Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Can anyone explain clearly where we are heading ?

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jeff doesnt care about football. Its about revenue, brand and long term value. As long as we stay up he will be happy. He did not mention ambition, trophies, on pitch progress or anything optimistic. Football is incidental. A means to an end. Nothing more nothing less. All the other videos arent worth watching as the people have no power. Only jeff
That wont attract many aspirational footballers. Cant see the Patricios, Moutinhos and Neves of this period wanting to join

CodsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fosun didn't put a foot wrong up until we bought Silva. They haven't made a decent decision since

We'll be in a relegation battle this season, with relegation a possibility.

Fosun were excellent owners, they're not anymore.
I’m not sure the Zenga era was an unqualified success. I accept that it appeared we were let down at the 11th hour by Lopetegui, but the treatment of Jackett, and the subsequent Zenga shambles, was not a great start. After that, I think we should credit Mendes more than Fosun for much of the next year or so. Credit to Fosun for listening to the advice that was being offered, but I wouldn’t go much further than that.

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fosun didn't put a foot wrong up until we bought Silva. They haven't made a decent decision since

We'll be in a relegation battle this season, with relegation a possibility.

Fosun were excellent owners, they're not anymore.

They made an awful lot of mistakes when they first took over, such as hiring Zenga and bringing in an awful lot of players, some good, some bad, some indifferent but with no clear plan for how to build a coherent team.
They then seemed to learn from this. With Nuno came a clear and measured plan. Most signings where spot on and we developed a clear style of play with most signings fitting into that.

Now we have none of that. There's no distinct style of play (Other than us being incredibly boring), partly because our current headcoach hasn't been able to implement it, or (more likely) he isn't backed to make the changes to the squad necessary to make those changes.

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Do I as a bloke from Wolverhampton enjoy it now more than I did in the 90s? Not really. It’s been ****ing boring in the main, the premier league novelty has worn off….

90/91 - 12th Second Division
91/92 - 10th Second Division

92/93 - 11th First Division (Championship)
93/94 - 8th ‘’ ‘’ ‘’
94/95 - 4th ‘’ ‘’ ‘’
95/96 - 20th. ‘’ ‘’ ‘’
96/97 - 3rd. ‘’ ‘’ “
97/98 - 9th. “ “ “
98/99 - 7th “ “ “
99/00 - 7th “ “ “

Yeah, I can see why you ache and yearn for 90’s football :rolleyes:
I get nostalgia and there were some notable games, especially the night games in the cups but during the 90’s, Molineux could be a vicious place to be. Even towards Sir Jack and his ownership.
So, you either don’t remember the 90’s at Molineux very well or you weren’t there.

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m not sure the Zenga era was an unqualified success. I accept that it appeared we were let down at the 11th hour by Lopetegui, but the treatment of Jackett, and the subsequent Zenga shambles, was not a great start. After that, I think we should credit Mendes more than Fosun for much of the next year or so. Credit to Fosun for listening to the advice that was being offered, but I wouldn’t go much further than that.
Lol… so all the failures are Fosun’s fault and all the successes are anyone but Fosun’s fault.
That there, is some gold plated logic.

:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
90/91 - 12th Second Division
91/92 - 10th Second Division

92/93 - 11th First Division (Championship)
93/94 - 8th ‘’ ‘’ ‘’
94/95 - 4th ‘’ ‘’ ‘’
95/96 - 20th. ‘’ ‘’ ‘’
96/97 - 3rd. ‘’ ‘’ “
97/98 - 9th. “ “ “
98/99 - 7th “ “ “
99/00 - 7th “ “ “

Yeah, I can see why you ache and yearn for 90’s football :rolleyes:
I get nostalgia and there were some notable games, especially the night games in the cups but during the 90’s, Molineux could be a vicious place to be. Even towards Sir Jack and his ownership.
So, you either don’t remember the 90’s at Molineux very well or you weren’t there.
I was there for all those seasons and most away games once I’d turned 16 in 94.

I remember Molineux being toxic, Palace at home and the protests after, Charlton home when the crowd turned on Taylor, McGhee telling the fans to **** off when he subbed Bully.

I also remember the hope when SJH spent some money, beating Bristol on the first day and thinking we were nailed on for promotion, Taylor’s team wining or losing 3-2 or drawing 3-3 every week.

Being a Wolves fan of my age obviously isn’t about glory or trophies. In the 90s it was mainly hope and ultimately disappointment. You always felt that the good times were around the corner even if they really weren’t.

I didn’t say the 90s were better, I said I don’t particularly enjoy the current Wolves anymore than I did those years. I can’t help that it’s just how I feel.

It’s not Fosuns fault really, the reality is I prayed to become an established top division team back then and now we are? well, it’s just not that great for me in terms of hope for winning something, entertainment and the cost of season tickets.

Possibly the above is a little irrational, as I say it’s my personal feelings.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I remember Molineux being toxic, Palace at home and the protests after, Charlton home when the crowd turned on Taylor, McGhee telling the fans to **** off when he subbed Bully.

I also remember the hope when SJH spent some money, beating Bristol on the first day and thinking we were nailed on for promotion, Taylor’s team wining or losing 3-2 or drawing 3-3 every week.

Being a Wolves fan of my age obviously isn’t about glory or trophies. In the 90s it was mainly hope and ultimately disappointment. You always felt that the good times were around the corner even if they really weren’t.

I didn’t say the 90s were better, I said I don’t particularly enjoy the current Wolves anymore than I did those years. I can’t help that it’s just how I feel.

It’s not Fosuns fault really, the reality is I prayed to become an established top division team back then and now we are? well, it’s just not that great for me in terms of hope for winning something, entertainment and the cost of season tickets.

I think the passage of years makes us view things differently maybe. We perhaps feel things deeper or attach more importance to them when younger and realise that there is a bit more to life as we age.

That and the fact that you love Villa ;)

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think the passage of years makes us view things differently maybe. We perhaps feel things deeper or attach more importance to them when younger and realise that there is a bit more to life as we age.

And yon are right, the football currently is dire. At least in the 90s there was more hope that it would improve.

RMNottm

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good reply and I like you’re idea of the Guinness. More better. :)

As for why Fosun bought Wolves……
One reason may have been to make money but it might have only been part of the reason….maybe not the main one. Afterall, Fosun knew far easier ways to make a faster, less complicated return on their money than buying Wolves just for money.

Its very possible that Chinese domestic politics had some part of it. Guo’s arrest may have been a catalyst along with Jinping’s love of football and his wanting a great national side as well as winning the World Cup by 2050.
What better way to curry favour with the boss and maybe avoid another arrest than own a PL club?

And another reason is possibly prestige.

Esports, fashion and music may not have even crossed their minds back in 2016.
I think it was front and centre they mention brand based on the wolf which was a thing china. Esports were well on investors radar jyst how to monetise them.

Reaction score

That's like thanking the shop that your birthday present was bought from rather than the person that bought it.

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Exactly this, the promised land of the Prem means no away games, double the price of a season ticket in the time of a cost of living crisis, losing more games, not getting over the halfway line or having a shot, disconnect from players only being here for 2 seasons.........
Quite funny really isn't it? Like you I couldn't wait to get up and challenging top half of the top flight. Loved Europe and 1st half of Wembley semi weekend.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have read the thread and learned nothing…I am banning myself from posting for a month because of the negativity but also the uninformed posts by a bunch of female pudendas…may you all go forth and multiply …jeez
Here was your chance to post something positive and masculine.

WISAW

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Players joining yoyo clubs like Fulham over established premier league sides. The midlands just isn't attractive enough to certain players and I'm fine with that but was really narks me is our scouting, what's our plan B? Surely there's other non Portuguese targets that could do a good job. Getting so predictable and boring now, much like us on the pitch.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To me, the disconnect between some fans and the club right now is the timeline - it's going to take much longer to break through the top six barrier. We are too impatient for that - we want to see success as soon as possible. And I get that - I mean, it's much more fun to win and follow a club that is making waves in Europe. But, they have overseen the best growth of the club in many years, greatly improved the Academy, and ushered the club through an unprecedented global catastrophe relatively unscathed! So, you should have some confidence in their ability to run a business.

Now, the club is setting itself up for the next step: they are investing into other revenue streams that have a huge potential (eSports); they have converted the club's debt to equity; and they've brought on a minority-share partner from the U.S. Why are these things important? Because it makes the club attractive to other investors (or for a future IPO). This means more dollars. The more revenue generation, the more sponsors that will pay you more money and so on and so forth. Why focus on growing the brand beyond the lifeblood of the support in the "legacy fans" (by the way, he NEVER called them legacy fans)? I would argue it's not because the worldwide fans would buy more Wolves paraphernalia (although that will be true somewhat), it's because there are more eyeballs among younger demographics (i.e., people between the ages of 18 and 40) seeing ads for our sponsors! That's the big revenue stream...

This strategy by the club may or may not work. But, given the rules of the game, it really is our best shot. Even having a sugar daddy like Newcastle won't be enough to sustain a top six position. At some point, the money spigot will be turned off...

Anyway, I think that we have a lot going for us at the club and that we do have our attractive qualities. We're just down the pecking order a bit and in the pond we are fishing in for players - well, they're going to get snap up by the big boys first. Think of the type of players that we need to get to replace Neves or Moutinho or Jimenez...you're not shopping in the Championship, that's for sure.

I'm getting antsy for us to announce some new players - but, that's me being a kid before Christmas and I want to see the shiny new present now! But, I'm an adult and I can wait and see what happens...
September will tell. If we can just move down that list that is fine. We do need at least 4 first teamers.
Unless Traore get a sense of reality, Neves stays , Boly bucks up, Neto and Jimmy get fit , Silva grows up and Podence stops sulking.

Queensland Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Oh great, another ‘lets slag off the club’ thread. Super! :rolleyes:
Until the club shows us the supporters some sign of intention they deserve total slagging off. This is my beloved club Jeff Shi and his bunch of wa….. are playing with. Sick to death of the happy clappers look at how far we’ve come brigade. We are staring PL oblivion as it stands.

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Until the club shows us the supporters some sign of intention they deserve total slagging off. This is my beloved club Jeff Shi and his bunch of wa….. are playing with. Sick to death of the happy clappers look at how far we’ve come brigade. We are staring PL oblivion as it stands.
I think us ‘happy Clappers’ look at the league table and review evidence as proof that we haven’t been relegated, neither are we going bust or Fosun asset stripping the club.
You my friend, and others sharing your dour ‘the sky is falling in’ mantra, are basing your views on Twitter, questionable internet rumours and bull**** media outlets.
We finished 10th last season after you and yours were screaming relegation. Oh but that’s not Fosun, that’s credit to everyone/anyone else but Fosun.
Honestly, if I was caring enough, I’d be ringing up for half a dozen whaaa whaaa whaambulances to take you all to cry baby hospital.

Direwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Oh dear that is a very negative stance to take before the transfer window is even open in most of Europe.

Ironfistedmonk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd be right behind a self sufficiency plan if they were doing it right but I don't think they are, we needed to flesh out the squad for a couple more seasons before we went sell to buy. We don't' have enough saleable assets and are pinning our hopes on someone buying Neves before we can bring anymore players in, if Neves doesn't move we are pretty much relying on MGW going but he won't bring in as much money. We are so light in certain areas that any sale would need more than one player coming in to give us an adequate squad and we haven't replaced the experience we lost in Ruddy, Saiss and Marcal leaving, and possibly the maestro Moutinho (although I think he will sign a new deal now)

We buy from Portugal all the time and these clubs are the epitome of self sufficiency, your Benfica's, Sportings and Portos have prolific youth systems that generate a lot of players for the first team and for sale, they hoover up top talent from Portugal and South America before they gain a reputation and they develop them well, and they move their in demand players on quickly as they always have a succession plan and they have squads big enough to cope with the players they let go each season, we seem to want to follow this model but we are so limited by a small squad and not speculating on enough players.

Queensland Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
I think us ‘happy Clappers’ look at the league table and review evidence as proof that we haven’t been relegated, neither are we going bust or Fosun asset stripping the club.
You my friend, and others sharing your dour ‘the sky is falling in’ mantra, are basing your views on Twitter, questionable internet rumours and bull**** media outlets.
We finished 10th last season after you and yours were screaming relegation. Oh but that’s not Fosun, that’s credit to everyone/anyone else but Fosun.
Honestly, if I was caring enough, I’d be ringing up for half a dozen whaaa whaaa whaambulances to take you all to cry baby hospital.
I understand your view, I just don’t subscribe to it. I think the club is stagnating at best and going backwards at worst. History dictates we will be relegated sooner or later. There is no communication from Shi and or the club, Sellers is either inept or out of his depth. We have no playing style nor any group identity/football philosophy that I see evident.

We ended the season how we will continue in my view.

Where is our driving force ? Our ground is a mess I could go on and on

Show me green shoots of hope indeed point to one single green shoot of hope.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Absolutely true, apart from the Villa bit, and I do admit I have a lot of nostalgia for the 90s, outside of football as well.

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That’s hardly what I said is it. Give over.
“Credit to Fosun for listening to the advice that was being offered, but I wouldn’t go much further than that.”

So you put a limit on credit you’d give Fosun.
Did you not read your post before hitting the reply button?

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Also, it would be interesting to see how Nuno would've faired with the same approach from Fosun as now.
There was good players at the club when he took over obviously but there's no doubt it was

You want to review evidence? Look at the form table for the last 2 months and the fact that at the moment we're 2 players short from the team that started most games last season.

I agree completely that its not all doom and gloom. We probably aren't going bust and we might not get relegated.
But judging from evidence alone signs aren't overly positive either.

Wolf in Kenilworth

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Basically we are being as amateurish as Moxey conducting second and third interviews after we’d sacked Mick.

That’s as scathing as I can be.

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I understand your view, I just don’t subscribe to it. I think the club is stagnating at best and going backwards at worst. History dictates we will be relegated sooner or later. There is no communication from Shi and or the club, Sellers is either inept or out of his depth. We have no playing style nor any group identity/football philosophy that I see evident.

We ended the season how we will continue in my view.

Where is our driving force ? Our ground is a mess I could go on and on

Show me green shoots of hope indeed point to one single green shoot of hope.
So, genuine questions and not trying to be argumentative.
Hypothetically, we sign no-one, keep Neves and we end up finishing 8th. Is that progress? Or is it European qualifying that’s the only goal.
What if we signed Nunes & Paulinha but finished 11th. Is that stagnation or the normal ebb and flow of football?
If we make Europa League one season and not the next, is that stagnation or just the normal ebb and flow of football?
It seems to me that there’s an misguided apprehension that success is a single linear line shooting upwards. Obviously that’s not the case, so I just don’t understand the constant negativity. It’s not that it’s just tedious but it’s mostly founded on rumours, assumptions and bull****. Even back when Moxey was here, the club have never done their business in public. Yet to a man, you believe absolutely everything that could be negative about the club. It’s crazy!!!
For the record, I wanted Lage sacked at the end of the season so I’d hardly call myself a happy clapper. He wasn’t, so we’re stuck with him regardless but I don’t keep banging on about wanting him sacked.

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
League 1 obviously....

Another thread moaning about the club....

Just plain ignorance of what had been achieved over the last 5/6 years........

Just don't like it right now cos we're not signing players left right and centre so I'll Question the club as a whole...

Please lord! Try and save these guys!!!

I don't even believe in god and I'm still hoping he/she/it can send some perspective and gratitude down over some

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Also, it would be interesting to see how Nuno would've faired with the same approach from Fosun as now.
There was good players at the club when he took over obviously but there's no doubt it was

You want to review evidence? Look at the form table for the last 2 months and the fact that at the moment we're 2 players short from the team that started most games last season.

I agree completely that its not all doom and gloom. We probably aren't going bust and we might not get relegated.
But judging from evidence alone signs aren't overly positive either.
You look at the two months before March and we’re Champions League! It’s probably a weird idea but I generally look at the season as a whole rather than a PYO section of results.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hypothetically, we sign no-one, keep Neves and we end up finishing 8th. Is that progress? Or is it European qualifying that’s the only goal.
What if we signed Nunes & Paulinha but finished 11th. Is that stagnation or the normal ebb and flow of football?
If we make Europa League one season and not the next, is that stagnation or just the normal ebb and flow of football?
It seems to me that there’s an misguided apprehension that success is a single linear line shooting upwards. Obviously that’s not the case, so I just don’t understand the constant negativity. It’s not that it’s just tedious but it’s mostly founded on rumours, assumptions and bull****. Even back when Moxey was here, the club have never done their business in public. Yet to a man, you believe absolutely everything that could be negative about the club. It’s crazy!!!
For the record, I wanted Lage sacked at the end of the season so I’d hardly call myself a happy clapper. He wasn’t, so we’re stuck with him regardless but I don’t keep banging on about wanting him sacked.
Hear hear!

Queensland Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
My opinion is based in fact. If there is one green shoot it could be Lage but thetecagain
Perversely they aren’t giving him a chance to succeed by not even getting close to giving him the tools.

I’m not sure if we are arguing really as my initial points stand. Where are we as a club, what are we, who are we?

I can’t answer any of those definitively as I see no evidence rom the club of anything other than stagnation as I said before

Where is the excitement? What am I supposed to look forward to? Where is any inspiration a all

You can say everything is ok till the cows come home but you and I both know it isn’t alright is it???

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You look at the two months before March and we’re Champions League! It’s probably a weird idea but I generally look at the season as a whole rather than a PYO section of results.

True...
I wonder what happened in late January that made our squad weaker?

I agree we need to look at the season as a whole, and generally we played quite poorly for most of last season. We managed to get the necessary points but overall there weren't many highlights.
Also as a mentioned we're so far 2 players weaker from last season. Yes Moutinho is still Wolves player for a few days yet and yes Toti can probably replace Saiss but still..

I'm not a complete pessimist though. I do think we've the makings of a really good team. A new defender enabling us to play 4 at the back,1 (2 if Neves leaving) midfielders, one being more mobile and attacking minded and I'd be a lot more optimistic..

Richboxy

Groupie
Reaction score
I’m very worried about the season ahead. Our last 17 games of last season were horrendous and I don’t think we’ll be starting the new season with a better team than we finished last season with. Hope I’m wrong.

Attachments

• 5CB89929-3F5A-4DE0-B635-76FDFC2BCD29.jpeg
    5CB89929-3F5A-4DE0-B635-76FDFC2BCD29.jpeg
    431.7 KB · Views: 22

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You say fans don’t know why Fosun bought Wolves. Nonsense. It was to make money.

Ultimately the yardstick for success in Fosuns eyes is how much money they make. They are an investment company, I get that. Having a premier league football team is great for the Sports Group that Jeffs heads up.

They want to use the brand, name, badge to push and promote esports around the world and to a lesser extent fashion, record labels etc.

You say they want European football. Do they? Is the cost of getting there consistently worth it to them? To do that means spending millions on players. I see little evidence over the last 2/3 years that’s part of the plan. The financial rewards of the Europa conference are minimal.

Jeff seems baffled that folk are annoyed at the dull football of the last 2+ years. I don’t blame him to be honest, he sees the progress of the esports and doesn’t get why people like me aren’t as excited as him. Why would he? He’d probably never even heard of Wolverhampton Wanderers 6 years ago.

At the end of the day they wanted a premier league club and got one. Is being midtable premier league better than the previous 40 years? Of course on paper it is. Do I as a bloke from Wolverhampton enjoy it now more than I did in the 90s? Not really. It’s been ****ing boring in the main, the premier league novelty has worn off, the costs have gone through the roof and the reality of the glass ceiling has long since kicked in.

I’m keeping quiet on the transfer window till it’s over, they may surprise me, but I doubt it. Would imagine they were banking on 60 mil for Neves coming in to cover any expenditure. I reckon the lack of interest in Rueben (****ing brilliant player) is a big concern to Jeff and his self sustainable model.

Anyway had a great night, loads of Guiness, and finishing off with a few Glenmorangie at home. Up the Wolves.
The bit about so I enjoy it as much is absolutely spot on. We are finally here, and its pretty crap all things considered, the thing is, that the thought of going back down is even more dreadful, so we are sort of ****ing in the wind currently.

Beeches wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Honestly think anyone still thinking we are going to break into a top six needs to come back down to earth. The big six, despite a few of them having rocky spells are absolutely miles ahead of us and lets not forget what Newcastle are trying to do and how Leicester have already built a solid base. Also only a matter of time before another club is taken over by multibillionaires happy to throw money at it.
We had a crack at trying to break into the top six for a couple of seasons.
Until the owners realised that financially its so difficult to complete.
The baton has now been passed onto Newcastle, it will be interesting to see how they fare at gate crashing the closed shop 6 ,and good luck to them they will need it.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Absolutely true, apart from the Villa bit, and I do admit I have a lot of nostalgia for the 90s, outside of football as well.
Me too being born in the 70s. Life seemed simpler, summers were better, I had more hair, beer was cheaper....

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lol… so all the failures are Fosun’s fault and all the successes are anyone but Fosun’s fault.
That there, is some gold plated logic.

:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:
Fosun should rightly get all the credit and all the flak.
They are the number one decision makers.
Mendes was employed by them, Nuno was employed by them , Sellars is employed by them and Silva and Neves is employed by them.

Direwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Being a fat ******* that has eaten much too many exceedingly good cakes. I like to rely on a few wordies to get me through early transfer windows and as this thread is about vision which some posters are clearly lacking. I thought I would post something about perseverance and (in Nuno's immortal words) staying humble.

'If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don’t deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look to good nor talk too wise:'

Reaction score
But is that Leeds, Brighton, Southampton ,Nottingham Forrest , Palace , West Ham or Leicester saying that ?
Well West Ham and Leicester have pretty decent ground facilities but yeah pretty much the same, we are a part of the also rans. Still better than where we were, Fosun have dragged us from lower league obscurity to premier league also rans. That’s a marked improvement I don’t deny the success they have had.

I know that doesn’t fit the narrative when someone criticises fosun but they have done many good things for the club and a fiscally responsible approach is hard to argue with, though now there is a clear disconnect now between Jeff and a portion of the wolves fans Because the football is boring the fosun approach is boring the transfer windows have been boring the stadium talk is just talk and that’s boring.

Back
Top Bottom