Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

'Astonishing': Gerrard is reportedly trying to bring player who's 'got everything' to Aston Villa

• Thread starter Giuseppe Labellarte
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Giuseppe Labellarte

Aston Villa are reportedly planning to swoop for Glasgow Rangers star Calvin Bassey.

According to The Times, the Villans are preparing to step up their interest in the Ibrox defender.

Villa have already signed Boubacar Kamara and landed Philippe Coutinho on a permanent deal.

Photo by Visionhaus/Getty Images

Now, with the backing of Nassef Sawiris and Wes Edens, Steven Gerrard is preparing to raid his former club.

Gerrard knows Bassey well, having taken him to Rangers from Leicester two years ago.

Since then, the 22-year-old has developed into a top player.

Villa scouts were reportedly wowed by Bassey’s performance in the Scottish Cup final against Hearts.

“My word, what a performance”​

The Nigeria international also impressed in Rangers’ run to the Europa League final.

“Calvin Bassey, my word, what a performance,” Owen Hargreaves told BT Sport – via Metro – following the match in Seville.

“That was astonishing, the energy and effort. Everything about his game was fantastic.

“Anyone watching that will be thinking: ‘That’s the kind of player I want in my team’.”

Villa are likely to have competition for Bassey’s services, however.

The Daily Record claim Fulham, Wolves and Brentford are also keen on the versatile defender.

“Such a high ceiling”​

Dean Jones, writing on GiveMeSport, believes Bassey’s recent cup final displays have ‘convinced some Premier League clubs’ that he is a player worthy of signing.

“Calvin Bassey has got such a high ceiling at the moment; he’s got everything,” he wrote.

“And from watching him in those big fixtures for Rangers, he will have convinced some Premier League clubs that this guy’s absolutely worth getting on board this season.”

In a different GiveMeSport article, Jones wrote: “I think there’ll be other teams linked in the next few weeks too. Because he looks to be the standout player from that Rangers team that could come straight into the Premier League.

“Obviously, there are others there too that clubs are sniffing around, but he’s the man of the moment, Bassey. And I think he does look worthy of a Premier League move.”

The post 'Astonishing': Gerrard is reportedly trying to bring player who's 'got everything' to Aston Villa appeared first on The Boot Room.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom