Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

3 or 4 at the back?

Munro Munro

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am not sure 4 at the back is the way to go and is the answer to our attacking options . I find it pretty limited and especially exposes our attacking full backs. I certainly think Johnny does not suit the system he is asked to defend and attack without the support from behind when caught up the pitch.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
The three at the back was done. We’d stopped using it as a formation to beat teams and it had just become a system to try and stop us losing. It’s gonna take more than 2 games for the system to properly sink in though so have a bit of patience.

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Clearly still a WIP.

Jonny was poor yesterday and we had limited width going forward (other than RAN’s cross for MGW to blaze over).

As I see it the FBs should be providing more width giving the inside forwards chance to move inside and fill the box plus play some clever passes.

Will be different with Semedo going forward. Defensively worrying (I agree) but let’s see how it looks post transfer window with the midfield dropping in and CBs pulling wide when the FBs attack.

Some risks of being torn apart next week and against big sides and not yet got the energy to create the overlaps to give us the opps we are seeking.

A 4-3-3 will also provide more solidity when we have the personality to play it.

Not 100% convinced yet but let’s see.

Mr Sizzle

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Have to be honest and say it wasn’t always that evident to me on Saturday that we were always playing 4. Maybe too used to seeing a very rigid 3/5 for too many seasons..

Bugsy911

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We needed more players to change the system, I'm not sure either full back are good enough defensively for a 4 and desperately short of legs in midfield to help cover either ends of the pitch.

Going to be tough woth either systems without new signings as when reverting to a 5 I'd have 100% kept Coady regardless of his outburst.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Clearly still a WIP.

Jonny was poor yesterday and we had limited width going forward (other than RAN’s cross for MGW to blaze over).

Defensively, I thought Jonny was fine. In contrast to RAN, Jonny showed good positioning, made some tackles, cut out crosses. Though he did offer little going forward. But as we were playing 4 forwards...maybe that was their job?

I'd seriously consider moving Jonny back to the left and starting Semedo on the right, providing he's fit enough. Probably overreacting, but RAN has looked so lacksadasical these past 2 matches, if we get similar at Spurs, I'd consider putting Bueno in there for Newcastle & Bournemouth ! He's not got the quality of RAN, but will put in 120% effort and will remain focussed, not lose concentration.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Defensively, I thought Jonny was fine. In contrast to RAN, Jonny showed good positioning, made some tackles, cut out crosses. Though he did offer little going forward. But as we were playing 4 forwards...maybe that was their job?

I'd seriously consider moving Jonny back to the left and starting Semedo on the right, providing he's fit enough. Probably overreacting, but RAN has looked so lacksadasical these past 2 matches, if we get similar at Spurs, I'd consider putting Bueno in there for Newcastle & Bournemouth ! He's not got the quality of RAN, but will put in 120% effort and will remain focussed, not lose concentration.
I agree.

RAN has it all in his locker but he's made 3 mistakes this season (maybe the OG is harsh)

Semedo is a big miss.

Dan W

Groupie
Reaction score
The back 3 served its purpose. The change to a 4 is needed to get more out of our attacking players. We won't see the best out of this new system until we sign a ST who can bring the attackers into play and to attack balls into the box. Ajorque at Strasbourg is the perfect signing IMO. We also need a CM who is good at carrying the ball. We don't have enough variety in midfield.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The defence is the least of our problems tbh. With Neves sitting deep we have no one to create for us. Lage wants Sa to play out from the back, as do most teams, but there are very few options hence we saw a lot of Collins to Kilman and back again yesterday, just like the Coady to Boly to Saiss of days gone by. Let's not fret about the defence too much but focus on further up the pitch.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The three at the back was done. We’d stopped using it as a formation to beat teams and it had just become a system to try and stop us losing. It’s gonna take more than 2 games for the system to properly sink in though so have a bit of patience.
This although I disagree around three at the back being done. I think the right players could still be advantageous but our players are too used to playing it safe.
As much as I hate Coady going it had to happen, and I forsee a season of pain

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree.

RAN has it all in his locker but he's made 3 mistakes this season (maybe the OG is harsh)

Semedo is a big miss.
I think RAN will go on to be a top player ... but, right now ... for us ... he needs to cut out these stupid errors. They’re costing us.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree.

Semedo is a big miss.

The og blame is very harsh. Overall he hasn't been bad but people remember the errors mostly. A work in progress for us right now with a four but now Coady has gone it would seem daft to revert to a five.

Wolf in Kenilworth

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am not sure 4 at the back is the way to go and is the answer to our attacking options . I find it pretty limited and especially exposes our attacking full backs. I certainly think Johnny does not suit the system he is asked to defend and attack without the support from behind when caught up the pitch.

If we go back to a back central 3 after allowing Coady to leave then Lage, Sellars and everybody else can close the door on their way out.

The issues we have are not there, we all know where they are. If they’re not addressed PDQ then Lage, Sellars and everybody else can close the door on their way out.

Munro Munro

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My opinion has nothing to do with Coady going and the Nuno glory days, look at Spurs and Chelsea today both in fluid systems. For me the three at the back releases more players forward in better positions we just needed to get better players in to play it , easier said than done

Derbywolf85

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Far too soon to judge and I don’t think we’ll be going back any time soon.

Yesterday we were missing a striker in the final 3rd and to link the play and help move the ball around.

Once we sign that striker or Raul is fit again it’ll look completely different, even more so when/if we sign that mobile midfielder we’ve needed since about 1996.

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not sure yesterday was the right game to judge the full backs in a 4. They were never going to be able to bomb up and down in that heat

Berkswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree with the last couple of posters. Much too early to judge, give things a chance to settle and players get used to the new system.

UEAwolf

Reaction score
It shouldn't even be a question now we've gotten rid of Coady. It needs to be given time to bed in - that said both Jonny and Ait-Nouri seem to be all over the place in a back 4.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Far too soon to judge and I don’t think we’ll be going back any time soon.

Yesterday we were missing a striker in the final 3rd and to link the play and help move the ball around.

Once we sign that striker or Raul is fit again it’ll look completely different, even more so when/if we sign that mobile midfielder we’ve needed since about 1996.
I think too many of us, and I hope not the Club, are pinning too much faith on Jimenez. He's been a great servant but I really think his best days for us are behind him. If we don't get a 15 goal a season striker in (not sure Guedes is an out and out striker tbh) waiting for Jimenez, we will not score the goals we need. The defence is not the issue, never has been.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We will need new additions to help with our transition to 4 at the back. Lets hope we get them over the next two weeks.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm fearful reverting to a four won't solve anything.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm being patient. I just fear that it will become apparent midfield was where we needed strengthening and not a change of formation.

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I felt their no. 7 had the beating of Jonny and he offered little going forward. RAN defensively has a foul in him and has the risk of a step over (Vinagre) too far and then turning back not crossing it.

Having said that Whoscored had Jonny as our second best player so what do I know!!

For me Semedo as RB when fit is a must. I’m 50/50 whether Jonny or RAN as LB but I am a little worried that if this position is bombing on and we need to change both players each game then we may need more cover.

Here’s Whoscored stats - happy to admit I’m wrong - footie is of course great because of different perspectives.

1660499778100.png

Derbywolf85

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think too many of us, and I hope not the Club, are pinning too much faith on Jimenez. He's been a great servant but I really think his best days for us are behind him. If we don't get a 15 goal a season striker in (not sure Guedes is an out and out striker tbh) waiting for Jimenez, we will not score the goals we need. The defence is not the issue, never has been.

I agree. Personally would love us to sign a couple of strikers and a couple of CMs to make up the 4 Bruno mentioned.

Real competition for places and something different in all of them, preferably.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
4 is quite clearly the way forward. So much more attacking intent and options that will put you on the front foot

5 is still needed in certain games or sections of games . Look at conte today.

Next week is a good example to play 5 as spurs haven’t coped with it when we’ve played them away the last 3 times (covid excluded)

Tezla

Reaction score
4 at the back for me. 3 only works with exceptional attacking talent which I don't feel we have

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Frankly embarrassing, two years of moaning about 5 at the back and two games (both of which we should have won) into the new season and some people want it back.

Having said that we could always try it out next week ;)

Tezla

Reaction score
Frankly embarrassing, two years of moaning about 5 at the back and two games (both of which we should have won) into the new season and some people want it back.

I have been a big advocate for the back 4 but wouldn't mind it being used occasionally against the likes of city, Liverpool etc

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I felt their no. 7 had the beating of Jonny and he offered little going forward. RAN defensively has a foul in him and has the risk of a step over (Vinagre) too far and then turning back not crossing it.

Having said that Whoscored had Jonny as our second best player so what do I know!!

For me Semedo as RB when fit is a must. I’m 50/50 whether Jonny or RAN as LB but I am a little worried that if this position is bombing on and we need to change both players each game then we may need more cover.

Here’s Whoscored stats - happy to admit I’m wrong - footie is of course great because of different perspectives.

That Jonny won 3 "aerials" is surprising!

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

5 isn't enough. 6 sounds more like it. 4 centre halves, 2 full backs either side. 3 defensive midfielders sitting in front (Hopefully Moutinho is back). 2 players allowed to cross the half way line, but only 1 allowed in Spurs penalty area at any one time. I hope I've not given Bruno's secret plan away.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Scoring is the primary reason for playing football , you can play any formation you like.
Scoring is a mindset. It transcends playing "attractive " "attacking " or "defensive" football.
Not one of our current frontline players or midfielders seem to go for the jugular at anytime .
Who puts on that shirt and says - its my responsibility to score today ?

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Scoring is the primary reason for playing football , you can play any formation you like.
Scoring is a mindset. It transcends playing "attractive " "attacking " or "defensive" football.
Not one of our current frontline players or midfielders seem to go for the jugular at anytime .
Who puts on that shirt and says - its my responsibility to score today ?
I tend to agree with this. 4 at the back, 5 at the back, 6 at the back will make no difference to us at present. We need that man to get the ball to in the area. We just don't have him now and Guedes on half an hours viewing did not not look like an out and out striker. I know we all laughed at the prospect of Keiffer Moore but we need a Danny Ings, Callum Wilson type striker who all they do is sit in the box and put the ball away. Is that Blackburn guy still off the radar? Lage's attention needs to be at the front not the back.

Back
Top Bottom