Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Vitinha

Halesowen wwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Why? U win some you lose some.
He showed very little while here, would not have played much this year if he had stayed with us as neves and moutinho would still have been picked ahead of him.

Not all of the fan base were taken with him at the time anyway and deemed 18m far too much for potential after what had been spent on fabio the year before.

We will always have chorley...

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A victim of Nuno's stubbornness - never really given a chance to play or shine under him, and even in those dead rubbers when it was apparent our season had fizzled out he preferred to flog Moutinho/Neves rather than blood in youngsters and freshen up squad/formation.

WestChiltingtonwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good player I think. Very classy, the epitome of one for the future,a lot of promise and one that deserved a bit more time. Easy to say with hindsight but would your rather Silva at £35m ot vitinha at half that?

Only player we have had and let go in there fosun eta that I disagree with a few months down the line. I was proved wrong on the others - Cav, Barry and helda etc.

Last edited:

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Once again, young players take time to develop, especially in the premier League. He wasn't ready. Doesn't mean he won't turn into a great player. He really stood out at his own level for the Portugal u21s.

Last edited:

Ogerp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wonder who PSG will drop to play Vitinha in their place. Will soon find out in the new season.

Flaneur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wonder who PSG will drop to play Vitinha in their place. Will soon find out in the new season.
If I had to guess, I think they’d play Veratti & Vitinha with someone sitting behind them, whether that will be Danilo or they get a new DM who knows

Oh Robbie Robie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A victim of Nuno's stubbornness - never really given a chance to play or shine under him, and even in those dead rubbers when it was apparent our season had fizzled out he preferred to flog Moutinho/Neves rather than blood in youngsters and freshen up squad/formation.
Well that's complete cow crap if I ever I saw it. He had opportunity. Fact is, he wasn't up to the standard required at that time.

Jawwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I don't think anyone can blame the club for not signing him, he had one good game against the Albion the rest of his performances were sub par even the Chorley game where he scored a wonder goal he disappeared against part time footballers.

I'd say if anything the blame lies with Nuno for not utilising him.

However had we signed him last year our fanbase would've had a meltdown and it would've been a "favour to mendes"

There are always going to be players who slip through the net at that age, look at Chelsea they got rid of Salah and KDB for peanuts, Gnarby couldn't get a game at Arsenal and was deemed not good enough by albion yet he's brilliant for Bayern Munich..... there are many more examples I could list.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In a nutshell. I loved Nuno, but in his last 6 months he had lost the plot and the desire.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well that's complete cow crap if I ever I saw it. He had opportunity. Fact is, he wasn't up to the standard required at that time.
Haven't checked but I bet he had less minutes than Hwang and Fabio.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I hear Jota is gone too…….and Bennett.

and Pogba left United on a free and then came back for a world record fee of £89m and is now leaving on a free again.

Its almost as if stuff like this happens frequently in soccer………..who’d have thunk it? ;)

Last edited:

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Add him to the list of those that got away.

Goncalves
Mir
Vitinha
probably MGW
Possibly Trincao

Eastern Wolf

Reaction score
Nuno had a team in mind and hardly deviated from it. He had his trusted cohorts and was very rigid in his approach. If Nuno had stayed, we would probably have sold Kilman by now given his reluctance to use the squad at his disposal.
From his actual performances for us, Vitinho was more miss than hit. Had the silky touches but couldn't influence games. He was regularly tagged with the "lightweight" moniker, which was probably deserved. Whether or not he can cut it in the PL we can only guess because Nuno didn't give him much of a chance to get into the swing of things and to prove himself. I think that with better players around him, he will shine in the PL.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
People saying Nuno should have played him more; but people also harp on about Trincao getting too much of a chance!

I don’t think either are ready to be a shoo-in premier league player (maybe in 2-3 years time) and £20M is far too much to spend on someone to be mostly on the bench.

We need to be spending what money we have on a few first team ready players.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He was bang average for us, and there would have been meltdown last summer had we dropped £20m on him rather than sign the proven players we needed. The fact we did neither is another matter.

You win some, you lose some, but of all the recent frustrations I’ve had recently with Fosun, I’m not going to beat them up over this one.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nuno had a team in mind and hardly deviated from it. He had his trusted cohorts and was very rigid in his approach. If Nuno had stayed, we would probably have sold Kilman by now given his reluctance to use the squad at his disposal.
From his actual performances for us, Vitinho was more miss than hit. Had the silky touches but couldn't influence games. He was regularly tagged with the "lightweight" moniker, which was probably deserved. Whether or not he can cut it in the PL we can only guess because Nuno didn't give him much of a chance to get into the swing of things and to prove himself. I think that with better players around him, he will shine in the PL.

You mean the Nuno that brought Kilman into the squad and gave him his debut and then started to feed him into the first team?

The latter point feels a bit like stating the obvious, look at Jota’s improved goal record at Liverpool, and he was excellent for us.

Ches78

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I was really disappointed we didn't sign him, he was obviously a very talented kid (tonnes of potential for his age). What I find worrying is that (supposedly) our business model is about identifying and buying exactly this type of young, quality player (usually Portuguese), and selling them on for a profit a few years down the line. If that's the case you have to wonder if we have the right people in place to make these decisions...

Irish_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He didn't impress, he wasn't physically ready. Silva would be away also if it was a loan but the crazy money we paid for him means we have to keep waiting on him.

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why he didn't sign is just another unknown that grates on a football fan's mind. Maybe the club didn't think he was good enough? Maybe we couldn't afford the fee? Maybe Vitinha had enough of covid lockdown life in Wolverhampton and fancied being back in Portugal? Maybe it was something else entirely?

I do think it is another example of a young player needing to play football to show what he can do. If he had joined us would he have displaced Moutinho last season or would we have used as much as Cundle, with a few extra appearances thrown in? Who knows? Instead, he went back to Porto, got regular playing time, and earned a great transfer.

Gibbs-White is another who has blossomed with regular playing time, arguably three seasons too late due to various issues. I just hope we don't make the same mistake with Cundle. He needs regular football somewhere to show what he can do. Throw Silva, Bueno, and a couple of others into the mix as well.

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Meltdown incoming...

I have to say that my flabber is well and truely gasted at the fact that neither PSG or Man U saw fit to make contact with the EXPERTS on here before deciding to splurge cash on this useless player!

Unbelievable !!

tamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Haven't checked but I bet he had less minutes than Hwang and Fabio.

He was also played on the wing or as a forward for the majority of his minutes when it was obvious he wasn't either.

We have been terrible as a club at bringing through young players in recent years and a big part of that is because they are shoehorned into specific roles as part of a rigid formation and style of play, whether it suits them or not.

Fabio, RAN, Vitinha, Trincao, MGW etc all have potential to be quality players. It's funny how they can show it elsewhere but not here. Any up and coming young player looking at how we have handled them would be stupid to see Wolves as a first choice destination at the moment.

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Things like this happen all the time in football. Some you win, some you lose

Take a look at Chelsea for letting top, top talent slip through their fingers... Salah, KdB, Lukaku Mk1 were all let go, as well as the likes of Rice, Ake and Lamptey

Probably looking at half a billion quids worth there

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One Hell of a turnaround then if he's PSG standard only one season later. Loved Nuno, but he had bizarre trust issues with certain new signings.
Can't believe that Nuno couldn't see 18months into the future to see that this youth team player with little or no first team experience in Portugal would have one good season last year... what an idiot he was.

Last edited:

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He was also played on the wing or as a forward for the majority of his minutes when it was obvious he wasn't either.

We have been terrible as a club at bringing through young players in recent years and a big part of that is because they are shoehorned into specific roles as part of a rigid formation and style of play, whether it suits them or not.

Fabio, RAN, Vitinha, Trincao, MGW etc all have potential to be quality players. It's funny how they can show it elsewhere but not here. Any up and coming young player looking at how we have handled them would be stupid to see Wolves as a first choice destination at the moment.
Kilman, RAN, Gomes, Chiquinho, Neves, Neto, Jota?
Mir sold for good money had an ok season last year but nothing special.
Vinagre played a bit then sold for decent money

tamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Kilman, RAN, Gomes, Chiquinho, Neves, Neto, Jota?
Mir sold for good money had an ok season last year but nothing special.
Vinagre played a bit then sold for decent money

Are you really arguing that we've been good at bringing through Gomes and Chiquinho? They've played a couple of games, but mostly been consigned to the bench whilst fans have been clamouring for them to start.

Neves had already captained a team in the Champions League when he joined and Jota had also had a full season in Porto's first team and Champions League football. They were bought to go straight in as an important player. Its difficult to argue we developed them into a starter.

Other than Neto and Kilman (who had similar problems to the others prior to this season), we haven't really developed any of them yet. Most of them struggle to get in, get frustrated with the lack of chances, get mismanaged when they get a first team game, then gave fans saying they aren't good enough before going on to perform elsewhere.

Flaneur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Are you really arguing that we've been good at bringing through Gomes and Chiquinho? They've played a couple of games, but mostly been consigned to the bench whilst fans have been clamouring for them to start.

Neves had already captained a team in the Champions League when he joined and Jota had also had a full season in Porto's first team and Champions League football. They were bought to go straight in as an important player. Its difficult to argue we developed them into a starter.

Other than Neto and Kilman (who had similar problems to the others prior to this season), we haven't really developed any of them yet. Most of them struggle to get in, get frustrated with the lack of chances, get mismanaged when they get a first team game, then gave fans saying they aren't good enough before going on to perform elsewhere.
Not to mention the fact that Neves and Jota also had the luxury of an adaptation year to English football by playing in the championship before taking the step up to the Premier League…

Also, as much as I loved Nuno, if we’d have kept him, Kilman would’ve been sold for pennies last summer and we could be saying the same about him right now as we are with Vitinha.

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Yes I am.
Chiquinho has joined late and has got time and immediately looked good (unlike Vitinha).
Gomes has played and looked good - id argue he should be playing in front of Boly.
Neves was on the bench when we bought him , not in the first team and was sold - thats a good buy giving a youngster a chance.
Jota wasnt playing for Porto he was at Atletico and nowhere near Atleticos first team.

No-one walks into a team it has to be earnt. You assertation that Wolves don't give chances you youngsters isn't correct - they do have to grasp the chance though

Flaneur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Neves was on the bench when we bought him , not in the first team and was sold - thats a good buy giving a youngster a chance.
Jota wasnt playing for Porto he was at Atletico and nowhere near Atleticos first team.
& I wonder who was benching Neves against the fans wishes at Porto? He was more than good enough to play for Porto, and way too good for us when he joined

Also, just because Jota wasn’t in Simeone’s plans at 20 y/o doesn’t mean he wasn’t good, he showed he could do it by going on loan to Porto, having a great season, and I even remember him ripping Leicester to shreds in the champions league group stage as they cruised their way to the last 16

tamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes I am.
Chiquinho has joined late and has got time and immediately looked good (unlike Vitinha).
Gomes has played and looked good - id argue he should be playing in front of Boly.

No-one walks into a team it has to be earnt. You assertation that Wolves don't give chances you youngsters isn't correct - they do have to grasp the chance though

Surely you are arguing that Chiquinho and Gomes have grasped the chance though, yet they still aren't being played.

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
& I wonder who was benching Neves against the fans wishes at Porto? hmmm

Also, just because Jota wasn’t in Simeone’s plans at 20 y/o doesn’t mean he wasn’t good, he showed he could do it by going on loan to Porto, having a great season, and I even remember him ripping Leicester to shreds in the champions league in the group stage as they cruised their way to the last 16
Who said they weren’t goo enough?
The statement made wa Wolves don't give youngsters a chance - plainly we do

tamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Actually the statement was that we don't give them the best chance due to a rigid system and playing them in roles they are not suited for. The majority are set up to fail and then tossed aside. Maybe go back and have a re-read.

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Surely you are arguing thay Chiquinho and Gomes have grasped the chance though, yet they still aren't being played.
They have looked good when playing but they are early in their careers at Wolves - both came midway in the season - though some on here argue already that Gomes has a bad first touch and isnt good enough. . If they re still sitting on the bench when we are losing with inferior players in front of them, then there’s an argument to be had.

Flaneur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s a reach to include Neves & Jota in there, as we weren’t giving them a chance, they were giving us a chance. Far too good to join a team like ours at the time & they essentially risked their career to do it.

tamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They have looked good when playing but they are early in their careers at Wolves - both came midway in the season - though some on here argue already that Gomes has a bad first touch and isnt good enough. . If they re still sitting on the bench when we are losing with inferior players in front of them, then there’s an argument to be had.

Isn't that how the season ended?

Back
Top Bottom