Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Back four

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If you play a back 4. You have to play a midfielder that will create something in the absence of attacking wing backs.

We don’t have that.

Well we do, but we keep playing moutinho for some reason

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
I actually think it could work well and can completely see how it would be viewed as the next step in our evolution.

Two dominant centre-backs, full-backs bombing on and Neves playing deep with plenty of movement ahead of him and a front four of Traore, Podence, Neto and Raul.

However, with Boly out (and not in great form prior to that) and no Raul, given our current run id be going back to 3 at the back until the end of the season.

Bugsy911

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We needed to revert to a back 5 weeks ago we have to stop conceding goals.

Conceded first 14 times out of 18 games too were losing before we start.

marrs-guitar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't see either defensive system necessarily leading to us scoring more goals or conceding less. We just don't have the quality of personnel available at present to remedy either issue.

Wolfy McWolf-Face

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I actually think it could work well and can completely see how it would be viewed as the next step in our evolution.

Two dominant centre-backs, full-backs bombing on and Neves playing deep with plenty of movement ahead of him and a front four of Traore, Podence, Neto and Raul.

However, with Boly out (and not in great form prior to that) and no Raul, given our current run id be going back to 3 at the back until the end of the season.

Semedo, Coady and RAN in the back 4. No wonder we cant defend crosses.

Need Boly back and another commanding CB. Coady is a legend but not a CB in a back 4.

Why can't Kilman get a game?

D

Deleted member 4184

We could play a back 20 and a midfield 10 and still concede sloppy goals. As others have said, we just don't have the personnel to see out games like we have done before.

Mid table this season, **** it.

Royal wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We could play a back 20 and a midfield 10 and still concede sloppy goals. As others have said, we just don't have the personnel to see out games like we have done before.

At this rate we’ll have to fight for that

Ewok vs Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
None of our defenders look better in a back 4. We look fragile defending basic balls into the box.
I can see the reason to evolve and transition but I think we could of kept the 3 cbs and wingback system
Midfield was the area that needed addressing

Manic88

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Will rip your hand off for mid table right now!

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Semedo, Coady and RAN in the back 4. No wonder we cant defend crosses.

Need Boly back and another commanding CB. Coady is a legend but not a CB in a back 4.

Why can't Kilman get a game?

That's a good question. And what happened to Otasawie? For a match against a team who are known to be strong in the air - they have scored the most headed goals in the division. Kilman seems to be the new Bennett - rarely lets us down, but one slight slip and he's dropped. Where others commit howlers regularly and get away with it. As if Nuno looks for a reason *not* to play him.

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Push the full backs on?! **** me.

Our right side has been penetrated more times than Katie Price in the last few weeks.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If you play a back 4. You have to play a midfielder that will create something in the absence of attacking wing backs.

We don’t have that.

Well we do, but we keep playing moutinho for some reason
We do - Neves. But Nuno will only play him in defence. I'd love to see him given a run of games in a more attacking role. If Nuno is happy to play Silva on the wing then I think Neves could play in a new role too.

fleck1

Reaction score
I said on another thread we don't have the quality to play a 4. We've had one of the tightest defenses around for the past 3 years and look where it got us. We never have been and never will be an open free scoring team under Nuno its not his style and that was fine. We had an identity everyone knew wolves and how we played and when it clicked nobody could live with us, I don't feel there was a need to go away from that. Surely progression is upgrading the players in them positions and creating competition. We had something that we walked the championship with, an fa Cup semi and European qualification first year back, followed by 7th again and europa quarter final. Surely the foundations to press on not tear it down and start again.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We do - Neves. But Nuno will only play him in defence. I'd love to see him given a run of games in a more attacking role. If Nuno is happy to play Silva on the wing then I think Neves could play in a new role too.
Neves is not an attacking midfielder.

He’s a deep playmaker / distributor playing well at the moment

we need someone to commit defenders higher up the pitch other than Neto

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd be very surprised if we finished below 12th. But every match will be a struggle until we get our key personel bacl

I'd be very surprised if we finished above 12th! Trying to be objective, looking at our current team and how they are playing *now*, and looking at the other teams, there's 3 teams definitely worse than us. And another 3 "probably" worse than us. So yes, I see us as about 15th, and I'd take 12th or 13th as a real over-achievement for our current team, presuming our star player will not be back this season.

The big worry is that while we are declining...if any of those bottom 3 start improving...

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Definitely stick with it for Saturday.
If go 442 as they are awful defensively abd we won’t face much going forward, I pray but fear Boly won’t be back, we are awful at balls in the box and guess what they’ll hit us with!

D

Deleted member 9788

The only reason teams play a back 5 is because they don't have 2 good cbs. Unfortunately our defenders (bar Jonny and the proper big wily not the new lockdown one) simply aren't good enough. Nelson is brilliant going forward but **** defensively. Ran is a kid. Saiss not good enough. Kilman maybe but hasn't been tried. I feel like an absolute **** ******* ***** for saying this as I love him to bits he's the best captain in the league but I don't think he's good enough for a back 4.

tamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't think the formation is the problem at the moment. We have lost 4-0 to West Ham and 2-1 to Burnley with the back 3. The back 3 will mean we surrender midfield and play on the counter.

If we do that against a Sam Allardyce team, I can see it going the same way as the Burnley game.

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't see either defensive system necessarily leading to us scoring more goals or conceding less. We just don't have the quality of personnel available at present to remedy either issue.
I'd agree with that above anything else

I do like that we have more bodies in the penalty area. We also seem to have more "control" in midfield, generally speaking.

Unfortunately, none of it is relating to goals and points. Whether than changes with the return of Jimenez, Podence and Traore remains to be seen.

To me, the elephant in the room is since even as far back as promotion to the PL, we have not pushed on in centre defence or midfield. We still need a top defender and a top midfielder.

Warrington_Wolf

Reaction score
In order to play a back 4, we need two proper centre backs. Not utility players like Saiss.

But the obsession with having a small squad means that we need players that can fill in at different positions.

The conundrum.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Anyone else feel this change of system hasn't help anyone? Still not creating enough chances and now giving away sloppy goals!

Back to a back five Nuno please....
I do think we create more going forward with this system and I don’t think the goals we have conceded have been due to the back four system,

We are just missing a few too many key players.

D

Deleted member 9788

I don't think the formation is the problem at the moment. We have lost 4-0 to West Ham and 2-1 to Burnley with the back 3. The back 3 will mean we surrender midfield and play on the counter.

If we do that against a Sam Allardyce team, I can see it going the same way as the Burnley game.
I think the same mate

BCWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The only reason teams play a back 5 is because they don't have 2 good cbs. Unfortunately our defenders (bar Jonny and the proper big wily not the new lockdown one) simply aren't good enough. Nelson is brilliant going forward but **** defensively. Ran is a kid. Saiss not good enough. Kilman maybe but hasn't been tried. I feel like an absolute **** ******* ***** for saying this as I love him to bits he's the best captain in the league but I don't think he's good enough for a back 4.
Look at Coady's positioning for their winner. He got dragged inp-front of his near post and was actually facing his goal when the ball went in. Saiss was effectively defending two players.

We are witnessing the regression of Coady in a back 4. He simply doesnt have the tools.

In his defence I very much doubt he has previously had to do so much covering as he has has too now with Semedo.

D

Deleted member 9788

Look at Coady's positioning for their winner. He got dragged inp-front of his near post and was actually facing his goal when the ball went in. Saiss was effectively defending two players.

We are witnessing the regression of Coady in a back 4. He simply doesnt have the tools.

In his defence I very much doubt he has previously had to do so much covering as he has has too now with Semedo.

Kilman as the ball playing cb and a destroyer vidic type is what we need.

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s not the problem, the midfield is. Between Moutinho snd Donk there is no goals and no assists! I’m not sure how I find chances created but I’d imagine it’s very low too.

Neves is a one man midfield at times, he is the only one looking like scoring or creating

pacamac

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Anyone else feel this change of system hasn't help anyone? Still not creating enough chances and now giving away sloppy goals!

Back to a back five Nuno please....
Agree need to get the basics and our fundamentals right first.

Don’t wanna see us with a back 4 until we have at least one full back that can defend (so when Marcal or Otto’s back)

Leamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Very true, but we didn’t sign any of the players needed to make it work, so why do it?

we shouldn’t have gone fir a revolution when evolution and a plan b was all that was needed.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Moutinho is basically playing instead of podence . It makes no sense. Im giving him some stick , but it’s not his role.

Nuno simply has to play a playmaker / fourth attacker . currently vitinha and mgw are the only two .

pacamac

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Moutinho is basically playing instead of podence . It makes no sense. Im giving him some stick , but it’s not his role.

Nuno simply has to play a playmaker / fourth attacker . currently vitinha and mgw are the only two .
He's not playing instead of Podence, Wolves might have put that up as the positioning pre game on the graphic but its clearly not how we set up. He was set up more like he is normally in a 3 man midfield.

If anything the set up was with Gibbs White more like the Podence (CAM) role just with nobody ahead of him centrally.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's not playing instead of Podence, Wolves might have put that up as the positioning pre game on the graphic but its clearly not how we set up. He was set up more like he is normally in a 3 man midfield.

If anything the set up was with Gibbs White more like the Podence (CAM) role just with nobody ahead of him centrally.
No I know all of that - but moutinho has taken podence name on the team sheet

so we’ve replaced a creative player with a player that wants to do most his play on the half way line

it’s no wonder we are less creative

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I beg we go back to a back 3 it’s the style the players know we aren’t good enough to dominate possession we would need to change half of the team to do that we need power players strong on the ball like Leicester and Man City

Back
Top Bottom