Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Aston Villa vs Wolves. The Verdict.

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I an really sorry to hear this and I am sure we will be sorry to lose you...I have been a wolves supporter for 56 years and have seen the good the bad and the ugly...seems to me that even though I have a soft spot for Brighton there is zero possibility of supporting any other team.
This season has been disappointing but given our revenues I think that expectations have been a little too high.We have had decades of hard work with little success...should have bought Ronaldo and Bruno Fernandes when they were available ...( we didn’t have the money, and they wouldn’t come...whose fault is that ..? sack them...)

if you are only looking for an ecciting team , look no further than city... and I would recommend you join them.

I look upon wolves like I look on my family...and my dogs...they often leave a lot to be desired but they are mine and I don’t complain in public about them...till death us do part.
Great post. Back in the 80’s I made many a far flung journey to the footballing backwaters to watch truly **** football (often alone - cos we were so crap no one else would join me). In no way am I claiming to be any kind of a super fan (I know I’m not) ... but I do wonder how much of this ‘ground work’ some of the self entitled ..., calling for Nuno to be sacked, have done.

This is a tough league. This is a tough pandemic. Fortunately, our manager is tough too. He deserves the respect and backing to pull us through and out the other side. To sack him now would be pure madness.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lou Pine

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I’ve not read all of this thread but the glimpses I’ve seen the negativity astounds me. There is no way on earth that our coach sends them out to intentionally play poorly first half . We were excellent second half and dominated the game. Take the positives, the manager has had them in at ht and sent them back out with the fire in their bellies that we want them to play with. The second half is Nuno’s Wolves and is the team that we’ll see when we’re allowed back in.

inaglasshouse

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Easily the better team in the second half. So glad we are a second half team. After all you can't actually win a match till all the football has been played.

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ve not read all of this thread but the glimpses I’ve seen the negativity astounds me. There is no way on earth that our coach sends them out to intentionally play poorly first half . We were excellent second half and dominated the game. Take the positives, the manager has had them in at ht and sent them back out with the fire in their bellies that we want them to play with. The second half is Nuno’s Wolves and is the team that we’ll see when we’re allowed back in.

The first half performances arn't just a blip, it absolutely has to be a game plan from Nuno.
If its not and the fact we do it so often, then the players don't listen to the manager and Nuno doesn't know how to change it.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know we have had some luck in recent weeks but, my God, there have been some absolutely world class saves against us this season.

Martinez today and at Molineux
Dubravka
The Southampton Keeper at Molineux
Schmeichel x 2

Christ in a jersey

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Scores bang on for me.
as for next seasons squad I’d have Johnny as LB. and think everyone else left in is correct.

Yep same.... with a question mark against Boly aswell.

Leamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know we have had some luck in recent weeks but, my God, there have been some absolutely world class saves against us this season.

Martinez today and at Molineux
Dubravka
The Southampton Keeper at Molineux
Schmeichel x 2

Christ in a jersey
I agree with calling each of the saves world class but the Dubravka one.

He didn’t know where that ball was and it hit him more than he saved it. that is what my academy coach used to call the “lottery winner” as it was one in a million luck it hit you and you won because it didn’t go in as it had every right to as you knew nothing about it lol

Lou Pine

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The first half performances arn't just a blip, it absolutely has to be a game plan from Nuno.
If its not and the fact we do it so often, then the players don't listen to the manager and Nuno doesn't know how to change it.
If it’s intentional what possible advantage are we getting from it?
Nuno clearly does know how to change it because there is a marked difference after half time.

Leamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I look at that Villa team and I wouldn't pick a single player to be in our starting 11 ahead of any of ours, so why are we struggling so much?
I would take : Mings (hate him with a passion, but he is better than Sais and dendonker), Konsa, Luiz & Watkins

all 4 would be a significant step up to what we put out today.

I love Rui too much to replace him with Martinez, but many neutrals would drop him In nets for a combined 11 from today as he is the best keeper on form this season.

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Easily the better team in the second half. So glad we are a second half team. After all you can't actually win a match till all the football has been played.
Yes ... on a note of positivity, I’ve watched Villa a fair bit this season. I’m not sure that I’ve seen them on the back foot quite as much as the 2nd half today. And that’s with us not firing on all cylinders.

Burton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Any rows on here? Can't be ***** reading it all. Got a point didn't we?

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm gonna try and be positive. If I were a neutral I'd have been quite entertained. Quality was clearly lacking in both goal mouths, but as far as 0 0 draws go it was one of the better ones.

That said, it's a carbon copy of most of our games this season. In isolation the point on the road is nothing to be sniffed at and while I'm being positive, we're one game closer the end of season.

Reaction score
Why was selling Jota, a good bit of business? We've sold Jota and replaced him with a very successful goal-scorer, right? Name names please.
As for Mendes, why are you so sure the sale of Jota was not to line his pockets? He is, after all, in the business to make money, so a transfer that lines his pockets is not so outlandish, is it?
With hindsight the club probably regret selling him. We could certainly use an in form Jota right now.

However, at the time I was fully behind the sale, it made excellent business sense. We got a massive fee for a player that the club believed had hit his ceiling and wouldn't improve further.

Unless I'm mistaken he had two years left on his contract, it's usually at that point that a player's value starts to depreciate unless a new one is signed.

If he'd spent most of this season sat on the bench whilst Neto played in his place his value would have been greatly diminished at the end of the season.

Then there's the rumours of Ryan Bennett playing around with his Mrs, if they're true a new start was probably best all round.

Cookyssweetleftfoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's a by product of the transaction not the sole reason for it as was alluded to.

As for good business... 45 million for a bloke not getting in your team is good business. Getting a replacement is a different conversation as it comes down to who you get. We signed Silva... jury is out on him for a good while yet or until he moves on and we can make a judgement.

Bottom line for me is that Neto played in a similar position to Jota and that Nuno clearly thinks that Neto is the better player. Time will tell on that also. Ironically, Neto is now playing on the other flank!
Jota and Neto are not the same type of player. We could easily accommodate both and have never understood this argument.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
First half we was very poor miss placed passes, very deep defensive shape, lack of attacking threat. Thankfully the cross bar came to our rescue a few times!

Second half much better be pegged villa back and we could of and should of won it! Two glorious chances they have to thank emi martinez worth his weight in gold for villa

MOTM for Wolves Neto

Worst player Dendoncker/Semedo

Positive way looking at it point gained towards the magic 40, we will stay up and Liverpool to come! Isn’t it time we beat them also.

I think it’s clear Jose is lacking confidence needs a goal. Not sure if I’d sign any of our loan players to be honest!!!

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Overall, two average teams who look lost without their best players.

Konsa should've scored for them first half, Coady and Saiss should've scored one each second half for us. Ours were absolute sitters. If one of them goes in we're looking at a solid away performance where the home team only had two chances inside the box.

Another first half disaster class. So weird. Not much confidence in our team at all since Raul got injured. Three months on, still hoping for a bit of magic to get us something. When did we last score a 'normal' goal? Like a bit of sustained pressure that ended in a nice through ball/tap in? Always seems to be individual class or a set piece.

Rui - nothing to do until the 89th min. Good save. Trustworthy as ever.

Semedo - did OK. Sometimes looks really good then other times the ball goes under his feet and out for a throw.

Dendoncker - I just don't get it. When he plays in midfield he genuinely becomes one of our most crucial players. Constant energy, breaking up play, always bursting forward [though yes his finishing isn't great]. But he looks an absolute mess at the back. Could've cost us a couple of times tonight with indecisiveness or poor passing. He also never tries hard enough to stop the cross, almost like he feels it's OK for crosses to come in. He was a mess against Southampton which led to a goal, got the runaround against Newcastle, poor against City [own goal not his fault but overall, looked sloppy] and same again tonight. Boly must play but if he's not fit enough, stick Kilman in. Make Dendoncker the midfield option again.
Coady - seemed fine defensively, should've scored two tbh.

Saiss - poor distribution all night, missed a sitter. I know he's sort of stretching on his weaker foot but honestly, terrible miss.

Jonny - doesn't quite look back to his best, but did OK. Distribution was poor at times, misplaced quite a few simple short passes. But good to see him still having energy at the very end of the game given his very lengthy lay off and how he's been subbed in all his return games so far.

Moutinho / Neves. Both a bit meh. Neves did some nice interceptions and looked better second half.

Adama - not in the game. Doesn't help that every time he had the ball there were at least two players in front of him. At one point in the first half he got the ball outside their box on the left and four players trotted over. But he wasn't at it at all tonight. Thought he had three good games against Southampton, Leeds, Newcastle, decent against City down the middle, but tonight, pretty much anonymous. Becoming the scapegoat when everyone plays bad, mind.

Neto - did about as well as he could. Bit more composure needed at times but it'll come. Only real bright spark going forwards for us.

Jose - held the ball up well a couple of times but largely anonymous. He had two chances vs Palace on his first start, then won the penalty vs Arsenal, but has he had a chance since then? That's what, six games in a row he hasn't had a sniff at goal? Not all his fault but Fabio's missed a few sitters in his bench cameos during that time. Needs to do more.

Lack of bench options after a couple of attacking injuries is frightening, but we've been in the same boat for months. We can just be glad we aren't going down and get it over and done with.

Big summer ahead. Lot of people coming to the end of their cycle in our first-team it feels. Time for a few to move to the bench or elsewhere. We need two or three guaranteed starters, and Boly, Podence and Jimenez all fit again for us to go again with a fresh start next season.
Exactly as I saw it

Thanks for saving me 20 minutes to write it all out

Dendoncker can’t play at the back ever again he’s a liability

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nuno clearly does know how to change it because there is a marked difference after half time.

So if its not tactical and he knows how to change it why does it happen so frequently?
You think the players take it upon themselves to play that way?

That IS the tactic, hold the opposition til half time then take the game to them when they're ( supposedly) tiring late in the game.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
First half we was very poor miss placed passes, very deep defensive shape, lack of attacking threat. Thankfully the cross bar came to our rescue a few times!

Second half much better be pegged villa back and we could of and should of won it! Two glorious chances they have to thank emi martinez worth his weight in gold for villa

MOTM for Wolves Neto

Worst player Dendoncker/Semedo

Positive way looking at it point gained towards the magic 40, we will stay up and Liverpool to come! Isn’t it time we beat them also.

I think it’s clear Jose is lacking confidence needs a goal. Not sure if I’d sign any of our loan players to be honest!!!
Agree with most of you comments MEW.

MOTM Neto yes. He ran miles.

Worst player. Traore by a mile. Have to say it. Donk and Semedo were miles more involved in the game than Traore and did what they had to do. Yes there was the odd hiccup but they did their job. Traore was at his frustrating best. The fastest player in the Premier League by a country mile, up against an ageing full back and he created zilch, had not one shot on target, one decent cross and frustrated the hell out of me!

Nuno was singing Adama’s praises this week. God knows why!

At his best Adama could be a world beater, but I cannot think of any game this season when he has made a significant contribution. I want to see him perform like he did against Man City scoring those 2 wonderful goals after linking with Raul. He is miles away from that atm.

I was brought up watching wingers/wide men like Terry Wharton, Alan Hinton, Waggy, Steve Froggatt and Tony Daley (yes I know) who put a shift in for 90 minutes. Adama is creating nothing special at all this season and the signing of a new contract (on no doubt better terms) does not make sense.

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Totally agree with some comments here, this cycle of recruitment has done us amazing, more than any one could have truly predicted, but it's hit it's ceiling and we need at least 3-4 new players in if we want to kick on. Donck and Saiss are not good enough in defence (Donck especially) and they need to be replaced, we also need a replacement for Moutinho who can do a better job of blocking the opponents midfield from getting through, he's just not quick or strong enough (to be fair, even when he was younger this was never his game anyway) and we need Raul back desperately.

Quicker, stronger, defenders will mean we can play a higher line and push our midfield a bit further up without the downside of leaving a massive gap between them and the defence. It will also help us against balls into the box which have been a huge weakness for a while now. Couple that with a more dynamic midfield and it will transform this team even if we kept the 3-4-3 formation.

If it means selling someone to get this done then so be it.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Goal keeping expert obviously
It was a shot that was right at him lol.

And that came from us clearing a corner and Neto running over half the length of the pitch.

90 minutes and not one good passage of play in an attacking sense from open play. Worrying.

Bogota Wolf

Reaction score
Great post. Back in the 80’s I made many a far flung journey to the footballing backwaters to watch truly **** football (often alone - cos we were so crap no one else would join me). In no way am I claiming to be any kind of a super fan (I know I’m not) ... but I do wonder how much of this ‘ground work’ some of the self entitled jumped up pricks, calling for Nuno to be sacked, have done.

This is a tough league. This is a tough pandemic. Fortunately, our manager is tough too. He deserves the respect and backing to pull us through and out the other side. To sack him now would be pure madness.
Spot on Darvo and I did similarly. I remember for example managing to drag a few mates to Rochdale and we were so happy in the pub playing pool and drinking quality beer we said **** it lets finish the series of pool games and then go to the match late. We must have arrived at the game about 20 minutes in. It was complete ****e within the perspective of what we'd seen as kids in the 70s even though we won 2-0 IIRC.

And, if anyone wants to complain now when it's not especially spectacular like the last few years. **** em.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A typical Wolves' display (at least for this season and probably longer), with a poor first half where we sat back, inviting pressure and a more dynamic, aggressive second half where we could (and should) have scored, taking all three points. Unfortunately, such performances, whilst common-place, are not endearing Wolves or Nuno to the fans with more and louder calls for something different.
Villa hit the woodwork twice withing 15 minutes. Wolves hit the woodwork after HT whilst Saiss should and Coady could have scored to take all three points.
This season has been one of the worst in my 50 odd years as a Wolves' fan. Not because of our play - we have endured, much, much worse, but because it promised so much after two strong seasons in the Prem and a lot of money spent on transfers and it has underachieved massively. I really don't understand why we are so passive for large parts of every game and why a team with such dynamic players as Neto, Podence and Traore and such technically-gifted players as Neves, Moutinho and Semedo can produce such staid drivel for the most part.

Ratings;

Rui - 6 - Not much to do. One save towards the end, but his distribution wasn't the best.
Saiss - 5 - Won lots of headers, but his passing was suspect and that miss!
Coady - 6 - Did OK leading the team and got only his second shot on target in his Prem career.
Dendoncker - 5 - I criticised his selection ahead of Boly before the game and saw nothing in the 90 mins to reverse my criticism.
Jonny - 5.5 - Possibly his poorest display first half, since his return. Second better, but not yet at his best.
Semedo - 6 - Didn't think he knew his role when going forwards as he didn't overlap or cut inside.
Neves - 6 - Worked hard as always. Distribution and shooting was off.
Moutinho - 5 - Consistently gave the ball away. One overhit pass to Neto sticks in the mind. Some decent set-piece deliveries.
Traore - 4 - Static and rarely tested Villa's stand-in RB.
Jose - 4 - His 6th or 7th game and I don't think I've rated him above a 5! Seems disinterested and his work-rate is poor.
Neto - 7 - Ran at Villa but was expected to do it all himself with little support. Best of a poor bunch.

Subs;

Silva - 5 - Not ready to lead the line, but there is no one else.

I'm getting to the stage now, where I don't care if I watch us or not which is disappointing as Wolves is the principal reason that I pay for satellite TV. Apathy is much worse than getting angry about performances as at least anger shows one cares.
A big summer coming up for Fosun, Shi and Wolves and how it pans-out will really test their resolve!

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We really are the most boring team in the PL. Nuno needs replacing at the end of the season, we really are the most embarrassingly boring team in the whole world to watch, it’s snoozeworthy
Simple solution, Dont watch it until we get in a manager whose style you like.

R

reanswolf

With hindsight the club probably regret selling him. We could certainly use an in form Jota right now.

However, at the time I was fully behind the sale, it made excellent business sense. We got a massive fee for a player that the club believed had hit his ceiling and wouldn't improve further.

Unless I'm mistaken he had two years left on his contract, it's usually at that point that a player's value starts to depreciate unless a new one is signed.

If he'd spent most of this season sat on the bench whilst Neto played in his place his value would have been greatly diminished at the end of the season.

Then there's the rumours of Ryan Bennett playing around with his Mrs, if they're true a new start was probably best all round.
I understand why he was sold, after all when Liverpool come in what can you do. But all this stuff about Jota having "hit his ceiling" and "running down blind channels" is the stuff of simpletons, it really is.

He is 23 FFS, and still improving. He may well have spells when he goes in and out of form, but without him we have looked devoid of attacking intent, even with Raul fit. If it goes tits up for himat Liverpool, I would have him back in an instant, along with neves my favourite player at Wolves in many years.

arctic rime

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
God the doom mongers are out. Why dont you go and support liverpool. Oh, wait they lost the last 5 at home without scoring. I thought we played ok and really pretty good second half. The score should/could have been 2-2. We have played much worse than that and whilst i dont think jose is the answer i do see silva improving. As for sacking nuno ffs you entitled ****ers

100% agree

D

Deleted member LP 3925

Great post. Back in the 80’s I made many a far flung journey to the footballing backwaters to watch truly **** football (often alone - cos we were so crap no one else would join me). In no way am I claiming to be any kind of a super fan (I know I’m not) ... but I do wonder how much of this ‘ground work’ some of the self entitled ..., calling for Nuno to be sacked, have done.

Bang on.
The best phrase in this thread: ‘Ground work’

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
God the doom mongers are out. Why dont you go and support liverpool. Oh, wait they lost the last 5 at home without scoring. I thought we played ok and really pretty good second half. The score should/could have been 2-2. We have played much worse than that and whilst i dont think jose is the answer i do see silva improving. As for sacking nuno ffs you entitled ****ers
I take it you haven't seen AC Fulham play recently?
We are light years away from them.
Nino/Moxley out

DasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

People kept saying it's intentional to keep it tight and then come out second half. Even if we're playing against a conference team.

They eventually seemed to stop saying this when we went in pretty much every first half at 1-0 or 2-0 down. The game plan still carries on though.

It doesn't give us an advantage, it just throws most of the game away because we spend a lot of time doing nothing, and regularly have to overcome being a goal or two down. Which is why it's baffling we do it pretty much every week.

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agree with most of you comments MEW.

MOTM Neto yes. He ran miles.

Worst player. Traore by a mile. Have to say it. Donk and Semedo were miles more involved in the game than Traore and did what they had to do. Yes there was the odd hiccup but they did their job. Traore was at his frustrating best. The fastest player in the Premier League by a country mile, up against an ageing full back and he created zilch, had not one shot on target, one decent cross and frustrated the hell out of me!

Nuno was singing Adama’s praises this week. God knows why!

At his best Adama could be a world beater, but I cannot think of any game this season when he has made a significant contribution. I want to see him perform like he did against Man City scoring those 2 wonderful goals after linking with Raul. He is miles away from that atm.

I was brought up watching wingers/wide men like Terry Wharton, Alan Hinton, Waggy, Steve Froggatt and Tony Daley (yes I know) who put a shift in for 90 minutes. Adama is creating nothing special at all this season and the signing of a new contract (on no doubt better terms) does not make sense.
I think he'll be sold in the summer. It will be a cut price deal and might even come at a loss. Just a few months of top performances would see his value at £50m plus, but not that yesterday - wouldn't shift him for half that amount.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think he'll be sold in the summer. It will be a cut price deal and might even come at a loss. Just a few months of top performances would see his value at £50m plus, but not that yesterday - wouldn't shift him for half that amount.
He is still worth a big fee despite being out of form .

I expect we will get 40-50m for him and then sign some Portuguese under 17 then everyone on here can be delighted they don’t have to watch traore any more

Corporal Hicks

Groupie
Reaction score
I used to play ‘1 man Wembley’ as a kid, we play a premier league equivalent of that, get the ball to Neto and hope he can take on the entire team every time and score a worldie. In the past that would have applied to Traore also but nope, not any more.
I’ve been trying to give Jose the benefit of the doubt but he brings nothing imo, a refresh is definitely needed in a number of areas in the summer.
I can only think the tactic is to do whatever it takes to not lose games, eek us over the safety points mark and secure prem status for another year, why play this way if not?. I think we’ll see a mutual parting of ways in the summer but Nunos legacy will still be one of success, neither party would want to see it end on a relegation note.
It’s not pretty but likely to do the job.

Denmark Wolf

Reaction score
There was a game of football.

They were the stronger in the first half but hit the woodwork when it would be easier to score.

We were the stronger in the second half but contrived to sky it or shoot at the keeper when it would be easier to score.

Rui had one save to make in something like the 89th minute.

Roll on next season, and hopefully we’ll start playing like we do in the second half of matches. Because frankly there’s little else to say in that non event of a game.
Indeed. Thought we looked better than recent. It’s to be expected that the home side comes at us. But we held our own. The Villa chances were basically lucky. Not because they outplayed us....

Next season....next season son.

We will be chatting here live giving our verdict , if you wish to join us you can zoom in with us:

Meeting ID: 923 9643 5993
Passcode: 255143

Please be patient as you are admitted into waiting room and then added to the call.
Thought we looked better than recent. It’s to be expected that the home side comes at us. But we held our own. The Villa chances were basically lucky. Not because they outplayed us....

Next season....next season, son.

In Nuno We Trust.

Taffywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For all the bad luck we've had in the past we're getting all the good luck now. Again yesterday we should of been out of the game in the 1st half like in the past half dozen matches. Villa hit the bar twice and they'll be very disappointed to go in at HT at 0-0, goals change games and we hung on by the skin of our teeth. Wolves are boring to watch at the moment very predictable and slow in possession especially in the 1st half, our possession stats are terrible. We don't get enough men into area to score goals and so many times yesterday Jose didn't have anyone within 30 yards of him.

Back
Top Bottom