Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

4_2_3_1 do some on the mix not understand the game?

steve vena

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Reading some comments on here and alot of people calling 4-2-3-1 defensive? Its ghe way to go forward, everyone is playing it now worldwide. Please can people who think its defensive read some football coaching books and swat up on tactics . We have started to get it right now and long may it continue. Playing through midfield, keeping pocession. Im chuffed we are playing it.

PREM.L.L

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
WAAAAAAAAAAAAY to defensive beyond defensive. It's appalling and everyone at the club should be shot!!!

In the real world, Possession gives an element of control and we had that yesterday. Some of these cabbage patches like Gillingham are a test though.

S

Smithy

Couldn't believe it when I saw people dismissing this formation as defensive it's extremely progressive and when combined with a technical, passing style of play, offensively is very free flowing and expressive. It's by far my favourite formation.
Arsenal and Real Madrid are probably the best examples of 4-2-3-1 used effectively

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To some posters everything at Wolves is $$$$ including the team's formation. Just another thing to moan about.
I suppose a strict 4-5-1 can be set up defensively but ours is most certainly not.

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I like 4-4-2 and it is serving man city ok!!

Pengwern

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Scolari, the Portuguese manager, patented this system and I argued for it for Wolves to adopt years ago, so I am glad we finally have a manager who wants it. Its flexibility is unique, but it does rely on a mobile, skilfull, target man up front, like Paulino was. McAlinden will soon become that man, I hope, and if we sign Scougall, we'll have the three talents behind who can interchange and cause havoc like Chelsea's do. The playmaker and someone else who can pass simply and tackle are the midfield two and we have McD + Price / Edwards / Evans for that.

That's why I think this manager is the one who can take us as high as this club can go (5th in the Premier League, until it is reformed and doesn't just depend on money).

ProudWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Although it was a 4-1-4-1 yesterday, I agree that the 4-2-3-1 is a very positive system with the right players

Manic88

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I imagine some on molineux mix still pine for the WM formation. Forget those Hungarian "foreigners" humiliating the national team, it was fine!!!

D

Deleted member 3604

Didn't the Dutch invent total football ?

Eleven footballers defending and eleven attacking?

WonderWolf

WoWoWoobsykins
Reaction score
It isn't defensive at all.

The key is mobility and pace in the forward four.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is the right formation. We just need a striker now and maybe another midfield player and this formation is the way to go.

TeddyWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I don't know about formations, but the whole team worked bloody hard yesterday.

On the rare occasion Preston broke, our midfield was getting back much faster than their midfield was getting forward.

Last edited by a moderator:

bod101

Admin & No.4
Reaction score
Any formation can be attacking or defensive its how the team is set up to play.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
1 up front needs a guy to hold up the ball to bring others into the game. LG is just too lightweight, KD can do this but you need your striker to at least get 15 goals a season, Cassidy is cack, Siggy's on his way somewhere, which leaves Mc and who knows how good he is? For this level a CI type striker, big, quite mobile, tricky is the type of man we need imo.

TeddyWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I think LG is good enough to play that role, but think he'll end up burning out like Doyle. Too much wear and tear on a smallish lone striker.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Dewsburywolf

Traditional 4 2 3 1 formations also don`t use wingers as such but rather wide midfielders with the full backs meant to provide the width. It also means that one of the two deep lying midfielders cover for the marauding full back rather than the wide midfielder (Sako for example) having to track back

E

Edgmond Wolf

1 up front needs a guy to hold up the ball to bring others into the game. LG is just too lightweight, KD can do this but you need your striker to at least get 15 goals a season, Cassidy is cack, Siggy's on his way somewhere, which leaves Mc and who knows how good he is? For this level a CI type striker, big, quite mobile, tricky is the type of man we need imo.

You mean like that big chap in Barcelona team..........

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What position do you think Silva plays in?

Go on then so dzeko and negredo aren't a conventional front two?? I'm sorry but anyone arguing they aren't really is talking rubbish, city play 4-4-2 I know it's not fashionable but it works

Plastic Shrapnel

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The joy of the 4-2-3-1 tactic is the simple fact it is both defensive and attacking

It can become 4-5-1 while on the back foot, and it can become 4-2-4 on the front foot. It can be played narrowly through the middle at times, it can be played with the wider men of the 3 becoming wingers. It also brings fullbacks into the attacking game easily, as the middle two can float over to support their role.

Hansen's analysis of Chelsea on MOTD the other day truly shows the greatness of the tactic whilst attacking.

It's the most fluid tactic out there along with 3-2-3-2 (Juve)

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think McAlinden could be very good in this formation. He is a very intelligent footballer.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The joy of the 4-2-3-1 tactic is the simple fact it is both defensive and attacking

It can become 4-5-1 while on the back foot, and it can become 4-2-4 on the front foot. It can be played narrowly through the middle at times, it can be played with the wider men of the 3 becoming wingers. It also brings fullbacks into the attacking game easily, as the middle two can float over to support their role.

Hansen's analysis of Chelsea on MOTD the other day truly shows the greatness of the tactic whilst attacking.

It's the most fluid tactic out there along with 3-2-3-2 (Juve)
What City play so well and Chelsea do at times is the whole team moving forward when attacking and the whole team moving back when defending. It's like watching the waves in the sea - constant forward and backward movement. When it works it is a most wonderful sight and for me football at its most perfect. There's a harmony between all the players on the pitch and the football becomes almost simple in the way its played. It's the way ahead for the top sides but for the likes of Wolves we can but dream.

E

Edgmond Wolf

What City play so well and Chelsea do at times is the whole team moving forward when attacking and the whole team moving back when defending. It's like watching the waves in the sea - constant forward and backward movement. When it works it is a most wonderful sight and for me football at its most perfect. There's a harmony between all the players on the pitch and the football becomes almost simple in the way its played. It's the way ahead for the top sides but for the likes of Wolves we can but dream.

We did it yesterday

We played really well, the best i have seen for a while. The system, the movement, the passing, it was great

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Any formation can be attacking or defensive its how the team is set up to play.

Exactly, and how high up the park you defend, quality of possession, work rate etc make all the difference. Some formations making passing easier, usually those with odd numbers in midfield as it makes it easier to move the balls in triangles

Summer_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agree completely. Sick of the dinosaur old school 4-4-2 served up by Mick almost every game (barring when he played the irish duffer on his own up top). Play it on the odd occasion but not most weeks. We need to modernise our style while we're in this league so we improve on it if we go up. Having said that, the 1 up top needs to be able to play that role, none of the strikers we currently have at the club can do this.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Guys......get 'Inverting the pyramid' good read

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Diego Costa and David Villa are not too shabby as a front 2 as well but hey they've only broken the galcticos seemingly unbreakable dominance

Huyton W88lvo

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
We have to be comfortable and able to switch systems during games as we did at Tranmere (although this was forced).Against the very weak teams in this division I am positive we have the players to go 3-5-2.
I did enjoy the 4-1-4-1 yesterday though

welshy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think people love a good old moan and as soon as they see the lineup and see one of either Doyle, Griff, Cassidy or Sig then they cry its a defensive 4-5-1 and kenny is setting up not to lose as to setting up to win.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We have to be comfortable and able to switch systems during games as we did at Tranmere (although this was forced).Against the very weak teams in this division I am positive we have the players to go 3-5-2.
I did enjoy the 4-1-4-1 yesterday though
Surely with the level of the opposition most weeks in Div 3 we could go 235 and still get a result?!

JuliusCaesar

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
If all the best sides in the world play 4-2-3-1, what happens when they play each other? Does a formation score goals or is it the side with the better players on the day that wins? So, so much absolute nonsense spoken about formations when in reality the formation changes all the time depending on the phase of play at the time. Lining up with two strikers doesn't suddenly mean the manager is more attacking and lining up with one striker doesn't mean he's being defensive. If Wolves play Man City and they both use the same formation who is likely to win? Man City, most times. And if Man City play 4-4-2 and Wolves play 4-2-3-1, does that change the odds? Players win games, not systems.

Back
Top Bottom