Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Search results

1. N

Larry Lloyd passes away

Sadly another player who was in my Panini sticker albums of the 1970s has died. For those of us who were around at the time, that Forest centre back pairing of Larry Lloyd and Kenny Burns was one we all remember. What with those 2 in the centre back positions, Viv Anderson and Frank Clarke at...
  2. N

FA CUP Round SIX March 17th 1973 Wolves 2 Coventry 0

50,106 saw Wolves win 2-0 with goals from a Kenny Hibbitt penalty and John Richards. The side that day was Phil Parkes / Gerry Taylor / Derek Parkin / Bernard Shaw / Frank Munro / John McAlle / Jim McCalliog / Kenny Hibbitt / John Richards / Derek Dougan / Dave Wagstaffe. There is a wonderful...
  3. N

Matheus Cunha scores first top flight away hat-trick since 1964 !!!!!!

I have been following Wolves since 1972 and yesterday after Matheus's Magnificent Treble I began to think, do I recall any other Wolves player scoring a hat-trick in top flight away match in my 52 years as a fan. I have done some research and I cannot find anyone. The answer I have as the...
  4. N

If You Thought This Season's Start Was Dire, Try 1978/79 !!!!!!!!

I had a look at the 1978/79 campaign this week, there are more than a few similarities with this one that thankfully will soon become history. That season saw Wolves lose their first 3 games without scoring , with a 1-0 loss at Villa to start followed by the first home game being another 0-1...
  5. N

The Last Time Wolves Won 4 Home Games In A Row In The Top Tier !!!!!!!!

I was staggered to find it was in the second half of the 1974/75 season. I decided to look up the games and they were as follows. Saturday March 15th 1975 WOLVES 7 Chelsea 1 John Richards 2, Mike Bailey , Willie Carr , Kenny Hibbitt, Steve Kindon and Dave Wagstaffe...
  6. N

50 years ago on May 5th 1973 - Leeds 0 Sunderland 1

Lots of important things happened in 1973, the oil crisis, the 3 day week, American troops pulled out of Vietnam and of course those fine Wolverhampton lads Slade would later in the year have the Christmas number one !!!!! Yet for me as an 8 year old football fan, along with with millions of...
  7. N

BBC Radio 5 Decide " No Time For Classified Results "

I have just found out that another tradition is in the bin, the reading of the classified football results on Radio 5 at the start of sports report. Apparently since the BBC now have commentary on the 5.30 Premier League game there is not enough time according to them to fit them in. This is...
  8. N

The Day The Beautiful Game Died - Spain 1982 World Cup on July 5th in Barcelona

It was a Monday afternoon in Barcelona ( July 5th 1982 ) at about 5.00 pm GMT that as Graeme Souness so aptly described it " The beautiful game died ". I was 5 in 1970 so did not really have many memories of the magnificent Brazil side of Pele, Jairzinho, Rivelino and Tostao to name but 4. My...
  9. N

Manchester United are Rubbish on the BBC 24 News Ticker !!!!

Love the story that the BBC have had to apologise after someone was learning to use the news ticker that goes across the bottom of the screen on BBC News 24 and typed in " Manchester United are rubbish ". Wether some old veteran did a " stitch up " job on them I do not know but apparently the...
  10. N

Well Done Crystal Palace and their fans

On a weekend where some fan behaviour like the indefensible cretin at the Forest v Leicester has not covered the game in glory can I point out that virtually under the radar Crystal Palace subsidised the travel of some 4,700 Hartlepool fans for the 4th Round Cup tie this past Saturday. But even...
  11. N

41 years since Wolves last won 3 in a row at Molineux in the Top Tier !!!!!!

Apparently with yesterday's superb win over West Ham Wolves have won three consecutive home games in the top league for the first time since Sky reinvented football. Being an anorak I was curious as to who Wolves beat and when it was when John Barnwell ( there is a statement of how long ago it...
  12. N

Football Programmes Do you prefer immaculate or dog eared !

I recently picked up some old Wolves programmes from the seventies on EBay and they were at a bargain price as apparently collectors do not want one's that are folded up and shoved in your pocket ( that's me ! ) or scribbled on with player team changes and substitutes ( that's me again ) I...
  13. N

Exactly 28 years ago today - May 11th 1991

I was about to add Sit Down by James to the excellent thread about songs that remind us of Wolves when I saw the date I remembered the South Bank singing their own version of the song and thought I would ask fans if they have any memories of the day. Wolves were beating Pompey 3-1 at Molineux...
  14. N

Shane Rimmer ( Scott Tracy ) RIP

Just found out that Shane Rimmer has passed away. Shane was the voice of Scott Tracy in Thunderbirds. God I loved that show and I had all the Thunderbirds including Scott Tracy's Thunderbird One. I watched it in the seventies yet it made a huge comeback in the 90s with Tracy Island being the...
  15. N

Shopping and other things back in the seventies !

On the fantastic " Wolves on ceefax/ oracle / teletext " a contributor mentioned Gratton home shopping catalogues. That name brought back memories of my Mum being an agent for Kays catalogue. I am curious if anyone else had such a method of shopping where you paid for it over a number of weeks (...
  16. N

Ian Ross RIP

Sad to announce the passing of Ian Ross who was on the Wolves coaching staff during the John Barnwell era. Ian was brought to Wolves from Peterbrough by John Barnwell as a player / coach. He never actually made a first team appearance for Wolves despite appearing in playing kit on the standard...
  17. N

Shrewsbury 1 Wolves 3 FA Cup replay March 13th 1979

The Daily Star ( I get it for my OAP neighbour honest I do ! ) has the team line ups from the sixth round replay. This was after a 1-1 draw at Molineux on Saturday March 10th with Billy Rafferty scoring for Wolves in front of 40,946 on a pitch that I recall from the Big Match revisited looked...
  18. N

Hugh McIlvanney RIP

Just read of the sad passing of a true sports writing legend in Hugh McIlvaney. A man who could write about paint drying and make it sound fascinating. Sir Matt Busby, Jock Stein ( Hugh wrote a superb piece about Jock as he was there that night in Cardiff in 1985 when he died ) Bill Shankly and...
  19. N

Wolves Christmas fixtures in early sixties !

I was speaking to my Uncle on the phone today who is 83 and is a Derby fan ( he was and still is sport daft and back in the day if Derby were away he would often get on a train and come over to the Molineux ! ) Clive mentioned back to back games between Derby and Wolves sometime in the sixties...
  20. N

The last two times Wolves won 3 in a row in the top division !

A long time ago in a galaxy far far away ........... it was 1980 February 9th Manchester United ( A ) 1 -0 Mel Eves February 23 Norwich City ( A ) 4 - 0 Kenny Hibbitt 2, Mel Eves, John Richards February 26 Liverpool ( H ) 1 - 0 John Richards ( it is an omen for this coming Friday I tell you ...
Back
Top Bottom