Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Vitinha

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Actually the statement was that we don't give them the best chance due to a rigid system and playing them in roles they are not suited for. The majority are set up to fail and then tossed aside. Maybe go back and have a re-read.

You said that was a big part of the issue but your actual statement Was Wolves have been terrible at giving young players a chance in recent years. I disagree And would say it’s much improved when compared to a pre-fosun era.

tamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You said that was a big part of the issue but your actual statement Was Wolves have been terrible at giving young players a chance in recent years. I disagree And would say it’s much improved when compared to a pre-fosun era.

No I didn't. I said they get mismanaged when they get chances and shoehorned in, then get dropped and frustrated.

You're making up what I have said now to suit your own narrative.

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s a reach to include Neves & Jota in there, as we weren’t giving them a chance, they were giving us a chance. Far too good to join a team like ours at the time & they essentially risked their career to do it.
Maybe. Hoever, they are players they are now because Wolves gave them a chance - it works both ways. Neither were starting for their clubs and even after great season in the Championship for Jota we were allowed to buy him. It demonstrates that, in every league, its a safety first approach taken when it comes to introduction of young players As league position is paramount and the easy way is to go tried and trusted.

I would argue that if we go the way we seem to be going at the moment in the transfer market there will be plent of opportunities for young players to shine

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No I didn't. I said they get mismanaged when they get chances and shoehorned in, then get dropped and frustrated.

“We have been terrible as a club at bringing through young players in recent years and a big part of that is because they are shoehorned into specific roles as part of a rigid formation and style of play, whether it suits them or not”

thats exactly what you said

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You mean the Nuno that brought Kilman into the squad and gave him his debut and then started to feed him into the first team?

The latter point feels a bit like stating the obvious, look at Jota’s improved goal record at Liverpool, and he was excellent for us.

The same Nuno who dropped kilman when he had been playing really well in games like Liverpool and once the week or two weeks after a motm in a televised game, to bring back in a sais who was inconsistent and costing goals with sloppy errors.

Nuno had his favourites and it made it look impossible to break in unless he loved you.

tamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
“We have been terrible as a club at bringing through young players in recent years and a big part of that is because they are shoehorned into specific roles as part of a rigid formation and style of play, whether it suits them or not”

thats exactly what you said

So where does that say that young players aren't given chances at all, which is what you said was my main point?

You have also taken that quote out of context, when the whole post was about Vitinha being played out of position on the wing or as a forward in most of his first team chances.

I can see a pattern emerging in your 'debating skills', so don't worry about replying with some made up point you claim I was making; I will leave it there.

Last edited:

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Changing our style of play is the single most important thing we have to do. The potential knock-on effects are massive.

We have no money so the only way we’re going to ever progress is through sales. We need to sell big maybe every year to properly refresh the squad.

However playing the way we do is a massive hindrance to any good player we have.

Our attackers do not score goals. I mentioned before, Neto’s ‘amazing’ breakthrough season saw him score 5 goals and get 6 assists. This goal return was comfortably beaten by many players including the likes of Matheus Pereira (11G, 6A), Anwar El Ghazi (10G), Jack Harrison (8G, 8A), Bertrand Traore (7G, 6A), Stuart Dallas (8G, 2A). I could go on. A lot of average players outscored him.

Now, as a top club, can you really justify an outlay of £40m upwards on a player who has scored five goals? I don't think so.

In reality, we may want even more for Neto moving forward. We are not getting a substantial fee for him unless he is getting double figures for goals and assists.

Who else is worth a lot in our squad? Maybe Kilman potentially, particularly with the England tax that could come with it.

A top club is not going to buy a defender from us because our players show none of the qualities that they look for. It's about pushing up, defending bravely, nicking in front of strikers etc. The truth is we don't even know ourselves if Kilman can do this at our level, never mind at a top club because he is so well protected.

Brighton sell Ben White for £50m because Arsenal knew he could play in the way they want. Now, he's obviously a good player but surely Kilman could get to that price or near to it. He's English, he's left footed (which is a positive) but we won't attract those bids because they don't know if Kilman can play that way.

We are struggling to sell Ruben Neves in a world where Kalvin Phillips is going for £55-60m to Manchester City.

I don't mind Phillips, he's quite good. However, he is not a patch on Neves as a footballer but he will command a massive fee because he has shown with Leeds he can play in a way that top clubs want. He can screen the defence in an attack-minded side. He can cover holes when the full-backs are up the pitch. He can set the tempo on his own from the deep position. Of course, he has the English tax but the reality is that Leeds are standing to benefit because they try to replicate what the big sides do and they will get a big fee as a result.

Staying with them, Raphinha has given them 6G, 9A and then 11G, 3A over two seasons. The result - they have a £50m player.

I was going to start a thread as this may take away from Vitinha but it was his move to PSG that reinforced this.

I'm not too upset that we didn't sign him because he didn't look great but he clearly is good as he's just won the Portuguese league and is going to PSG! So, you have to ask why didn't he look great? And it comes back to the style of play.

We had a £40m player in our hands but we didn't give him the platform to perform. That's a worry. It's also a collective failing of Shi, Sellars and Nuno.

I look at Morgan Gibbs-White and I see a player that could potentially be worth £40-50m if we get things right. I see Neto who could be worth the same. I see Podence who could potentially play at a higher level even if he doesn't have the ceiling of those two.

We have Silva who in theory should be progressing to become a £50m player minimum but he didn't score a goal. Again, I don't really blame him. None of our attacking players score. Are they all bad? I doubt it.

Ait-Nouri is another but again in the modern game it's likely to be his attacking output that convinces clubs to make the massive bid that we will need. He has two goals and three assists in 44 league games. He should be capable of so much more.

If that means giving less defensive responsibility, it has to happen.
It probably means no more back three, although I accept you can attack with a back three if you want but we need as many of these players on the pitch as possible.

If we have to sacrifice a few league positions, so what? Obviously, relegation would be a disaster but that's the worst case scenario but I actually have faith in our attacking players to make sure that wouldn't happen.

Even so, if it means coming 17th but playing attacking football it will be worthwhile. Leeds may be in the same boat as us when it comes to sell-to-buy but they're having a better summer than us because they have bigger assets to cash in on. We don't, so it becomes a cycle. No big sale means no big investment and things get worse and worse.

We need to embrace the fact we're about to become a selling club because that's our reality but it can still work but to do it successfully we need big sales and changing the way we play is pivotal to making that happen. Dortmund and Leipzig are probably the dream clubs to emulate long-term and guess what, they play all-out attacking football.

The likes of Kilman, Ait-Nouri, Neto, Gibbs-White and Silva are going to determine our future. They need to play in a front foot, attacking team to ensure we can progress in the short-term but also when we sell them.

(Apologies for the very long post & well done if you managed to read it all :D)

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So where does that say that young players aren't given chances at all, which is what you said was my main point?
to bring players through, which you say we are terrible at, you have to give them a chance (not sure where you got “at all” from I never said that) and we do give players chances - some work out some dont. Wolves give young players more chances under Fosun, Prior to them it was Murray, Keane Naylor and Lescott over a span of years and years.

Quite funny that you complain about misquoting you (which I didnt) and then make up something I said in the same post.

Probably best to leave it there as you say as it really wasnt much of a debate.

Last edited:

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
No secret that I was hugely disappointed when we didn’t sign Vitinha. Thought he showed glimpses of genuine quality, giving our best individual performance last season against Albion and being the standout player of the European Under-21 Championship. Saw him as the ideal long-term replacement for Moutinho and someone we could build our midfield around over the next 5 years.

Having said that, I don’t actually think there is anyone to blame here.

The Recruitment Team obviously fancied him and I’m reliably informed would have liked to have signed him, only to be told by the player himself that he wasn’t interested given his experience here.

Don’t remotely blame the player for feeling that way given how infrequently he was played here (and even more infrequently in his best position).

And I don’t even blame Nuno for not giving him that many more opportunities. We started the season well and it was going to be tough to bring him in ahead of Neves and Moutinho. By the time he did start to get some game time, we had lost Raul and were in the middle of a catastrophic run of 5 points from 11 games and in danger of being sucked into a relegation battle.

In the scenario, whilst I would have personally given him more game time, I can understand Nuno’s thinking that he wanted to stick with more experienced, battle-hardened players that he knew and trusted.

Hugely frustrating as I think he will go on to be a top-class player but just one of those situations where the stars didn’t quite align correctly.

Streathamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No secret that I was hugely disappointed when we didn’t sign Vitinha. Thought he showed glimpses of genuine quality, giving our best individual performance last season against Albion and being the standout player of the European Under-21 Championship. Saw him as the ideal long-term replacement for Moutinho and someone we could build our midfield around over the next 5 years.

The Recruitment Team obviously fancied him and I’m reliably informed would have liked to have signed him, only to be told by the player himself that he wasn’t interested given his experience here.

Don’t remotely blame the player for feeling that way given how infrequently he was played here (and even more infrequently in his best position).

And I don’t even blame Nuno for not giving him that many more opportunities. We started the season well and it was going to be tough to bring him in ahead of Neves and Moutinho. By the time he did start to get some game time, we had lost Raul and were in the middle of a catastrophic run of 5 points from 11 games and in danger of being sucked into a relegation battle.

In the scenario, whilst I would have personally given him more game time, I can understand Nuno’s thinking that he wanted to stick with more experienced, battle-hardened players that he knew and trusted.

Hugely frustrating as I think he will go on to be a top-class player but just one of those situations where the stars didn’t quite align correctly.
Yep, spot on. Blame certainly won't change what was an unfortunate combination of circumstances

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes I am.
Chiquinho has joined late and has got time and immediately looked good (unlike Vitinha).
Gomes has played and looked good - id argue he should be playing in front of Boly.
Neves was on the bench when we bought him , not in the first team and was sold - thats a good buy giving a youngster a chance.
Jota wasnt playing for Porto he was at Atletico and nowhere near Atleticos first team.

No-one walks into a team it has to be earnt. You assertation that Wolves don't give chances you youngsters isn't correct - they do have to grasp the chance though
Well said!

We'd also signed silva for 35m, had Ait Nouri to secure and also Vitinha. We over cooked the funds needed on signing potential and vitinha just didn't look like he would make an impact first team wise, certainly not like ait nouri did plus we had cundle doing very well in the lower ranks and coming through.

I guarantee that if vitinha had performed like. Cundle did against spurs on his debut there would have been so much more made of it on here. Cundle was superb and looks a player, a player who has done well and shown why perhaps, along with vitinha not really that convinced on wanting to come anyway that we didn't necessarily make a bad decision based on how they were both adapting to the English game.

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Again, well said.

It's easy to forget the circumstances the team/club were in at a time when a young unexperienced player was craving first team action.

Sometimes its just not the right time and this was perhaps one of those

Bill McCai

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We had the option to sign Vitinha, we chose not to exercise it.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Changing our style of play is the single most important thing we have to do. The potential knock-on effects are massive.

We have no money so the only way we’re going to ever progress is through sales. We need to sell big maybe every year to properly refresh the squad.

However playing the way we do is a massive hindrance to any good player we have.

Our attackers do not score goals. I mentioned before, Neto’s ‘amazing’ breakthrough season saw him score 5 goals and get 6 assists. This goal return was comfortably beaten by many players including the likes of Matheus Pereira (11G, 6A), Anwar El Ghazi (10G), Jack Harrison (8G, 8A), Bertrand Traore (7G, 6A), Stuart Dallas (8G, 2A). I could go on. A lot of average players outscored him.

Now, as a top club, can you really justify an outlay of £40m upwards on a player who has scored five goals? I don't think so.

In reality, we may want even more for Neto moving forward. We are not getting a substantial fee for him unless he is getting double figures for goals and assists.

Who else is worth a lot in our squad? Maybe Kilman potentially, particularly with the England tax that could come with it.

A top club is not going to buy a defender from us because our players show none of the qualities that they look for. It's about pushing up, defending bravely, nicking in front of strikers etc. The truth is we don't even know ourselves if Kilman can do this at our level, never mind at a top club because he is so well protected.

Brighton sell Ben White for £50m because Arsenal knew he could play in the way they want. Now, he's obviously a good player but surely Kilman could get to that price or near to it. He's English, he's left footed (which is a positive) but we won't attract those bids because they don't know if Kilman can play that way.

We are struggling to sell Ruben Neves in a world where Kalvin Phillips is going for £55-60m to Manchester City.

I don't mind Phillips, he's quite good. However, he is not a patch on Neves as a footballer but he will command a massive fee because he has shown with Leeds he can play in a way that top clubs want. He can screen the defence in an attack-minded side. He can cover holes when the full-backs are up the pitch. He can set the tempo on his own from the deep position. Of course, he has the English tax but the reality is that Leeds are standing to benefit because they try to replicate what the big sides do and they will get a big fee as a result.

Staying with them, Raphinha has given them 6G, 9A and then 11G, 3A over two seasons. The result - they have a £50m player.

I was going to start a thread as this may take away from Vitinha but it was his move to PSG that reinforced this.

I'm not too upset that we didn't sign him because he didn't look great but he clearly is good as he's just won the Portuguese league and is going to PSG! So, you have to ask why didn't he look great? And it comes back to the style of play.

We had a £40m player in our hands but we didn't give him the platform to perform. That's a worry. It's also a collective failing of Shi, Sellars and Nuno.

I look at Morgan Gibbs-White and I see a player that could potentially be worth £40-50m if we get things right. I see Neto who could be worth the same. I see Podence who could potentially play at a higher level even if he doesn't have the ceiling of those two.

We have Silva who in theory should be progressing to become a £50m player minimum but he didn't score a goal. Again, I don't really blame him. None of our attacking players score. Are they all bad? I doubt it.

Ait-Nouri is another but again in the modern game it's likely to be his attacking output that convinces clubs to make the massive bid that we will need. He has two goals and three assists in 44 league games. He should be capable of so much more.

It probably means no more back three, although I accept you can attack with a back three if you want but we need as many of these players on the pitch as possible.

If we have to sacrifice a few league positions, so what? Obviously, relegation would be a disaster but that's the worst case scenario but I actually have faith in our attacking players to make sure that wouldn't happen.

Even so, if it means coming 17th but playing attacking football it will be worthwhile. Leeds may be in the same boat as us when it comes to sell-to-buy but they're having a better summer than us because they have bigger assets to cash in on. We don't, so it becomes a cycle. No big sale means no big investment and things get worse and worse.

We need to embrace the fact we're about to become a selling club because that's our reality but it can still work but to do it successfully we need big sales and changing the way we play is pivotal to making that happen. Dortmund and Leipzig are probably the dream clubs to emulate long-term and guess what, they play all-out attacking football.

The likes of Kilman, Ait-Nouri, Neto, Gibbs-White and Silva are going to determine our future. They need to play in a front foot, attacking team to ensure we can progress in the short-term but also when we sell them.

Great post

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I have to admit, I did skim read a bit, but I agree with everything you said.

I think it will be hard to evolve to play on the front foot, with pressing football, given the players we have. But you are right.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Great post.
People needs to understand how much more valuable A) positional value is B) style of play.

MGW could be a slightly above average attacking mid and be worth ~£40M with the English tax.

Neves has to be exceptional as a deep lying midfielder to be worth £50-60M.

Felix had one good year and goes for £100M. Partey had exceptional years in champions league and same club sell him for £45M.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Good well thought out post.
Long!... but good..

Thing that occurs to me as a slight counter point is if you play a different way it means the players you are buying come at better value in the first place as other clubs aren’t so keen. Boly would be a good example of this, at times he’s been fantastic for us. But i don’t think he’d ever of suited somewhere like Arsenal (to follow your White example). But I’d be surprised if we couldn’t have doubled our money on him at his peak.

Being more attacking is probably desired by the club more for the whole “selling the brand” thing.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Good well thought out post.
Long!... but good..

Thing that occurs to me as a slight counter point is if you play a different way it means the players you are buying come at better value in the first place as other clubs aren’t so keen. Boly would be a good example of this, at times he’s been fantastic for us. But i don’t think he’d ever of suited somewhere like Arsenal (to follow your White example). But I’d be surprised if we couldn’t have doubled our money on him at his peak.

Being more attacking is probably desired by the club more for the whole “selling the brand” thing.
Yeah none of our CBs would get into any top Prem clubs, outside of Kilman, because they need to play deep with cover in front of them
Any time we've played a 4 we've been shredded

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not to mention the fact that Neves and Jota also had the luxury of an adaptation year to English football by playing in the championship before taking the step up to the Premier League…

Also, as much as I loved Nuno, if we’d have kept him, Kilman would’ve been sold for pennies last summer and we could be saying the same about him right now as we are with Vitinha.

The same Kilman that Nuno gave a PL debut to, and was playing him in the first team?

What other promising young players that went on to achieve things did Nuno sell? Other than Goncalves, who TBF when we let go I don’t remember there being a sea of people saying he was first team ready at the time.

Love a bit of revisionism here on the mix.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

The same Kilman that Nuno gave a PL debut to, and was playing him in the first team?

What other promising young players that went on to achieve things did Nuno sell? Other than Goncalves, who TBF when we let go I don’t remember there being a sea of people saying he was first team ready at the time.

Nuno bombed him completely randomly mid season.

Vitinha wasn't signed because he was ignored.

Agree we haven't been terrible for it but there are examples

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Thank you for a very thoughtful post. My concern with what you propose is that attempting to beat the big boys at their own game with necessarily less resources is almost inevitably doomed to failure. There is a shedload of relevant predecent with other would-be challengers. What we are trying, and it may well ultimately fail, is something different.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Otasowie as a false nine. That was a good one.

Black Coffee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
**** happens he didn't look particularly brilliant nor seemed too keen on being here. Can't fault anyone it just didn't work out nor did he look like 20M player.

I ain't gonna write a long essay on why it is X's fault and the root of it all is some form of negativity. Credit to him he's proved himself and blossomed in to a good player

Last edited:

Flaneur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

It’s not revisionism at all, stone cold fact is that despite the team being awful, Max got a whopping total of 189 minutes in the last 14 league matches whilst also being linked to moves away in the summer before Bruno came in.

80DC7264-D9F2-4127-BBBD-2AAEC81D85D8.jpeg

He was bombed out the team and couldn’t get a look in. It’s also very amusing when you notice that all our biggest losses that season came while he was on the bench…

Martin Riggs

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Even if we had played him more and Nuno/Lage wanted to sign him permanently, where would we have got the extra £18m from in Fosun's self sufficient model?

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s not revisionism at all, stone cold fact is that despite the team being awful, Max got a whopping total of 189 minutes in the last 14 league matches whilst also being linked to moves away in the summer before Bruno came in.

View attachment 28441

He was bombed out the team and couldn’t get a look in. It’s also very amusing when you notice that all our biggest losses that season came while he was on the bench…

Sure, he wasn’t Nuno’s first choice. He was blooding him into the team though during that season.

I look at that list and that shows me a team that had a stay up whatever happens mentality eg play your most experienced back line.

My point remains, nobody can give me any evidence to suggest Nuno would have sold Kilman last summer, particularly for cheap. I’ll wait for any king of evidence that can corroborate that.

Irish_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maybe blooding young players in premier league doesn’t work that well.
In hindsight we should have bought him an loaned him out for 1-2 seasons. This would be a better model.
We just tried that with the fella who went to Arsenal, seems like he didn't fancy grasshoppers for a season. A season in Switzerland sounds pretty cool to me.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ll never understand why he wasn’t played in a 352 as a deeper midfielder. Especially when the season was pretty much over by Xmas.

Krispy Kreme

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Didn't read it all, but regarding the goal stats, whose goals earnt more points?

Stats are so misleading and we shouldn't be building a tactic to make players have good stats, yes it can correlate to more points, it can also look like Bielsas Leeds.

Do top teams scout players based on how many goals they have scored alone?

From what your suggesting top teams would prefer El Ghazi to Neto?

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Didn't read it all, but regarding the goal stats, whose goals earnt more points?

Stats are so misleading and we shouldn't be building a tactic to make players have good stats, yes it can correlate to more points, it can also look like Bielsas Leeds.

Do top teams scout players based on how many goals they have scored alone?

From what your suggesting top teams would prefer El Ghazi to Neto?

Yep, Quality is really hard to measure. Quantity is easy, but in football, doesn't necessarily tell you much. Quantity of points at end of season is all that really matters. The stats say we finished in the top half, yet still many know we are in for a relegation battle. Last 15 match form has us near the bottom. But then there was a point in January when our form was top 3 level. That didn't continue, so why should our bottom 4 form? One of the key ways to twist stats is "Choose your start and end points carefully". Carefully done, you can use this to prove almost anything.

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Superb post, one of the best in many a month.

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
PSG, mental. Must be some money laundering at play.

Back
Top Bottom