Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Blackburn verdict

Henry Palfrey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just back from Blackburn. Seen a lot of the comments on twitter and had a quick glance at some of the post-match threads. Seems like Batth and Edwards are getting stick as usual. That's not how I saw the game at all, thought it was Hause at fault for the first goal by using his wrong foot to clear the ball. Some quick ratings:

Ikeme - 6 - Nothing he could have done for the goal, made a sharp save to tip one past the post. Got away with one near the end of the half when he dropped one off a set piece.

Doherty - 6 - Conway had him on toast. Still did the simple things well and tried to support going forward when he got chance

Hause - 5 - I don't know where the idea that he is a footballing centre-back has come from. Looks incredibly uncomfortable on the ball and on several occasions went to clear the ball with the wrong foot, one of which directly led to their goal

Batth - 6 - Looks like he is the new scapegoat now that Dave is playing well. Though he was relatively solid, won most of the aerial balls and got rid when required

Borthwick-Jackson - 6 - Good to have him in the team as he is comfortable on the ball and has the engine to get up and down the pitch. Sometimes struggles with the physicality of the Championship however I think the break from the team has done him good

Saiss - 5 - He certainly isn't the midfield enforcer I thought he might have been after the Newcastle game. He is loathe to go into a full blooded tackle and was ponderous and extremely wasteful on the ball. No surprise to see him substituted

Coady - 6 - Was tidy today and got up the pitch well to support the forward players which is important when only playing 1 up front. Always going to be question marks about whether he brings enough to the team in terms of goals and assists, especially if playing alongside another less creative player such as Saiss

Edwards - 7 - Played well again today. He really has stepped up and made himself counted this season when some leadership has been needed amidst all of the changes at the club. Having his most consistent run of games that I can remember at any point during his time at Wolves. Gave his all and tired towards the end. He gets stick from all sides but as far as I'm concerned he is the least of our problems at the moment. Top pro and top bloke

Wallace - 4 - Not a good performance from him. Looked off the pace and was wasteful with the ball. Can't be easy for him coming in and out of the team and never seeming to get a run of games in the team. Needed to take his chance today but sadly he didn't

Costa - 6 - Always a chance when he is on the pitch. He is technically very good and has a great turn of pace. Sometimes drifts out of games but he had a good last 20 minutes. Could have been a bit more clinical with his final ball at times

Bodvarrson - 4 - Shocking again. Doesn't win anything in the air and ball just isn't sticking to him. Backed out of the physical contest a few times today. Don't know whether he is carrying a bit of a knock but he definitely doesn't look like the same player as he was in the first 6 weeks of the season

Subs:

Lonergan - 7 - Great save with his feet to deny a certain goal and was steady

Teixiera - 5 - Attitude stinks. Looked moody, spent much of the time sulking and throwing his arms up in the air and didn't do his fair share of tracking back. Undoubtably a good player technically however not one you want to be in the trenches with when you are under pressure and in a difficult run of form as we are at the moment. The sooner he improves his work ethic and understands that you don't get free-kicks for minor infringements the better and he will be a real asset

Caveliero - 6 - Looks sharp and quick. Certainly done enough for a start against Derby in my opinion

Overall, thought a draw was fair however we got into enough good positions and had enough chances to have nicked all 3 points. Was very interested to see who Edwards went with today. Surprised to see that Price wasn't even on the bench, don't know if he's injured. For me, I think Hause is the problem at the back and I would take him out and pick a back 4 that we are prepared to stick with for a run of games. My biggest gripe with Zenga was his constant tinkering with the back 4 (sometimes in the middle of the game as well) which meant that there was no chance for them to settle.

D

Deleted member 3545

I predicted a draw do wasn't surprised at the result. Something isn't quiet right at wolves don't know if there's friction between the old and new players or the new signings aren't the right signings to get wolves out of the championship bit like the players SS signed cost a few quid but not good enough
Something needs sorting and I hope a new manager who ever he is can sort this mess out

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hause, Batth, Saiss, Wallace, Bodvarsson all absolutely awful. Missed clearances, laid back attitude on the ball, everything too slow, all making consistent mistakes when passing the ball five yards.

Looked like much more of a threat when Tex and Cav came on. Rocket science...

I think it's good that Texeira is stroppy - it was visible he couldn't believe the shower of **** he was working with when he came on last night. Somebody who's not scared to have a shot and do something a bit different.

Also enjoyed how when we equalised, lots of Wolves players were starting to milk the celebrations and Tex, Costa and Cavaleiro all went straight in to grab them/the ball as the job wasn't done. Say what you want but these three want to win and are technically good enough to open teams up. Start them all.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Verdict - the manager changes but until we get some effective goal scorers on board we will continue the Mick, Kenny and Zenga ( now Edwards) approach( that's around 10 years !!) of playing one up front and a defensive midfield only adding extra attackers late on if, Doyle, Fletcher , Dicko, Bod ( fill in the gap.......) dont score in the lone striker role and we end up going behind. Reason being strikers are expensive and we have never had the budget to do more than the minimum whatever league we were in.

B

Big George

The couple of hours spent in Blackpool was the highlight, a team with no ideas at all, it was painful to watch at times, infront of 10000 with an abysmal atmosphere it won't go down in the games to rememeber to say the least

arctic rime

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hause, Batth, Saiss, Wallace, Bodvarsson all absolutely awful. Missed clearances, laid back attitude on the ball, everything too slow, all making consistent mistakes when passing the ball five yards.

I think it's good that Texeira is stroppy - it was visible he couldn't believe the shower of **** he was working with when he came on last night. Somebody who's not scared to have a shot and do something a bit different.

Also enjoyed how when we equalised, lots of Wolves players were starting to milk the celebrations and Tex, Costa and Cavaleiro all went straight in to grab them/the ball as the job wasn't done. Say what you want but these three want to win and are technically good enough to open teams up. Start them all.

Bang on Sketchead , we were there and its clear we need a really strong manager and leader ... huge difference when Tex and Cav came on , why didn't they start ????

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Thought we had a decent 20 minute spell after their goal but apart from that, it was a pretty turgid display against what must be one of the poorest sides in the division.

Ikeme 7 - One absolutely top drawer save in the first half. No chance with the goal. Hope he isn't injured for any length of time.

Doherty 6 - Did ok. Great assist for the goal.

Batth 5 - Horrible run of form continues. Looks far removed from the player we saw up until the Wigan game. Lucky not to be sent off.

Hause 5 - Needs to make some clearances with his right foot occasionally rather than contorting his body to get his left foot on the ball (and missing it).

CBJ 7 - Pick of the defenders and at least looked comfortable in possession. Can he play centre-half?

Saiss 5 - Looked to pick a pass. Very rarely made one successfully. Can he play centre-half?

Coady 6 - At least tried to make things happen. Couple of driving runs into the box and long-range efforts. Can he play centre-half?

Edwards 5 - The Dave Edwards conundrum encapsulated in one game. Effort, lack of guile in the advanced midfield role then pops up with a vital goal. Thought he was poor yesterday but in his defence, has probably been our best player in October.

Costa 6 - As usual, our most threatening attacking player. Lacked end product.

JDB 5 - Hasn't looked remotely the same player since his injury. Didn't hold anything up. Can he play centre-half?

Wallace 4 - I'm one of the few Wallace fans on here but had a horrible game yesterday. Not helped by playing on the left and with it being his first start in a few weeks.

Subs:

Lonergan 6 - One super(sonic) save from Gallagher. Looked solid.

Teixiera 7 - Always positive. Did really well leading up to the equaliser. Silly booking.

Cavaleiro 7 - Looked far superior to anyone else in terms of touch and quality on the ball. Simply has to have a run of starts.

Rob Edwards 6 - Fairly uninspiring starting selection but in his defence, somewhat compromised by our continued inability to prevent early first-half goals. Positive substitutions had an effect.

W

we8wba

Ikeme 6 - mishandled couple crosses, couple saves you expect him to make
Doherty 6 - dire for 70mins then became attacking threat
Batth 4 - should been sent off
Hause 3 - as successful as a snowman in tanning salon
Jackson 6 - was okay, could been better
Saiss 5 - worst game seen him on the ball, good mopping up
Edwards 5 - bar goal was dire
Coady 4 - offered zero, shooting is weak
Wallace 0 - clearly won a competition to start
Costa 7 - clearly our only starting threat, went quiet when Blackburn realised.
Bodvarsson 2 - woeful

Subs

Lonergan 7 - not much to do but kept it clean
Cavaleiro 7 - helped change momentum of the game
Texeira 7 - wasn't always perfect but positive impact with direct running or passing (so refreshing)

Manager
Edwards 3 - dire starting 11, made the obvious subs to impact but even my gran could made those! 2points dropped

W

WasStefan

Relegation looms

Next game has to be same line up but with Teix in for Edwards and Cav in for Wallace.

Also tempted to put Dicko in for Bod

Don't get me started on the defence

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Tex and Cav made a big difference when they came on. Like Sketchead I was very impressed with how Cav grabbed the ball out of the net and then tried pulling away those players who were busy celebrating the goal as he obviously felt a draw was not acceptable.

MotorWoden

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We were poor defensively from the get go. Batth is quite rightly getting some grief but I thought Doherty was equally poor and Hause not much better. We had some pretty decent spells of possesion in both halves but really rarely threatened to get in behind them, a bit like the VIlla game. Overall a draw was about the right result.

Ikeme 6. Was a typical performance. Good save from Marshall.
Doherty 5 Slow and seemed to be half asleep sometimes at the back. A bit better going forward.
Batth 5 Not close enough to his man all game.
Hause 5 Did not instil confidence.
CBJ 6 He looked very comfortable on the ball and considering the shambles we were at the back did quite well.
Costa 6 Always looked to run at people as we've come to expect. A reasonable outlet.
Saiss 6. Not the most dynamic player in the world but solid enough.
Coady 6. Plenty of effort and got into to some good positions. Not much quality though.
Edwards 6 Scored again and narrowly missed another . I think he is the best header of a ball at the club but that's about it sadly.
Wallace 5. Not quite as bad as is being made out I feel. Played on the wrong side, did lots of running and was involved. One particularly poor cross, ironically from the right.
Bodvarsson. 6. Isolated and not too much in the way of service but, as others have said, seems to have lost his mojo.

Lonergan 6. Good save from Gallahger. Was solid enough.
Teixiera 7. Tried to make things happen and eventually that led to our goal. I wanted him to start in the middle and I think he showed he should have.
Cavaliero 7. Similar to Teixiera. Looked good on the ball when he came.

Last edited:

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bang on Sketchead , we were there and its clear we need a really strong manager and leader ... huge difference when Tex and Cav came on , why didn't they start ????

They dont start because I reckon Edwards wanted to stabilise things. Where as the fans wanted to see a breaks-off free style game.

Phitsanulok (Poole) Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Another disappointing performance that I was able to watch loud and clear on Sky Sports. It is pretty obvious that there are two Wolves teams, the inherited squad and this years newcomers. The consensus has been that the foreign players are not up to speed with the Championship and the inherited squad do not have enough flair. Rob Edwards in his first squad as caretaker went for graft and experience. It failed badly. Blackburn a similar side without confidence were more fluid and worked together better than Wolves. This changed when the two Portuguese came on and we were much more of an attacking force. Unless this disparity of the approaches of the two sets of players is resolved we are going nowhere this season.

The Players

Ikeme : No chance with the goal but distribution was poor 4

Doherty: Tried hard, got forward but did not seem to link with the midfield or Costa. Prefers to charge forward and go it alone. Struggled with the Blackburn attackers. 3

Bath : Danny is now like a cricket captain who cannot score any runs. He is making crucial mistakes in game after game which are costing us points. Yesterday he was miles away from the scoring giving him a free shot for their goal. Needs a rest and may struggle to establish himself at the level where we want to be. 1

Hause : His game was littered with mistakes and miss kicks but he is learning the game with a senior player whose own game has collapsed. As has been said many times on here our young players need an experienced head to learn from. 3

CBJ : Unable to link with Wallace and Edwards who was playing in front of him. Livened up when Cavaleiro came on. Quick feet and obviously skillfull he also needs experience. 4

Coady: Loads of effort and commitment he was involved in the game throughout. He was however error prone and had trouble linking with the players around him 5

Saiss : Always looking for the ball and always trying to be positive. However more mistakes than usual. I was astonished when he was taken off 5

Edwards: The archetypical Edwards game. Started brightly then completely disappeared. In fact I don’t think he touched the ball for twenty minutes at one stage. Quite an achievement for a midfielder. After the three substitutions he started running round like a mad thing in the safe knowledge he was on for the rest of the game. This game had the full Edwards package, an air shot, a fancy flick which went wide, other misses and then a trademark goal when he stood still for the first time in the game and the ball came straight to him. For the goal a 3

Costa : The most skillfull player on the pitch stood out like a sore thumb in our attritional lineup. 7

Bodvarsson : Struggled badly till Tex and Cav came on then looked a different player. Suffering through the average Joes supporting him. 5

Wallace : I always supported him and was optimistic he would turn into a good player but boy was he awful yesterday. Absolutely nothing positive to say about his performance. Must move on 0

Subs: Lonergan made one good save 5

Texeira : Made a huge difference 7

Cavaleiro : Looks better with every game 7

Rob Edwards : An absolute shocker 0

Referee : Obviously no controversies a good game.

Last edited:

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Short verdict: We look like a relegation candidate. A central midfield that can't create or control a game, a defence that can't do the basics which results in us going behind to start every single game and a centre forward who couldn't hit a cow's **** with a banjo.

Not looking good. FOSUN can chuck whatever money they want at the team but it won't make a difference if they don't appoint a competent manager to the helm. Also, why is our record signing Still on the bench and not getting a run of games? Only at Wolves........

B

Benson

A game of three thirds.

First 30-35 min: We were in total control of the game, looked solid at the back and created lots of chances to score. But couldnt find the net and went 1-0 down against the run of play with one of very few Blackburn attacks. 8-2 in shots for us and should have been one or two goals up.

min 35-70: We lost everything and Blackburn looked the far better team. 8-0 in shots to Blackburn and only Ikeme and Lonergan saved us to stay in the game.

min 70-90: After some changes from Edwards we managed to turn the game back again, dominated and finally scored and got a deserved point.

Ikeme/Lonergan: 7 or 8
Doherty/CBJ: 6 or 7
Batth: 5
Hause: 7 (has grown up to a senior defender - really impressed with him)
Coady and Saiss: 6
Edwards: 7
Wallace: 6 (dont think he was bad. A bit lightweight but did his job)
Costa: 7
Bodvarsson: 4 (sadly just not his day.. his worst performance for us)

Tex and Cava: 7 (perfect subs when opponents begin to get tired)

Rob Edwards: 7 (first 30-35 min proved his team selection was correct, changes in the second half saved us a point)

We had 1 point in 5 games before the game and a chaotic week for build up. We had to change things and not trying the same team and tactics once again. I just dont understand the negatives who seems to have expected us to play like Barcelona and win by 3 or 4 goals. Blackburn is a better team than people think and will end up mid table. A point away to them was good, with our background and last month.

Ian C

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We simply cannot score goals from open play. BOD is not the answer, what a comedy that our biggest goal threat is Dangerous Dave with Doherty a close second yesterday. We will not win games without someone stepping up to the mark.

WS10Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season 2013-14
Reaction score
That was bloody awful. If you can't defend properly, and can't take your chances, then you're going to get relegated. I'm sorry to put it bluntly, but that's how I feel at the minute. Blackburn are an awful, awful team, I wouldn't swap a single one of their players for ours, yet we struggled to beat them. A draw was probably fair for one of the worst games I've seen in a long time, played in front of easily the worst atmosphere I've known in a Championship game.

Rob Edwards made a couple of changes from the Leeds game. Borthwick-Jackson replaced Silvio, with Doherty moving across to right-back. Wallace also came in, replacing Dicko.

The game started in front of a sparse crowd, many of whom missed the opening goal for the home side. A ball was played out to the right. Wallace had failed to track his runner, leaving Borthwick-Jackson 2 v 1, and unable to prevent a cross coming in. It was a poor cross, matched by a poor clearance by Hause, who scuffed it straight back to the same player. His second cross was slightly better, and found Gallagher unmarked 6 yards out. Batth was stood at least 3 yards away, marking thin air. Gallagher's first time strike beat the dive of Ikeme and gave them the lead. It was a real catalogue of errors. I haven't seen a replay of the goal, but I remember the three errors clearly, there may have been more.

Wolves responded reasonably well. Costa broke free down the right and pulled a low ball into Bodvarsson. The striker took the shot on first time, but couldn't generate enough power, and it was a comfortable save. Wallace had a free kick in a decent position, but again could only force a comfortable save from the keeper. Bodvarsson did well to set up Coady in the box, but the onrushing midfielder could only blaze over the bar. Coady again had a great chance, but his shot was hit at the goalkeeper, and he was able to block with his legs. Costa again beat his man down the right, and Edwards made a trademark near post run. His flick was good enough to beat the keeper this time, but trickled wide of the far post.

It was a real "story of our season" moment, as time and time again we found ourselves in a position to score, but couldn't. You felt that Blackburn's defence was very frail, and that had we been able to equalise, it may well have opened up the game for us to win. As it was, it stayed 1-0, and Wolves were indebted to Ikeme for that.

After Batth had been ridiculously booked for a challenge where he was the one fouled, Marshall was allowed to bring the ball at least 20 yards infield without being challenged. He curled an effort which was sneaking in the far corner, only for Ikeme to stretch every sinew to flick the ball around the post. It was a terrific save.

At half-time, Wolves were forced into a change, with Ikeme picking up a knock and being replaced with Lonergan. Blackburn started the half the better, with Wolves needing to defend fairly deep and get a few blocks in. Wallace had a great chance after being released on the break, but stumbled at the crucial moment and lost possession. Lonergan made a terrific block after Gallagher had again been given far too much time in the box.

By this point, both Teixeira and Cavaleiro had been introduced into the game, and were having an impact. Teixeira crossed from the right, only for Edwards to head over at the far post. A great, driving run by Coady saw him chopped down. Teixeira took the kick, but fired it just over the bar. He was however, instrumental in the eventual equaliser.

The midfielder carried the ball cleverly, and unleashed a fierce drive, which Steele could only push away. Doherty did well to pick up the loose ball first, and chip it back into the 6 yard box. Edwards was there, as ever, and nodded the ball into the back of the net.

By this point, it was all Wolves, with the Portuguese trio of Costa, Teixeira and Cavaleiro running the show. The latter forced another decent save from the keeper, who was at full stretch to turn a ripping effort past the post. Teixeira fired wide after being found on the edge of the box. Doherty missed a chance to win it right at the death too, after more good work from Cavaleiro found the Irishman. He was falling over slightly, but still managed to hook an effort towards goal, which went just past the post. The full time whistle went after the resulting goal kick.

I feel a real sense of deja vu writing this verdict. I've lost count of how many games we've had this season where we've restricted the opposition to a handful of chances, but conceded from one of them through rank bad defending. And at the other end, creating numerous opportunities, but been unable to take the majority of them. I don't think we're playing badly, but our efforts in both boxes are really letting us down.

My question to anyone else who saw the game would be this- how many chances did Blackburn have which came from their own good play? My honest answer would be none. I think every opportunity the home side had was because we didn't close down quick enough, missed a chance to clear, scuffed a clearance, missed a header. I'm sorry but you can't do that. We're giving ourselves too much to do, time and time again, by conceding sloppy goals. We were fortunate that Blackburn were equally as profligate as we were.

At the other end, I think what's clear is that we lack a natural goalscorer. Someone who will do very little all game, but get on the end of one of Costa's brilliant crosses and score. They are few and far between at this level, granted, but if Fosun are serious about making this team successful, then regardless of who the manager is, January's top transfer targets should be a centre half, and a goalscorer. I think I'm right in saying that our top League scorer has 2 goals? We're almost in November.

Ratings:

Ikeme- 7. No chance with the goal, one outstanding save, dropped a couple of crosses, before he went off injured at half time.

Doherty- 6. Grabbed an assist with a clever ball to Edwards for the equaliser, and defensively didn't do much wrong. I think perhaps concscious of his howler against Leeds where he was too tight to his winger, he stood off his man quite a lot yesterday, at times maybe too much. It's probably the hardest thing to get right as a full back though, the distance between you and your winger.

Batth- 4. Absolute horror show. Awful, awful defending for the first goal, still don't quite know why he decided thin air was more likely to score than the opposition striker, so marked that. Having been (harshly) booked, he then lunged in on the touchline and was fortunate not to pick up another booking. I know he's the captain, but surely his place in the side is under scrutiny. My problem is, I don't think he's improved as a player in the last couple of seasons. He was great in League One, more than good enough for that division, and then carried his confidence and momentum into the Championship. He hasn't really got any better since though.

Hause- 5. Like Batth, all over the place. His clearance in the build up to the goal was pathetic. I like him as a player, and I think there should always be room in the heart of your defence for someone who will play with the ball, but there's a time and a place. He did improve after the break.

Borthwick-Jackson- 7- MotM. Our best player, I think. Very confident and composed, despite being left 2 v 1 quite often because of the wingers not tracking back. Brought the ball forward well and played with remarkable freedom for someone so young. I think so far in his Wolves career he's been a bit erratic, some good performances ruined by errors, and some poor performances brightened by some real flashes of class. There's enough of a player there though to suggest he warrants a run in the team.

Saiss- 5. First time I've not been impressed by him. Thought defensively he screened the back four pretty well, made some good covering challenges. His use of the ball was really poor though, some real basic passes went astray.

Coady- 6. With Saiss doing a decent job of screening the defence, Coady had a bit more license to get forward, which he did. Popped up in at least three scoring positions first half, but couldn't finish. Carried the ball well second half.

Edwards- 7. Never gave up, popped up with a crucial goal. My real problem is this idea that he's the man to lead our front press. If he pressurises the defender and pinches the ball, what's he going to do? We've seen over his career that he doesn't have the pace or trickery to get away from a player, so even if he wins possession, it's going to go backwards or sidewards.

Costa- 6. Had the beating of the defence time and time again. Produced some decent crosses, but at times perhaps chose the wrong option.

Wallace- 4. Woeful. First touch was poor, wouldn't beat an egg let alone a full back. His performance summed up by the moment when, on the break, he stumbled over his own feet and lost the ball.

Bodvarsson- 6. Another quiet game. Won plenty of headers and flick ons, but no one was around to capitalise. At one point, he flicked the ball on, and chased it himself for 30 yards to try and keep the ball. That's not sustainable for a centre forward, no wonder he looks knackered.

Subs:

Lonergan- 6. Couple of important second half saves.

Teixeira- 7. Good impact. Carried the ball with purpose, committed defenders, opened up spaces.

Cavaleiro- 7. Like Teixeira, made a real impact. Ran at players, took shots on.

E

Edgmond Wolf

Well the coach trip was entertaining 8

The pub stop was excellent, superb meal 9

The beer was good 8

The malt divine 10

The company excellent 10

The match was **** poor 1

The return journey excellent 8

Thanks for a good day out Telford Wolves

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They dont start because I reckon Edwards wanted to stabilise things. Where as the fans wanted to see a breaks-off free style game.
And I think both hr and Zenga want to start with a hard working eleven which will track back, and then bring the flair on later, that plan is flawed when we conceded early...again...

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well the coach trip was entertaining 8

The pub stop was excellent, superb meal 9

The beer was good 8

The malt divine 10

The company excellent 10

The match was **** poor 1

The return journey excellent 8

Thanks for a good day out Telford Wolves

Edge...I may have been lucky in watching the game on a rubbish stream, but I have certainly seen us play worse, and thought we were the better side pretty much throughout...not saying much though i suppose. Baath and Hause are not the answer to anything, CBJ has potential, Saiss a couple more dodgy passes than usual, Wallace poor, Bod no support and does not look fit.

OK...

We were ****! :D

Tex and Costa pick of the bunch.

D

Deleted at own request (WeAreTheWolves)

How Cavaleiro hasn't had a run of games is beyond me.

To then start Wallace ahead of him was bordering on insulting.

Yesterday, Edwards was too eager to make a point and it cost us two.

The midfield consisted of three hard-working, limited players.

Then to play Wallace and settle for a draw said it all to me. He cannot get the job.

It looks so simple to me, I just don't get it, play 4-2-3-1 and have Costa, Tex and Cav behind the striker.

Sure they'll be inconsistent, sure they might switch off defensively, but my word we'd give sides some trouble.

Be brave, be bold and attack, we could be really good, and I think we would've been under Zenga.

Don't throw it all away and play the likes of Wallace and Edwards because they may (not seen the stats) do more running than Tex and Cavaleiro.

E

Edgmond Wolf

Edge...I may have been lucky in watching the game on a rubbish stream, but I have certainly seen us play worse, and thought we were the better side pretty much throughout...not saying much though i suppose. Baath and Hause are not the answer to anything, CBJ has potential, Saiss a couple more dodgy passes than usual, Wallace poor, Bod no support and does not look fit.

OK...

We were ****! :D

Tex and Costa pick of the bunch.
All I can say is the eight hundred or so fans that made the trip fair play!

Ikeme kept us in it first half, and his replacement did better than I originally gave him credit for......

Defence, sorry I can defend better, seriously I can not defend these chaps after that performance

Midfield...err did we have one

Attack, I wish

The best thing about yesterday was the malt

B

Benson

Just a note about a "new thing" introduced yesterday. For the first time in years we had a goalkeeper not refusing to leave his penalty area. Clearly a new thinking introduced by Rob Edwards. But Ikeme didnt look comfortable at all with it.. but I liked it as I have asked for it for years.. we have conceded lots of goals because of our different keepers have not come out and clear long balls when our central defenders have been over run by fast strikers.

D

Deleted member 4456

I thought it was painful to watch, to be perfectly honest. Here are my ratings:

Ikeme (7) / Lonergan (7)

Doherty (6) - Batth (3) - Hause (4) - CBJ (6)

Saiss (6) / Teixeira (6) - Coady (4)

Costa (7) - Edwards (7) -
Wallace (3) / Cavaleiro (6)

JDB (5)
Starting XI -

Ikeme: Couldn't have prevented the goal. Looked flappy at crosses. Didn't really have a great deal to do in truth.

Doherty: Struggled with his full back. Didn't link up effectively enough with his winger.
Batth: Nowhere near his man for the goal and completely at fault. Should've been sent off.
Hause: Decision making far too slow. Painful to watch in possession.
CBJ: Positionally naïve. Didn't link up effectively enough with his winger.

Saiss: Substituted for some baffling reason. Better than Coady at least.
Coady: Anonymous except for the times he popped up in the box to take a shot. One memorable opportunity spannered wide from 10 yards out.

Costa: Our only source of quality in the first 60 minutes or so. We didn't get him into the game often enough.
Edwards: Rescued a point for us. Other than that, see the other 252 rating threads regarding Edwards for details of how he played.
Wallace: Congratulations on being yesterday's raffle winner. Not a Championship-standard footballer for me.

JDB: No shortage of effort but still seems to be carrying some sort of injury.

Subs -

Lonergan: Made an excellent save with his feet. Not overly busy after the 60th minute or so.
Teixeira: Added forward impetus. Perhaps should've come on for Coady instead.
Cavaleiro: Also added forward impetus. Needs to be starting games from now on.

Others -

Rob Edwards: Not really ready for management at this level yet. Needs to earn his stripes.
Officials: Better than of late.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wallace, Bod, Batth were dreadful. I thought Borthwick Jackson looked class as did Cav and Tex when they came on. Costa also looked good.
It will be a disgrace if the likes of Wallace start the next match and Cav and Tex don't. Both far superior players and they showed it when they came on. In fact Edwards should have started both but instead chose a boring cautious line up. Really disappointed in him last night to be honest.
Please please please start Costa, Cav and Tex in the next game! No excuses!

Ewok vs Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yesterday just confirmed that we desperately need a proven championship manager to sort us out, a saunders type appointment could easily see us scrapping at the bottom end.

E

Edgmond Wolf

Yesterday just confirmed that we desperately need a proven championship manager to sort us out, a saunders type appointment could easily see us scrapping at the bottom end.
This in Spades

And quickly...relegation is looming

Norwegian Wolf

Reaction score
That was bloody awful. If you can't defend properly, and can't take your chances, then you're going to get relegated. I'm sorry to put it bluntly, but that's how I feel at the minute. Blackburn are an awful, awful team, I wouldn't swap a single one of their players for ours, yet we struggled to beat them. A draw was probably fair for one of the worst games I've seen in a long time, played in front of easily the worst atmosphere I've known in a Championship game.

Rob Edwards made a couple of changes from the Leeds game. Borthwick-Jackson replaced Silvio, with Doherty moving across to right-back. Wallace also came in, replacing Dicko.

The game started in front of a sparse crowd, many of whom missed the opening goal for the home side. A ball was played out to the right. Wallace had failed to track his runner, leaving Borthwick-Jackson 2 v 1, and unable to prevent a cross coming in. It was a poor cross, matched by a poor clearance by Hause, who scuffed it straight back to the same player. His second cross was slightly better, and found Gallagher unmarked 6 yards out. Batth was stood at least 3 yards away, marking thin air. Gallagher's first time strike beat the dive of Ikeme and gave them the lead. It was a real catalogue of errors. I haven't seen a replay of the goal, but I remember the three errors clearly, there may have been more.

Wolves responded reasonably well. Costa broke free down the right and pulled a low ball into Bodvarsson. The striker took the shot on first time, but couldn't generate enough power, and it was a comfortable save. Wallace had a free kick in a decent position, but again could only force a comfortable save from the keeper. Bodvarsson did well to set up Coady in the box, but the onrushing midfielder could only blaze over the bar. Coady again had a great chance, but his shot was hit at the goalkeeper, and he was able to block with his legs. Costa again beat his man down the right, and Edwards made a trademark near post run. His flick was good enough to beat the keeper this time, but trickled wide of the far post.

It was a real "story of our season" moment, as time and time again we found ourselves in a position to score, but couldn't. You felt that Blackburn's defence was very frail, and that had we been able to equalise, it may well have opened up the game for us to win. As it was, it stayed 1-0, and Wolves were indebted to Ikeme for that.

After Batth had been ridiculously booked for a challenge where he was the one fouled, Marshall was allowed to bring the ball at least 20 yards infield without being challenged. He curled an effort which was sneaking in the far corner, only for Ikeme to stretch every sinew to flick the ball around the post. It was a terrific save.

At half-time, Wolves were forced into a change, with Ikeme picking up a knock and being replaced with Lonergan. Blackburn started the half the better, with Wolves needing to defend fairly deep and get a few blocks in. Wallace had a great chance after being released on the break, but stumbled at the crucial moment and lost possession. Lonergan made a terrific block after Gallagher had again been given far too much time in the box.

By this point, both Teixeira and Cavaleiro had been introduced into the game, and were having an impact. Teixeira crossed from the right, only for Edwards to head over at the far post. A great, driving run by Coady saw him chopped down. Teixeira took the kick, but fired it just over the bar. He was however, instrumental in the eventual equaliser.

The midfielder carried the ball cleverly, and unleashed a fierce drive, which Steele could only push away. Doherty did well to pick up the loose ball first, and chip it back into the 6 yard box. Edwards was there, as ever, and nodded the ball into the back of the net.

By this point, it was all Wolves, with the Portuguese trio of Costa, Teixeira and Cavaleiro running the show. The latter forced another decent save from the keeper, who was at full stretch to turn a ripping effort past the post. Teixeira fired wide after being found on the edge of the box. Doherty missed a chance to win it right at the death too, after more good work from Cavaleiro found the Irishman. He was falling over slightly, but still managed to hook an effort towards goal, which went just past the post. The full time whistle went after the resulting goal kick.

I feel a real sense of deja vu writing this verdict. I've lost count of how many games we've had this season where we've restricted the opposition to a handful of chances, but conceded from one of them through rank bad defending. And at the other end, creating numerous opportunities, but been unable to take the majority of them. I don't think we're playing badly, but our efforts in both boxes are really letting us down.

My question to anyone else who saw the game would be this- how many chances did Blackburn have which came from their own good play? My honest answer would be none. I think every opportunity the home side had was because we didn't close down quick enough, missed a chance to clear, scuffed a clearance, missed a header. I'm sorry but you can't do that. We're giving ourselves too much to do, time and time again, by conceding sloppy goals. We were fortunate that Blackburn were equally as profligate as we were.

At the other end, I think what's clear is that we lack a natural goalscorer. Someone who will do very little all game, but get on the end of one of Costa's brilliant crosses and score. They are few and far between at this level, granted, but if Fosun are serious about making this team successful, then regardless of who the manager is, January's top transfer targets should be a centre half, and a goalscorer. I think I'm right in saying that our top League scorer has 2 goals? We're almost in November.

Ratings:

Ikeme- 7. No chance with the goal, one outstanding save, dropped a couple of crosses, before he went off injured at half time.

Doherty- 6. Grabbed an assist with a clever ball to Edwards for the equaliser, and defensively didn't do much wrong. I think perhaps concscious of his howler against Leeds where he was too tight to his winger, he stood off his man quite a lot yesterday, at times maybe too much. It's probably the hardest thing to get right as a full back though, the distance between you and your winger.

Batth- 4. Absolute horror show. Awful, awful defending for the first goal, still don't quite know why he decided thin air was more likely to score than the opposition striker, so marked that. Having been (harshly) booked, he then lunged in on the touchline and was fortunate not to pick up another booking. I know he's the captain, but surely his place in the side is under scrutiny. My problem is, I don't think he's improved as a player in the last couple of seasons. He was great in League One, more than good enough for that division, and then carried his confidence and momentum into the Championship. He hasn't really got any better since though.

Hause- 5. Like Batth, all over the place. His clearance in the build up to the goal was pathetic. I like him as a player, and I think there should always be room in the heart of your defence for someone who will play with the ball, but there's a time and a place. He did improve after the break.

Borthwick-Jackson- 7- MotM. Our best player, I think. Very confident and composed, despite being left 2 v 1 quite often because of the wingers not tracking back. Brought the ball forward well and played with remarkable freedom for someone so young. I think so far in his Wolves career he's been a bit erratic, some good performances ruined by errors, and some poor performances brightened by some real flashes of class. There's enough of a player there though to suggest he warrants a run in the team.

Saiss- 5. First time I've not been impressed by him. Thought defensively he screened the back four pretty well, made some good covering challenges. His use of the ball was really poor though, some real basic passes went astray.

Coady- 6. With Saiss doing a decent job of screening the defence, Coady had a bit more license to get forward, which he did. Popped up in at least three scoring positions first half, but couldn't finish. Carried the ball well second half.

Edwards- 7. Never gave up, popped up with a crucial goal. My real problem is this idea that he's the man to lead our front press. If he pressurises the defender and pinches the ball, what's he going to do? We've seen over his career that he doesn't have the pace or trickery to get away from a player, so even if he wins possession, it's going to go backwards or sidewards.

Costa- 6. Had the beating of the defence time and time again. Produced some decent crosses, but at times perhaps chose the wrong option.

Wallace- 4. Woeful. First touch was poor, wouldn't beat an egg let alone a full back. His performance summed up by the moment when, on the break, he stumbled over his own feet and lost the ball.

Bodvarsson- 6. Another quiet game. Won plenty of headers and flick ons, but no one was around to capitalise. At one point, he flicked the ball on, and chased it himself for 30 yards to try and keep the ball. That's not sustainable for a centre forward, no wondern.

Your reports are always excellent and that was possibly the best and most insightful of all of them.

My only disagreement (based on tv viewing I admit) was on CBJ. I think a full back's number one task is to stop balls coming into the box (the number two priority is to repeat number one etc.). CBJ never seems to do that. He usually stands back off the winger and then invariably turns his back as the ball sails past him. He is good at passing the ball to feet, but he looked very weak again last night whenever he was faced by a winger with the ball.

Stee

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
One of those games where I barely wanted to watch at times, shouting at the screen when we gave the ball away needlessly or just couldn't seem to get it under control and so much hoofball from our defenders and midfielders towards poor old Bod. I think my cackle moment was when Wallace actually made a run forwards at pace and then at the vital moment managed to fall over and give the ball away again...comedy stuff.

The subs made a big difference, I really don't see why we can't just play Bod/Dicko up front with Tex, Cav and Costa given free roam behind them. Surely that would cause teams some real trouble? They can be supported by one of two deeper midfielders who must not be Edwards! He can be a sub to come in behind the striker later if we need it. I am a fan of Dave and he gave what he usually does, tons of effort, awful touch and decision making and then arrival in the box at the right moment to get us a point...too harshly judged by many in my opinion but there we go.

Our problems stem from the back though in my view, these younger CB's are still developing and we are asking for trouble because I just don't think DB is a leader character, he looks imposing but I don't feel confident when I watch him, I would rather see him partnered with Stears again I think they can work well together, why did we get him back and then continue to use more inexperienced players in such a vital position?

Anyway the frustrating thing is that in moments we can look a threatening team but this negative set-up is just so ****ing painful to watch sometimes. If we started with the flair players we will lose as many games as we already are but I think we'd bloody win some as well if we scored early and then kicked on! Arrgghhh

D

Deleted member 3573J

Spot on. We should be building around Cav, Tex and Costa not wasting them on the bench or trying to fit them in where they clearly don't work. Play Tex centrally, Cav on the left Costa on the right and then build around them. The frustrating thing is that we aren't far away from having a team capable of promotion if we start playing them regularly and add two centre halfs and a striker. Problem is though that with so many loans, will we be able to get them again next season or permanently or will we have to start all over again?

RosehillWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Saiss. Batth. Hause. Wallace and Bod are all passengers. So what do you expect when we play with half a team ?
In January we need to sign two class strikers a midfield general and a centre half. All the above can **** off for me. Just not good enough
Persist with these wasters and we will go down

WonderWolf

WoWoWoobsykins
Reaction score
And I think both hr and Zenga want to start with a hard working eleven which will track back, and then bring the flair on later, that plan is flawed when we conceded early...again...

Absolutely.

We not a 'developed' team as some would like to believe. Having to regularly start on the back foot is killing us!

Henry Palfrey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I see Coyle and Blackburn are bleating about the equaliser being offside based on the fact the Edwards was in an offside position from the initial shot. Imo he was not interfering with the goalkeepers view and the goal was correctly given. Jog on Owen.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The first half was just depressing to watch. We made an awful side in Blackburn look competent, and they were never under any real threat.

Why on earth we start the likes of Wallace, who was beyond appalling in everything he did yesterday and has been every single time I've seen him, when we have Cavaleiro on the bench with more talent in his toe is bordering on insanity.

Teixiera, Cavaleiro and Costa have to start every game for me. Yes theyll drift out of games, and some days they'll be poor, but for crying out loud they're our strongest assets by a country mile in terms of attacking threat. Why we continue to play these grafters with no technical ability whatsoever, performances like the first 70 minutes last night will be ten a penny.

I'm so sick of us approaching away games like scared little mice. We go into them with the mentality of knicking a 1.0 win if we can. This has been the mindset for as long as I can remember. Perhaps nearly a decade. You could accept it if we were playing a strong side, not ****ing Blackburn!! And inevitably as ever because our defence is shambolic, we go behind and give ourselves the usual mountain to climb. There's still so much wrong with this team. We have defenders incapable of defending their own arses, a central midfield quartet with no creativity whatsoever, and a striker who doesn't score goals. Big money needs to be spent addressing at least 2 of these major issues. Until that's done, we're going to be in a relegation battle IMO.

B

Benson

I see Coyle and Blackburn are bleating about the equaliser being offside based on the fact the Edwards was in an offside position from the initial shot. Imo he was not interfering with the goalkeepers view and the goal was correctly given. Jog on Owen.

Doherty was offside before he got the rebound. A mistake by the linesman. Coyle is right.
But on the other hand Edwards should have got a penalty a couple of minutes earlier when heading over with his shirt pulled up to two sizes larger by the defender.

Surrey Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
if we can't put the ball in the onion bag & keep giving goals away we're going to struggle

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Its been said here many times but whatever happens we need to persevere with Tex, Cav and Costa as first picks on the team sheet and then build around them. They will perk up Bod and offer skilful support which he desperately needs. Dicko surely can fill in if he is carrying an injury as some suggest. Bod has not suddenly become a bad player but like Afobe, Doyle and other strikers before him has been left isolated with dangerous Dave supposedly as back up. Removing Edwards from the equation and getting in a proper midfield general (Lansbury?) to knit our play together is an absolute priority in January. We could sign Aguero but where would the accurate passes come from midfield when you have worthy clodhoppers like Coady and Edwards in place.

Edwards's line up was very disappointing and he woke up very late in the day to bring on Cav and Tex but in the process removed Saiss rather than the other two midfielders. I would bring in Stearman at the back, rest Batth and play Iorfa at CB for a proper run of games.

All we need now is for Ikeme to be out for a long period. About time John a ppeared on the scene and offered some poweful alternatives from the bench. Wallace fluffed his opportunity yesterday which is sad but can see him being sold or going out on loan in January along with Saville hopefully.

Somewhere there must be a manager who can make the most of what is not that bad a squad. Certainly good enough for top six yet miles away at the moment. The worrying thing is that CBJ, Costa, Tex, John etc are only on loan so what of the future? I would definitely sign Tex and Costa but will they want to stay with a club scrambling around 18th place in the second division? Equally, what striker, midfielder or centre back of any quality will want to join in January to see out the season with what looks like at best a mediocre mid table side.

For the moment all that matters is two or three wins in quick succession. We had the same thing under Jackett last season where he adopted a total defensive anti-football strategy that gleaned four narrow wins in a row and saved us from a relegation trajectory. This time we have the players to play ourselves out of the current hole we find ourselves in. But we need a bright, intelligent manager to get a hell of a lot more out of the squad and sell off some of the 'also rans'.

Yesterday's match? - an embarassment. A terrible showing against possibly the weakest team in the division with its fans in open revolt against its owners. At times they looked much better than our team, which says it all. Rob Edwards stick to basic coaching and help some of these players to trap the ball properly.

Pengwern

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought that, yet again, Bod, Costa and Cav just run with the ball on their own rather than playing as a unit which passes between them. Only when the full backs or midfielders push up do we have a passing game. This is a serious problem, to me, unless Price is restored to the line up. This is a team game, not for a collection of individuals and that needs to be ironed out. Bring in Lambert.

Back
Top Bottom