Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

All quiet on the Johnson front

those were the days

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Have been disappointed to see no stories in the press linking Roger Johnson away from Wolves. Seems to me like his agent isn't working v hard to get him a move.

Maybe this is harsh, but is Johnson so unambitious that he's happy to sit it out and leech the club for his wages 'Bogarde-style'? He really needs to move for everyone's sake, including his own self-respect. There's a decent player still in there but unless he achieves something over the next few seasons he's going to have a v poor legacy to look back on given the last three and a bit years and counting.

E

Essex Wolf

Sadly I dare say there are some players who are happy to pick up money for doing little. I find it hard to imagine anyone being that way but law of averages and all that?

W

we8wba

surprised cardiff havent come in for him at reduced price

someone will just before the end of the window! he's worth the risk if you can get his form from 3 seasons ago back

B

Broadbent

Whatever all of you think of him, nobody is going to walk away from his income. He signed a contract and it is not his choice to be sidelined. I am no Rojo supporter by any means but some of you are a bit unrealistic.

He is not a 'leech' .. just someone who is not going to refuse his wages. He would say that his contract still has him as a Wolves player. He is contractually obliged to stay fit and to train properly and as far as I know, that is what he does.

F

FLEET WOLF

Whatever all of you think of him, nobody is going to walk away from his income. He signed a contract and it is not his choice to be sidelined. I am no Rojo supporter by any means but some of you are a bit unrealistic.

He is not a 'leech' .. just someone who is not going to refuse his wages. He would say that his contract still has him as a Wolves player. He is contractually obliged to stay fit and to train properly and as far as I know, that is what he does.

Whilst I agree with that, someone of his age, 31 (?) surely wants to be playing as much as he can now, before he gets too old?

C

cooper_J

surprised cardiff havent come in for him at reduced price

someone will just before the end of the window! he's worth the risk if you can get his form from 3 seasons ago back

Worth the risk at £40k a week?

B

Broadbent

Whilst I agree with that, someone of his age, 31 (?) surely wants to be playing as much as he can now, before he gets too old?

Lets hope so - don't get me wrong - I don't want him at the club any more than you do. Lets hope somebody wants him. Soon.

those were the days

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

I wouldn't expect Johnson to refuse his wages but I would expect him and his agent to be looking very hard to find another job. If he's here past the transfer window, I'd start to consider him a leech as he has the ability to play at a higher level and is clearly not wanted at Wolves.

I do see what you're saying but he's only a Wolves player because of the v unusual nature of football contracts, which puts all the power into the hands of the players. In any other walk of life, he'd have been laid off on a few months notice if his employer were getting rid of under-performing high earners. In many jobs, he'd have been sacked for turning up to work drunk too!

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why would anyone want him?
His attitude is a disgrace and he is mr relegation man on his cv! Then there are his wages!

C

Cassady

Yes he is hardly an attractive proposition he has been the kiss of death to football clubs. I would suggest he buys himself a scythe and does what he is good at.

Uncle Festa

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How can you be surprised. He is $$$$. A throwback to the type of centrehalf from the 70's. Its no surprise to me he hasn't had any interest. I'd be more shocked if he isn't the only one left out of the transfer listed four.

M

Major Winters

Just because there are few rumours going around doesn't mean his agent isn't working hard trying to get him a move - maybe he's just doing things in a more professional manner and going about things directly with clubs rather than through the media?

bod101

Admin & No.4
Reaction score
he wasn't great in the prem. however i didnt think he was all that bad in the champ. for me he is streets ahead of ohara.

Tony

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A quote from KJ in the E&S:-

Meanwhile, Jackett cautioned against transfer-listed trio Roger Johnson, Stephen Ward and Jamie O’Hara being loaned out.
“Right now, it’s not something that’s on our mind, but possibly in the future, yes. “There hasn’t been any interest in them,†he said.

M

MonkeySpanner

Should never of signed him in the first place. It was quite obviouse he never wanted to come here. After arriving it was obviouse the moral of the team started to take a massive decline.

Can't see anyone wanting him....or maybe Celtic might want to do a deal? :D

P

Paul76

He's an average Championship defender on rediculous Premiership wages. This is the problem we've got.

E

Essex Wolf

Should never of signed him in the first place. It was quite obviouse he never wanted to come here. After arriving it was obviouse the moral of the team started to take a massive decline.

Hindsight MS and all that but looking back I can understand why he was signed, it just never quite worked out for all concerned.

D

Dewsburywolf

Didn't Jason Koumas finally get signed up recently (Tranmere??) His contract ran out ages ago but no-one appeared to want to take a punt on him

Vietnam Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
His nose is in the lucrative money trough, just like O'Hara's greedy, lazy, nose.

I honestly believe that at his age, with hs reputation, he'll never match this deal elsewhere even IF (and it's a big IF) his agent is even looking.

I think Roger and Ohara have respectively 2/3 years left on their contracts? ... Could be an expensive lesson for Moxey this one.

Sheriff Woody

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Big wages putting off all sensible club, Johnson and O'Hara will most probably have to take substantial pay cuts for others to be interested in taking them on. I imagine neither of them are particularly keen to miss out on their 'well earned' cash and will happily sit it out with the youth team rather than has any professional ambition.

Symptomatic of the modern day footballer.

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why would anyone want him?
His attitude is a disgrace and he is mr relegation man on his cv! Then there are his wages!

I'd agree with the wages, no so sure about the relegation theory.

As regards his attitude, are you referring to the alcohol incident, or are there other reasons that you are citing ?

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He has been hounded while he was here since he dared to criticise a section of the crowd for their treatment of Karl Henry!

His form suffered and so did the clubs fortunes. We were intent on making this a vortex into which we were going to take him down off his high horse, but of course forgetting that in doing so we were taking the club down as well!

In fairness to him, he came back quite well last season, in spite of having to fight his own support or a section of it, and performed reasonably well.

If he had been supported throughout, perhaps there would have been a better karma about the defence and we may have won those extra few points to stave off our becoming a Third Division outfit!

Now we dont understand why he and we are in our respective positions?

Just adding the above in the interests of balance!

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He has been hounded while he was here since he dared to criticise a section of the crowd for their treatment of Karl Henry!

His form suffered and so did the clubs fortunes. We were intent on making this a vortex into which we were going to take him down off his high horse, but of course forgetting that in doing so we were taking the club down as well!

In fairness to him, he came back quite well last season, in spite of having to fight his own support or a section of it, and performed reasonably well.

If he had been supported throughout, perhaps there would have been a better karma about the defence and we may have won those extra few points to stave off our becoming a Third Division outfit!

Now we dont understand why he and we are in our respective positions?

Just adding the above in the interests of balance!

Problem with Johnson for me is that he showed a distinct lack of interest in being here the day he signed. There was euphoria when he signed, finally a top quality center half, but I knew something wasn't right the day I saw his press conference and performances/body language in his first season. He wanted to sign for a top club that summer (top 8) and I get the feeling he was surprised one didn't come in for him, especially after his performance in the League Cup final for Small Heath of which he was outstanding. Roger Johnson didn't sign for Wolves, he settled for Wolves.

Sad thing is however if he showed a similar kind of passion and will last season it could have been a different story. He actually played like he wanted to be here last season. I remember the final whistle going against Birmingham away and his reaction was Stuart Pearce esque when he scored that penalty in 96.

Now though, in a similar way to O'Hara because of wage/lifestyle/Londoner in the eyes of Wolves fans he "stands" for what has gone wrong, when in truth he is just a symptom. He simply cannot stay. I do however all said and done thing there is still a good old fashioned centre half in there who may surprise us and go elsewhere and do well.

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Problem with Johnson for me is that he showed a distinct lack of interest in being here the day he signed. There was euphoria when he signed, finally a top quality center half, but I knew something wasn't right the day I saw his press conference and performances/body language in his first season. He wanted to sign for a top club that summer (top 8) and I get the feeling he was surprised one didn't come in for him, especially after his performance in the League Cup final for Small Heath of which he was outstanding. Roger Johnson didn't sign for Wolves, he settled for Wolves.

Sad thing is however if he showed a similar kind of passion and will last season it could have been a different story. He actually played like he wanted to be here last season. I remember the final whistle going against Birmingham away and his reaction was Stuart Pearce esque when he scored that penalty in 96.

Now though, in a similar way to O'Hara because of wage/lifestyle/Londoner in the eyes of Wolves fans he "stands" for what has gone wrong, when in truth he is just a symptom. He simply cannot stay. I do however all said and done thing there is still a good old fashioned centre half in there who may surprise us and go elsewhere and do well.

I think that's a good post Walsall in fairness!

Wolvesfcneil

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
agree that the wages of RJ and JOH are putting off prospective buyers

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Mugwump

He was a disgrace in the premier league and he disrespected the captaincy and the club with his actions. He deserved every bit of abuse he got. He did knuckle down more last season but the damage was already done by then. The likes of Cullis and Billy Wright would be turning in their graves at the things Johnson got up to as captain, and no way would somebody like Cullis have put up with him. We need to get back to those standards.

D

Deleted member 3545

Why majority of Wolves welcomes the signing of Johnson. hindsight is a wonderful thing.

those were the days

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
His agent has decided he at least better look if he's trying. Pretty lazy copy in The Mail if you ask me.

Perhaps his agent should ring up Arry, who is also on his books, and offer up Roger Johnson. If the deal was beneficial to all concerned, Harry would likely sign him faster than you could say Rosie Redknapp's Ready to Rumble, so I've heard.

Check out his agent's website - he's been involved in a fair few transfers but the 'poster boy' on the front page is none other than RJ. Depressing stuff.

Back
Top Bottom