Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Ait Nouri

grumpywolf

Reaction score
I will get slaughtered for this but I don’t get all the hype with him, I know he is only young and probably has a good future but his final ball and decisions are no better than Traore’s. Hope Marcal is soon fit enough to resume

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Marcal's crossing is equally as dire, but without any ability to even make runs. What we really need is a fit Jonny.

Really? He put in a few decent crosses and his corners have been better than Moutinho’s for weeks. Kilman scored from one!

If I was going to be critical of him today, I thought he looked knackered. Plenty of times he could’ve got down the wing (Saiss and Mout told him to) but he didn’t.

WWFC4EVA

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I will get slaughtered for this but I don’t get all the hype with him, I know he is only young and probably has a good future but his final ball and decisions are no better than Traore’s. Hope Marcal is soon fit enough to resume
He's gonna go on to have an outstanding career, of that I'm 100% certain...at the minute he couldn't put a cross on a lottery ticket!
He's not the only one, we insist on playing with WB's that create nothing. Neither of them seem to be able to pick an incisive pass or cross a ball.
I really like them both, moreso Aït-Nouri, but they're very frustrating to watch at times!

superwolves

Reaction score
The system we play frees up our wing backs but the quality from them isn't good enough for what we need they have to create the chances especially when playing at home the final ball isn't good enough from both leaving our strikers to feed on scraps

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Starting to become a bit more physical and the defensive side of his game is really improving.

Wasted a few openings but still put in the only delivery of any real quality when Mee nearly sliced it in his own net.

Kid will be a fantastic player in 2-3 years time.

MotorWoden

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Marcal puts in plenty of effort but is really quite a poor player by premier league standards. Ait Nouri is inconsitent and overcomplicates things a fair bit but he is 20; that's what you'd expect. With patience that will improve. His defending has already improved markedly since he first arrived. While we wait for Jonny to get back I would continue to give him the experience.

Chisels_n_ommers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The system we play frees up our wing backs but the quality from them isn't good enough for what we need they have to create the chances especially when playing at home the final ball isn't good enough from both leaving our strikers to feed on scraps
Nail on the head.

This whole system and style of play under Bruno opens up the wing backs. They are our no.1 biggest (POTENTIAL) threat.

Both are willing runners, putting in massive shifts. Both are doing defensively quite well. Both are making some intelligent runs and getting the balance just right.

And both lack that key ingredient that will totally transform us as a side and make us incredibly potent - both lack quality in the final third and make the wrong decisions time and time again.

We're threadbare with regards numbers. Defenders thin on the ground, Midfield lacking squad depth, no realistic cover for Raul.

Yet if we recruited in the two wingback positions and ignored those other areas (that we all know should be strengthened) it would actually propel us higher up the league than any other transfers in to the club.

Stourwolf

Reaction score
I absolutely agree.his final ball is pitiful.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I like him but thought he was poor tonight.

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Find another scapegoat. He's a kid in a foreign country, playing decently in the world's toughest professional football league, bar none! Do yourself a favour and go to bed!

Wolves Heathen

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He is lacking confidence when he goes forward, we have seen in the past that he can be a decent crosser just needs to believe in himself a bit more, remember when he first came he wasnt afraid to take a shot at goal, right now he doesnt even think to take a pot shot.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Nail on the head.

This whole system and style of play under Bruno opens up the wing backs. They are our no.1 biggest (POTENTIAL) threat.

Both are willing runners, putting in massive shifts. Both are doing defensively quite well. Both are making some intelligent runs and getting the balance just right.

And both lack that key ingredient that will totally transform us as a side and make us incredibly potent - both lack quality in the final third and make the wrong decisions time and time again.

We're threadbare with regards numbers. Defenders thin on the ground, Midfield lacking squad depth, no realistic cover for Raul.

Yet if we recruited in the two wingback positions and ignored those other areas (that we all know should be strengthened) it would actually propel us higher up the league than any other transfers in to the club.
The system is designed to have the wing backs played in behind, not slide the ball to feet with a defender in front of them. Midfield is the issue with the team by far and away

superwolves

Reaction score
Nail on the head.

It's exactly right. With our 3 strikers now playing more inside we are reliant on the wingbacks to create the width and provide the service to the forwards we are relying on top quality from our wingbacks

goldfish

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nail on the head.

Don't think I've ever agreed with a post more. It saddens me a bit because I like both Semedo and Ait-Nouri, though I think the latter has a huge career ahead of him still.

I'm not sure Jonny's the answer in this system either tbh. He and Doherty are good at coming inside, which is the last thing we need with a narrower front three now.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Great again tonight. Midfield two far too slow in getting him the ball. If they pass it quicker would see what he’s really capable off

He’s crossing to Jimenez vs 4 men most the time. What’s the point . Also put in two magnificent balls when no one was attacking .

Hwang simply offers zero threat making it so predictable what we will do.

Ercall Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sorry disagree

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Great again tonight. Midfield two far too slow in getting him the ball. If they pass it quicker would see what he’s really capable off

He’s crossing to Jimenez vs 4 men most the time. What’s the point . Also put in two magnificent balls when no one was attacking .

Hwang simply offers zero threat making it so predictable what we will do.
Raul barely got in the box tonight, just sort of stood in front of the CBs and then strolled to edge of the box as cross came in

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Raul barely got in the box tonight, just sort of stood in front of the CBs and then strolled to edge of the box as cross came in
Did look strangely lethargic . Don’t think he believes he will win the cross to be fair.

It’s ridiculous. Why is the tactic to get it wide to cross it one man? Doesn’t make any sense .

Sooner we sign a CB CM and go to a back 4 to get the best out our players the better

Royal wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's gonna go on to have an outstanding career, of that I'm 100% certain...at the minute he couldn't put a cross on a lottery ticket!
He's not the only one, we insist on playing with WB's that create nothing. Neither of them seem to be able to pick an incisive pass or cross a ball.
I really like them both, moreso Aït-Nouri, but they're very frustrating to watch at times!
100% this. Our biggest problem in a nutshell.

superwolves

Reaction score
Hoever would be getting a chance Saturday for me against his old club

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What are wing backs supposed to do when they're only given the ball sideways with defenders in front of them. They are perpetually ignored when they make runs in behind.
This . Strange thread getting on at the full backs . Lack of understsnding

Chisels_n_ommers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The system is designed to have the wing backs played in behind, not slide the ball to feet with a defender in front of them. Midfield is the issue with the team by far and away
I disagree on 3 counts:-

1) If you slide balls in behind defenders then not only is it a higher degree of difficulty in the pass, but also it is a higher degree of difficulty in the timing of the run by the wing back and therefore has more chance of not coming off

2) You run the risk that if/when the defender cuts out the ball (which is a higher probability given the points in 1 above) then your wing back is not goal side for the turnover.

3) If it comes off and you set your wing back off into an offensive position and that wing back has the attacking quality of Semedo/RAN then you ultimately still have the same lack of quality delivery/decision making to conclude the passage of play

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

I disagree on 3 counts:-

1) If you slide balls in behind defenders then not only is it a higher degree of difficulty in the pass, but also it is a higher degree of difficulty in the timing of the run by the wing back and therefore has more chance of not coming off

2) You run the risk that if/when the defender cuts out the ball (which is a higher probability given the points in 1 above) then your wing back is not goal side for the turnover.

3) If it comes off and you set your wing back off into an offensive position and that wing back has the attacking quality of Semedo/RAN then you ultimately still have the same lack of quality delivery/decision making to conclude the passage of play
Playing high degree of difficulty passes is what premier league CMs are supposed to do and yeah you have to risk turning the ball over to score. We never do because our CMs just slide it sideways. When you have 3 CBs you should risk losing the ball especially with inside wingers to track back. They have more than enough quality when not asked to cross from deep or receive the ball with a defender on them. You could have Trent and Cancelo and they'd struggle receiving slow build up with defenders on them.

DDPPwolf313

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
You had me until that last sentence :tearsofjoy:

Held his own physically today, defended well. A bit lackluster going forward and checked back a couple of times when we had bodies on the box.

But I like him

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Burnley probably the worst team to judge a wing-back against.

Firstly, they are one of few that always double up no matter what. I was seeing people shout at Ait-Nouri telling him to beat his man, but there was always two there when he was shouting. You can't just expect him to be able to beat two players at a time.

Then, Burnley also crowd the box. So, if you do cross, you're putting it in to an area that virtually always has 5/6 Burnley men there to clear it, meaning the crosses look bad.

I thought he did alright given those circumstances.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Burnley probably the worst team to judge a wing-back against.

Firstly, they are one of few that always double up no matter what. I was seeing people shout at Ait-Nouri telling him to beat his man, but there was always two there when he was shouting. You can't just expect him to be able to beat two players at a time.

Then, Burnley also crowd the box. So, if you do cross, you're putting it in to an area that virtually always has 5/6 Burnley men there to clear it, meaning the crosses look bad.

I thought he did alright given those circumstances.
Almost like you need between the lines passes into players in the half spaces...

Chisels_n_ommers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Playing high degree of difficulty passes is what premier league CMs are supposed to do and yeah you have to risk turning the ball over to score. We never do because our CMs just slide it sideways. When you have 3 CBs you should risk losing the ball especially with inside wingers to track back. They have more than enough quality when not asked to cross from deep or receive the ball with a defender on them. You could have Trent and Cancelo and they'd struggle receiving slow build up with defenders on them.
We do slide passes in to both wing backs on occasion. Not as much as you possibly would like and perhaps myself too.

However, the ultimate point is, if you play a ball inside the fullback to Semedo to run on to and he gets ahead of his marker and is able to get his head up - what happens next?

Ditto RAN.

Are you expecting them to then make the right decision? To create a goal? To put one on Raul's head? To pick out a man on the edge of the box? To whip one in for someone to run on to? To perhaps even take a shot on and score themselves?

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

We do slide passes in to both wing backs on occasion. Not as much as you possibly would like and perhaps myself too.

However, the ultimate point is, if you play a ball inside the fullback to Semedo to run on to and he gets ahead of his marker and is able to get his head up - what happens next?

Ditto RAN.

Are you expecting them to then make the right decision? To create a goal? To put one on Raul's head? To pick out a man on the edge of the box? To whip one in for someone to run on to? To perhaps even take a shot on and score themselves?
We play sideways balls to them when the defence is set. Yeah they'd create more than enough if they actually had a chance to.

Newbridge Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thought he worked really hard defensively tonight. Wasn’t so great going forward, but as others have said, he looked a bit tired.

Don’t usually like the phrase “he’ll get better the more he plays”, it’s too overused and assumes that game time = guaranteed improvement, but in Ait Nouri’s case I think it rings true.

Johnny to the right for me when he’s fit. Semedo is never going to be good enough.

Chisels_n_ommers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We play sideways balls to them when the defence is set. Yeah they'd create more than enough if they actually had a chance to.
That's ultimately where we disagree.

I don't think they have the quality in an attacking situation, whether played through or whether receiving deeper.

So to play higher risk football with far more chances of turnovers/counters with your wing backs way out of position isn't worth the pay off in having RAN or Semedo in that offensive position. Put another way - it would result in far more goals scored against than created for.

But that's just my opinion, which is that our wing backs (in this system and style) are the biggest flaw in our progress.

I do, however agree with everyone that RAN is an improving young player and I'm certainly not saying he wouldn't be able to fulfil that role in the passage of time especially if he continues on an upward curve

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

That's ultimately where we disagree.

I don't think they have the quality in an attacking situation, whether played through or whether receiving deeper.

So to play higher risk football with far more chances of turnovers/counters with your wing backs way out of position isn't worth the pay off in having RAN or Semedo in that offensive position. Put another way - it would result in far more goals scored against than created for.

But that's just my opinion, which is that our wing backs (in this system and style) are the biggest flaw in our progress.

I do, however agree with everyone that RAN is an improving young player and I'm certainly not saying he wouldn't be able to fulfil that role in the passage of time especially if he continues on an upward curve
I mean we've never given our Wingbacks a chance to create tbh. Teams either overload our midfield and turn them over high or sit off because they know the ball will slowly get out wide.

Chisels_n_ommers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I mean we've never given our Wingbacks a chance to create tbh. Teams either overload our midfield and turn them over high or sit off because they know the ball will slowly get out wide.
I don't think you'll be seeing much of it in the next couple of games.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can't say I understand the complaints about him. He is involved constantly in the opposition half, unlike Marcal who barely left ours. He is a constant outlet, hence he invariably ends up among our top two or three players with most touches each game. Crosses are what they are, he delivers some good ones, he delivered 2-3 tonight that were very dangerous, he also delivers some crap ones, but that is the nature of crosses. Would like to see him run at players a little more but at the end of the day he will be instructed not to lose the ball easily as it leaves us exposed, he is a wing back, NOT a winger.

Back
Top Bottom