Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

South American additions

Rhyl Wolf

Reaction score
Think you missed the part of my original email that said just for fun. If you don't like speculating on players fine, but then why pipe up and be miserable on a thread specifically for that?
Message received. Not sure what part of the post could be deemed miserable, but hey ho. I'm out then, as I know sweet football adams about South American players.

Aurum Lupus

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Message received. Not sure what part of the post could be deemed miserable, but hey ho. I'm out then, as I know sweet football adams about South American players.
Sounded like you were being sarcastic. Apologies if not!

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I never mentioned Stupid.But it certain was silly to send someone on a 14 hour flight not knowing if he even wants to sign for us or not.
In business this is exactly the sort of thing you have to do sometimes to get a deal over the line. It sometimes works and sometimes doesn't, but the idea is to stack the odds.

Krispy Kreme

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
With Matt Hobbs having flown to South America, the Birmjngham Mail put up a number of other options he could have spoken to down there. This is hypothetical, so whether he's home now or not, presume he had enough time to speak to as many as needed. I also don't claim any prior knowledge of these guys. But thought it may be a bit of light relief from the unending bickering going on atm!

3 of them standout and would only need a couple of players being sold to afford.

Leo Ortiz - apparently available for €10M
Joao Gomes - Flamengo almost sold 50% to a middle Eastern club last year for €5m. So at most he's another €10m.
Erison - current contract has €5m release clause

These 3 would total £21.5m, but totally allow us to play 4 at the back. Selling Coady and Traore would cover this surely.

Squad would be -

Sa
Jonny ORTIS Kilman RAN
Neves, JOAO GOMES,
Mgw
Chiquinho, ERISON, Neto

Subs - Sarkic, Boly/Mosquera, Gomes, Semedo, Moutinho, Dendoncker, Silva, Podence, Raul

If we are trying to identify other CBs, CMs and St are there any other South American suggestions?

Scolari for manager.

Ronaldo de Lima could be a part owner after his Valladolid success.

Bogota Wolf

Reaction score
In business this is exactly the sort of thing you have to do sometimes to get a deal over the line. It sometimes works and sometimes doesn't, but the idea is to stack the odds.

Spot on mate.
Stacking the odds includes copying or improving on the successful strategies of clubs like Benfica and for us with no recent history at the top of the game that is not an easy task. I note that Luisao with 44 international caps with Brazil, 300 plus games with Benfica in more than a decade, the ability to communicate in the local language and culture with an odds on ability to also communicate well in Spanish has been following up for Benfica with Enzo Fernandez. We were able to send Mathew Hobbs... Nothing against Mathew. In fact his detailed profile on Linkedin in terms of football recruitment and young players is impressive, but he will need a 'name' to accompany him and a definite ability to communicate in foreign languages if we are to compete with clubs like Benfica for South Americans.
It's going to take a long, long time to crack this unless say, Moutinho becomes our 'name'. We can't expect Jorge Mendes and his mates or even Mathew Hobbs to do everything.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Spot on mate.
Stacking the odds includes copying or improving on the successful strategies of clubs like Benfica and for us with no recent history at the top of the game that is not an easy task. I note that Luisao with 44 international caps with Brazil, 300 plus games with Benfica in more than a decade, the ability to communicate in the local language and culture with an odds on ability to also communicate well in Spanish has been following up for Benfica with Enzo Fernandez. We were able to send Mathew Hobbs... Nothing against Mathew. In fact his detailed profile on Linkedin in terms of football recruitment and young players is impressive, but he will need a 'name' to accompany him and a definite ability to communicate in foreign languages if we are to compete with clubs like Benfica for South Americans.
It's going to take a long, long time to crack this unless say, Moutinho becomes our 'name'. We can't expect Jorge Mendes and his mates or even Mathew Hobbs to do everything.
My partner is brazilian. I'm sure she'd do it :)

Surrey Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Grasshoppers have already started buying japanese players and if they succeed they will come to wolverhampton. They have already bought seko as a centre back.
they've also signed a couple of Chinese players

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Li lei left back who is 29 but looked good.

freezin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would 100% be looking at South America over and above African or players eligible to play for African teams.

To lose key players in the middle of a season to the AFCON can be crippling - look at how Saïss' form (who had arguably been playing the best football of his career) nose dived.

AFCON ran 9th Jan - 6th Feb.
We played 4 games in that period.

Another thing I'd be considering is their faith. If they are a practising Muslim observing Ramadan it is impossible for them to be in peak physical condition for an entire month of the season. There's roughly a 10/12 that Ramadan falls in the domestic season.

For example this year Ramadan ran from 1st April to 1st May. Those games were.

April.

2nd - Wolves 2 - 1 Villa.
(RAN & Saïss bench, did not feature)

8th - Newcastle 1 - 0 Wolves
(RAN on for Marcal, Saïss bench, did not play).

24th - Burnley 1 - 0 Wolves
(Saïss started but was subbed, RAN on the bench, did not play).

30th - Wolves 0 - 3 Brighton. Saïss and RAN both started.

In an interview with Wolves.co.uk RAN said, on all fasting during Ramadan

“It’s ok. It’s not too difficult, I’m still training, I’m still giving as much as I can, and giving the maximum of myself during training.

“For the games, I get an exemption because the games are demanding, but then I will catch up later on with the days I would have missed.”

That means that for over 20% of the season you could potentially have African international players of Muslim faith who are unavailable or not in their best condition. Why would a commercial operation knowingly agree to such limiting factors.

On the flip side the Copa America is contested during our close season (similar to Euros) but travelling for home internationals during the domestic season isn't ideal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom