Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Borderline sackable

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Against the best team in the country?
To be fair, given Burnley's record against us, I assume they are top 3

We experimented with Adama up front against them over and it was an absolute triumph.

I generally respect managers taking gambles.

Problem with Lage's gambles (today, Fabio + Jimenez as a two, bringing on two half time subs v Brighton) is that they haven't worked

W

WasStefan

To be fair, given Burnley's record against us, I assume they are top 3

We experimented with Adama up front against them over and it was an absolute triumph.

I generally respect managers taking gambles.

Problem with Lage's gambles (today, Fabio + Jimenez as a two, bringing on two half time subs v Brighton) is that they haven't worked
Starting Chiquinho no one would bat an eyelid. But play him next to someone who is an experiences centre half. Jonny may make a good rcb, but not when we are playing a very talented rookie at rwb. Sold him down the river. Dreadful selection

bigbadwolftoo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I tend to agree. Very unfair on the young lad and Jonny.

Our most influential player on the wing on Saturday that terrorised Chelsea, put at fb???? Strange.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Even so I think he performed better than the other two
I thought they were all rubbish tbf!

Coady is a great last ditch defender and ball playing defender. When he plays against a team with superb movement, he's too slow to react to any mistake.

Boly is a clone of the man I fell in love with.

Jonny was all over the place (not helped by Chiqinho playing RWB but that's hardly the young attacker's fault!)

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Starting Chiquinho no one would bat an eyelid. But play him next to someone who is an experiences centre half. Jonny may make a good rcb, but not when we are playing a very talented rookie at rwb. Sold him down the river. Dreadful selection
I guess we don't have a third fit CB on the books who has any sort of experience! Disagree that it was a dreadful selection, but it worked out dreadfully (if that makes sense!)

bod101

Admin & No.4
Reaction score
I thought they were all rubbish tbf!

Coady is a great last ditch defender and ball playing defender. When he plays against a team with superb movement, he's too slow to react to any mistake.

Boly is a clone of the man I fell in love with.

Jonny was all over the place (not helped by Chiqinho playing RWB but that's hardly the young attacker's fault!)
I thought first half Jonny was very good, not so much the second

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Was saying on the post match thread it was almost a 3-5-2 out of possession and a 4-1-4-1 in possession.

Thing is, it did sort of work going forward.

Chiquino constantly found space in the right wing position. Neto as a more traditional left winger set the goal up and Dendoncker (finally) got on the scoresheet.

It was a disaster in defence though. But it was Man City, so difficult to judge when facing that level of talent!

I’d stick with the 4-1-4-1 kind of formation for Norwich.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Playing Chiquinho right wing back and having Jonny as RCB cover. Give the young lad a chance. Guardiola’s eyes must have lit up when he saw that selection. Woeful decision

With the exception of Trincao instead of Chiquinho, that would have been my starting 11 tonight.

With our injuries don’t know what else Bruno could have done. Semedo, Kilman, Saiss, Podence all missing!

Please don’t mention Marcal instead of RAN. Sterling would have ran him ragged!

DasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Pep must have been laughing when he saw the tactics of play out from the back and tap it around 5 yards from our goal. High press and quality players, was an utter disaster of a tactic, and I can't believe that a professional manager condoned it.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Pep must have been laughing when he saw the tactics of play out from the back and tap it around 5 yards from our goal. High press and quality players, was an utter disaster of a tactic, and I can't believe that a professional manager condoned it.

Have to agree with you.

Willy Boly.

Enough said.

Deary deary me!

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With the exception of Trincao instead of Chiquinho, that would have been my starting 11 tonight.

With our injuries don’t know what else Bruno could have done. Semedo, Kilman, Saiss, Podence all missing!

Please don’t mention Marcal instead of RAN. Sterling would have ran him ragged!

Jonny RWB, Ait Nouri LWB….. central 3 of Boly, Coady & Marcal ( he has experience of playing there in the CL) .

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Even so I think he performed better than the other two
No kidding…..
Jonny is the defender I have more confidence over anybody else.
He’s cool, less apt to mess up and steady.. Last man back today and , no sweat, played it back to Sa .

Last edited:

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It was a complete mess. Coady and Boly were both detailed to follow attackers into the midfield leaving acres of space in behind. They are too slow and not good enough to do that effectively. And what is that supposed to achieve anyway?

Jonny clearly didn't know if he was playing right centre back or right back. There were moments Coady was standing right in the centre in his usual sweeper position and Jonny was hugging the touchline!

Everyone and their aunt could see De Bruyne needed man marking by Dendoncker after the second goal. How was Bruno getting his messages to the bench? Carrier pigeon from Portugal?

Chiquinho as a rwb worked about as well as Adama at rwb. Looked okay going forward but a complete gaping hole defensively.

Ian C

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No idea why Coady and Boly were drifting so far out of defense, just made us very vunerable against a team with three fast players up top. Boly was a car crash.

Bruno can do one for me.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When I saw the line-up, I was convinced that we would be playing a back 4. To play Jonny in a back 3 while Toti and Mosquera were on the bench and Dendoncker available made me raise my eyebrows and his performance was awful. To be fair, he was no worse than anyone else in the Wolves' side.
Chiquinho tried, but was playing against the best side on the planet, playing somewhere near their best, so had little chance to shine. The one cross he did put in was over-hit, but he didn't hide. He should start against Norwich, but please, no Jonny at CB.

As for the wider point, about team selection. Lage has been criticised this season for his team selections and subs. At least he tried something different. The fact it didn't work shouldn't be held against him, even if I didn't understand it, lol!

Don Corleone

Reaction score
Kept saying the same thing all game and why we persisted with it…well only the players and Bruno will know. City are another level although some of our play and defending left much to be desired at times.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
We were on a hiding to nothing really. We could have played our usual tactics and still got beat 4 or 5, City are that good. How we played didn’t work but at least we tried something different. I don’t mind us losing to Man City, ok they gave us a bit of a hammering in the end but they do that to lots of teams and plenty of teams better than us have given away 4,5,6 against them. I wouldn’t be rushing to make any snap decisions based on a result against them.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Playing a fullback in the back 3 is a very common way to set up a back 3 system.
Probably the most common way.
England do it with walker often .
In fact I think Stuart Pearce played there too for venables/Hoddle.

Not convinced it worked but the biggest weakness back there was Boly, I’m sad to say.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m in the middle here.

Loads of us were saying experiment after the last game, so we did.

I like the idea of Jonny at CB in a three longer term with a stronger CB to help Coady. It works. My good friend @Tring Wolf has suggested it before.

But experimenting like this puts Coady and Boly under more pressure, against the best attacking side in the world. So you have to question that.

Chiquino is raw. So talented but raw.
At one point he was chasing the ball as the first heat man forward, City switched the play to their left where there was no wolves player and almost scored.

We either accept that it’s experimentation (which again loads of us called for) or we go back to tried and tested for the last two games.

As much as I have my doubts re Lage we can’t have it both ways.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
At best you could have called the lineup brave. In the end it was a disaster and Bruno should take the criticism.
The correct phrase is utter stupidity. Another "master class" from a "manager" who isn't half as clever as he thinks that he is.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Re your last para you are ****ing joking. That utter **** storm last night is a sacking offence.

When I saw the line-up, I was convinced that we would be playing a back 4. To play Jonny in a back 3 while Toti and Mosquera were on the bench and Dendoncker available made me raise my eyebrows and his performance was awful. To be fair, he was no worse than anyone else in the Wolves' side.
Chiquinho tried, but was playing against the best side on the planet, playing somewhere near their best, so had little chance to shine. The one cross he did put in was over-hit, but he didn't hide. He should start against Norwich, but please, no Jonny at CB.

As for the wider point, about team selection. Lage has been criticised this season for his team selections and subs. At least he tried something different. The fact it didn't work shouldn't be held against him, even if I didn't understand it, lol!

Woburn Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It was a complete mess. Coady and Boly were both detailed to follow attackers into the midfield leaving acres of space in behind. They are too slow and not good enough to do that effectively. And what is that supposed to achieve anyway?

Jonny clearly didn't know if he was playing right centre back or right back. There were moments Coady was standing right in the centre in his usual sweeper position and Jonny was hugging the touchline!

Everyone and their aunt could see De Bruyne needed man marking by Dendoncker after the second goal. How was Bruno getting his messages to the bench? Carrier pigeon from Portugal?

Chiquinho as a rwb worked about as well as Adama at rwb. Looked okay going forward but a complete gaping hole defensively.
I agree re Chiquinho. He looks like he could be a very good winger but RWB he ain’t. No idea defensively.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Its tactical master and all around wizard, not professional manager, thank you.

Superted

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Once he'd decided for whatever reason he wasn't going to play Saiss, what was he going to do?

I suppose he could have played Toti in the back three and Jonny at RWB but then he couldn't have started Chiquinho and wouldn't have been able to transition to 4 at the back when in posession like we did in the first half.

I can see the thinking, it just didn't work out too well against arguably the best team in Europe right now with one of the best midfield players in the world on fire.

We didn't exactly help ourselves but let's not pretend that plenty of other teams wouldn't have suffered the same/worse fate than us last night.

Last edited:

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Was saying on the post match thread it was almost a 3-5-2 out of possession and a 4-1-4-1 in possession.

Thing is, it did sort of work going forward.

Chiquino constantly found space in the right wing position. Neto as a more traditional left winger set the goal up and Dendoncker (finally) got on the scoresheet.

It was a disaster in defence though. But it was Man City, so difficult to judge when facing that level of talent!

I’d stick with the 4-1-4-1 kind of formation for Norwich.
Yea you might have a point for the changing formation in attack. The issue with doing it last night was that we were playing Man City so any normal, sane individual would have realised we needed a defensive shape everybody was comfortable with.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Re your last para you are ****ing joking. That utter **** storm last night is a sacking offence.
Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result and all that. We've seen the same old, same old over the past three months with the exception of last 15 against Chelsea and most fans have slaughtered Lage and Wolves for the crap football and poor results. Bruno tried something different. Of course it didn't work, but at least he tried.
As for sacking - ffs!!!

Back
Top Bottom