Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

8th. September 1888

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
On the 8th. September 1888 the first football league games ever played took place. The results were :

Everton 2 Accrington 1( at Anfield, home of Everton)
Aston Villa 1 Wolverhampton Wanderers1
Preston North End 5 Burnley 2
Stoke 0 West Bromwich Albion 2
Bolton Wanderers 3 Derby County 6

Blackburn Rovers v Notts. County was played a week later.

Gresham Cox of Aston Villa scored the first ever league goal.

Preston North End were crowned champions, and were unbeaten for all 22 games.

I wonder what it was like at the begining of it all.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
On the 8th. September 1888 the first football league games ever played took place. The results were :

Thought that was your date of birth Frank.. for a minute

pacamac

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Founding members of the football league and these ****s wanna sell off our name for fashion brands and computer gaming teams

Lisas Husband

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

What is this that you speak of that happened before 1992?

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I see there were 6 Midland sides and 6 North West sides. No Southern sides at all. Were the original sides based around works/factory teams established during the Industrial Revolution?

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I see there were 6 Midland sides and 6 North West sides. No Southern sides at all. Were the original sides based around works/factory teams established during the Industrial Revolution?
West Brom were formed as a works team.

Aston Villa were a church team.

And of course Wolves were originally St. Luke’s.

I am not sure about the others, but I would hazard a guess they were formed as teams from churches or factories.

marrs-guitar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think it's since been discovered that the first Wolves goal wasn't the first ever league goal as it kicked off later than some other games.

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think it's since been discovered that the first Wolves goal wasn't the first ever league goal as it kicked off later than some other games.
Sure I’ve read today Noblot got the first ever goal

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
West Brom were formed as a works team.

Aston Villa were a church team.

And of course Wolves were originally St. Luke’s.

I am not sure about the others, but I would hazard a guess they were formed as teams from churches or factories.
As a Londoner I'm interested why there were no Southern teams in the original league? It would make sense that factories formed football teams to encourage health and comradeship which played one another in the locality and over time they formed a wider league. I seem to recall you had sides like Corinthian Casuals and Old Etonians from the South formed from a different background completely from the more Northern teams. I must research all this as it is quite fascinating, esp if you have an interest in social and industrial history.

glorybox

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As I thought. Stoke have always been utter ****e.

glorybox

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Ask Kenny B

whitnash wolf ex.dewsbury

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

wolves home to villa first game

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
On a more serious note(!), this does show how over a century or so, the centre of gravity in football has shifted as the industrial muscle of Britain has gradually been lost. The Midlands and the mill towns of Lancashire are so well represented for a good reason. We were the workshop of the world back then. A few years ago, on a holiday trip to Peru, wherever we came across anything old made of iron or steel, we found things like 'made in Birmingham' or 'Cradley Heath' stamped on it. It was gob smacking. Most of the originals were still powerhouses of football until the end of the 50s, including us of course. In 1958 we won the League, and runners up were....PRESTON!

Newbridge Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
On a more serious note(!), this does show how over a century or so, the centre of gravity in football has shifted as the industrial muscle of Britain has gradually been lost. The Midlands and the mill towns of Lancashire are so well represented for a good reason. We were the workshop of the world back then. A few years ago, on a holiday trip to Peru, wherever we came across anything old made of iron or steel, we found things like 'made in Birmingham' or 'Cradley Heath' stamped on it. It was gob smacking. Most of the originals were still powerhouses of football until the end of the 50s, including us of course. In 1958 we won the League, and runners up were....PRESTON!
It’s interesting that the abolition of the maximum wage and that giving the bigger city clubs (with bigger crowds) more power is attributed to that.

Newbridge Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We had the first ever penalty too?
Billy Heath vs Accrington 14th September 1891, although that was the first scored in the football league. The first ever kick was scored a few months earlier by James McLuggage in a game between Royal Albert and Airdrieonians on the 6th June 1891 in an Airdrie Cup game! (It finished 2-0 to Royal Albert)

A lot of southern sides were still strictly amateur at that point. Prior to the FL being formed, clubs would play ad-hoc friendlies. The concept of the league was to have a more established and reliable fixture list to guarantee income.

You’ll notice that Blackburn and Notts County didn’t play on the first day, that’s because Blackburn had a more lucrative friendly against Newton Heath scheduled, and the FL wasn’t judged to be as important at that early stage.

It wasn’t the only league at the time, the Football Alliance was formed in 1889 containing sides like Sheffield Wednesday, Sunderland, Birmingham, Grimsby, Crewe, Nottingham Forest and Walsall. The two leagues merged in 1892, creating the Second Division

Indeed, it was the earliest in terms of time during the game, but not the first because of the varying kick off times. That honour went to James Davenport of Bolton.

D5111E36-C827-4D4C-9536-89DDD94DD462.png

Thank you Sir Jack

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Billy Heath vs Accrington 14th September 1891, although that was the first scored in the football league. The first ever kick was scored a few months earlier by James McLuggage in a game between Royal Albert and Airdrieonians on the 6th June 1891 in an Airdrie Cup game! (It finished 2-0 to Royal Albert)

A lot of southern sides were still strictly amateur at that point. Prior to the FL being formed, clubs would play ad-hoc friendlies. The concept of the league was to have a more established and reliable fixture list to guarantee income.

You’ll notice that Blackburn and Notts County didn’t play on the first day, that’s because Blackburn had a more lucrative friendly against Newton Heath scheduled, and the FL wasn’t judged to be as important at that early stage.

It wasn’t the only league at the time, the Football Alliance was formed in 1889 containing sides like Sheffield Wednesday, Sunderland, Birmingham, Grimsby, Crewe, Nottingham Forest and Walsall. The two leagues merged in 1892, creating the Second Division

Indeed, it was the earliest in terms of time during the game, but not the first because of the varying kick off times. That honour went to James Davenport of Bolton.

View attachment 23823
Great research.
You have to love the name, McLuggage.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I noticed that Everton played at Anfield, their home ground. I wonder what happened that meant Liverpool moved into Anfield, and I presume that Everton moved to Goodison Park at the same time.

Newbridge Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I noticed that Everton played at Anfield, their home ground. I wonder what happened that meant Liverpool moved into Anfield, and I presume that Everton moved to Goodison Park at the same time.
Everton fell out with the owner of Anfield, so looked for a new ground of their own (Goodison), the owner then set up his own team which turned out to be Liverpool.

Back
Top Bottom