Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

1st Non UK ref in the Premier League

SmokeyGB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

It's official!

Jarred Gillett is set to become first overseas referee in Premier League history, as he takes charge of Watford Newcastle on Saturday!

You may recognise him from a certain fascinating clip during his time in the A-League...

Not sure if you have Facebook but BT Sport put a link up of a Non UK ref doing a PL match today.

Watching the clip with the Ref mic up was great to listen too.
Players had so much respect to him,
This is how every game should be, that fans on TV can hearvthe ref and those doing VAR.

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score

It's official!

Jarred Gillett is set to become first overseas referee in Premier League history, as he takes charge of Watford Newcastle on Saturday!

You may recognise him from a certain fascinating clip during his time in the A-League...

Not sure if you have Facebook but BT Sport put a link up of a Non UK ref doing a PL match today.

This is how every game should be, that fans on TV can hearvthe ref and those doing VAR.
Nice video, seems like a good referee. Hope he does well with the egos in the Premier League. Would be great if they would allow TV viewers to hear the conversation between VAR and the referee in the here, like in other sports.

Just a small note, the first overseas non UK referee in the Premier League was Ireland's Dermot Gallagher, but I get general gist!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 7041

The ref being milked up was great, but you couldn't do that live at the match. Sub titles on the scoreboard may be a way round it

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

It's official!

That mic audio is brilliant. We should have that made available to clubs and tv coverage.

RMNottm

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

It's official!

Absolutely agree, outstanding, how long before he is dragged down to EPL level

GY Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

It's official!

I remember that, was hoping he'd make it to the prem since that. Good luck to him

DasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Gillett can bring the same authority and humility as he did in the clip that's been around for a while, he'll do well.

You can see not only the respect he gets from the players, but also the respect he shows them in turn by explaining his decisions (imagine Mike Dean explaining why he did something).

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Gillett can bring the same authority and humility as he did in the clip that's been around for a while, he'll do well.

You can see not only the respect he gets from the players, but also the respect he shows them in turn by explaining his decisions (imagine Mike Dean explaining why he did something).
Mike Dean and explain in the same sentence ?

Aylesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I doubt Mr Dean would want to explain to anyone that his decisions were down to sheer incompetence. Mind you, the same could be said for many of his PL refereeing colleagues.

John de Wolf's hairdryer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Astonishing that PGMOL has been able/allowed to keep EPL reffing a Brits-only affair for as long as it has. Given the paucity of real quality refs in the English game these days it's also an absolute disgrace and verging on a bit fishy. How come when multi-national workplaces have become so commonplace in the UK over the last 20 years that PGMOL have been in a position to recruit only native referees? It's not as though those they've been recruiting are the absolute crème de la crème of world refereeing is it?

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
Astonishing that PGMOL has been able/allowed to keep EPL reffing a Brits-only affair for as long as it has. Given the paucity of real quality refs in the English game these days it's also an absolute disgrace and verging on a bit fishy. How come when multi-national workplaces have become so commonplace in the UK over the last 20 years that PGMOL have been in a position to recruit only native referees? It's not as though those they've been recruiting are the absolute crème de la crème of world refereeing is it?
British exceptionalism, some still think we're the best at everything like the good old days of the empire. Runs through many areas of British society. That said, I'm not sure there are many top football nations that have foreign referees in their domestic leagues? Not sure about that, but happy to be corrected.

As for the Aussie ref, watched most of the Watford v Newcastle game and I thought he did okay. He did look a little shell shocked at the reaction of the players and crowd at some decisions he made (there were a few chants of "You don't know what you're doing."). Should have sent off Newcastle's Manquillo. He was on a yellow and did another foul that deserved a yellow, and then when the free kick was awarded against him, he belted the ball away. Commentators were flabbergasted he wasn't given a second booking. Think he bottled sending someone off in his first game. Miles better than Dean et al. though. New blood from abroad should be good, they won't be on matey first name terms with the big players and be so aware of who they should and shouldn't upset.

Sammy Chungs Tracksuit

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
British exceptionalism, some still think we're the best at everything like the good old days of the empire. Runs through many areas of British society. That said, I'm not sure there are many top football nations that have foreign referees in their domestic leagues? Not sure about that, but happy to be corrected.

As for the Aussie ref, watched most of the Watford v Newcastle game and I thought he did okay. He did look a little shell shocked at the reaction of the players and crowd at some decisions he made (there were a few chants of "You don't know what you're doing."). Should have sent off Newcastle's Manquillo. He was on a yellow and did another foul that deserved a yellow, and then when the free kick was awarded against him, he belted the ball away. Commentators were flabbergasted he wasn't given a second booking. Think he bottled sending someone off in his first game. Miles better than Dean et al. though. New blood from abroad should be good, they won't be on matey first name terms with the big players and be so aware of who they should and shouldn't upset.
Rubbish, nothing to do with British exceptionalism, its just a bunch of complete ******s in PGMOL have been give carte blanche to do whatever they like without any actual scrutiny or accountability. PGMOL mainly elevate like minded idiots to their ranks and any fair minded talented ref would be given a wide berth. Lets hope this aussie ref is a breath of fresh air. Back in the days of Empire "fair play" was deemed important. PGMOL do not seem to share that view.

PGMOL hide behind the fact that reffing is a bloody tough job out there in sunday league giving the premier refs a half decent excuse to avoid interviews about their decisions and their inconsistency. Fact is that amateur and non academy youth football and elite football are worlds apart. Elite rugby reffing does not seem to suffer from heightened exposure in comparison with amateur rugby - quite the opposite.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Interesting - I watched about 30 mins of that match and can't remember anything about the ref. Isn't that how it's supposed to be? Watford had a late goal disallowed, but it was not controversial, looked clearly the correct decision. Now can we send Dean to the North Korean league?

<EDIT> Must have missed the bottled sending off in that Watford game. Overall, though, I'd rather refs err on the side of caution and a bottled sending off than sending someone off for nothing and giving soft penalties to make your mark on the game,

Watfordfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Our fans didn’t think much of him and he did produce a lot of cards early on before letting a lot go.

Allowed a lot of time wasting but then they all seem to do nothing about it as you guys found out last week.

Aylesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's the living embodiment of the narcissism and rampant egotism of the English Premier League, the Sky Six and Mike Riley's PGMOL. He sums up in one individual everything that is dreadful, smug and crooked about all three entities.
Other than that you quite admire him though? :)

JohnMatrix

Groupie
Reaction score
Jesus wept, as if someone thinks he's better than Mike Dean on the basis of a youtube video. The pace of the game is slower than a Tony Pulis Vs Big Sam special. Easy to get decisions right when the speeds the equivalent of a VW SDI engines 0 to 60. Despite his criticisms Dean's regarded as one of the best prem ref's ever and to say someone with experience equivalent to the evostik south is better than him is completely moronic.

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jesus wept, as if someone thinks he's better than Mike Dean on the basis of a youtube video. The pace of the game is slower than a Tony Pulis Vs Big Sam special. Easy to get decisions right when the speeds the equivalent of a VW SDI engines 0 to 60. Despite his criticisms Dean's regarded as one of the best prem ref's ever and to say someone with experience equivalent to the evostik south is better than him is completely moronic.
I think you've misunderstood. He has been refereeing in England since 2019, this is his first Premier League game.

JohnMatrix

Groupie
Reaction score
I think you've misunderstood. He has been refereeing in England since 2019, this is his first Premier League game.
I didn't realise that but I stand by what I said. This guy isn't better than Mike Dean.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Rubbish, nothing to do with British exceptionalism, its just a bunch of complete ******s in PGMOL have been give carte blanche to do whatever they like without any actual scrutiny or accountability. PGMOL mainly elevate like minded idiots to their ranks and any fair minded talented ref would be given a wide berth. Lets hope this aussie ref is a breath of fresh air. Back in the days of Empire "fair play" was deemed important. PGMOL do not seem to share that view.

PGMOL hide behind the fact that reffing is a bloody tough job out there in sunday league giving the premier refs a half decent excuse to avoid interviews about their decisions and their inconsistency. Fact is that amateur and non academy youth football and elite football are worlds apart. Elite rugby reffing does not seem to suffer from heightened exposure in comparison with amateur rugby - quite the opposite.
Fair play back in the days of the Empire. I've heard it all now.

Sammy Chungs Tracksuit

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fair play back in the days of the Empire. I've heard it all now.

As you Guardian readers would probably say "educate yourself". Fair play was very much a Georgian and Victorian ideal, and that period was very much a time of Empire.
International Fair Play Committee - History of Fair Play

Incidentaly the self righteous Guardian supported the Confederacy (and hence slavery) in the US Civil War almost 60 years after slavery was abolished by the UK. Just guessing you are a Guardian reader mind!

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

As you Guardian readers would probably say "educate yourself". Fair play was very much a Georgian and Victorian ideal, and that period was very much a time of Empire.
International Fair Play Committee - History of Fair Play

Incidentaly the self righteous Guardian supported the Confederacy (and hence slavery) in the US Civil War almost 60 years after slavery was abolished by the UK. Just guessing you are a Guardian reader mind!
Yeah, the famines in Ireland and India smack of fair play. As does the plundering of wealth, the massacres in India and the torture + war crimes in Kenya. The Daily Heil isn't great for your brain fella. Why would i read the Graun

Zico

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Assuming you're not on a wind up, regarded by whom??

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
By your logic Collina was crap as he never reffed in the PL. English exceptionalism writ large. Most PL refs have been utter ****e and Mike Dean has been one of the worst. If his ability was even half as big as his ego....

Last edited:

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
I am all for having experienced Referees but of the 22 PL Referees 6 are officiating in their 50’s.When I think back Referees used to be kicked off at 47 irrespective of how good they were

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am all for having experienced Referees but of the 22 PL Referees 6 are officiating in their 50’s.When I think back Referees used to be kicked off at 47 irrespective of how good they were
At the same time the game is faster than ever.

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I didn't realise that but I stand by what I said. This guy isn't better than Mike Dean.
You ok Mike?

Back
Top Bottom