Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The happy days are here again, hopefully no more repeated arguments, transfer thread

Lobo de Ouro

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I commend us for trying, and I'd love to see him in a Wolves shirt, but I'd bet my house that this won't happen. I actually think we'd be a pretty good move for him. Pay increase, good environment, chance to adjust to English football, potential shop window etc

I'd put our chances at around 40%... so if you're gonna bet your house, make sure you stand to win a house twice as big...

CologneWolf

Reaction score
thats basically what jeff shi said. he didnt mention trophies or striving to win or even football very much. all they want is premier league stability and revenue growth through the brand.
I don’t see the big deal.

In Manchester United’s case they are a giant of world football and at that end of the scale with an income like their’s, one should expect them to be challenging for league titles and cups year upon year. So the criticism and discontent coming from their fan base is warranted.

I think many put too much weight into what is said by the club at any one point. Initially it had been “We want to be a top 6 club.” Last summer it was Jeff saying “Trust us.”

The current quote which has been recited ad nauseam is “Bruno said he wanted all incomings sorted before pre-season starts.”

It reminds me of when my partner and I have a disagreement and she fixates on the one minor related detail I have mentioned in the past that then becomes the crux of her argument.

Is there really something so deplorable about stating we want to achieve stability and grow revenue as a minimum?

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fair points but I still maintain we don’t play in such a way that helps our forwards. All too often they are on their own as we rarely overload the opposition penalty box except at set pieces.

We have become a very negative one dimensional side which has always relied on one or two players for our goals. Very many of us frequently asked the question as to where our goals would come from if Raul got injured or lost form.

Agree! Our midfield aren't the best at being able to play that way, they are much better at supporting the defence than the attack. I don't think it's one thing or the other, but many causes. If we got a dynamic creative midfielder in, still think we'd be at the lower end of the "Goals For" column. All that would happen would be what we saw in the first 3 games last season - more chances wasted.

TheTwoPigeons

Groupie
Reaction score
Not good that we repeatedly end up getting linked with players and then later find out that we can't agree personal or financial terms. Story of our last four transfer windows with Palinha, Sanches, Bottas, Djemba, Caleta Car and now Nunes.

Maybe this is what happens at every club, but I haven't seen these types of stories for Villa for example who have done their business quickly.

Either we're really bad at doing this, or we're bad at this sort of information getting leaked. I suspect honestly it's a bit of both.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Our comms have been poor at times. I think the Ask Wolves pieces are good but are once a year. I would still not expect them to talk about transfer business even generally
No not transfer business specifics , but all we are getting is business speak about e commerce and financial sustainability.
Can you imagine any other retail company just pushing their business plan
What type of rebuild are we planning, none ? What type of ground facilities are we planning and when are these now due.
Uplifting general messages, at the moment it appears we are aimless on the football front.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But....what's the point? Until we are floated? Fosun aren't particularly bothered about what is legacy lads think, so why would they hire a PR agency to spin stuff?
Assuming that is not rhetoric, the reason is to attract sponsorship, attract journalistic positivity, attract players and then an expanding universal support base . ;)

bennymacca

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I'm horrified to report that ever since I started following the new Athletic reporter for Wolves, Steve Madeley on twitter to get snippets of transfer news and speculation, that my twitter feed has filled with WBA related news. This has to stop!

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Our comms have been poor at times. I think the Ask Wolves pieces are good but are once a year. I would still not expect them to talk about transfer business even generally
The thing is Ask Wolves is quite technical and a bit intense. This is about the public, PUBLIC RELATIONS.
Surely if any business needs the soft skills of PR it is a Premier League Football Club run by hardened business men
I cant imagine many Tescos customers watching "Ask Tescos" explaining there philosophy on staff recruitment, baking bread, filling shelves , cross-product promotions and Net Present Value accounting methods . ZZZZZZZ

cannockwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I'm horrified to report that ever since I started following the new Athletic reporter for Wolves, Steve Madeley on twitter to get snippets of transfer news and speculation, that my twitter feed has filled with WBA related news. This has to stop!
is that why i have had a ton of wba crap on my feed?

Flaneur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not to mention the fact that 90% of his own tweets aren’t even Wolves related, even since taking over Spiers, hate to say it but he’s doing my head in already.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Going to have to stop checking - seems another slow day - maybe we will have some more news monday/ tuesday next week. At least its the 1st on Friday and European window is open

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
R
Going to have to stop checking - seems another slow day - maybe we will have some more news monday/ tuesday next week. At least its the 1st on Friday and European window is open
You'd think the transfer windows would be coordinated. Maybe that's too difficult.

modenawolf

Reaction score
I think we'll see some action next week if some teams need to sell players to raise funds before the end of the month.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not to mention the fact that 90% of his own tweets aren’t even Wolves related, even since taking over Spiers, hate to say it but he’s doing my head in already.

Tim would sometimes annoy me, but nowhere near as much as this new guy. The criticism I had of Spiers was that his articles were sometimes too much of his own opinions on Wolves, so articles were slanted towards that.

This guy doesn't really know anything about us, so is the complete other end of the spectrum, which is much worse. Add to that the basic errors in his reporting and I think my Athletic subscription will be ending when my £1 per month deal is up!

He wrote an article recently that said Dendoncker's contract expires in June 2023, meaning he can leave for free next summer, without even a mention that the club hold a year's option, meaning that would never, ever happen.

He also stated that Joao Moutinho is technically no longer a Wolves player, as his contract has expired, when he is still under contract until 30th June, so technically, the complete opposite is true.

I don't think it is much of an ask for journalists to get the easy facts right.

Coleshill Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
I've been the same... Came back from Greece yesterday and all through the holiday was blocking everything related to that lot !!!

D

Deleted member sbk12944

You'd think the transfer windows would be coordinated. Maybe that's too difficult.
If we went back to when there was no transfer window I’m pretty certain the line “it’s a difficult time of year to get transfers done” would be trotted out.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Tim would sometimes annoy me, but nowhere near as much as this new guy. The criticism I had of Spiers was that his articles were sometimes too much of his own opinions on Wolves, so articles were slanted towards that.

This guy doesn't really know anything about us, so is the complete other end of the spectrum, which is much worse. Add to that the basic errors in his reporting and I think my Athletic subscription will be ending when my £1 per month deal is up!

He wrote an article recently that said Dendoncker's contract expires in June 2023, meaning he can leave for free next summer, without even a mention that the club hold a year's option, meaning that would never, ever happen.

He also stated that Joao Moutinho is technically no longer a Wolves player, as his contract has expired, when he is still under contract until 30th June, so technically, the complete opposite is true.

I don't think it is much of an ask for journalists to get the easy facts right.
Completely agree on every single point.

Shall so be letting my account expire after the £1 deal finishes. Slapdash so far.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is whats going to happen, when they rock up for pre season, (shi is going to bring a van, and three new players are going to come out and they will be announced)

(lad called Leo bonatini, patrick cutrone and gibbs white)

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not good that we repeatedly end up getting linked with players and then later find out that we can't agree personal or financial terms. Story of our last four transfer windows with Palinha, Sanches, Bottas, Djemba, Caleta Car and now Nunes.

Maybe this is what happens at every club, but I haven't seen these types of stories for Villa for example who have done their business quickly.

Either we're really bad at doing this, or we're bad at this sort of information getting leaked. I suspect honestly it's a bit of both.
Or - shock - the level of players we are now trying to sign really don't want to come here. Prefer a higher profile club and / or a major European city.

goldfish

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've been the same... Came back from Greece yesterday and all through the holiday was blocking everything related to that lot !!!

Since taking over from Spiers, Madeley's tweeted/retweeted/quote tweeted 60 times. Of those:
  • 30 are about Wolves
  • 20 are about other stuff (mostly England football or the cricket)
  • 7 are promoting non-Wolves Athletic content
  • 1 is about Walsall
  • 2 acknowledging the end of his time covering WBA
I've excluded replies because you only see those if you also follow the person he's replying to.

modenawolf

Reaction score

We're now aiming so high that we're trying to sign F1 drivers! ;)

Jayjaywolves

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Chisels_n_ommers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Interesting piece in the Athletic today, talking about what has gone wrong at Manchester United. Here's a quote. Wolves fans may see similarities...

It was during one of Manchester United’s quarterly conference calls with investors in 2018 when Ed Woodward, the club’s former executive vice-chairman, uttered the phrase he was never able to shake off.

“Playing performance doesn’t really have a meaningful impact on what we can do on the commercial side of the business,” Woodward said.
Dividend day for the Glazers today - another £11m out to keep the wolf from the door.

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
This guy has 20 followers and registered his account this month. I appreciate that people like to hear rumours from all sorts of sources, but I wish people would use at a least a small modicum of common sense before posting any old tat from social media. I could honestly go onto to Twitter right now, register an account called TransferGuru and post that Wolves are tracking some bloke from Portugal and you can almost guarantee someone would link to it on here.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The thing is Ask Wolves is quite technical and a bit intense. This is about the public, PUBLIC RELATIONS.
Surely if any business needs the soft skills of PR it is a Premier League Football Club run by hardened business men
I cant imagine many Tescos customers watching "Ask Tescos" explaining there philosophy on staff recruitment, baking bread, filling shelves , cross-product promotions and Net Present Value accounting methods . ZZZZZZZ
The thing is they do do a lot of social media and comms. Probably get an email a day at least and several Twitter notifications from preparing the new pitch, goals scored on this day, etc etc. but because, as fans, we are only interested in transfers at this time it goes over our head. The club (Jeff) said last year he’s not going to do a weekly or monthly press interview or press release.

WV4 Wolves

Reaction score
Not overly bothered about Palhinha if we're not moving to 4 at the back or if Neves isn't going I don't think we need him personally. Wouldn't need him and Coady. Because he normally plays deeper that would be like 6 having at the back! If Neves does go he would of been a good replacement if we continue with 5 at the back.

Has_Talisca_Signed

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
If we left Palhinha to go to Fulham because we were looking at Nunes then that’s absolutely fine.

It only becomes a problem when Fulham sign Palhinha and we DONT manage to get Nunes.

Which is unfortunately what is happening.

Don’t see why people get really angry though.

Axle

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Interesting piece in the Athletic today, talking about what has gone wrong at Manchester United. Here's a quote. Wolves fans may see similarities...

It was during one of Manchester United’s quarterly conference calls with investors in 2018 when Ed Woodward, the club’s former executive vice-chairman, uttered the phrase he was never able to shake off.

“Playing performance doesn’t really have a meaningful impact on what we can do on the commercial side of the business,” Woodward said.

To many United fans, those words summed up everything that had gone wrong at their club: achieving success on the pitch was no longer deemed to be a priority. It was about maximising revenue through multiple sponsorships across the globe.
Bizarre that when you think that the exposure that these multinationals crave is being associated with success: what good is it being sponsored by Chevrolet when you're not reaching a full European market (and not even CL?)

This kind of cognitive dissonance and almost pathological separation from reality is the kind of thing that leads to the use of synthetic financial 'instruments' like CDOs and over-leveraging.

You would think as business people, this would be their first consideration. Instead it's just dislocation from any kind of norm or normed behaviour.

Frightening in many ways.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s a short summer, but it’s certainly starting to look that way, and that’s not what Lage said he wanted. I really do wonder what Lage thinks, when he keeps making statements about what he wants from upcoming windows, and keeps getting anything but that? If it were me, I’d find that highly demotivating.
We are dismissing the possibility that deals are already set up or even done. Maybe on Tuesday signings will be announced when they report for training.

Remember while we were all poopooing the Neves signing as unrealistic he suddenly released the new away kit?

"Wolves hay we"

D

Deleted member sbk12944

If we left Palhinha to go to Fulham because we were looking at Nunes then that’s absolutely fine.

It only becomes a problem when Fulham sign Palhinha and we DONT manage to get Nunes.

Angry is quite a raw emotion and can be changed quite easily, the real problem will be if apathy sets in.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Maybe all the talk of Nunes and Fernandez is a smokescreen. Perhaps signings will appear from nowhere like the good old days.

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
Since taking over from Spiers, Madeley's tweeted/retweeted/quote tweeted 60 times. Of those:
  • 30 are about Wolves
  • 20 are about other stuff (mostly England football or the cricket)
  • 7 are promoting non-Wolves Athletic content
  • 1 is about Walsall
  • 2 acknowledging the end of his time covering WBA
I've excluded replies because you only see those if you also follow the person he's replying to.
I guess his account slightly different from Spiers because he has had his personal account on Twitter since 2009. Spiers account was originally an E&S Twitter handle so he was expected only to Tweet about Wolves stuff. It might be wise for Madeley to stick to Wolves content from now on, but it's up to him really. He's using his Twitter to promote his Athletic stuff now and again, promote other Athletic articles, and also Tweet on his other interests and views. That's fine, he's allowed to Tweet about what he likes just like anyone else is. If someone doesn't like it they can unfollow him and just get his Wolves related stuff on The Athletic if they want to. His account wasn't started by, or owned by The Athletic so he can Tweet about what he likes. I appreciate this will annoy some people, especially the 'Stick to football ' crowd who seem to always get annoyed by football accounts like Gary Lineker tweeting about non football stuff they don't agree with. Yet they feel they can post anything they want that's not related to their job or profession on their own personal accounts. Maybe slightly different with football journalists like Madeley but the principle still stands. He doesn't have to just tweet what Wolves fans want him to. He can Tweet what he likes and anyone is free to unfollow or ignore him.

Back
Top Bottom