Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The happy days are here again, hopefully no more repeated arguments, transfer thread

MutchAdo

Reaction score
Exactly the same, I remember actually contributing to the “who will be the first marquee signing” threads and looking forward to the 10000 south bank. Mug.
Even the overpays on Semedo and Fabio (I actually like Semedo and still hold out hopes for Fabio as he's improving, both massive overpays though) made the hope linger. Way too inflated fees but if they were going to pay that sort of money for those players then it seemed the sky really was the limit. How things have changed. At least we get to pay more towards funding eSports while watching increasingly dismal football.

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Why would we buy Flynn Downes when we have Neves? That's why we aren't buying Palhinha, right? Because we already have one whole defensive midfielder...

Come to think of it, we can now add to the Chiquinho song...

"Wake me up before you go-go who needs Adama when you've got Chiquinho?
Wake me up before you go-go who needs Trincao when you've got Chiquinho?
Wake me up before you go-go who needs Morgan when you've got Chiquinho?
Wake me up before you go-go who needs Hoever when you've got Chiquinho?
Wake me up before you go-go who needs Bolla when you've got Chiquinho?"

Now I think I'm really getting in the groove with the Sellars approach- why do we need Podence or Semedo now we've got Chiquinho?

We were much better when we had no options before everyone came back from injury past year after all. That's right isn't it Scotty Boy?

Last edited:

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't understand where this idea comes from. We earn considerably more the higher up we finish. Europe is achievable, we weren't that far away last season
Think the hard truth to accept is that the players that can bridge the gap between us being top 4 and the rest of the league want to play elsewhere. Throwing more money at it won't solve that problem.
We’d need a new squad to finish top four. We’d need 4/5 players at least at 100 mil+ Total to even challenge top 6. It’s not worth the risk in fosuns eyes.

Asthmatic Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Sadly I have become so accustomed to our inactivity that I just clicked on a news article titled ‘all completed PL transfers’ thinking it said ‘all collapsed PL transfers’

MutchAdo

Reaction score
We’d need a new squad to finish top four. We’d need 4/5 players at least at 100 mil+ Total to even challenge top 6. It’s not worth the risk in fosuns eyes.
And from the club's perspective I can't see them finding the Europa League / Conference whatever that appealing. The rewards are miniscule compared to the CL and you'd need a much bigger squad than we have now to compete on all fronts. I'd love to be watching us play Torino etc under the lights again but they're not going to push for that I don't think. CL isn't even a pipe dream, it's light years away.

Chisels_n_ommers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Are you saying that eSports might one day be bigger than football? Are you suggesting that fosun might one day see eSports as a more important investment? Sorry, just trying to understand your point better.

Fosun are not diverting Funds from the club in any way shape or form though as far as I can see, quite the opposite in fact.
I've no idea DME if Wolves esports will be bigger than Wolves Football.

What I am saying is, why is there an assumption that a Chinese investment company who's aim is to maximise investment divert funds from a more profitable area?

It might be that the analysts would advise on doing so (due to risk profiling and so on), I'm not saying they wouldn't.

But to suggest that a Chinese investment company would make such a decision based on anything other than maximising returns and business growth strategy baffles me.

So the argument "Esports will take off big style and then Fosun will pull funds out of that arm of the business that is flying to put into something that possibly isn't going to make them as much money" is massively flawed and is based on sentiment.

I don't associate sentiment with Chinese investment companies.

And I do align the term "self sustain" with the term "stagnation"

Glass ankles

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Really thought we'd have signed someone by now, purely for the fact quite a few have left.

Boards who know what they're doing have a proper recruitment plan.

I worry Sellars can't decide which toothbrush to buy at Aldi let alone recruit players good enough for a premier League side.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Really thought we'd have signed someone by now, purely for the fact quite a few have left.

Boards who know what they're doing have a proper recruitment plan.

I worry Sellars can't decide which toothbrush to buy at Aldi let alone recruit players good enough for a premier League side.

Totally agree.

steve vena

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Which teams?

There are quite a few teams just looking at premier League survival. We have European aspirations.

I know it's a catch 22 situation, without more investment and bigger wages we have less chance of qualifying for Europe. But likewise with bigger investment increases the likelihood of us not being allowed to participate in Europe if we do then qualify.
Are you a wet sham supporter? Just asking for a friend lol.

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Exactly this.

The money might not be huge now, but the eSports market is rapidly growing and will be worth huge amounts in the future. We'll be very well placed to capitalise on this.

I don't get why people knock it. Fosun get criticised for not spending money we don't have, and yet when they try to create new revenue streams, in an attempt to reduce the gap to the big six, they get lambasted by the same people criticising them for not spending more!
We wont. Fosun might. None of it will end up at wolves

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No I don't. But as it stands everything linked with that emblem links to the club and as WWFC are the official owners of that emblem, WWFC should be getting rights whenever and wherever it's used - which is where it could be extremely beneficial

My own fear is that Fosun buy the rights to the emblem when Fosun Sports is flying and then stick us up for sale having separated us from the brand they're building, no sign of it as yet though. Other side of the coin is they build it like the Red Bull model which is practically everywhere and the football club always remains part of that model - which could be very exciting!
It might but anyone who thinks esports etc is being developed to buy players is deluded. Wolves brand is being used like virgin. The airline didnt support the record shop

D

Deleted member intdint

I do worry for us if we are constrained by a tighter budget than previous years.

Shi/Sellars are not to blame, if the club has to be self sustainable then there is only so much that they can do.

D

Deleted member intdint

It might but anyone who thinks esports etc is being developed to buy players is deluded. Wolves brand is being used like virgin. The airline didnt support the record shop

Hmm, can't agree with you here.

The E-Sports venture isn't a cash cow, its to grow the brand so that the club have more fans coming in, particulary from a younger audience.

They will like the badge/kit and then be more inclined to support the club, buy merch etc.

E-Sports is a totally different venture to the main product, don't see why people are complaining about having an E-Sports team, its only a good thing.

Munich_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agreed. When you consider a "new-born" team is one that started in 2017 has earned a total of 3.5million is considered to have performed well... it doesn't seem like a great cash generator.

Genuinely surprised (or naive / old - delete as applicable) that the games quoted as generating the cash are not football games or motor racing / sport games it seems.

Fantasic, assuming it's all given to Wolverhampton Wanderers FC we may recoup the money we lost on the final day in 10 years. Well done Jeff, smart move that.

jonesy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It was actually ****ing amazing really

And now we're having to chill out a bit and reap the rewards of the youth project we invested in a few years ago.

Its still not bad guys
It was the statement “we will be top 4 in 5 years” that gave me and others an excitement I’ve never witness and probably not seen since the 50/60/70s generation. We were filled with false hope by owners that don’t match our passion…..my passion for this club.

I may go off on one from time to time but just like success in life, when we start becoming that power house again you don’t want to let it go and I feel let down by this company who clearly don’t care about success and only by profit.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If it’s successful, and I stress ‘if’, then it will definitely help Wolves the club. An example. The value of our shirt and other sponsorship deals is directly linked to the visibility and reach of the Wolves brand. So if Wolves are a recognised brand beyond our team’s footballing activities, then those sponsorship deals will be more valuable, and that money will be Wolves club income. That will directly affect our FFP position, ability to borrow money, and total club income.
its really not complicated, is it?

Reaction score
Every top club in Europe has an eSports team these days it seems. But I guess you'd argue that only Fosun are doing it to so they can siphon cash away from the club? Why are the rest doing it?

If we want to compete with the best we need to compete commercially too.

It's a pity you don't understand that.

steve vena

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It was the statement “we will be top 4 in 5 years” that gave me and others an excitement I’ve never witness and probably not seen since the 50/60/70s generation. We were filled with false hope by owners that don’t match our passion…..my passion for this club.

I may go off on one from time to time but just like success in life, when we start becoming that power house again you don’t want to let it go and I feel let down by this company who clearly don’t care about success and only by profit.
Amen brother. I'm sort of gutted inside.

Reaction score

Can you link me to the statement where they said we'd be top 4 in 5 years please?

WKFWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I also wonder why people are so fixated on esports and have to drop it in all the time but they never mention Wolves Records

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Every top club in Europe has an eSports team these days it seems. But I guess you'd argue that only Fosun are doing it to so they can siphon cash away from the club? Why are the rest doing it?

If we want to compete with the best we need to compete commercially too.

It's a pity you don't understand that.
Wolves don't own wolves eSports, fosun sports group do. If wolves eSports does really well, fosun sports group are under absolutely no obligation to give the funds generated to the football club.

goldfish

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think the point is this-

The esports branch of Fosun sports is apparently going to be hugely profitable.

The Wolverhampton Wanderers FC branch isn’t.

Which area would you, as an investment company, put your money and time into?
The eSports branch won't be successful if it's not anchored in a successful club. The football club does badly, the brand suffers.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The eSports branch won't be successful if it's not anchored in a successful club. The football club does badly, the brand suffers.
Not sure that's the case.

In the Ask Wolves one of them (I think Russell Jones) said that there would be many people in Asia who only know Wolves from esports and wouldn't even know we were a football club.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wolves don't own wolves eSports, fosun sports group do. If wolves eSports does really well, fosun sports group are under absolutely no obligation to give the funds generated to the football club.
exactly....just like Wolves are under no obligation to spend any money on transfers........they can do whatever they want.
But lucky for us, they do spend their money on Wolves.

Back
Top Bottom