Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

British Premier League

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In principle I’m not against Scottish teams in the PL, but exactly how would that work? What happens if they finish in the bottoms three? What about the English clubs who would have to make way, since the big six have already been seeking a reduction in the size of the league from 20 to 18 clubs?

There should be no significant changes to the English leagues until the government review has completed and any reforms such as an independent regulator and fans on boards implemented.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just having Celtic and Rangers does a similar disservice to the rest of Scotland's clubs as the ESL did to the rest of England's clubs.
I was thinking about having the old firm in the English Pyramid when it looked possible the greedy six were ****ing off.

It would have made sense from a commercial point of view for those of us left behind.

I would be more comfortable merging the leagues with some sort of regional lower divisions though, thus raising the ceiling for other Scottish clubs.

With the greedy six remaining though, voting the OF in is a Turkey's voting for Christmas scenario though, isn't it?

In my opinion, Celtic could be monstrous with PL money behind them. Rangers less so but still formidable. They'd certainly be an obstacle for Wolves and everyone else.

Can't see it getting the green light TBH. Plus we don't need their sectarian hatred BS south of the border either.

Last edited:

TooMutchBull

Reaction score
Invite them in to the league Cup, the entire SPL. Its not as though the big six will give it any respect, particularly with the extra CL games and the sod it we'll qualify anyway approach.

woop woop barmy army

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They has been talk about a north and south lower league. Might be away in bringing them in along with other teams.

Personally it’s not for me tho

Bogota Wolf

Reaction score
The idea that Rangers and Celtic could join a 'British' League would be more ammunition for Johnny Foreigner to say that the UK should lose its special historical dispensation and rightfully have one 'national' team. After all and by any standards England, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales are simply not 'countries'.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No thanks rather change the format of the premier league to 26 teams relegate and promote 6 more games more revenue ect make the championship bigger and more exciting

topcat99

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If they want to join the English system they can.
Apply to join the FA

once admitted they can start in the Northern Counties League Division 6 and work their way up from there.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Apply to join the FA

once admitted they can start in the Northern Counties League Division 6 and work their way up from there.
Spot on. You don't just 'join' the Premier League, you earn the right by winning promotions. In the same way that Welsh clubs compete in the English Leagues, I have no problem if Scottish and even N. Irish clubs want to compete, provided they start at the bottom and work their ways up.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was thinking about having the old firm in the English Pyramid when it looked possible the greedy six were ****ing off.

It would have made sense from a commercial point of view for those of us left behind.

I would be more comfortable merging the leagues with some sort of regional lower divisions though, thus raising the ceiling for other Scottish clubs.

With the greedy six remaining though, voting the OF in is a Turkey's voting for Christmas scenario though, isn't it?

In my opinion, Celtic could be monstrous with PL money behind them. Rangers less so but still formidable. They'd certainly be an obstacle for Wolves and everyone else.

Can't see it getting the green light TBH. Plus we don't need their sectarian hatred BS south of the border either.
In the same post you’ve spoke about the “greedy six” then said you’d take Rangers and Celtic out the Scottish league as it makes commercial sense for the other 14. Hypocritical?

Olivergoldblack

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
sounds worse than the ESL.
Yeah right, we'd let them swoop directly into the most competitive and lucrative top league in the world just because they're perceived to be big. It's worse than Arsenal and spurs proclaiming themselves in the European elite. Celtic are about as good as Sunderland, and Rangers are about as good as Derby.

This notion of just re-arranging leagues to suit 'big' clubs has got to stop.

Olivergoldblack

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Why not?

We've already got Welsh clubs in the English leagues
I think it's because when those clubs were formed there was no Welsh league so just joined our fledgling system and stayed ever since.

I don't think border hopping from one established league to another is a good idea, it'd set the precedent of I don't know lets say the biggest european clubs all ganging up in one league.

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why not?

We've already got Welsh clubs in the English leagues
I was thinking this. Personally I'm not keen on Celtic and Rangers in our leagues, but Cardiff, Swansea, Newport and Wrexham are.

Kashmire Hawker

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I suppose with the brands of The Old Firm and the money that would come in; on top of UEFA being more-pro cross border competitions in the past, it might be worth a try.

Swansea, Cardiff, Newport and other Welsh Clubs, came in very different circumstances so should absolutely stay.

With Belgium and The Netherlands very, very likely to merge its top flights (with UEFA backing), I wouldn’t be surprised if this is the long term future.

And with Rangers looking set for another spell challenging in Europe, the benefits are major.

Reaction score
Invite them in to the league Cup, the entire SPL. Its not as though the big six will give it any respect, particularly with the extra CL games and the sod it we'll qualify anyway approach.

I like that idea. An Anglo-Scottish Cup
This is what I was going to say, the League Cup is long since dead so replace it with something novel. And then it’d put the Old Firm back in their place a bit when they get knocked out in the fourth round by Millwall.

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Here we go again

Who are Rangers’ global fan base? I can understand Celtic having one with the large Irish diaspora particularly in the US but most Rangers supporters are probably already watching their actual team play in England. If they were to join English football, they shouldn’t be allowed to walk into the PL, there’s some rather large clubs sitting outside the PL in England right now, they start at the bottom and work their way up as far as they can.

I’m not a fan of the idea of the play off at the top to win the league either, the best team over 38 games has already shown they deserve to win it. If there has to be a play off do something with the European spots, so a play off for a CL spot and the others falling into the EL but that’d require 3 guaranteed EL spots for the league. Probably helps them with their 6 into 4 equation too...

Last edited:

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think it's because when those clubs were formed there was no Welsh league so just joined our fledgling system and stayed ever since.

I don't think border hopping from one established league to another is a good idea, it'd set the precedent of I don't know lets say the biggest european clubs all ganging up in one league.
It does set a dangerous precedent. Combine all leagues in to one pyramid or not at all. We can't be cherry picking.

SmokeyGB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Apply to join the FA

Yeah.. My team is Tier 7 step 2 - So would love a home game against them both (Cricket score mind you), but the revenue shoudl just about pay for new fence around the ground, changing rooms and possible new Club house :D

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm not in favour of this idea of a play-off at the end of the season. The egg chasers might like it, but I think the league format works just fine as it is.

Lycaon

Reaction score
The whole idea is a bit of a none starter, if Rangers and Celtic came in then they could pretty much kiss goodbye to any European involvement.
However, replacing both association’s League Cups with latter stage rounds then that might work?

Olivergoldblack

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The whole idea is a bit of a none starter, if Rangers and Celtic came in then they could pretty much kiss goodbye to any European involvement.
However, replacing both association’s League Cups with latter stage rounds then that might work?
This thing about scrapping the league cup because theres gonna be more European games annoys me. What about the rest of the teams who aren't in Europe? They should just say if you qualify for Europe then you don't enter the league cup. Would really open it up for lower premier league and championship clubs. They could do the rounds the same time as the European ones.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
both would struggle to get out the championship, with the competitive nature of that league and the fixture demands

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
if they want to join the English league they can do what all other clubs joining do and start in league 2.

Expanding the league cup or creating a new cup might make more sense. Just have to keep an eye on not increasing the number of games clubs have to play by too much

Back
Top Bottom