Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Thanks Conor.

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score
I dunno... seems to me like the move was best for Conor and the club, yet there's some weird attitude that turning on the guy is somehow right to make people feel better about it all. He's expected to give his all for Wolves one minute, then all he did do is disregarded the next when things change, another club does want him, and he moves onto the next stage in his career. We can't have our cake and eat it.
Good luck to Wolves with a back four...
Good luck to Conor going forward with his career...
The two are not mutually exclusive.

WWFC4EVA

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I dunno... seems to me like the move was best for Conor and the club, yet there's some weird attitude that turning on the guy is somehow right to make people feel better about it all. He's expected to give his all for Wolves one minute, then all he did do is disregarded the next when things change, another club does want him, and he moves onto the next stage in his career. We can't have our cake and eat it.
Good luck to Wolves with a back four...
Good luck to Conor going forward with his career...
The two are not mutually exclusive.
I for one, am over it now.
Adore Conor for everything he's done for us and will be eternally grateful but my Allegiances are with Wolverhampton Wanderers Football Club, not any one player. So good luck CC16 but you're just another enemy opponent now!

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some of the comments on here are just ridiculous. He knows he's great in a 5 and limited in a 4 and even if he thinks he can play in a 4, it's clear his manager doesn't agree. So sit on the bench at 29 or move to play somewhere that you're wanted? I can't see how anyone can criticise him (or Lage, or the club) on the basis of what we know. The only caveat is the terms of the loan deal / permanent transfer, but I'm a bit reminded of Andy Mutch leaving, in a tough commercial world maybe sometimes there's a bit of room for respecting someone who's given their all.

You're saying sit on the bench but it's been one game! That's the point. Yes I have no doubt we plan to use a four moving forward but plans can change. If we lose on Saturday let's not pretend there wouldn't be serious questions about whether we should change formation if Coady was here. In fact, I reckon we'd be more likely to go to Spurs with a back three than without if we'd started the season with successive defeats.

Last season, whilst not a formation change, we tweaked the style of play dramatically after just three games.

That's without going into what happens if Kilman or Collins get injured. There are serious doubts about all our centre-backs behind them two, so you could make a strong case to say that we would change to a back three if one of them was ruled out for a lengthy period of time.

Also, part of the love for Coady was that he was more than just a regular player, hence the overall reaction to him.
Everyone treated him as 'Mr Wolves', he was synonymous with the club and made claims like 'I owe my life to this club'. So when he leaves it's a bit galling for him to repeatedly state he pushed for the move and then say things like 'something's not right' just because he was dropped to third or fourth choice.

I get you have to big the new club up on joining but I doubt, for example, Seamus Coleman would go on about being desperate to leave Everton if we had signed him in the past.

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
People had this same animosity towards Doc and Jota when they left.

I still look out for those players every week and feel a sense of pride if they do well.

People are so quick to cut emotional ties with a player just because they’re not ‘Wolves’ anymore. It’s a bit pathetic tbh.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To be fair, I’m not sure he said that.
Actually he sort of did in an interview with talk sport. Don't really blame him personally. I'd have left too in his circumstances. This is his only realistic opportunity to go to a world cup and he's not going to do that as a Wolves substitute.

Reaction score
Read the article and whilst glad he has moved to his hometown club I feel a bit deflated with some of the negative vibes from him. I hope for his sake that Everton splash the cash at the end of the loan as he might regret those vibes if he has to come back here to see out the rest of his contract.

Wolfy McWolf-Face

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
But he wasn't dropped for underperforming, he was dropped because we don't want a sweeper, so what good would "fighting for his shirt" have done, other than being a nice sounding line to use?

In any other job, he'd have gone through a redundancy process when we switched to a back 4.

He's an England International Centre half - does he not back himself against 2 less experienced players? Bruno even stated that he thinks Conor can play 4 at the back plus he wants flexibility so a back 5 could be used also. That suggests there was every reason to stay and fight.

Either way it is what it is and I'm thankful he was our leader through the greatest period in my Wolves supporting history. I'm genuinely sad he has gone and really do think he could have stayed and played his part both on and off the pitch.

Just my opinion and last thoughts on the matter as he's gone now, with best wishes from most and we enter a new era.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Inglorious"
Reaction score
You're saying sit on the bench but it's been one game! That's the point. Yes I have no doubt we plan to use a four moving forward but plans can change. If we lose on Saturday let's not pretend there wouldn't be serious questions about whether we should change formation if Coady was here. In fact, I reckon we'd be more likely to go to Spurs with a back three than without if we'd started the season with successive defeats.

Last season, whilst not a formation change, we tweaked the style of play dramatically after just three games.

That's without going into what happens if Kilman or Collins get injured. There are serious doubts about all our centre-backs behind them two, so you could make a strong case to say that we would change to a back three if one of them was ruled out for a lengthy period of time.

Also, part of the love for Coady was that he was more than just a regular player, hence the overall reaction to him.
Everyone treated him as 'Mr Wolves', he was synonymous with the club and made claims like 'I owe my life to this club'. So when he leaves it's a bit galling for him to repeatedly state he pushed for the move and then say things like 'something's not right' just because he was dropped to third or fourth choice.

I get you have to big the new club up on joining but I doubt, for example, Seamus Coleman would go on about being desperate to leave Everton if we had signed him in the past.
Yes, I did say somewhere on here the other day though that it's a bit like an alcoholic going dry but keeping a bottle of whisky in the spare room.

Turn up next Monday and (God forbid) we've lost to Fulham. Saiss and Coady saying 'maybe we should go back to a 352' isn't going to help. We've moved on, it might turn out to be a mistake, but at least it's a clean break.

PS please don't bookmark this for Monday never mind November!

92WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think people are reading way to much into things to suit themselves. No doubt things had changed and he did probably feel like a change was coming that didnt favour him. It happens, doesnt have to be any ulterior motives involved, doesnt have to be anything sinister, just a player who wanted to play and could see he wasnt going to, and a manager who wanted to do things a different way.

There clearly hasnt been any falling out between them, or Conor and the club. Just time for a change for both parties. Puzzles me why people are desperately trying to look for a different narrative with this whole situation.

I agree, I was a little sad by his comments though. I still admire Jota and Doc and wish nothing but well to them (unless playing us) and I will with Coady too. I guess it was just jarring to here that kind of interview from our club captain could understand being excited for a move and new challenge but an actual live interview where he discusses why he was desperate to leave because he was dropped is disappointing. I guess he is just our most high profile player really especially with his England links so the media wants the gossip.

Chisels_n_ommers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Actually he sort of did in an interview with talk sport. Don't really blame him personally. I'd have left too in his circumstances. This is his only realistic opportunity to go to a world cup and he's not going to do that as a Wolves substitute.
But he'll be a substitute, motivator, cheer leader and interviewee in his role for England - he's not going to kick a ball, so he would have had the perfect prep for that at Wolves this season.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's an England International Centre half - does he not back himself against 2 less experienced players? Bruno even stated that he thinks Conor can play 4 at the back plus he wants flexibility so a back 5 could be used also. That suggests there was every reason to stay and fight.

Either way it is what it is and I'm thankful he was our leader through the greatest period in my Wolves supporting history. I'm genuinely sad he has gone and really do think he could have stayed and played his part both on and off the pitch.

Just my opinion and last thoughts on the matter as he's gone now, with best wishes from most and we enter a new era.

He's an England International™ because of his performance as the middle of 3. He's not tall and not that physically gifted in terms of strength or pace - that's never going to change, so he's always going to find it difficult to play in a 2, IMO. While Coady played down the World Cup aspect, I'm sure that plays a part, and if that's only 12 Wolves games away, then it doesn't really leave much time to "fight" or "force his way in", assuming Bruno wants to give 4 at the back a decent run of games.

Bruno, like a lot of managers, is always going to be relatively diplomatic in public - he'd get pelters if he'd come out and said "nah, Coady's crap in a back 4, and I can offer a cast iron guarantee we're never playing a back 5 again in any circumstance"!

I really do think it's very easy to fall into the trap of using overly emotive language like "stay and fight", but realistically, the decision has been made to go with others. The reality is does he want to sit on the bench and be a glorified cheerleader at the age of 29 when he's both experienced but has plenty left in the tank, or does he want to go and fight (for a new club)?

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
Quick question, there was a question on the Talksport video about him now being able to drive himself to work, do I take from that that he's never moved down to the area?

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Quick question, there was a question on the Talksport video about him now being able to drive himself to work, do I take from that that he's never moved down to the area?
Yep, sure that's correct.

I know someone who used to see him on the trains every day after joining.

Then on a recent podcast he said he lived with Lonergan and Mike Williamson in a house share when Lambert was in charge, so took that to mean he'd been told to live closer.

Can't say for sure recently but the kid plays for Everton and lives there, so the wife and children definitely do.

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Then on a recent podcast he said he lived with Lonergan and Mike Williamson in a house share when Lambert was in charge, so took that to mean he'd been told to live closer.

Can't say for sure recently but the kid plays for Everton and lives there, so the wife and children definitely do.

Pretty sure he lives in Widnes.

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score

Explains why his wife is so chuffed. I would be too after seven years of long distance commuting, being told you're then surplus to requirements and then getting an equivalent job on your doorstep, I think most of would be over the moon.

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Explains why his wife is so chuffed. I would be too after seven years of long distance commuting, being told you're then surplus to requirements and then getting an equivalent job on your doorstep, I think most of would be over the moon.

I'm sure the millions of pounds he earned over the course of that commute helped soften the blow.

Reaction score
Great captain and together with Nuno has guided us to the most successful seasons of my lifetime. Thanks.

No room for sentiment in football however, if you’re good enough you should play, regardless of how long you’ve been here.

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am not really bothered what Coady says he did a great job for us .

It is his opinion and we all have ours on here .

wallace

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bruno didn't want him in his squad and so he moved to his local club who made an approach to sign him on loan. Now he has a job to get into the everton side and we hope get £12mill if they decide he is worth the fee. they weren't confident enough to sign him fully into their squad which isn't a real commitment to him and his ability so he could end up back to us eventually. I hope it works out for him there, it could be a fairy tale ending for him.

ToastedWanderer

Groupie
Reaction score
I don't like the noise around Coady going to Everton, he has every right to be excited about a new challenge and also every right to be disappointed he wasn't in Brunos plans for this season. He owes us nothing, we owe him our thanks for being such a great captain and ambassador for our club through the best years of recent times.

But the problem is this Loan business. All the talk is as if he's left, but he hasn't and as we've seen with Adama, he could come back with his tail between his legs and I do not want that to happen again. I wish him all the best, but I can't see a return to base being good for anyone. Best case scenario is fee agreed in January and part ways friends..

SilverstoneWolf

Reaction score
If I were Coady's professional adviser (and I'm available for a reasonable fee if he hasn't got one!) it would be that he must discipline himself to say NOTHING to the media, TV, pundits, press... take his telephone off the metaphorical hook ... close ALL his antisocial media accounts ... and just concentrate on playing his best for his new club.

The fans will grow very tired nd unforgiving if he keeps up this media storm but is not delivering on the pitch.

Get your head down, son - and stop thinking of and preparing for your role in the media madhouse once your career is over - there will be plenty of time for that!

Ginger Chimp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Great servant for us even better Leader for us. Gutted to see you go but I understand your reasons. Hope it all works out and I hope to see you lifting that World Cup with England. All the best. Once a Wolf always a Wolf
Frankowski?

<puke emoji>

D

Deleted member (smith)

Bruno didn't want him in his squad and so he moved to his local club who made an approach to sign him on loan. Now he has a job to get into the everton side and we hope get £12mill if they decide he is worth the fee. they weren't confident enough to sign him fully into their squad which isn't a real commitment to him and his ability so he could end up back to us eventually. I hope it works out for him there, it could be a fairy tale ending for him.

Never heard that…Heard that Coady wanted the move ( he gave his reasons)and wolves accommodated him with no fuss…

Bruno didn’t want him in the squad sounds like fiction.

wallace

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Never heard that…Heard that Coady wanted the move ( he gave his reasons)and wolves accommodated him with no fuss…

Bruno didn’t want him in the squad sounds like fiction.
My wording wasn't accurate, I didn't mean he wasn't welcome in the squad more the system had changed and his place in the team wasn't as assured as previous seasons.

Milijas

Reaction score
Grateful for what he done over 7 years..

However, he clearly didn't like being on the bench first game of the season and playing with the kids in a 2nd team in preseason. Could tell he had a right face on him at Leeds.
Can't be kicking toys out of the pram as Captain over that, a place is earnt on merit not a given because you are Captain and been here the longest. Good riddance don't want him moping about and not fighting for a place.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I do find some of the stick he is copping online on twitter and the express and star page really poor.

floydstreet

Reaction score
What a man, what a captain and what a player. I wish him nothing but good luck and thank him for his huge part in our rise.
Things don’t have to be so black and white. Nothing remains forever and at the end of his playing career the longest spell and most important part of his career will be with us.
But managers have the right to do it their own way and for Lage that is 4 at the back. If he was sacked and didn’t even put in place his style, he’d regret it so we all (Conor included) have to respect that.
Then it becomes a decision of squad player, selling or doing what’s right for the player. Our club chose the later which in this day and age is quite something and maybe something money aside we should appreciate.
We move on but never forget the impact that man has had, he equally moves on and will never forget the impact our club has had on him.
7 great years, everything comes to an end and I wish him all the best and would love him to be involved as a coach in the future of our club.
Always a wolf Conor don’t ever doubt that

Newportwolf

Groupie
Reaction score
I for one, am over it now.
Adore Conor for everything he's done for us and will be eternally grateful but my Allegiances are with Wolverhampton Wanderers Football Club, not any one player. So good luck CC16 but you're just another enemy opponent now!
And that’s the trouble with a lot of Wolves fans……they just can’t get over things and move on……

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Back
Top Bottom