Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

24 years ago today....

WV10Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEgaZa_FRi8"]Wolves winning the Sherpa Van Trophy 1988 - YouTube[/nomedia]

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Superb. My second trip to Wembley as an 8 year old after watching us in the Mercantile Trophy.

Amazing that we took 50,000 fans as a fourth division club. And what a free-kick by Robbie Dennison.

S

SimplyTheWolves

I still can't believe I couldn't get a ticket, I kept ringing and ringing for days on end and nothing but an engaged tone. I heard somewhere we had thousands and thousands of calls for tickets, and it was only the Sherpa van trophy. I say only but it felt like winning the cup itself, and more importantly our great club was on the way back.

A

andyc225

I wasn't born unfortunately. Watching it on tape brings a tear to the eye though.

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is equal to Cardiff for me. It was a real "Wolves are back" statement. Great, great day. How many did we actually take to wembley that day?

B

bully 1967

15 of us went down in a ford transit stopping off 3 times for more beer, after the game went back up the m1 to where it meets the A5 had a pint in every pub until we got back home to lichfield . what a day / yr those were the days my friends:D:D:D

WV10Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was 3 coming 4 when we won this, so a tad too young to go. My dad, uncle and grandad all went. I do seem to remember being taken to see the open top bus parade though. When I stayed at my grandparents as a kid, I use to insist my grandad put the VHS on.

greco wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
a great day out - I was about 18 and remember it well - what a massive crowd (83,000) and wembley held 100,000 back then

If I remember a scrappy game but enjoyed both goals

a true final of two sleeping giants

greco wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
what a team:
1) Mark Kendall
2) Gary Bellamy
3) Andy Thompson
4) Floyd Streete
5) Ally Robertson (Captain)
6) Phil Robinson
7) Robbie Dennison
8) Keith Downing
9) Steve Bull
10) Andy Mutch
11) Mick Holmes

derbyrameater

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I still can't believe I couldn't get a ticket, I kept ringing and ringing for days on end and nothing but an engaged tone. I heard somewhere we had thousands and thousands of calls for tickets, and it was only the Sherpa van trophy. I say only but it felt like winning the cup itself, and more importantly our great club was on the way back.

I managed to get in without a ticket, woo hoo as did loads more must have, as the upper pens were crammed and I`ve been to wembley games where it was a capacity sell out but were not as cramped, and there was a chant sung with a bounce and you could feel the upper tier moving ( I know they are designed to be flexible for just such an occurrence ) quite a lot.
Wolves even had a few pens up the Burnley end IIRC.

A great day.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chungster

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I managed to get in without a ticket, woo hoo as did loads more must have, as the upper pens were crammed and I`ve been to wembley games where it was a capacity sell out but were not as cramped, and there was a chant sung with a bounce and you could feel the upper tier moving ( I know they are designed to be flexible for just such an occurrence ) quite a lot.

A great day.

The 'bouncy' chant was 'Knees Up Mother Brown'.

S

SimplyTheWolves

A great day.

Pack it in big head! :D

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
I have the story of my day on the memories thread, can remember every moment. What a day, I shed a tear in the last few minutes, after what we had been through this was a real emotional day.

Unbelievable that the equivalent of 1 in 5 of the population of the town went, must have been deserted back home.

Got back at c4.30am after a great adventure, ranks as my best away day ever!

Sent from my brain using some software or other...

R

reanswolf

Depending onwhich Express & Star report you read we took either 46 or 48000.

Burnley reports claimed they sold 26000 or 31000 at their end depending on which report you believed, so about 50000 Wolves fans would be right. If i recall correctly, the Wolves terraces at Wembley were closed at about 2.45pm, or am i imagining this. All the seats in the Wolves half of Wembley were sold out. There were sections of a few hundred Wolves in the Burnley seats, and they even had to create a block for a couple of thousand Wolves fans in the Burnley end terrace. The capacity was about 100,000 in those days so by my simple reckoning half of Wembley is 50,000.:embarassed:

A great day out only dampened by Bully not scoring. Bit like Alex Rae not coming on at Cardiff.

T

Tettenhall Wolf

What a day.

My only visit to Wembley, so I got a 100% record ;-).

Got to go with my Dad and my Grandad.

3 generations of Wolves fans. Never forget that.

M

Mugwump

Great day. Went down with the Cannock Wolves ( what an experience that was! ) and is still one of my favorite games ever. Got my " Beware Of The Bull " cap that day, complete with horns!

F

FLEET WOLF

Remember it well-incredibly I managed to park very close to the ground.

Big Nosed Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was just quietly relieved that the club was back in some sort of shape
after the turmoil of the previous five or six years. I didn't go to this one.

I had just returned from a footballing tour of Holland and Germany with my teenage son.

Although it was good to see I was still looking forward to when the club was once more back in the top flight again on a regular basis.I still am looking forward to it, twenty four years later.

I have used this quotation before but it is relevant here I think.

'When we turned into the town and into Queen's Square we could not believe it.......It was then that we all grasped just how important Wolverhampton Wanderers FC is to Wolverhampton'

Graham Turner speaking about the open bus tour after the final.

Berlin Wolf

Supporters Clubs Empresario
Reaction score
This is equal to Cardiff for me. It was a real "Wolves are back" statement. Great, great day. How many did we actually take to wembley that day?

I believe Wolves sold out of their 46,000 ticket allocation, and apparently sold about 4,000 tickets in a block at the Burnley end to make up our fantastic 50,000 following.

I remember seeing a block of Wolves fans in the Burnley end and wondering how they got in there.

When the teams came out it was like wow this is on a par with a World Cup Final. What with all the colour and massive attendance.

From Wiki: The record attendance for the final is 80,841, for the 1988 Final match between Wolverhampton Wanderers and Burnley at Wembley.

Credit to Burnley for selling 30,000 tickets and creating a great atmosphere too.

Vietnam Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My car broke down and I had to get a mincab to Wembley [from Surrey not Wolvo].

Huge day but not so exciting as the 1980 LC win - the result was never really in any doubt right ?

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
I believe Wolves sold out of their 46,000 ticket allocation, and apparently sold about 4,000 tickets in a block at the Burnley end to make up our fantastic 50,000 following.

I remember seeing a block of Wolves fans in the Burnley end and wondering how they got in there.

When the teams came out it was like wow this is on a par with a World Cup Final. What with all the colour and massive attendance.

From Wiki: The record attendance for the final is 80,841, for the 1988 Final match between Wolverhampton Wanderers and Burnley at Wembley.

Credit to Burnley for selling 30,000 tickets and creating a great atmosphere too.

Maybe it's my memory playing tricks on me but wasn't the attendance bigger than the FA Cup Final that year?

Vietnam Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maybe it's my memory playing tricks on me but wasn't the attendance bigger than the FA Cup Final that year?

Yes - I think Wembley's capacity was reduced immediately after for some technical reason. I remember thinking at the time that this will forever be the largest attendance for X years forever [if that makes sense].

And then they built New Wembley - DOH

W

Woffles

Yes - I think Wembley's capacity was reduced immediately after for some technical reason. I remember thinking at the time that this will forever be the largest attendance for X years forever [if that makes sense].

Seem to have some vague memory of it being the last match before they put seats into the top sections of terracing behind the goals.

W

Woffles

Slightly off topic but my mate keeps telling me that Wolves have got a 100% win record at Wembley - cup competitions etc. Can anyone clarify this?

We certainly lost there in the 1939 Cup Final

And on penalties to Everton in that weird Centenary tournament - the one with about 16 teams and 40 minute matches - same year as the Sherpa Van win

R

reanswolf

At the time we got 80000 at Wembley, an England game (probably a friendly) only attracted 20000.

I can remember a national paper headline stating "80000 for the Wolves, 20000 for England", to emphasise how little interest there was in the latter match.

Sheriff Woody

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

And yet some people think that finals for lower leagues shouldn't be played at Wembley!

cobweb

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You're not used to being disagreed with, are you woody?

Vietnam Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Slightly off topic but my mate keeps telling me that Wolves have got a 100% win record at Wembley - cup competitions etc. Can anyone clarify this?

We lost to Everton in the Mercantile Credit Centenary Celebration the year before the Sherpa

W

Woffles

We lost to Everton in the Mercantile Credit Centenary Celebration the year before the Sherpa

Same season! I only remember this because we spent a couple of months singing

Tell me ma me ma,
to put the Champagne on ice,
we're going to Wembley twice,
tell me ma me ma

Also remember that Robbie Dennison scored from about 40 yards that day.

Linwolf

Reaction score
Great day, still got my ticket stub, £5, how times have changed. Pint of mild and a cooked breakfast in the local before the off.

derbyrameater

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Depending onwhich Express & Star report you read we took either 46 or 48000.

Burnley reports claimed they sold 26000 or 31000 at their end depending on which report you believed, so about 50000 Wolves fans would be right. If i recall correctly, the Wolves terraces at Wembley were closed at about 2.45pm, or am i imagining this. All the seats in the Wolves half of Wembley were sold out. There were sections of a few hundred Wolves in the Burnley seats, and they even had to create a block for a couple of thousand Wolves fans in the Burnley end terrace. The capacity was about 100,000 in those days so by my simple reckoning half of Wembley is 50,000.:embarassed:

A great day out only dampened by Bully not scoring. Bit like Alex Rae not coming on at Cardiff.

You have confirmed how I remember it.

O.W.E.I

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Same season! I only remember this because we spent a couple of months singing

Tell me ma me ma,
to put the Champagne on ice,
we're going to Wembley twice,
tell me ma me ma

Also remember that Robbie Dennison scored from about 40 yards that day.

Yep, spot on.

Back
Top Bottom