Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Attendances 86-87

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Teams like Newcastle attendance never changed much with crowds of 20000 + in the 90s now they have 50000 we lost loads of supporter being out of the top division
We have always had a roughly 20k core other than when we were at our lowest with floaters of 10-15k more imo

beppe7619

Reaction score
We have always had a roughly 20k core other than when we were at our lowest with floaters of 10-15k more imo
If we stayed in the premier league like Newcastle or Everton we would be getting crowds of 50 plus thousand you can see from Burnley in the Sherpa van at Wembley how many supporters we had that had stayed away

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we stayed in the premier league like Newcastle or Everton we would be getting crowds of 50 plus thousand you can see from Burnley in the Sherpa van at Wembley how many supporters we had that had stayed away
My memory may be hazy but I think the 88/89 season when we went up from the 3rd to 2nd we averaged a decent 5 figure average crowd which was more than almost all of the 2nd and some in the 1st divisions.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

We wouldn't be getting 50k, can't use a cup final as a gauge for league position. We'd fill 40k though I think most of the time

beppe7619

Reaction score
We wouldn't be getting 50k, can't use a cup final as a gauge for league position. We'd fill 40k though I think most of the time
If we where successful and stayed in the top flight we would easily get 50 plus thousand problem was the fans around the area supported Liverpool Man U Everton

beppe7619

Reaction score
The longer you stay out the top flight you lose so many thousand per season 19 seasons out of the top flight you end up loosing supporters. Same now molineux holding only 31000 all we can get is arm chair fans

WestChiltingtonwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Luton had a fairly low average attendance but be fair to them, every attached seat was probably being sat in, Millwall had removed the rest in 85.

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
Very true. I knew a couple of people who said they would never step inside Molineux again whiles the Bhatti Brothers (excuse my language) owned Wolves. Yet they both went to just about every away game.

I remember going to Exeter City on a bank holiday Monday. Three parts of the ground was full of Wolves fans.
They made the Exeter game 11:00am kick off to deter Wolves fans from travelling. We got there about 09:00am and the place was awash with Old Gold. They gave us the home end. We went 1-0 up, then Ally Roberston was sent off on 46 mins. They were awarded two penalties, Kendall saved both and the ref made them retake one of them, we ended up winning 3-1.

Then came that moment over the tannoy with 5 mins to go "Would all the EXETER CITY fans please remain in the ground after the final whistle to allow the Wolves fans to get away from the ground" :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

All it meant was we were first into the pubs. We were in one where the gaffer sent his barman out to throw glasses at the wall in an attempt to get us to smash the place up (insurance claim I guess). We stood there and laughed.

Traffic jam on the M5 resulted in card schools on car bonnets and someone got a ball out for a kick about

Oldgoldilox

Groupie
Reaction score
I think like most fans, Ive looked at photos of a packed molineux back in the 50s and assumed it was like that every week. Just looking at attendances from one of our most successful seasons 57/58 and we only had 26,033 for a local derby against the Villa. The home game against the Albion though attracted over 55,000.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think like most fans, Ive looked at photos of a packed molineux back in the 50s and assumed it was like that every week. Just looking at attendances from one of our most successful seasons 57/58 and we only had 26,033 for a local derby against the Villa. The home game against the Albion though attracted over 55,000.
That’s probably because even back then Albion were our biggest rivals. Villa didn’t come close then and don’t now.

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That game seems to have been played at 17:30 on a Monday evening. The away game was a week later, 17:30. Only 21336 at Villa Park. Don't know the reason for the dates/times. Anyone?

GV Wolf

Reaction score
They made the Exeter game 11:00am kick off to deter Wolves fans from travelling. We got there about 09:00am and the place was awash with Old Gold. They gave us the home end. We went 1-0 up, then Ally Roberston was sent off on 46 mins. They were awarded two penalties, Kendall saved both and the ref made them retake one of them, we ended up winning 3-1.

Then came that moment over the tannoy with 5 mins to go "Would all the EXETER CITY fans please remain in the ground after the final whistle to allow the Wolves fans to get away from the ground" :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

All it meant was we were first into the pubs. We were in one where the gaffer sent his barman out to throw glasses at the wall in an attempt to get us to smash the place up (insurance claim I guess). We stood there and laughed.

Traffic jam on the M5 resulted in card schools on car bonnets and someone got a ball out for a kick about
I remember catching the ‘special’ at 6.00am in the morning.

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That’s probably because even back then Albion were our biggest rivals. Villa didn’t come close then and don’t now.
Doesn't seem to follow, if you look at the previous season only 27k for Albion at home, 35k for Villa. 58/9 41k Villa 44k Albion. More at play here than the rivalry scale.

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

That annoncement about the Exeter City fans being told to stay in the ground was actually repeated the following season in a February game that Wolves won 4-2 with a Bully hat-trick and Mutchy scoring. I was in the " home " stand with my Mate Andy who twenty minutes into the game leans over and instead of imparting some useful comment about the game tells me the bloke 3 rows down is wearing the worst wig in history and he was ! Everytime there was a break in play I could not help but be drawn to it it was that bad. :):):)

The Devon and Cornwall police made that May Bank Holiday kick off at 11 because the game at Torquay in September was played on a Saturday night at 7.30 !!!!!! Naturally there were many Wolves fans who had a day at the seaside and to use a local expression were " 3 sheets to the wind " :D:D:D While there was no real nasty agro to speak off ," Plod " just underestimated how many away fans were in Plainmoor that night and decided they did not want a repeat at Exeter. I am pretty sure that was the second to last season Torquay were allowed 7.30 Saturday night kick off times as I think next season Cardiff and Millwall wrecked the place and the Police said " No More ! "

waveney wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think I went to a home game against Wrexham that season ( it may have been Bully's debut) , but it was cold and empty ..3000 I think

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was at RAF Binbrook, so took in games in the Yorkshire / Lincoln region mainly as it was a sod to get to.

In 88 posted to RAF Valley, so, although remote, I had every weekend off and it was a pleasant drive. So more games.

If I couldn’t attend, Teletext came to the rescue.

My older lads first game was 1990 on opening day v Oldham in Division 2 (Steve Bull 2 Ian Marshall 3)
Bully had just come back from the world cup and looked absolutely mustard.

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Did you go away with Cannock Wolves ? If you did I will probably know you. A few of us from Cannock were also going home and away at this time

I did go away with Cannockwolves a few times in the early 80's - I clearly remember going to Liverpool in Jan 84 when Steve Mardenbough scored the winner. Most one sided win in the history of football - it felt like Liverpool played 90% of the game in our box!

If I remember right it was a chap called Bishop who ran it at the time? I remember it being a bit 'lively' on the coaches the amount of beer they got through would float a battleship! God knows how most of them walked to the ground - I was only a young nieve lad at the time so it was all a bit unnerving to me!

I only went for a few years as I passed my driving test and 5 of us used to got home and away in my mom's 1 Litre Austin Metro. I can remember going to Carlisle in the mid 80's and a group of a dozen Carlisle fans beat the **** out of us as we walked to the ground. We got in the ground but my mate was feeling really ill, his nose was broken. A Copper took him to a medical centre and my other mate went round the ground with a Copper trying to ID the group.

I was the only one who saw our goal, I think it might have been a 1-1 draw.

Great Times, but it was probably more to being young and having a group of mates with the same interests.

I go to the home games alone now, my son & daughter are not interested and the mates have families and other interests so I haven't seen many of them for decades. I still enjoy going, but I really wanted my son to be into it but he isn't, and he's moved to Scotland now anyway.

On a happier note, I am looking forward to the new season - it's the hope that gets you!

Longford Wolf

Reaction score
I did go away with Cannockwolves a few times in the early 80's - I clearly remember going to Liverpool in Jan 84 when Steve Mardenbough scored the winner. Most one sided win in the history of football - it felt like Liverpool played 90% of the game in our box!

If I remember right it was a chap called Bishop who ran it at the time? I remember it being a bit 'lively' on the coaches the amount of beer they got through would float a battleship! God knows how most of them walked to the ground - I was only a young nieve lad at the time so it was all a bit unnerving to me!

I only went for a few years as I passed my driving test and 5 of us used to got home and away in my mom's 1 Litre Austin Metro. I can remember going to Carlisle in the mid 80's and a group of a dozen Carlisle fans beat the **** out of us as we walked to the ground. We got in the ground but my mate was feeling really ill, his nose was broken. A Copper took him to a medical centre and my other mate went round the ground with a Copper trying to ID the group.

I was the only one who saw our goal, I think it might have been a 1-1 draw.

Great Times, but it was probably more to being young and having a group of mates with the same interests.

I go to the home games alone now, my son & daughter are not interested and the mates have families and other interests so I haven't seen many of them for decades. I still enjoy going, but I really wanted my son to be into it but he isn't, and he's moved to Scotland now anyway.

On a happier note, I am looking forward to the new season - it's the hope that gets you!
It was / is Steve Bishop who founded Cannock Wolves. I started using them regularly in about 85 when I was 17. Although beer was banned on the coaches we always had a good pub stop and like you say it was a bit lively. Great times, even though the football was ****.

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It was / is Steve Bishop who founded Cannock Wolves. I started using them regularly in about 85 when I was 17. Although beer was banned on the coaches we always had a good pub stop and like you say it was a bit lively. Great times, even though the football was ****.

I must be a few years older, I was 21 in 85 and I passed my test at 20 so I was probably going around 82/83/84, I think in those early years they did allow beer on the coaches. I can clearly remember one trip people where carrying crates of beer onto the coach, but as you say I think they stopped it as it was getting out of hand.

I am sure we went to Birmingham city one and the city fans were chucking bricks at the coaches.

Back
Top Bottom