on the Mix and I usually am patient and optimistic……more than most.
Second, you’re right…..no one knows but I’m only expressing my concerns but I haven’t slagged the club or the players. If you read back you’ll see that my concerns are with Bruno and not the players.
If you don’t see red flags, then , great bully for you but I’m not going to stick my head in the sand and think all is rosy at Compton.

D

Deleted member drgr12429

No, no…..backup the truck a second.

First, there is a massive amount of negativity and frequent second guessing on the Mix and I usually am patient and optimistic……more than most.
Second, you’re right…..no one knows but I’m only expressing my concerns but I haven’t slagged the club or the players. If you read back you’ll see that my concerns are with Bruno and not the players.
If you don’t see red flags, then , great bully for you but I’m not going to stick my head in the sand and think all is rosy at Compton.
Unless you are at Compton and in the inner circle of the club (You are not) then all you are doing is speculating.
Why not for a change just wait until we have actually signed some players in the summer. Like CW says let rip after, but doing it before makes you and the people like you look like clowns.
People looking from the outside must be laughing at some of things said here.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Unless you are at Compton and in the inner circle of the club (You are not) then all you are doing is speculating.
Why not for a change just wait until we have actually signed some players in the summer. Like CW says let rip after, but doing it before makes you and the people like you look like clowns.
People looking from the outside must be laughing at some of things said here.
Yes….it was speculation and was written that way deliberately and without speculation the Mix would probably dry up. ( there I go again…..speculating).

However, let me ask you this….
are you 100% confident with Bruno for next season, if he gets 3 new players?

Back
Top Bottom