Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Lage and goal prediction

Wolfy McWolf-Face

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Thats an extremely weak argument. That has nothing to do with our performance and that has nothing to do with how poor we have been for over half a season carrying on into this season. Poor performance is a normality for us these days. Its not for Liverpool so i dont see the comparison.

Point im making is that Fulham are clearly no walk overs. Had any one of our front 4 showed any type of composure we had that game in the bag. We were far from perfect for sure but had created enough to win, Bruno can't be held accountable for **** finishing.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Point im making is that Fulham are clearly no walk overs. Had any one of our front 4 showed any type of composure we had that game in the bag. We were far from perfect for sure but had created enough to win, Bruno can't be held accountable for **** finishing.

They were pretty awful. We didnt really put their defence under much pressure and they looked all over the place whenever we did. Nobody is blaming Bruno for the poor finishing, but he's the manager/head coach, he's responsible for how we play. A home game you expect to take to opposition like that, and we didnt, we set up like a team who should have been playing on the front foot and we counter attacked. Bruno is accountable for that kind of thing.

So many excuses are getting made all over the place and no matter how you dress it up we arent playing well, our form hasnt been good for a long, long time, we arent winning winnable games and unless we pick up probably 6 points in the next 3 games minimum we are going to be in trouble. After those games i think we will be lucky to pick up another point until we play Forest in mid October.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Portuguese is a language related to Spanish which may make it easier for Spanish speakers to understand it, I grant you. But they may not feel comfortable speaking it. But someone like RAN, who is a French speaker, won't know it, nor Hwang, nor any of the Brits. I can't see how using Portuguese in team talks would work. Be interesting to be a fly on the wall to hear the language(s) used.
You're mentioning players I've not suggested do speak Portuguese. All I've done is make a very good case for why nearly half of the aforementioned players probably do speak Portuguese.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You're mentioning players I've not suggested do speak Portuguese. All I've done is make a very good case for why nearly half of the aforementioned players probably do speak Portuguese.
Yes, but so what if they do? Do you think it is remotely feasible or desirable for Lage to make training and coaching an English-free area?

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Logically we should, yes. In reality we need 5 or 6 new players across the team, players who are an upgrade on what we have or at least on a par with ‘potential’. The current squad is stale.

Thinking this, too. Though we've just had the biggest shake up since promotion. I guess shake-ups don't always mean the pieces fall back together in a better place. Might need some time.

Nuno used to go on about "intensity" and it's been lacking for ages. Watching Forest, with a limited team, but match West Ham through sheer intensity. We did that too, for first couple of seasons. Not any more. Maybe novelty has work off? Or the manager isn't able to motivate? Or maybe we need those new players to shake up those who have been here some time?

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thinking this, too. Though we've just had the biggest shake up since promotion. I guess shake-ups don't always mean the pieces fall back together in a better place. Might need some time.

Nuno used to go on about "intensity" and it's been lacking for ages. Watching Forest, with a limited team, but match West Ham through sheer intensity. We did that too, for first couple of seasons. Not any more. Maybe novelty has work off? Or the manager isn't able to motivate? Or maybe we need those new players to shake up those who have been here some time?
Think it’s a combination of all those things. Other posters have noted how often we have only one or at best two players in or around the penalty box when the likes of Neto are putting a ball in. This is our third season with this problem and seems to indicate the team cannot attack as a unit. Certainly not on the consistency levels needed.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Inglorious"
Reaction score
Modern English in football...

Goalkeeper
Left back
Right back
Wing back
Centre back
Sweeper
Defensive midfielder
Centre midfielder
Left midfield
Right midfield
Winger
Striker
Forward

There's some more. Half back ain't one. I'm not speaking American I just don't understand ye olde English.

I don't listen to the hit parade on the wireless either.
You're in Olde English mate. I can't keep up these days, it's either abbreviations from FIFA, I thought the team bus had broken down first time I heard that 'we need a CAM', or a string of numbers 'are we playing with two 6's today?'. 6 is a centre half in my mind, but I'm stuck in the 80's.

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes, but so what if they do? Do you think it is remotely feasible or desirable for Lage to make training and coaching an English-free area?
Nobody has said that. If you can remember, it was you who started this by trying to make out Bruno couldn't speak English well enough to get his ideas across to the team. I don't think most would agree with you about that, but the point is that he doesn't really need to, because Portuguese is widely understood amongst players and coaching staff. You might struggle understanding him, I doubt his players do.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
9 points from the last 42, no wins in 9 games, 5 wins in the last 19 games and not much good form in there. Not really sure how any negativity can be called over the top. He's lucky we didnt sack him in the summer really.
It's amazing how certain of the so-called fans who hounded our best manager for 50 years are now so desperate to whitewash the record or rewrite history with respect to his successor. I wonder why......

DDPPwolf313

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
You can’t just let him off because he doesn’t have much ability though - we need someone in that centre mid role who can make a difference.

That was probably donks best game in ages yesterday - but he still spent most of the game passing backwards, and running next to the opposition (though he did also make some interceptions and a tackle or two - but that’s just not enough).
I'm neither criticising him or championing him to be honest.

Sooner Moutinho is back the better, and we desperately need another option off the bench for CM, a young wild card with pace and power would be ideal.

I don't think Donk offers anywhere near enough in a midfield two, but he does a job. Neves probably needs to take more responsibility and get involved further up the pitch if playing in a two with Donk.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Sooner Moutinho is back the better, and we desperately need another option off the bench for CM, a young wild card with pace and power would be ideal.

I don't think Donk offers anywhere near enough in a midfield two, but he does a job. Neves probably needs to take more responsibility and get involved further up the pitch if playing in a two with Donk.
I don't see how Moutinho changes anything about our midfield performance in last two games, in fact Donk did vital work intercepting passes after ball had been turned over (few times by Neves) that he wouldn't have had the legs to get into position for

Corporate Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I think this is the issue though isn't it - that Lage ideally wants 4-3-3 and clearly did not really trust the youngers players to come in; hence why were seeing more of a 4-2-3-1 ??

DDPPwolf313

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I don't see how Moutinho changes anything about our midfield performance in last two games, in fact Donk did vital work intercepting passes after ball had been turned over (few times by Neves) that he wouldn't have had the legs to get into position for
On his day, Moutinho moves the ball much quicker and can dictate the play much better than Donk. Fulham offered naff all in an attacking sense but we were so slow-moving the ball from defence into dangerous areas. I sat in the Graham Hughes looking down the line at Nouri and Neto with their arms in the air for ages, whilst our centre halves played it into the feet of Donk, Neves and sometimes MGW who just gave it straight back to them. The result may have been the same, but I would have been more confident in Moutinho to have the intelligence and spot the glaring holes in the channels Fulham were leaving.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

On his day, Moutinho moves the ball much quicker and can dictate the play much better than Donk. Fulham offered naff all in an attacking sense but we were so slow-moving the ball from defence into dangerous areas. I sat in the Graham Hughes looking down the line at Nouri and Neto with their arms in the air for ages, whilst our centre halves played it into the feet of Donk, Neves and sometimes MGW who just gave it straight back to them. The result may have been the same, but I would have been more confident in Moutinho to have the intelligence and spot the glaring holes in the channels Fulham were leaving.
Can't remember Moutinho ever moving the ball quickly, can't even in the best of Nuno years us doing it ever other than on counter attacks tbh. Didn't we have some crazy bad record with 60% possession under Nuno as well?

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You're in Olde English mate. I can't keep up these days, it's either abbreviations from FIFA, I thought the team bus had broken down first time I heard that 'we need a CAM', or a string of numbers 'are we playing with two 6's today?'. 6 is a centre half in my mind, but I'm stuck in the 80's.
Well I am further back in time 6 well that’s your half back init

StourWolves

Groupie
Reaction score
My main concern is the passages of play seem to lack any cutting edge. Rarely any runs in behind from the forwards and nearly every time its a pass into feet with a defender a yard behind them, results in a backwards or sideways pass. Second game we had nearly 60% possession but failed to do that much with it.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sorry, but you lost me at Moutinho moves the ball much quicker...I don't see that, unless it is sideways or backwards. None of our midfielders move the ball remotely quick enough in any purposeful direction

DDPPwolf313

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Sorry, but you lost me at Moutinho moves the ball much quicker...I don't see that, unless it is sideways or backwards. None of our midfielders move the ball remotely quick enough in any purposeful direction
Sideways would have been a big improvement on the weekends efforts

Back
Top Bottom