Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

BEST PROMOTED CLUB EVER

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I got into a bit of a too and fro with a few posters on here the weekend ,when one posted that he thought Sheffield United was the best ever promoted side to grace the Premier League
I disagreed, and think that last season we were the best ever,ok its subjective, and we all wear our gold and black tinted specs when comparing other teams to our own,but that put aside,how do others feel on this?
Im fairly consistent with my praise and criticism when we play well or play poorly i feel,ive never joined in with the CL rubbish this season as i feel we have a way to go yet to reach that standard
I also feel, irrespective of whatever position or points total we get to this season,that we were marginally better last season overall
I know that many will always point out the table never lies,and you finish where you deserve come the seasons end,but i thought our performances last season against the top 6 were superb,yes i know we dropped our standards against the bottom 6,but feel we got complacent in a few of those games
This season we started poorly, and have been a bit stop start with our form,obviously the amount of games has played its part, as has lockdown,but just feel we havent hit the hieghts with out overall play enough to eclipse last season
Anyways,i just wondered what others thought on this,and perhaps i need to adjust my specs a little lol

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Didn't Ipswich get promoted and then reach the top 4 one season in the old First Division days? Wolves managed 7th last season with 57 points. Sheff Utd will probably pass that points score this season.

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sheff United have scored 38 and conceded 33. xGA suggests they should have conceded about 13 more goals which puts them in a completely different position in the league.

That said, based on what's actually happened, they've been bloody good and achieved some amazing results.

They will achieve more points than we did but it remains to be seen where they finish in the league.

Given the squad they have and the money they haven't spent i'd have to say that they've probably done better than we did last season.

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To me, it's about your final league position? Or final points tally? - rather than a "who's got the biggest ****" competition. Last season we finished on 57pts; if they beat that then that gives them the crown surely (unless as pointed out above someone like Ipswich got more years ago)?

How far back do we go here?

Norris

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There’s too many variables to call it.
Most entertaining team? best technically, best results, making the most of very little and so on. Taking all that into account we ain’t far off on all those points so we’ve done well so far

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Got it wrong. Ipswich finished 5th in the Prem in 2000 -01:
Tipped by many to go straight back down to Division One after winning promotion, Ipswich quickly wowed the Premiership with an unlikely challenge among the top six. For much of the season, it looked like they would finish in the top three and qualify for the European Cup for the first time in nearly 40 years. In the end, a 2-1 defeat at Charlton Athletic ended such hopes with two games left and they finished fifth, just four points adrift of second-placed Arsenal and qualified for the UEFA Cup for the first time since 1982. Manager George Burley was then voted "Manager of the Year" by his colleagues.

Probably best promoted club ever, BCW!

Finch3d

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Cant go off points right? Too many differences, teams in league, VAR this season etc...

If they get into EL then id say they'd have equalled us last year. But then do you count how far they go in that competition to?

The Wolf In The North

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Tough to compare eras. As Marrs says, Newcastle.

Us and Utd? Maybe a question of semantics. I think we were the better team, last year, over them this year, though we have had two matches to prove that against them this season and not done so. But best achievement? Got to be them, this year, with their team, doing what they've done.

Next year is their test. But based solely on first year after promotion alone, they are on course to overshadow us from last year.

Ogerp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nottingham Forest 1977-78

Won the Division 7 points clear of Liverpool and only losing 3 games in the league.

D

Deleted member 4023

Many of the teams mentioned fit the bill - it all depends on what criteria you are using to base your judgement on.

D

Deleted member 4184

Sheffield will go down next season. They remind me a lot like Reading under Coppell.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Tipped by many to go straight back down to Division One after winning promotion, Ipswich quickly wowed the Premiership with an unlikely challenge among the top six. For much of the season, it looked like they would finish in the top three and qualify for the European Cup for the first time in nearly 40 years. In the end, a 2-1 defeat at Charlton Athletic ended such hopes with two games left and they finished fifth, just four points adrift of second-placed Arsenal and qualified for the UEFA Cup for the first time since 1982. Manager George Burley was then voted "Manager of the Year" by his colleagues.

Massively over achieved though and got relegated the following year. They weren't that good, just had an unbelievable season

Kingswood Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
In the Sky/mental money era, it's us or Sheffield Utd. Saying that, we got to a FA cup semi, they didn't. We also got to Europe which they won't (you'll see) so it's us!

No team will get promoted and get top 4 ever again, at least not until the Sky money era is over.

portugamerifinn

Groupie
Reaction score
I think the fact Wolves did what they did last season and have done it again with essentially the same squad for a second consecutive season counts for something.

Sheffield United has really impressed, but has also gotten the fortunate bounces a club like it needs to be where it is. xG for and against say they’re more bang mid-table of a squad, though, having overachieved by about 7 points.

On the flipside, xGD says Wolves were basically 3 points better than actual results last season and 5 points better this season, yet still 6th-7th in spite of the unfortunate discrepancy.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

My mate at Uni was an Ipswich fan, asked if I fancied an away day in Milan. I said I'd go to Milan with him on Thursday if he comes to Grimsby on Friday with me. We made it just, but missed the only two goals in the first ten minutes of a 1 1 draw lol.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Massively over achieved though and got relegated the following year. They weren't that good, just had an unbelievable season
Thought we were just basing it on the first season back, otherwise how long does one look?

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is based on first season in the Premier League,no point in going back decades to the old first division imo

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I got into a bit of a too and fro with a few posters on here the weekend ,when one posted that he thought Sheffield United was the best ever promoted side to grace the Premier League
I disagreed, and think that last season we were the best ever,ok its subjective, and we all wear our gold and black tinted specs when comparing other teams to our own,but that put aside,how do others feel on this?
Im fairly consistent with my praise and criticism when we play well or play poorly i feel,ive never joined in with the CL rubbish this season as i feel we have a way to go yet to reach that standard
I also feel, irrespective of whatever position or points total we get to this season,that we were marginally better last season overall
I know that many will always point out the table never lies,and you finish where you deserve come the seasons end,but i thought our performances last season against the top 6 were superb,yes i know we dropped our standards against the bottom 6,but feel we got complacent in a few of those games
This season we started poorly, and have been a bit stop start with our form,obviously the amount of games has played its part, as has lockdown,but just feel we havent hit the hieghts with out overall play enough to eclipse last season
Anyways,i just wondered what others thought on this,and perhaps i need to adjust my specs a little lol
Probably something to do with the Europa League....

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To me, it's about your final league position? Or final points tally? - rather than a "who's got the biggest ****" competition. Last season we finished on 57pts; if they beat that then that gives them the crown surely (unless as pointed out above someone like Ipswich got more years ago)?

How far back do we go here?
Well thats where i beg to differ,i dont think its all about the finishing position,im more inclined to look at the overall style/class of a team,the football it plays on a consistant basis,which is why i think last season we were head and shoulders better,of course its all about opinions

Ogerp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No it didnt,some say it ended right there,but different eras throw up different scenarios so just trying to keep it relevant
But you asked for the best promoted club EVER

So it is relevent and Nottingham Forest fits that 'EVER'

Newly promoted, won the League and only lost 3 games. In fact they went from November 1977 to go on to hold the record for being unbeaten which was finally beaten by Arsenal.

D

Deleted member 4184

Maybe but people said that about us too

We have/had proven Champions League players, players who have won the Euro tournament, Reading had players who spent most of their careers in League One (like Sheffield)

S G Wolves

Bad lover
Reaction score
We also reached semi final of FA Cup. ( Oh *******s memories again!!)

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thought we were just basing it on the first season back, otherwise how long does one look?
Depends if you're looking for the best promoted team or the best finishing position for a promoted team. For the latter you just need to look at the league table and there's no debate, in the PL era it's Forest who finished 3rd. If you're trying to find the best team though, what they did in the subsequent season is valid. Forest finished 9th in their second season (before propping up the table in their third) so they were no flash in the pan. Again though, it was easier to do 25 years ago than it is now.

We're one win from improving on our first season and have every chance of being top six, which puts us up there. While Sheff Utd have done very well and could surpass what we did last year, if they were to finish 18th next year would they be judged a good side or just a side that had a good year?

binners

Reaction score
Agreed. But it's very different now. Most teams coming up aspire to little more than survival.
I agree with this totally different playing field. It is much more difficult now than in Forests day.

The Professional

'Unprofessional'
Reaction score
Nottingham Forest. If you look back 130 years or so at the history of the top division, no one better than them.

Back
Top Bottom