Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Boly - a discussion .

Aimless Balls

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
At his age to keep breaking down is never a good sign.
31-32 just isn’t that old, he should have a couple prime seasons left.

Recently played a couple matches for Ivory Coast, did anyone see him?

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Bruno has made that comment publicly it sounds bad,maybe lost in translation? I dont know havent seen it personally,but Bolys days are surely numbered if true

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

In terms of a body that has been through Covid on top of high intensive activity then yeah, it might well be a bad sign, look at Aguero.

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I watched the Cameroon - Ivory Coast WC qualifier. He looked ok in that. Was never really tested for pace, so difficult to tell if he was carrying an injury or just having an easy night.

Aimless Balls

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In terms of a body that has been through Covid on top of high intensive activity then yeah, it might well be a bad sign, look at Aguero.
If our Willy Boly is still in that body, I want us to be the club which revives him. I don’t want to sell him for £7m or whatever to some French club, only to see him thrive in the CL a short while down the road. I do not believe he’s a malingerer.

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The last few games I saw him play he didn't look great.

Now he has fallen behind in the pecking order as we have one of the better defences in the league.

No great mystery... Kilman is now our best defender.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not so long ago he was everybody's first name on the team sheet. He hasn't suddenly become a bad player overnight. I would have him straight back in instead of Saiss, and use Saiss as a midfielder in games when we need a bit more steel in midfield ( e.g. against Burnley). Boly protects against an aerial threat better than Saiss and is more of a threat for us at set-pieces.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Crocked since covid. Shame how his Wolves career is ending really but time we upgraded I guess onward and upwards

Wolves Heathen

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Iv no idea whats wrong with Boly, he seems fit enough to play for the Ivory Coast but not fit enough to play for us, is it a mental thing or is he playing to get away ?, whatever the reason a fit Wily Boly playing at his best is good enough for Wolves, if he doesnt want to be here then its best that he moves on.

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not so long ago he was everybody's first name on the team sheet. He hasn't suddenly become a bad player overnight. I would have him straight back in instead of Saiss, and use Saiss as a midfielder in games when we need a bit more steel in midfield ( e.g. against Burnley). Boly protects against an aerial threat better than Saiss and is more of a threat for us at set-pieces.
Not overnight, over the course of 2 seasons of injuries and illness. I think you are remembering prime Boly rather than the current version

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lage saying there is an academy player who is close to helping the first team.

Has to be Cundle surely

Without a doubt will be Cundle. I think he will do well. Also feel someone like Richards may have to step up due to lack of options at centre back. Interesting that Lage today quoted as saying' we only have 3 centre backs'. Appears he doesnt see Hoever, Marcal or Donck as centre back solutions but I would have thought he will have to play one of them there if any of the current 3 are out.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Our CBs have been good largely this year. Boly isn't suited to a 2 at the back either. Much rather have him as an option but he hasn't been fit/played well for a while tbh.

lyechris

Groupie
Reaction score
Controversial! Boly is a great defender a real presence but pace and ability on ball is not in the same ball park, definately premiership quality top 6 doubtful, top 10 not sure!
If we are to progress we will need to upgrade in boly and indeed siess. It may be sanderson is proving a better option.
I do feel January, a further cb and a cm for competition equals top 6 football!

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I do wonder if Boly is/has been suffering from long Covid. He has never really been back at it since he went down with the virus.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Controversial! Boly is a great defender a real presence but pace and ability on ball is not in the same ball park, definately premiership quality top 6 doubtful, top 10 not sure!
If we are to progress we will need to upgrade in boly and indeed siess. It may be sanderson is proving a better option.
I do feel January, a further cb and a cm for competition equals top 6 football!
Who the **** is siess?

S G Wolves

Bad lover
Reaction score
Just read Bruno's comments about Boly. He seems annoyed about him keep coming from his international games unfit...

Comment about only having 16 squad players is a definite sign we will be strengthening the squad.

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not for me, Saiss has improved quite a bit, whereas Boly has regressed.

TriumphWolf

Reaction score
Without a doubt will be Cundle. I think he will do well. Also feel someone like Richards may have to step up due to lack of options at centre back. Interesting that Lage today quoted as saying' we only have 3 centre backs'. Appears he doesnt see Hoever, Marcal or Donck as centre back solutions but I would have thought he will have to play one of them there if any of the current 3 are out.
I’m guessing that his comment is primarily reinforcing the message to Jeff Shi that he is keen on at least 1 centre-half addition in January.

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Not everybody's!
Ive always been of the belief Boly was never as good as the majority of supporters would have you believe.
We are doing alright this season without him.... he won't be a huge loss.

Padraig

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just read Bruno's comments about Boly. He seems annoyed about him keep coming from his international games unfit...

Comment about only having 16 squad players is a definite sign we will be strengthening the squad.
He said the same in the summer yet Jeff/Sellars’ efforts at doing so were pathetic.

They have got to back him this time or he’ll get fed up.

freezin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
At the height of his powers he's an impressive player.

He strikes me as languid.
Sometimes a little more casual than the situation calls for.

I'd be concerned about him In a 2.
I'd be concerned with Coady In a 2
Boly and Coady in a 2 would be worrying.

We need to spend some serious money upgrading our defence and mid.

Sammy Chungs Tracksuit

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It is a bit of a mystery as to what exactly has caused Boly to fade out of the first team picture completely. Lets give some credit to Kilman though as he has been playing out of his skin and Saiss is a very, very underated player by Wolves fans.

Boly has been an absolutely fantastic player for us for nearly 3 seasons up til his injury. Whatever happens going forward from here Boly is a player who can look back with pride on what he achieved at Wolves and at his peak he has been one of our best central defenders of the last 50 years. In my book he is up there with Jolean Lescott, Dean Richards and Keith Curle but not in Frank Munro territory

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Absolutely. He has not been consistently good for a couple of years imo.
He’s not played this season so can’t really make that comparison

Last season - everyone was ****

He played in cup vs spurs this season and was our best defender that night .

Still walks in ahead of sAiss imo who remains a liability, although has done better recently

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Still walks in ahead of sAiss imo who remains a liability, although has done better recently
Hard to say. Recent Saiss has been better than the most recent versions of Boly imo, but we haven't seen much of him recently and may not have been fully fit when we have. I do reckon that our best bet for a back 2 atm would be Max and Willy with Saiss as deepest midfielder.

Royal wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hard to say. Recent Saiss has been better than the most recent versions of Boly imo, but we haven't seen much of him recently and may not have been fully fit when we have. I do reckon that our best bet for a back 2 atm would be Max and Willy with Saiss as deepest midfielder.
Individually you can’t argue that on paper Boly and max would be our best bet in a back 2 but I think they both need a voice next to them to keep them alert, more so boly

Ernie the Wolf

Reaction score

Cannot understand the comments about Saiss! A crucial part of a brilliant back 3 and has been all season.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Cannot understand the comments about Saiss! A crucial part of a brilliant back 3 and has been all season.
A back 3 that is protected by 2 midfielders 20m in front of them and a keeper 20m behind them - rarely having to do any one on one defending

You can’t fault saiss , but likewise would you rather saiss on the pitch at the back - or podence in the number 10 role connecting with 3 other attackers

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Apologies if I've missed a discussion about Boly on another thread. Not been around on here today. Does anyone know what's happening with him? A reply on this thread suggests he was in hospital for a couple of weeks a month or so back. He was quite ill but the club has kept it quiet.

Really hope he is ok, long covid can be absolutely brutal no matter how fit and strong you are.

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
Really hope he is ok, long covid can be absolutely brutal no matter how fit and strong you are.
Difficult to know if it is that. I do remember at the time just after he got Covid that Lage said he was struggling with his energy levels and had some chest issues. May be something else, we may find out when Lage does decide to comment on it. Also this from today:

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know someone who even 8 months after what was a relatively minor Covid infection, can hardly get up a flight of stairs without needing to spend HOURS recovering. It's like it has somehow damaged the energy producing/using parts of their cells, almost as if they now have chronic fatigue syndrome/ME.

If this is what has happened to Boly, even in a mild way, then it's understandable how he's got no chance of playing a professional sport right now.

Back
Top Bottom