Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Lage and goal prediction

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Was said last season too along with Nuno would be in the Champions League.

To be fair, about 2.5 years ago I would’ve gone to bat for Nuno against anybody - one of the best managers in the league for a little while.

On Lage, never seen anything to get excited about sadly. I’ve always struggled to warm to him which doesn’t help, can’t really watch his interviews and the way he is on the bench/touchline just fills me with zero confidence. We had those opening three games last season that were enjoyable to watch, lack of points aside.

He’s obviously a highly rated coach but just can’t see him being here long at all. After Spurs give us a hiding, he’s only got Newcastle, Bournemouth and Southampton before we play City and Liverpool, so three games before Jeff considers pulling the plug IMO.

Wolfy McWolf-Face

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Who can play the Coady role like Coady?

Coady didn't play the Coady role under Bruno. The days of long diagonals to wing backs went 2 years ago. Coady was just another CB albeit a good leader.

5 at the back is not unique in football. Not everyone has a Coady and it'll not be famously known as the Coady role.

Bugsy911

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can't see him sorting this out and with the big boys rocking up it will end up with him sacked.

The lack of a striker and midfield presence has been apparent for easily a couple of years and its inexcusable that it hasn't been addressed and already costing us valuable points in winnable games.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Coady didn't play the Coady role under Bruno. The days of long diagonals to wing backs went 2 years ago. Coady was just another CB albeit a good leader.

5 at the back is not unique in football. Not everyone has a Coady and it'll not be famously known as the Coady role.
It's the sort of nonsensical disrespect I expect on the mix.

Let's just ignore everything Coady done that made him an England International. Arguably the best English middle CB there is.

inaglasshouse

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No, we 100% know that all of those listed *can't* finish reliably, consistently and clinically. They are all 5 or 6 goal a season players at their very best. And when they are not even achieving that, then we depend on set piece goals from centre halves and so on.

Also, a lot of our chances fall to Dendonker and he's a terrible finisher, consistently scores less than he should have.
So would you also reject Neto, Podence and MGW in our starting line up or would you give them another season because you know in your heart they are great and you are wrong? I presume Neves keeps his place because it's not ultimately his job to score the goals.

Wolfy McWolf-Face

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Let's just ignore everything Coady done that made him an England International. Arguably the best English middle CB there is.

Not at all. The guy achieved great things with us and for us. Club legend.

But others play 3 CBs without Coady and we can too.

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

But, isn't it similar to how Ron Flowers was still probably one of the best half-backs in England in 1966 - but that the role had changed under Ramsey, as far as the national team was concerned?

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not at all. The guy achieved great things with us and for us. Club legend.

But others play 3 CBs without Coady and we can too.
But we've let go for a pittance, the best man for the job - is the point.

Man City won the league by playing a false 9, how's that working out for us?

Plenty of teams do play with a back three, you're correct. But with varying degrees of success. I'd suggest we won't be as successful playing it without occasional England skipper Conor Coady.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But, isn't it similar to how Ron Flowers was still probably one of the best half-backs in England in 1966 - but that the role had changed under Ramsey, as far as the national team was concerned?
I couldn't possibly comment on a subject I have no knowledge of. A half back to me is a NFL position.

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I couldn't possibly comment on a subject I have no knowledge of. A half back to me is a NFL position.
For an old fart like me that makes me sad
Half back is English bugger the Americanisms
Bloody defence and offence or whatever **** they come up with and we copy. We invented the language and they *******ised it then we copy them . I give up you will be calling it soccer next

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bloody defence and offence or whatever **** they come up with and we copy. We invented the language and they *******ised it then we copy them . I give up you will be calling it soccer next
Modern English in football...

Goalkeeper
Left back
Right back
Wing back
Centre back
Sweeper
Defensive midfielder
Centre midfielder
Left midfield
Right midfield
Winger
Striker
Forward

There's some more. Half back ain't one. I'm not speaking American I just don't understand ye olde English.

I don't listen to the hit parade on the wireless either.

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Goalkeeper
Left back
Right back
Wing back
Centre back
Sweeper
Defensive midfielder
Centre midfielder
Left midfield
Right midfield
Winger
Striker
Forward

There's some more. Half back ain't one. I'm not speaking American I just don't understand ye olde English.

Well I know you youngsters don’t have much time for history but it does come in handy
You can learn a lot from the past
But I suppose when I was younger I thought I knew it all
As my old dad said yowl lern

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We're playing without a striker in a new system and should've scored atleast 2 yesterday

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So would you also reject Neto, Podence and MGW in our starting line up or would you give them another season because you know in your heart they are great and you are wrong? I presume Neves keeps his place because it's not ultimately his job to score the goals.

Not sure what you are getting at? I don't know the answers, but I know what we have is not working. I've rated him in the past, but overall feelgn very disillusioned with Podence right now. Would be happy to sell him and get a 10 goal a season striker in. Hopefully wrong, but I can't see him ever having that impact.

Neto just back from injury. Not much of a goal scorer, though time is on his side and he is only going to improve. I think he adds much more to the team - he can terrify defenders similar to Adama, but has much more end product. MGW, who knows?

Part of the problem is they (the forwards) all seem to be playing as individuals, not a team. Anyway, whatever it is, something is wrong.

Neves is very much not the problem - but he needs a midfielder who provides a contrast alongside him.

Broadly, our squad is unbalanced at least partly because of our transfer policy of player trading and dealing with primarily one agent. We get some good players, but they are not necessarily the ones we need. Hence we go ages lacking wing backs, then 3 turn up, then we collect centre halves and wide players like we want to corner the market in them.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
An in form Raul or another striker won’t fix our goal scoring issues. Fact is Wolves don‘t create many good chances. We’re getting better over last season but not by much.
Absolutely. Not sure we’re getting better though as our first 3 or 4 games last season, the start of the new ‘Bruno’ era, saw us have lots of shots at goal but we simply couldn’t score.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
English not really a priority language in our dressing room though and I am sure he is eloquent in Portuguese.
MGW, Collins, Kilman, RAN, Jonny, Raul, Semedo, Adama, Hwang, Cundle, Boly, Donks, Sarkic don't speak Portuguese as far as I know

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Soccer is an English word.;)

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Goalkeeper
Left back
Right back
Wing back
Centre back
Sweeper
Defensive midfielder
Centre midfielder
Left midfield
Right midfield
Winger
Striker
Forward

Showing your age with "sweeper" surely? Which is the Cody problem really.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well I know you youngsters don’t have much time for history but it does come in handy
You can learn a lot from the past
But I suppose when I was younger I thought I knew it all
As my old dad said yowl lern
I don't know it all. I've confessed, I don't know what a half back is and never saw Ron Flowers play - so couldn't possibly comment on why he wasn't selected by Alf Ramsey.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Recon half of them have a working knowledge and the rest will really have to learn to fit in with the predominant culture.
You think half of these players have a working knowledge of Portuguese? Are you serious?

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You think half of these players have a working knowledge of Portuguese? Are you serious?
I would say 5/13 do. Adama and Jonny are Spanish. They may not be fluent but they'll grasp much of what's said. They'll read Portuguese even easier than speaking it too.

The Mexican Jimenez is in a similar position and along with Willy Boly spent four years playing in Portugal. They're both clever guys and judging by they're English, I reckon they'd have adapted to Portuguese even easier.

Nelson Semedo is... erm... er... well, he is Portuguese. That normally means you speak it.

groundhogwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The man's done little to win us over. I understand that Nuno was a tough act to follow, but that's because of the wonderful job Nuno done in winning the fans over with a largely inherited squad.
Bruno is yet to receive the tools to do the job, Nuno enjoyed more financial support in his championship seasons, unfair and unrealistic to compare.If Nuno was following Nuno with the current investment he would be getting pelters.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bruno is yet to receive the tools to do the job, Nuno enjoyed more financial support in his championship seasons, unfair and unrealistic to compare.If Nuno was following Nuno with the current investment he would be getting pelters.
Utter BS. We did not spend over £40M in Nuno's ONE Championship season.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would say 5/13 do. Adama and Jonny are Spanish. They may not be fluent but they'll grasp much of what's said. They'll read Portuguese even easier than speaking it too.

The Mexican Jimenez is in a similar position and along with Willy Boly spent four years playing in Portugal. They're both clever guys and judging by they're English, I reckon they'd have adapted to Portuguese even easier.

Nelson Semedo is... erm... er... well, he is Portuguese. That normally means you speak it.
Semedo was my mistake. But I refuse to believe that the rest, including all the Brits, will happily chat away in Portuguese.

Premier Quality

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
That's exactly the point I was making. Dendonker doesn't win or lose us a game, he does his job and nothing else. Every other player on that pitch has the ability to step it up a gear and change the game, and they should be held accountable. Not Dendonker, ironically
You can’t just let him off because he doesn’t have much ability though - we need someone in that centre mid role who can make a difference.

That was probably donks best game in ages yesterday - but he still spent most of the game passing backwards, and running next to the opposition (though he did also make some interceptions and a tackle or two - but that’s just not enough).

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Assuming Nuno's tools in the first season were Ruddy, Bennett, Boly, Neves, Jota and Bonatini?

Bruno chose to take Sarkic over Ruddy. Sa was signed for Bruno.

He now has Collins rather than Bennett and chose to ditch Coady and Saïss.

Boly is retained, along with Neves. Obviously Jota is no longer here but it seems Bruno wanted and got Hwang and Trincao last season. RAN was signed permanently for Bruno - Bruno's not been backed though!!

I'm not suggesting Bonatini should be part of the squad, although Nuno got a tune out of him when required. Who has Bruno got a tune out of?

Let's not pretend Bruno inherited a shower either;

Semedo, Moutinho, Neto, Adama, Podence, Kilman. Poor Bruno.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You can’t just let him off because he doesn’t have much ability though - we need someone in that centre mid role who can make a difference.

That was probably donks best game in ages yesterday - but he still spent most of the game passing backwards, and running next to the opposition (though he did also make some interceptions and a tackle or two - but that’s just not enough).
To be fair to Donks, he is a defender/defensive midfielder. Neves has more natural ability so should be playing further up the field. Donks is an excellent pro being asked to do a job for the team.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Semedo was my mistake. But I refuse to believe that the rest, including all the Brits, will happily chat away in Portuguese.
Like I said 5/13. Which is one shy of 6, which is pretty much half.

It baffles me you don't believe the Spanish speakers who btw can all speak English, can't speak Portuguese. Or that Boly who played in Portugal for four years and could speak English after a season here couldn't either.

Back
Top Bottom