Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The happy days are here again, hopefully no more repeated arguments, transfer thread

Severnup

Groupie
Reaction score
Out of these 3 or 4 possible signings wondering if at least 1 of them will be someone who hasn't even been mentioned . Next few weeks should be interesting.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My take on Nunes is that he remains our preferred choice as an attacking CM. He knows we’re interested, we’ve agreed a fee with the club, but he’s holding out for a bigger club. Our offer remains open, for now at least, while he waits. If nobody bigger approaches him before the window closes, then my guess is that he takes our offer as we are seen as a safe stepping stone to a bigger club later, and we may indeed become that bigger club in due course.

There is a possibility that having signed Guedes, that MGW could be turned into an attacking CM, a role I think he played at Sheffield a few times. Not sure that’s his best position, or if he fits Bruno’s template for that role. Might be that he plays mainly as a number 10, but is cover for an AM and as a wide forward.

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Question for folk - would you sign someone less good than Nunes now or wait to see if we can get him?

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My take on Nunes is that he remains our preferred choice as an attacking CM. He knows we’re interested, we’ve agreed a fee with the club, but he’s holding out for a bigger club. Our offer remains open, for now at least, while he waits. If nobody bigger approaches him before the window closes, then my guess is that he takes our offer as we are seen as a safe stepping stone to a bigger club later, and we may indeed become that bigger club in due course.

There is a possibility that having signed Guedes, that MGW could be turned into an attacking CM, a role I think he played at Sheffield a few times. Not sure that’s his best position, or if he fits Bruno’s template for that role. Might be that he plays mainly as a number 10, but is cover for an AM and as a wide forward.

I'm thinking that maybe Nunes future is related to that of Bernardo Silva's. We've seen for a while that Barca want Silva, who has played in a middle three of late for Man City, and Guardiola is a known admirer of Nunes, called him a "world class midfielder" after they played them last year. Barca are doing everything they can to free up room for Silva it seems, who's unhappy with lack of game time there, with KDB/Gundogan/Rodri being Pep's preferred three for most of last season.

If Silva stays at Man City, perhaps that strengthens our chances of getting Nunes. We've obviously been courting him for a long time now, so a club on fairly even keel with us like West Ham, most likely wouldn't take preference over us, given we have the Portuguese contingent and his agent in our corner.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Question for folk - would you sign someone less good than Nunes now or wait to see if we can get him?
Wait.

I might sign a young, cheap cover player for the role while waiting if Bruno doesn’t fancy trying MGW in the attacking mid position. Someone similar to Chiq but a midfielder. Maybe that’s B Traore?

What I wouldn’t do is move for a similarly high quality alternative to Nunes unless someone like Man City come in and take Nunes.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would love to believe we’ll get 3 or 4 more in before September, but it’s exactly what he said last summer and after he said that we signed Hwang on loan and that was it.

Fingers crossed it happens this year.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I understand us waiting to see if we can get him over the week or so, but if we can’t convince him by then we should move on and sign someone else, this month. We can’t afford to go into a season where we’ll play 433 at times with only 3 CM’s.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
I understand us waiting to see if we can get him over the week or so, but if we can’t convince him by then we should move on and sign someone else, this month. We can’t afford to go into a season where we’ll play 433 at times with only 3 CM’s.

I’d personally like us to have 5 midfielders if we’re looking to play 4-3-3 to ensure we still had an option off the bench if one of the others was injured or suspended.

If we could get say an Almeida on loan with an option, then I’d 100% be prepared to wait for Nunes.

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Personally, I would wait.

The only way for Fosun to deliver their long term vision is to find exceptional footballers. Sometimes that comes via an unexpected find, but most the time it comes from buying the absolute best talent you can afford at the time.

They simply have to take some calculated risks if they want to win big.

That is why I don't slag them off for the Adama loan to Barcelona.

Ok, it didn't work and to many it's made them look like tits - but even if they had a 20% chance of turning £10m into £30m surely they were right to have a punt? It's a bit like those game shows were you have to gamble your winnings on one last question, most of the times the size of the prize makes it worth it.

So, getting back to Nunes. If there is the slightest chance we can pick him up for an affordable price when others higher up the food chain have walked away then I think its worth a punt. Of course there are risks, maybe your fall back target moves on and you are left with your third choice (or no choice). But quality players build football clubs. If we get Nunes for £35m he looks to me that he will be worth double in two years - Manchester City and United don't care what they pay. They can wait to see if he does become the finished article, we don't have that luxury.

So wait right up to the last minute, the point where you can still secure your 2nd level option.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’d personally like us to have 5 midfielders if we’re looking to play 4-3-3 to ensure we still had an option off the bench if one of the others was injured or suspended.

If we could get say an Almeida on loan with an option, then I’d 100% be prepared to wait for Nunes.
Yep absolutely agree with 5 midfielders. The time for Nunes is this window or never though imo. If he doesn’t want to come to Wolves now, he won’t in January or next summer.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Yep absolutely agree with 5 midfielders. The time for Nunes is this window or never though imo. If he doesn’t want to come to Wolves now, he won’t in January or next summer.

Agreed. Similar to the Sanches situation last year. That was our one shot of getting him before the big boys came in. Can fully understand us waiting if we feel we have a shot of landing Nunes.

steve vena

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
1. Worst stadium in Englandvto watch football
2. ‘Fan base’ was bought with silly ST prices to lure youngsters to awful stadium - will disappear in droves as they realise the pup they’ve been sold.
3. ‘Strong identity’ ? Meaning what? Bubbles & Hammers? Confused!!
And 7.60 for a beer and 2.50 for a packet of cheese and onion.

LINT70

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Bruno can want what he likes,but likely wont get it
Ill be surprised if we bring in more than 2 others at best

Don’t underestimate the Mendes factor - if the news from a couple of posters on here is true that there is now additional money available then we are again fishing at the top table - sorry for the mixture of metaphors!

Some of the players we’ve managed to lure to the club over the last few years has been unreal and that will be due to the Mendes influence and relationship with the club- it may work against sometimes but I’m happy to accept that if that means we are able to bring in the calibre of players being mentioned.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don’t underestimate the Mendes factor - if the news from a couple of posters on here is true that there is now additional money available then we are again fishing at the top table - sorry for the mixture of metaphors!

Some of the players we’ve managed to lure to the club over the last few years has been unreal and that will be due to the Mendes influence and relationship with the club- it may work against sometimes but I’m happy to accept that if that means we are able to bring in the calibre of players being mentioned.
If we are talking about Nunes then theres also the lure of playing with a load of international teammates.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

The only way for Fosun to deliver their long term vision is to find exceptional footballers. Sometimes that comes via an unexpected find, but most the time it comes from buying the absolute best talent you can afford at the time.

Ok, it didn't work and to many it's made them look like tits - but even if they had a 20% chance of turning £10m into £30m surely they were right to have a punt? It's a bit like those game shows were you have to gamble your winnings on one last question, most of the times the size of the prize makes it worth it.

So, getting back to Nunes. If there is the slightest chance we can pick him up for an affordable price when others higher up the food chain have walked away then I think its worth a punt. Of course there are risks, maybe your fall back target moves on and you are left with your third choice (or no choice). But quality players build football clubs. If we get Nunes for £35m he looks to me that he will be worth double in two years - Manchester City and United don't care what they pay. They can wait to see if he does become the finished article, we don't have that luxury.

So wait right up to the last minute, the point where you can still secure your 2nd level option.
Well said.

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I am sure he will be made aware of Jota situation where the ball is in his court to show the top four that they need him

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This. Guardiola has called him ‘world class’, but where’s the bid?
Citeh don’t have to take on the risk and save by taking him from a weaker division. They can wait for him to prove himself at someone like us and pay 2-3x that fee, just like Liverpool with Mane and Van Dijk.

If he genuinely runs out of options in the next few days, it looks increasingly likely.
Barca are ‘skint’ and have signed an athletic CM, Real have their old soldiers plus Cammavigna and Touchemeni, Bayern have their CM sorted for years to come, PSG have bought numerous CMs…rest of Europe are skint, the PL isn’t but the biggest boys aren’t asking.

All depends on how much he enjoys Portugal/Sporting, CL group stages, and earning less than a fifth of what he could over here.
If they gave him a new deal as top earner, we could still easily double it.

Starsky

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If I were Nunes, I'd also be waiting to see what we do in the market over the next 3 weeks.

We will need to show further intent to get him IMO. He will know that the current depth of squad hampers our chances and therefore him being involved in a successful side.

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

And if we wait to the point that the end of the window comes and we don't get a him we are ****ed up the **** with a Ragmans trumpet.
If he doesnt want to come now then how will he be if he arrives and begrudges the transfer. Give it a week and move on.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Give Nunes a deadline. Not 1st September either.

If he doesn't sign by, say, 20th, that gives us plenty of time to sort Plan B, Plan C and Plan D.

(forget Plan E, who needs Jake Livermore ;))
Excuse me but how the **** is Livermore higher than Plan Z.

For comparison Plan Y involves reincarnation and Plan X zombies....

Back
Top Bottom