Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Bruno Lage

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
He's saying the same things as he said in the January transfer window and his body language yesterday had defeated all over it.

I'll be honest, I was agreeing with your body language point during the first half. It reminded me of Nuno during the Albion game. But in the second half he came out active, vocal, and all guns blazing, Which Nuno didn't do against Albion. So IMO -just IMO-he's safe.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

I'll be honest, I was agreeing with your body language point during the first half. It reminded me of Nuno during the Albion game. But in the second half he came out active, vocal, and all guns blazing, Which Nuno didn't do against Albion. So IMO -just IMO-he's safe.
Last game will still have a bearing imo, we go down 4 or 5 then he could be toast still

Nige

Reaction score
Just Cannot see any positives in keeping Bruno.. 51 points is below where we were the first 2 season back up... Last year obviously a write off with no Raul and other important injuries... Still managed 45 points..
Where was the more attacking free flowing Bruno ball we were promised... I must have fell asleep during those times as i didn't see them. Clearly Fosun have no ambitions but to tread water which will eventually lead to tears.
Big summer ahead

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think they can claim European distractions, West Ham went longer than Man U but their disappointment might have been greater as they only got knocked out last week. Wolves should have taken advantage of them both and sailed past them, but we were just not good enough.
Our biggest problem is an almost total inability to beat teams we should be beating.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

That is utterly damning.
Yeah, it is weighted 70% to xg 30% to goals, so not pure underlying data but I can tell you being a stats nerd it doesn't get any better when you go purely underlying either.

Does brighten my day up to see United down there with us though as well.

City are utterly frightening

Willywolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Yikes....
Not really sure what else can be said to that as the stats speak for themselves. I’m not sure I read too much into xg as such, but there is no doubting how few we have scored again this year. A bloody good job that we had a period of keeping them out of our own goal!
I am dubious as to whether Bruno can change it/make it right, but he certainly needs a lot of financial backing to even make a fist of it if he’s to stay into next season.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Solbakken was given a crazy amount of backing.
The old guard didn't fancy his football and wanted an easy life just for existing in the league doing nothing.

Club didn't turn a corner until we completely refreshed the squad. Which is what's needed now.
It wasn't just the old guard. He took Foley with him to Copenhagen. Henry was already overrated so his resumption back to the £100k midfielder we got from Stoke after playing above himself for a few seasons was bizarrely seen as downing tools - it wasn't that at all, teams just worked him out.

Solbakken had a bigger issue, in that the players he spent all his money on as you say, were also crap. Apart from Sako. Margreitter never played, Boukari injured or on loan and Doumbia was possibly the most disengaged footballer I've ever seen wear a Wolves shirt. Things aren't great with Bruno but under Solbakken the players genuinely looked like they'd never met, every game... Precisely why I won the best part of £800 betting on our relegation that year

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's lucky the standard is poor this year. We might finish 8th or 9th but 51 points would have only got 12th last season

And we are lucky to get that. Sa has won us more points then any other keeper in the top 5 leagues. Which is unsustainable

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Disgraceful.
We were surely up by Palace before the squad downed tools 2 months ago
Ah, so according to you Nuno was to blame for everything last season but anything that went wrong this season is nothing to do with Lage. Right, got it.

Absolutely transparent that you are desperate to rewrite history rather than admit just how wrong you were last season.

Stoichkov

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’d prefer Lopetegui - but some of you are dreadful, before his only transfer window to date he said he wanted several first team players

He didn’t get them. Sounds like he was offered hwang or nothing. No wonder we eventually dropped off when started losing key players to injury

Acid test will be this summer and whether they back him. My fear is that too many of our fans have already decided, and if we have a bad start then the knives will be out

Hence I’d go for Lopetegui if he was willing. We’re very much like Sevilla but in the Premier League

Manic88

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ah, so according to you Nuno was to blame for everything last season but anything that went wrong this season is nothing to do with Lage. Right, got it.

Absolutely transparent that you are desperate to rewrite history rather than admit just how wrong you were last season.

Did you carry on drinking right through the night?

Manic88

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I said Nuno was sacked to try and turn it around.

I didn’t say whether I thought it was his fault or not.

Corporate Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We can assume that significant planning for next season is already underway. I’d also assume that this planning will invariably be based on Bruno being the manager and the types of players he wants.

Conversely if there is a plan to replace Bruno, it really would not make sense to appoint someone and tell them that “oh sorry we’ve already decided which players we are buying and selling”. But this is Wolves

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Disgraceful.
Nah, our xg against has always been much higher than our actual goals conceded because of Sa. Xg was higher but not massively so.
Keeper is part of team of course, so we get credit for it - just relying on it again is a foolhardly risk

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Trouble is with Lage and one of the big reasons he has lost my support is I watch sides below us who have a game plan, have an identity and look like they will probably improve next season. With us I see the exact opposite.
That’s the issue. These teams with an identity know exactly the type of player they need to improve on the previous season. We don’t even seem to know what formation we are going to play next season because Bruno doesn’t trust the board to get the players he needs.

Notsoslimshady

Groupie
Reaction score
I think the whole "it isn't his team" thing is a little overplayed. What manager starts a job with "their team"?. The whole initial point of changing managers is to do a better job of the existing players. There is then some comings and goings with players in the first couple of windows, but no-one gets 'their'team by the end of their first season. Some managers appear to get more of a free reign when it comes to players, but we aren't talking about a very highly regarded, historically successful Conte going to spurs; it is a manager with 18 months or so of experience behind him. I keep reading that our squad is ****. Yet the majority were part of the group that got us 7th twice, a europa quarter final, and performing better than now.

I don't know, and no-one knows what the situation is with recruitment. Maybe some of Bruno's wants have not been great, maybe players offered have been good and he's turned them down. It is easy and seemingly fashionable to blame sellars and shi, and those that feel that way will do so.

For a large part of the season i was impressed with Bruno and he was winning me over, but a lot of doubt has come into my mind. Do i think he's been unlucky? Yes. But i really thimk it is overdome that it is not his team and i think there is an arguement that only pep and klopp have 'their' teams.

Just feels a bit uncertain at the mo. Couod be a great refresh and revitalisation, or could be a mess

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’d prefer Lopetegui - but some of you are dreadful, before his only transfer window to date he said he wanted several first team players

He didn’t get them. Sounds like he was offered hwang or nothing. No wonder we eventually dropped off when started losing key players to injury

Acid test will be this summer and whether they back him. My fear is that too many of our fans have already decided, and if we have a bad start then the knives will be out

Hence I’d go for Lopetegui if he was willing. We’re very much like Sevilla but in the Premier League
This is the issue for me too; Too many people will want him gone as soon as a midfielder passes backwards in the first game of the season.

I’m torn but would like to see whether Bruno has the ideas and ability to turn things round with the players he wants instead of the club having a total reset all over again - but it’s a huge gamble and not a decision I would like to be making, personally.

If I was Jeff I would be leaning towards giving Bruno some money and giving him a chance to succeed.

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think the whole "it isn't his team" thing is a little overplayed. What manager starts a job with "their team"?. The whole initial point of changing managers is to do a better job of the existing players. There is then some comings and goings with players in the first couple of windows, but no-one gets 'their'team by the end of their first season. Some managers appear to get more of a free reign when it comes to players, but we aren't talking about a very highly regarded, historically successful Conte going to spurs; it is a manager with 18 months or so of experience behind him. I keep reading that our squad is ****. Yet the majority were part of the group that got us 7th twice, a europa quarter final, and performing better than now.

I don't know, and no-one knows what the situation is with recruitment. Maybe some of Bruno's wants have not been great, maybe players offered have been good and he's turned them down. It is easy and seemingly fashionable to blame sellars and shi, and those that feel that way will do so.

For a large part of the season i was impressed with Bruno and he was winning me over, but a lot of doubt has come into my mind. Do i think he's been unlucky? Yes. But i really thimk it is overdome that it is not his team and i think there is an arguement that only pep and klopp have 'their' teams.

Just feels a bit uncertain at the mo. Couod be a great refresh and revitalisation, or could be a mess
Excellent post.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

If we have a bad start to next season after a terrible finish to this season i think the knives will rightly be out.

Superted

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
And we are lucky to get that. Sa has won us more points then any other keeper in the top 5 leagues. Which is unsustainable
Why is it unsustainable? He could just be that good a keeper. He was that good at Olympiakos as well by various accounts.

I'm not buying this notion that our good results and points won are entirely due to luck and other circumstances but the bad performances are entirely Bruno's fault.

It doesn't make any sense.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why is it unsustainable? He could just be that good a keeper. He was that good at Olympiakos as well by various accounts.

I'm not buying this notion that our good results and points won are entirely due to luck and other circumstances but the bad performances are entirely Bruno's fault.

Its probably a combination of lots of things. Poor recruitment, poor tactics and riding our luck has helped us at times, but then we have been unlucky and our game plan has been tactically brilliant.

If our bad results had been spread over the season i think Bruno wouldnt be getting criticised as badly. When it comes in a big block of games where we had a great chance to kick on then its obviously going to look like we have imploded.

Superted

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Its probably a combination of lots of things. Poor recruitment, poor tactics and riding our luck has helped us at times, but then we have been unlucky and our game plan has been tactically brilliant.

If our bad results had been spread over the season i think Bruno wouldnt be getting criticised as badly. When it comes in a big block of games where we had a great chance to kick on then its obviously going to look like we have imploded.
This is a point I made yesterday.

I'd be intrigued to know what the opinion of Bruno would be now if we'd had exactly the same season but our first three games had been the final three and we'd been pretty abject for most of the season then spanked Leicester, Spurs and United but lost all three 1-0.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

He's played at a level which on many metrics would mean he's not just the best keeper in the world, but the best keeper by a distance. You'd heavily back that that's not happening next year

I expect him to be good next season too but he's even dropped below the level he was performing earlier in the season which was just ridiculous.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Because he would have to be one of the best keepers ever to repeat it consistently, and anyway what if he goes down injured for a month? The defence shouldn't be shipping chances at such an alarming rate.

Superted

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Because he would have to be one of the best keepers ever to repeat it consistently, and anyway what if he goes down injured for a month? The defence shouldn't be shipping chances at such an alarming rate.
Well if he goes down injured or his form drops then that's bad luck. Which also isn't Bruno's fault.

It's either all down to luck, or it's all Bruno's fault, or more likely a combination of the two. It can't just be luck for the good stuff and Bruno for the bad.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I also wonder whether this “evolution” to a back 4 that everybody seems to assume is happening has caused a few divisions in the squad. Let’s face it, the defenders who will be struggling with the change know exactly who they are and that they could well be on the bench/out the door as a result. The midfield and attack would want the change as it provides more people around them, greater support and, especially for the centre midfield, less open ground to cover against more athletic players.

SakosRightFoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is a point I made yesterday.

I'd be intrigued to know what the opinion of Bruno would be now if we'd had exactly the same season but our first three games had been the final three and we'd been pretty abject for most of the season then spanked Leicester, Spurs and United but lost all three 1-0.

Obviously guessing and only speaking for myself but I’d say in that scenario it would give hope and show progression. Problem is the reality is the other way round.

I said yesterday Lage is more Lambert than Nuno, people forget Lambert had a great period in the middle when we beat Liverpool and then recovered from an awful run to win a few games in a row to keep us safe, then it nosedived. Fosun proved themselves then to be ruthless if they didn’t believe the head coach was right to take us forward. This feels very similar

Wolf in the sun

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
is it possible the small squad is the cause of the collapse...just knackered come feb/march...we fell away last season too ?

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Disgraceful.
Nope, it was still bad, it's just got worse and Sa hasn't been picking everything out the top corners for the last couple of months. Made the point back then that if you just did the simple swap of Sa's save ratio against that of last season's Patricio we'd have conceded something like ten more goals, and that was then. As it stands (just a stat), our xg against is already higher than last season, and we have a trip to Anfield to come

If the real life table reflected the stats table, it really wouldn't make good reading!

Screenshot_20220517-115724_Chrome.jpg

What's really scary, and should make people who ignore stats sit up a bit, is how accurate the table is with only a handful of outliers, of which we're one

And a little bit more, so on 1st Feb when we were all crossing our fingers we could push for 4th, our performances to then were more like this

Screenshot_20220517-125356_Chrome.jpg

And the drop off since the start of Feb

Screenshot_20220517-125549_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
D

Deleted member drgr12429

There is just more to it than " Lage is ****, he has to go". There are things that might have gone on behind the scenes, which everyone on here (unless Shi or Sellars have a profile here) will not know about. There are things on the pitch however which are very visible which explain a lot of what has happened over the past few games. To me anyway.
It's just not as clear cut as people would have you believe on the internet.

Back
Top Bottom