Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

4-4-***ing-2

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well maybe not 4-4-2 but my god we looked good today playing 4 atb.

Perhaps something to try against Norwich?

RMNottm

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agree nothing tk play for so try it out

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Four at the back has to be the way to go. Wouldnt mind seeing an attack of Chiquinho, Neto, Trincao behind Raul against Man City. Just attack the ****ers. They have played a lot of games recently and play tomorrow.

Raul looked alive when he had more support. The 5 at the back is holding our attacking players back and that seems obvious to me after what happened today when we went 4 at the back. Trincao looked a different player as well.

Sack off 5/ 3 at the back whatever it is.

djmikeydickens

Reaction score
Just said similar on the Matchday thread. Have to try it against Norwich.

Sa
Jonny, Coady/Mosquera, Boly/Mosquera, RAN
Neves, Moutinho
Chiquinho, Trincao, Neto
Raul/Fabio

I concur. Have a bloody go and start prepping for next season.

greenwolf1301

Reaction score
I don't know what formation it was at then end but chiquinho was rb but I don't think Jonny had a clue where he was supposed to be playing

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just said similar on the Matchday thread. Have to try it against Norwich.

Sa
Jonny, Coady/Mosquera, Boly/Mosquera, RAN
Neves, Moutinho
Chiquinho, Trincao, Neto
Raul/Fabio
What do you mean by the matchday thread. I can't find it nor have I found a Comms thread for about 3 weeks please.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was having Jonny down as a right centre-back, Chiquinho RWB but it was obviously all-out attack.

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It was four at the back and I am sorry to use caps BUT WE HAD BODIES IN DANGEROUS POSITIONS AND ACTUALLY PLAYED FORWARD PASSES.

Forward passes needed treble caps in that sentence

I am not naive enough to suggest 4 at the back made the difference. But it was that, the confidence of the first goal that set us off. We could see in front of us we actually have good footballers. I mean ffs even Dendoncker looked good in that final 20. That is easily the best 20mins since the first 3 matches.

Bruno, mate, play to your instincts.

marrs-guitar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't think you can draw much from the formation played in the closing moments of a match in which you are behind in. It's just get players into dangerous areas, get the ball into them and hope that something drops for you.

We actually created some very good opportunities beforehand, using the starting formation and team, considering that we were away against the reigning European champions. Poor/rash finishing is all that prevented us from taking the lead several times.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
5 at the back has served is extremely well but I agree that it hampers us at times too. I'd just be up for a bit of something different

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m trying not get carried away with the game. It was the momentum change as much as the formation change that got us a point.

Yeah, well, I think it was as much an attitude change, too. The same players who have slowed us down for several years , did exactly the same today. Several times - due to Chelsea high press - the ball was played through to a forward/midfielder with yards of space behind them, but instead of turning, they pinged it back. Been doing it for years, it infuriates me!

Then, at one point, the camera panned out with CHelsea attacking and there's our 3 forwards just inside our half and all 8 other players around or in our penalty area. Effectively a 7-0-3. Again, seen it so many times. And it rarely coincides with our best performances. Though TBF, it is how we play when in "stay in the game mode" and , just like today, after mostly struggling, we ended up snatching something. I assume that was the plan? As it always was when we play the top teams.

I just think it so deeply ingrained in our "old hands" to slow the game down, instantly turn back and look to get the ball backwards.

Also, similar to the Villa game, the opponents had a defence that looked shaky from the start, so you have the sense they can be got at. Even when a goal or two in the lead. Not all opponents are going to be that generous. West Ham's defence, the other week, for example, looked totally nonplussed by anything we did attack wise.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
How do I find my ignore list please.
Was there a Comms thread today.
Click on your image at the top to the right of the MolMix one. Look down to privacy and you'll see 'ignoring'. I never put anyone on ignore deliberately but quite often do accidentally.

Hope you can see this!

S G Wolves

Bad lover
Reaction score
It was still 5 at the back. Johnny was playing as the 3rd centre back when Saiss went off.

It's not the formation but the intent to attack, press and move the ball forward quickly, which we did in the last 20 mins.

Obviously Chiquinio and Trincoa attacking helped. I think I might have even seen Donk play a ball forward or that may just have been a dream :)

Taffywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm not against 4 at the back but my concern is our squad is made up of players suited to 5 at the back. Can they adapt? I hope so.. But yes go with it for the rest of the season, why not.

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It has to be a back four going forward surely??

The downside is watching the foot rush between Werner and Coady :eek:…. Proves Conor can never play in a four!

That’s the nettle that had to be grasped I’m afraid.

Back
Top Bottom