Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The happy days are here again, hopefully no more repeated arguments, transfer thread

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Perhaps I’m clutching at straws but the Vitoria Guimaraes midfielder we were linked with (Andre Almeida) did not feature in their first pre season friendly game against Braga today.
Played for Portugal's U21s two weeks ago so was always going to start pre-season later unfortunately.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I reckon the club are counting on some of the u23s progressing into the first team and becoming established players.

Will Bruno play them regularly though Andy? Cundle he didnt give much of a chance to after the January window closed after Sellars had said we didnt sign a central midfield player so as Cundle didnt get blocked. He played two games only and didnt get much of a look in despite Neves injury.

The u23's are only any use to the first team if the head coach is prepared to play them regularly rather than just the odd appearance or preferring players out of position.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not a bad idea in principle. Problem is of course than even the best U23 prospect (Cundle) wasn't really trusted by Lage last year, and quite frankly while didn't look out of place, didn't look like making the difference we need players at this level to do.
It might come in due time, but you can't reality carry passengers in the PL.

Just what I think, Danish.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Will Bruno play them regularly though Andy? Cundle he didnt give much of a chance to after the January window closed after Sellars had said we didnt sign a central midfield player so as Cundle didnt get blocked. He played two games only and didnt get much of a look in despite Neves injury.

The u23's are only any use to the first team if the head coach is prepared to play them regularly rather than just the odd appearance or preferring players out of position.
Well said.

Wolfy McWolf-Face

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Great rant but @reanswolf didn't actually say what you accuse him off did he? He actually posted "At the moment even bloody Albion are doing more business than us", fact, but guess you have a super fan badge to polish.

Nope, no super fan badge. Just not resorting to comparing us to the Albion. Our transfer activity is in a whole different league. Well it will be when it happens! I'd hope players we are after are more difficult to sign in terms of them being wanted by many and considered upgrades for us.

Nice that you guys got each others backs though, good job. Forum fwends......

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Isnt that the big elephant in the room about how we are currently being run and a big flaw though? Why are we so tight that we have to raise funds? We are an established premier league club and our owners are currently acting like we are a struggling championship club.

This approach will hardly attract players. In fact I will be amazed if we sign Nunes and this can be bookmarked. Like all these supposed signings recently he will end up elsewhere. Nunes wont wait around whilst we dither.
What people forget is…ok we get 100+ million from the prem every season. That (and the relative pittance from tickets/merch etc) don’t last very long when..
Raul signed an extension before his horrific injury, so the spread would be different. But in the first season he signed permanently, he would be costing approx 14m a year in wages and amortisation.
Semedo probably 10m a year, Fabio at least 7.

Our wage bill is reasonable for a club that finishes where we do, but significant for a club of our size.
It is entirely reasonable for us to be butting against our budget and having to sell to buy.
Liverpool are doing exactly the same on a grander scale, they’re reaping the benefits of rinsing Barca for Coutinho and everyone (Bournemouth in particular) for inflated fees on their fringe and academy players, but they’re still stuck with a massive headache regarding not being able to pay Salah what others will.

Rhoswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nope, no super fan badge. Just not resorting to comparing us to the Albion. Our transfer activity is in a whole different league. Well it will be when it happens! I'd hope players we are after are more difficult to sign in terms of them being wanted by many and considered upgrades for us.

Nice that you guys got each others backs though, good job. Forum fwends......
Couldn't be further from the truth, but that's personal between me and @reanswolf

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

It’s possible that players like Cundle and Toti, and even more so, Silva, could emerge this season in the same way Kilman did last. But I hope we have a contingency plan if they don’t look sharp and ready in pre season, and after prior windows, I am not naive enough to think we have one we can execute successfully.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What people forget is…ok we get 100+ million from the prem every season. That (and the relative pittance from tickets/merch etc) don’t last very long when..
Raul signed an extension before his horrific injury, so the spread would be different. But in the first season he signed permanently, he would be costing approx 14m a year in wages and amortisation.
Semedo probably 10m a year, Fabio at least 7.

Our wage bill is reasonable for a club that finishes where we do, but significant for a club of our size.
It is entirely reasonable for us to be butting against our budget and having to sell to buy.
Liverpool are doing exactly the same on a grander scale, they’re reaping the benefits of rinsing Barca for Coutinho and everyone (Bournemouth in particular) for inflated fees on their fringe and academy players, but they’re still stuck with a massive headache regarding not being able to pay Salah what others will.

Trouble is Liverpool can get away with it as they are an established super club, have a great youth academy. I dont think our club can get away with the self sustaining model for much longer unless we manage to sell a player for 90 million plus and invest all back into the team.

The big concern is if Moutinho doesnt sign a new deal who will be his replacement, who is Saiss replacement? Toti looks decent but has played 4 Premier League games in total.

Even if Moutinho and Neves were to stay we would need a central midfield player and we clearly need another centre back and another striker option.

It could be we have things well organised behind the scenes and plans are in place and players will sign in the coming days but my nagging feeling is this wont be the case and all is not well.

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

The way we're going, Lage may have to.

R

reanswolf

****ing heard it all now. More ambitious than us are they? Better project?

First - nobody has a single clue what we are or are not doing. We haven't announced anyone, sure, doesn't mean things are not getting done.

Second - more business doesn't mean better business.

I'd take our recently failed windows over the most recent Villa ones which were looked upon so jealously.
Stop putting words in my mouth your ****ing *****.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As much as I love Kilman, he's not an academy product. He came from Maidenhead United (Conference South)

We got him from Maidenhead when he was 21.

But that doesn’t matter. He wasn’t signed as a senior player and went into the U23 squad. He is not like Jonny, Semedo, Boly et al. Many of our U23 players are similar - products of another academy or lower league team and brought into our U23 or Grasshoppers team first before graduating to the senior squad.

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They are facts. 90% of newspaper reports are not. Yet people constantly use the 90% bs to criticise and don't mention the facts that show the opposite trends.

Our owners aren't clueless and are working on many deals - most players not even mentioned. Most players who have been mentioned, are not targets.
Yes indeed. And so the fight to regain control of The Mix from the ninny spoilt brats begins.

Long live The Realists!

Last edited:

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s possible that players like Cundle and Toti, and even more so, Silva, could emerge this season in the same way Kilman did last. But I hope we have a contingency plan if they don’t look sharp and ready in pre season, and after prior windows, I am not naive enough to think we have one we can execute successfully.
I think the one I’m most excited about is Chiquinho.

Also really hoping that Neto stays fit and comes of age with a series of 90 minute performances.

Wolf in the sun

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
This mirror article makes me so sad for bruno...he has not been given even one thing he has asked for..been so let down by fosun and jeff...clearly stated how he wanted x amount of players in past two windows...he even said 2 or 3 players this window ..which is less than he wanted orginally...in this article says how important to have players in place for start of preseason....wolves have really let him down and set up for failure...

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This mirror article makes me so sad for bruno...he has not been given even one thing he has asked for..been so let down by fosun and jeff...clearly stated how he wanted x amount of players in past two windows...he even said 2 or 3 players this window ..which is less than he wanted orginally...in this article says how important to have players in place for start of preseason....wolves have really let him down and set up for failure...

That's why he's here though. If he walks he's unlikely to get another job so it's best for him if he stays

Any decent manager would be gone by now

Wolf in the sun

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
That's why he's here though. If he walks he's unlikely to get another job so it's best for him if he stays

I really think he would be decent if backed...frustrating...if fosun dont spend some money this window then they def have lost interest and have other plans for us...almost feel like we have been "parked" while using the brand for other things...ie. esports

Summer_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Actually the last 6 years that Fosun owned us, indicates a high level of professional management competence.

Now not all may be some some fans liking but the club is run with no scandals, no lawsuits, no players mouthing off to the press, no tax or police investigations into financial irregularities.

Let's break this down shall we. If you look at the bare facts, the only time Fosun invested serious money into the club was a) to get promoted and b) when we got promoted, to keep us there in summer 2018. Since then, and every single window after that, we have not strengthened at all, and run an extremely tight ship. As a result, everything has become stale with a deteriorating product on the pitch, whilst at the same time, making fans look mugs and hiking prices. Even in their first season here, yes they took over the club late, but the season was a total mess, and they showed very little evidence that they knew how to run a football club. The more I look at the overall picture of Fosun's time here - yes from 2017-2020 it was a big success on the pitch - but I'm beginning to think they really struck lucky with Nuno, and leaning on Mendes in those early windows has masked and got us by - until now. It is clear as day that the football side to the club is just a means to an end for Fosun, the important investment to them is the brand, the esports, the exposure in China. It depends which angle you are coming from, when you say they have a 'high level of management competence'. On the football side, for the last 3 years, that just has not been the case at all.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
anyone summarise today for me? Still **** all? linked to renan/ almeida and no funds for any of the major targets being nunes

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Maybe he is convinced in his own ability to deliver another top ten finish?

Let's say they don't sell Neves or Adama we have Toti, Mosqura, MGW, Cundle, Chinqiho and at a push Sanderson and a host of assorted u23's and returning loanees.

Not very inspiring I give you, but you would still have Neves and another year of Adama.

I think its more than enough to stay up so he lives to fight another day so to speak. Gives them another year to find a buyer for Neves, Neto, or RAN - then the cycle repeats.

I do actually think we will get some money for Adama, and we have some retained profits so £30/40m spend may well be possible without selling Neves.

I just think the market is yet to start really moving, give it a fortnight and we will start to see a few additions.

But I can't see Bruno walking, he will do want he can with what he is given.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Hold on a sec……
This time last year Bruno and Jeff got to talking about a job coaching Wolves.
I presume over several phone calls, zoom talks, and discussions with agents and lawyers……most likely before they even had a face to face meeting.
Bruno would have been told what the budget would be and what support he could expect. Both men would have laid their cards on the table and what was expected from each of them to the other.
Full disclosure and candour expected from both sides.

Bruno was satisfied and took the job. He knew full well that transfers don’t always come off…..eg, Botman and Sanchez. Bruno also nixed several players he didn’t want……so there was attempts to get Bruno players.

We don’t know if Bruno and Jeff tried to bring players in last January……they may very well have but winter windows are slim pickens.

Since Xmas both Bruno and Jeff have said that if the right playe is available at the right price, thry would try to sign him…..can’t say fairer than that.

Bruno also said that he and Wolves had a list of players they would try to get this window.

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Let's say they don't sell Neves or Adama we have Toti, Mosqura, MGW, Cundle, Chinqiho and at a push Sanderson and a host of assorted u23's and returning loanees.

Not very inspiring I give you, but you would still have Neves and another year of Adama.

I think its more than enough to stay up so he lives to fight another day so to speak. Gives them another year to find a buyer for Neves, Neto, or RAN - then the cycle repeats.

I do actually think we will get some money for Adama, and we have some retained profits so £30/40m spend may well be possible without selling Neves.

I just think the market is yet to start really moving, give it a fortnight and we will start to see a few additions.

Maybe, but there is definitely a disconnect between what he wants (which seems quite reasonable) and what he's being given.

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Anyway, I think we'll have a bostin team for the championship. I'd even extend cutrone's contract for when we get relegated.

Summer_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I'm not so sure, even Bruno as inexperienced as he is as a manager will only put up with so much. My guess is he'll either be let go if we make a poor start or he'll walk pretty early into the season if we've messed around in the window again.

Corporate Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No one is going to walk out when they’d struggle to get another job and/or better opportunity. He’s be better to wait to be sacked and paid off.

Sad but true.
It’s a fairly simple equation.

Lage can bleat and request as much as he like - Shi & Sellars aren’t listening to him and probably remind him that he’s unlikely to get another job if he walks.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yep, it's the first time I've really seen the media understand what most fans are thinking. They've looked beyond the league position and can see what trouble we're in.
Most? I'm not being snidey when l ask for evidence for that. Some folk on social media including here yes, but......

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That's actually a very good article by the Mirror. Quite surprised.
An outside observation of what many mixers have been concerned about. Maybe next week they’ll spring a pleasant surprise on Bruno, who has said virtually nothing since the season ended, apart from

A3wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
That's actually a very good article by the Mirror. Quite surprised.
I wouldn’t mind betting the writer Ben Husband reads MMix or even is a contributor. He appears to be a Wolves fan with Steve Bull on his twitter banner and the text reads so like excerpts of the more articulate posts on here.

Last edited:

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
An outside observation of what many mixers have been concerned about. Maybe next week they’ll spring a pleasant surprise on Bruno, who has said virtually nothing since the season ended, apart from
Given my previous post l would say that "many" (and indeed increasing) is fair comment.

Wolf in the sun

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Hold on a sec……
This time last year Bruno and Jeff got to talking about a job coaching Wolves.
I presume over several phone calls, zoom talks, and discussions with agents and lawyers……most likely before they even had a face to face meeting.
Bruno would have been told what the budget would be and what support he could expect. Both men would have laid their cards on the table and what was expected from each of them to the other.
Full disclosure and candour expected from both sides.

Bruno was satisfied and took the job. He knew full well that transfers don’t always come off…..eg, Botman and Sanchez. Bruno also nixed several players he didn’t want……so there was attempts to get Bruno players.

We don’t know if Bruno and Jeff tried to bring players in last January……they may very well have but winter windows are slim pickens.

Since Xmas both Bruno and Jeff have said that if the right playe is available at the right price, thry would try to sign him…..can’t say fairer than that.

Bruno also said that he and Wolves had a list of players they would try to get this window.
When bruno arrived he said within 3 years we will have the team of our dreams...do u think he would have said thay without certain big promises ,?

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Let's break this down shall we. If you look at the bare facts, the only time Fosun invested serious money into the club was a) to get promoted and b) when we got promoted, to keep us there in summer 2018. Since then, and every single window after that, we have not strengthened at all, and run an extremely tight ship. As a result, everything has become stale with a deteriorating product on the pitch, whilst at the same time, making fans look mugs and hiking prices. Even in their first season here, yes they took over the club late, but the season was a total mess, and they showed very little evidence that they knew how to run a football club. The more I look at the overall picture of Fosun's time here - yes from 2017-2020 it was a big success on the pitch - but I'm beginning to think they really struck lucky with Nuno, and leaning on Mendes in those early windows has masked and got us by - until now. It is clear as day that the football side to the club is just a means to an end for Fosun, the important investment to them is the brand, the esports, the exposure in China. It depends which angle you are coming from, when you say they have a 'high level of management competence'. On the football side, for the last 3 years, that just has not been the case at all.
Some interesting points and definitely some valid ones.
However, I disagree with you when you say since the summer of 2018, every single window since then we haven’t strengthened at all. All the transfer are on record and can be checked any time.

I agree that the last two season performances were terrible although I am sure that Covid had a lot to do with that. Had it not been for that, we may very well had another top 10 finish or a decent cup run.
As for last season, we’ll, yes injuries played a part but I wonder if Bruno is going to be much better this season.

Back
Top Bottom