Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

A bit of help required re. 1988/89 Wolves shirts

Kingswood Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
This should probably be in the O/T forum but I'm an absolute nutter, me.

Does anyone have the rare-as-a-Paul-Lambert-smile white / away shirt from 1988/1989? It's Scoreline, Manders Paint & Ink etc. There's a few photos of it on Google images, but not many, and not in enough detail for what I need.

If you've got one, I'm NOT after buying it, I just require some specific information. And this only applies to the away version, not the equally glorious home shirt of that year.

Any help appreciated and will be greatly rewarded with unwavering forum support and constant 'likes' even if you start a thread called: Paul Lambert, football genius.

Thanks, Biff.

Sheriff Woody

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have one although it is a child size and is currently being worn proudly by a big cuddly gorilla.

Tony

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
football_shirt_42143_1_369x553x1.jpg
football_shirt_42143_2_369x553x1.jpg

Kingswood Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies so far everyone, I am just doing some sleuthing as to my shirt's provenance....

What I really need is the inside labels!

This thread is very niche, I apologise.

Kingswood Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
D

Deleted member TW5162

I have the home one if the information on label is the same if that is what you are after?

IMG_1697.JPG

IMG_1698.JPG

D

Deleted member TW5162

Mine was the same as TrueWolfs but with and additional label underneath, unfortunately there is no sign of markings left on it now.

Mine has the label underneath too, and legible, I just didn't take a piccy before. And an additional Arnel label sewn on the inside on one side...

IMG_1702.JPG

IMG_1703.JPG

Probably not any help but y'know :)

Attachments

• IMG_1702.JPG
    IMG_1702.JPG
    687.4 KB · Views: 8

Kingswood Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Blimey everyone, I appreciate this.

Right, here we go.

I now have two home versions, both of which I am sure are legit. Both look aged, both have all the labels etc etc.

I have just gotten a white away one, which is a little different. The material seems correct (shiny on the outside, fleece-like on the inside) but he sponsors are different (not fleece-y or raised).

Sadly the Scoreline label on the neck has been cut out, but there are Scoreline iron transfers on the sleeves. Whereas on my two home shirts, Scoreline is on the chest.

The other thing on the away shirt is an inside hip label that says 'Arnel' on it. After some research turns out it's an American name for the shiny/fleece material. Company went under in the late 80s so that's 'good' in terms of age...

Finally, all my shirts are fan-versions, so not embroidered or match worn.

Sheriff Woody

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think I might have this now.

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Wolverhampton_Wanderers/Wolverhampton_Wanderers.htm

This website shows that in 88/89 and 89/90 the shirts were dead similar, but very slightly different.

I have the home ones from 89/90 and the away one from 88/89.

Case closed, I think?

Spot on. The 88/89 had the score line logo on the sleeves and an almost iron on plasticky manders logo. The following year the score line logo moved to the chest and the manders logo was a raised almost padded thing that by and large fell off.

Kingswood Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Spot on. The 88/89 had the score line logo on the sleeves and an almost iron on plasticky manders logo. The following year the score line logo moved to the chest and the manders logo was a raised almost padded thing that by and large fell off.

I concur Sheriff. I guess same applies for the away shirts too. Just never seen one in the flesh before.

Does this mean I'm going to have to buy a 88/89 home shirt now?! I think it does.

DEVIZESWOLVES

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
im pretty sure that they did a limited edition run of the white ones signed by bully but can't remember what the reason was.
My neighbour at the time worked where they made all the shirts so I had everything and anything over the years.

This one was signed by Bull last November (pic of the guy I got it from having it done) but I never knew they did an official run of them?

D

Deleted member 4594

I remember having a Scoreline shirt as a kid and getting my Mom to cut the label out as it was one of those scratchy ones!

So to me, the fact it is cut out suggests it's probably genuine!
My mom did exactly the same mate!!!

I remember being really ****** off in the summer of 89 when I wasn't allowed the 89/90 version with scoreline on the front because "it looks exactly the bloody same as the one you've got." Cheers dad.

DEVIZESWOLVES

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Mate they did do a run of 750 shirts but I think it was just the home shirts. Just dug mine out.View attachment 977

That's awsome mate, exactly the same as my home version (label should say the molinuex collection?)
If you notice the signatures are different and I thought my home one wasn't quite right but yours confirmed what I thought... That was Bull's early signature, if you look at my away one which was signed last year, it's different but is exactly the same as my signed bully book and his signature he uses today.
I had tried to find out if the signature on my home one was legit and only found a similar one on an old wolves football but seeing your pic has confirmed it all! Cheers for that.

Ducci

Groupie
Reaction score
That's awsome mate, exactly the same as my home version (label should say the molinuex collection?)
If you notice the signatures are different and I thought my home one wasn't quite right but yours confirmed what I thought... That was Bull's early signature, if you look at my away one which was signed last year, it's different but is exactly the same as my signed bully book and his signature he uses today.
I had tried to find out if the signature on my home one was legit and only found a similar one on an old wolves football but seeing your pic has confirmed it all! Cheers for that.
Just to confirm the label does say the molineux collection.DSC_0084.JPG

Balti Pie

Reaction score
Hoping someone can shed some light on a junior shirt I have from the same era. I initially thought it was a fake, however the material, stripes & collar etc appear to be right and it has the same flocked lining. It even has the same 70% nylon / 30% Triacetate materials matching the other labels posted in the above photos.

As you can see it doesn't have the sponsor, manufacturer logo/label.

Can't remember any fakes from that era, but I suppose it's a while back now

4c374251-b1b7-43a1-8a86-ead65eec2c8c_zpsqtsbb5l4.jpg

IMG_20170509_202742_zpsnnlxx9br.jpg

IMG_20170509_202717_zpshjl0dqln.jpg

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4594

Hoping someone can shed some light on a junior shirt I have from the same era. I initially thought it was a fake, however the material, stripes & collar etc appear to be right and it has the same flocked lining. It even has the same 70% nylon / 30% Triacetate materials matching the other labels posted in the above photos.

It looks spot on. The badge is exactly how I remember mine.
I don't think fake shirts were about back then? I could be wrong but I don't remember long sleeves being available either?
Where did you get it from?

Kingswood Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Don't know anything about that one but it looks legit in every way (obviously barring the missing bits). Maybe it was a sample?

Balti Pie

Reaction score
It looks spot on. The badge is exactly how I remember mine.
I don't think fake shirts were about back then? I could be wrong but I don't remember long sleeves being available either?
Where did you get it from?

I purchased a couple of early 80's shirts off a chap a few years ago and this came with it - Unfortunately I didn't ask where he'd got it from and I can't remember if the 88-90 shirt had a long sleeve variant?

The 'sample' theory could stack-up, given it seems legit but there are no makers Logo's or labels. Does Steve Plant post on here, would be interested to see if he knows anything about it?

Going back to the 750 limited edition Steve Bull shirts. Seeing the photo of said shirt posted above refreshed a memory. I remember seeing them in the Wolves kiosk in the Mander Centre in the late 80's. I'd completely forgot about the existence of the Kiosk!! Would love to see a picture of it or the old North Bank club shop? I love stuff from this era. Anyway...being 13, I couldn't afford one of the Limited edition shirts unfortunately.

USA Wolf

President, Jordan Graham Fan Club
Reaction score
Someday I will spend all of my money on classic shirts. Probably once the kids move out :D

D

Deleted member 4594

I purchased a couple of early 80's shirts off a chap a few years ago and this came with it - Unfortunately I didn't ask where he'd got it from and I can't remember if the 88-90 shirt had a long sleeve variant?

The 'sample' theory could stack-up, given it seems legit but there are no makers Logo's or labels. Does Steve Plant post on here, would be interested to see if he knows anything about it?

Going back to the 750 limited edition Steve Bull shirts. Seeing the photo of said shirt posted above refreshed a memory. I remember seeing them in the Wolves kiosk in the Mander Centre in the late 80's. I'd completely forgot about the existence of the Kiosk!! Would love to see a picture of it or the old North Bank club shop? I love stuff from this era. Anyway...being 13, I couldn't afford one of the Limited edition shirts unfortunately.
Definatly seems to be a sample.
I used to love that kiosk...

Ducci

Groupie
Reaction score
Hoping someone can shed some light on a junior shirt I have from the same era. I initially thought it was a fake, however the material, stripes & collar etc appear to be right and it has the same flocked lining. It even has the same 70% nylon / 30% Triacetate materials matching the other labels po

In the late 80s I knew this girl who worked in a factory at Brierleyhill. They made a lot of the football shirts around at that time. Every now and then one would accidentally fall into her bag as it was passed down the line. I seem to remember seeing a few tops like that, mainly unfinished Wolves and Spurs shirts...
This could be one of those tops..

Back
Top Bottom