Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Are we perhaps a little too wedded to our 'style'?

Kingswood Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
We all know we play the same way, regardless of opposition and it's terrific and it's serving us very, very well. I think we played really well against both Brighton and Spurs, correcting the performance (if not result) against Watford. We've just got to iron out the errors and we'll be back to winning ways I'm sure.

But watching the Spurs match, I couldn't believe we didn't actively target Foyth (PL debut), Trippier (can't defend) and Sissoko (well known camel) until... well, until we actually did. Why wait until we were three down before ruffling their feathers a bit? Why weren't we at them from the first minute?

I think our almost 'purist' attachment to our style can sometimes be detrimental and in constantly believing in one way at the cost of being slightly more malleable, I am reminded of late-era Wenger Arsenal. Talking of whom, if we don't get after Xhaka, Mustafi and Holding then I will scream as they're clearly the weak links.

I just don't think we're good enough yet to impose ourselves on the big teams without paying attention to the opposition's glaring weaknesses.

paulhick

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I do trust the system but was talking last night about how I think we should set up and push at teams when needed. My thought is putting Traore as centre forward with cav and costa on either side of him and just pump balls for him to run into. Yes it’s total basic lump ball but would like to see what teams would do with these 3 running at them.

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I do trust the system but was talking last night about how I think we should set up and push at teams when needed. My thought is putting Traore as centre forward with cav and costa on either side of him and just pump balls for him to run into. Yes it’s total basic lump ball but would like to see what teams would do with these 3 running at them.
I'd like to see us play more balls forward through the middle like Gibbs White pass to Costa last game, for forwards to run onto. A dimension that's been lacking from games so far. Traore certainly has the speed to benefit from that, but not sure at the moment he's that player who makes those kind of clever runs, he's great running with the ball, but when he doesn't have it he's too static, if we can improve that part of his game great. Doc is fairly good at making runs into the box getting behind the defence.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4436

I don’t think we’re getting anywhere near enough credit for our performance in the first 20-25 minutes.

We controlled the game.

Me and my mate were in utter disbelief to find ourselves 2 nil down against Spurs when they’d barely fashioned a chance.

Being 3 nil down doesn’t mean that we were poor or that the system doesn’t work. Sometimes, it’s just down to individual errors. Regardless of the system, you can't afford to not track the runner (Jonny on Lamela) or leave someone with a free header from 6 yards (Coady/Bennett on Moura).

Two moments that should have been dealt with relatively comfortably see us 2 down.

Last edited by a moderator:

Liskeard wolf

Reaction score
The system isn't the problem. We need to upgrade our squad over the next couple of windows. Once we've done that, we can start to look at achieving something more seriously.
Dead right Andy. It's work in progress. It will develope as we go

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
overall I think they system and formation is fine and works well. This we need a bit more variation and creativity in the final third and to be more clinical in our finishing, but those things don't require moving away from our system style, If we need to change anything its maybe in how defensive/attack minded our central midfield is, again not a radical change in system to some flexibility in the system to suit whats happening at any one time in a match and to a degree who the opposition is.

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t think we’re getting anywhere near enough credit for our performance in the first 20-25 minutes.

We controlled the game.

Me and my mate were in utter disbelief to find ourselves 2 nil down against Spurs when they’d barely fashioned a chance.

Being 3 nil down doesn’t mean that we were poor or that the system doesn’t work. Sometimes, it’s just down to individual errors. Regardless of the system, you can't afford to not track the runner (Jonny on Lamela) or leave someone with a free header from 6 yards (Coady/Bennett on Moura).

Two moments that should have been dealt with relatively comfortably see us 2 down.
think their third goal was partly due to us pushing forward more to try and get back in the game and therefore them having more time to hist us on the break, if the disallowed goal had been given and score then was 2-1 not 2-0 then probably they don't get as good an opportunity for the third

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We all know we play the same way, regardless of opposition and it's terrific and it's serving us very, very well. I think we played really well against both Brighton and Spurs, correcting the performance (if not result) against Watford. We've just got to iron out the errors and we'll be back to winning ways I'm sure.

But watching the Spurs match, I couldn't believe we didn't actively target Foyth (PL debut), Trippier (can't defend) and Sissoko (well known camel) until... well, until we actually did. Why wait until we were three down before ruffling their feathers a bit? Why weren't we at them from the first minute?

I think our almost 'purist' attachment to our style can sometimes be detrimental and in constantly believing in one way at the cost of being slightly more malleable, I am reminded of late-era Wenger Arsenal. Talking of whom, if we don't get after Xhaka, Mustafi and Holding then I will scream as they're clearly the weak links.

I just don't think we're good enough yet to impose ourselves on the big teams without paying attention to the opposition's glaring weaknesses.
Do we need another thread discussing the same theme over and over? Ad nauseum.

D

Deleted member 4099

I’m not worried in the slightest. It’s evolution not revolution enjoy the ride. We were great Saturday gave Top 6 side a great game. On to Arsenal.

D

Deleted member 4436

think their third goal was partly due to us pushing forward more to try and get back in the game and therefore them having more time to hist us on the break, if the disallowed goal had been given and score then was 2-1 not 2-0 then probably they don't get as good an opportunity for the third

100%.

We’re one shocking decision away from being bang in the game. It was never a 0-2 game at half time.

Sure, the last 15 minutes were comfortable for Spurs. I absolutely put that down to us being knocked out of our stride.

Normal service resumed in the 2nd half. We played really well.

RJs Tankard

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The system isn't the problem. We need to upgrade our squad over the next couple of windows. Once we've done that, we can start to look at achieving something more seriously.

I said this in a post a couple of weeks ago. The system isn't the problem. The problem is that we have a forward line that are struggling for form.

Costa hasn't been the same player since his injury. Jota is either off-form or struggling to adapt to the Premier League. Bonatini has been Kevin Doyle Mk2 for the past 11 months and isn't good enough.

If Costa and Jota can rediscover their top form again, then we'll have one hell of a team.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Plan B is another malt :D
Is it possible to find a pub in Wolvo that is not jammed to the rafters before ko?????!!!!!!! Subtle way of changing the 'way we play' subject which is becoming extremely boring and is getting on my tits!!!!!!

AlexWolvesHD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There are always tweaks that can be made to make our system better and more effective, I trust Nuno to do so as each transfer window passes and the squad quality increases

ombyman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Everyone is seriously ok with playing one system and having limited tactical flexibility? I'm shocked if that is the case.

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Are you serious? Can I have a half ounce of what you're smoking please?

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
100%.

We’re one shocking decision away from being bang in the game. It was never a 0-2 game at half time.

Sure, the last 15 minutes were comfortable for Spurs. I absolutely put that down to us being knocked out of our stride.

Normal service resumed in the 2nd half. We played really well.
****ing cheating linesman ****.

Snorbans Wolf

Reaction score
We are fine with one system. It’s about Nuno having slightly different options that he feels he can trust within the system (and some players finding better form e.g. Jota).

Last season we could swap out Saiss and swap in N’Diaye, who was a different style of player who would break forward and support the attack.

This season I don’t think Nuno has yet got to a point where he feels some of his alternative options (Dendoncker, Saiss, MGW, Vinagre, or giving more time to Traore) can be trusted enough - at least until he brought on MGW on Saturday... which of course went brilliantly.

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fool, don’t you know it’s considered treason to start a thread questioning King Nuno?

Wasting your time on here unfortunately.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We are fine having one ‘system’ however the fine art is manipulating that system to match whom we face, I think we compare the Burnley game to the City, we can see that ability in effect, two ways of playing in the one system.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd like to see us play more balls forward through the middle like Gibbs White pass to Costa last game, for forwards to run onto. A dimension that's been lacking from games so far. Traore certainly has the speed to benefit from that, but not sure at the moment he's that player who makes those kind of clever runs, he's great running with the ball, but when he doesn't have it he's too static, if we can improve that part of his game great. Doc is fairly good at making runs into the box getting behind the defence.
I agree, what we miss imo is a midfielder who plays behind the strikers and can thread / chip / drive balls through defenses to create different sorts of chances, like MGW did on Saturday. At the moment we rely too much on switching play and then creating from wide having overloaded, magic from Neves or interplay between wing backs and strikers. Then again, Nuno doesn't strike me as a mug (although I think some overstate the achievement last season SLIGHTLY as we had the most valuable side thanks to Fosun & Mendes) and we are creating chances playing the way we do.

Kingswood Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Just to clarify, I'm not advocating we start playing 442 and lumping long balls into Jiminez .

WonderWolf

WoWoWoobsykins
Reaction score
How hard is it to understand that we are about us and perfecting and a delivering on the 'idea.'

We can do a Watford and adjust/adapt to the opposition but how would that work out for us in the long term??

The big clubs always seek to impose and dictate with their thing. #WeAreWolves!!! :)

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Has the guy not earned our trust.
He's earned our faith, loyalty and even a little bit of manly love. Nobody though, not even our Nuno, has won blind trust and as loyal supporters we've earned the right to question anyone and anything that happens at our club. Personaly, I'd like to see Nuno show the flexibility of thought to adapt to the PL by changing things as necessary without abandoning his so-called philosophy (i.e. trusting in our players' ability to break teams down by playing football).

groundhogwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's earned our faith, loyalty and even a little bit of manly love. Nobody though, not even our Nuno, has won blind trust and as loyal supporters we've earned the right to question anyone and anything that happens at our club. Personaly, I'd like to see Nuno show the flexibility of thought to adapt to the PL by changing things as necessary without abandoning his so-called philosophy (i.e. trusting in our players' ability to break teams down by playing football).

We all have an opinion, fortunately Nuno, is ahead of schedule.

Back
Top Bottom