Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Thelwell and Dalrymple

wolf1975

Groupie
Reaction score
Is it me or have we stalled as a club since these two left?

Dalrymple - enhanced the match day experience and connected fans and club. Has anything changed since he left or got better?

Thelwell - I was a big critic and thought he was a footballing politician but have standard of transfers declined since he left the club?

I didn't realise he is now at Everton.

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thelwell was more of a loss than Dalrymple I think? Wasn't there a lot of rumours going round about Laurie being a bit useless? Not sure what Laurie he's really done since leaving Wolves, but I know Thelwell has had a few pretty good gigs now since he left and genuinely seems to be rated everywhere. No Scott Sellars though obvs!

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thelwell - I was a big critic and thought he was a footballing politician but have standard of transfers declined since he left the club?
Depends on if you're talking about value for money of the signings, or total spending which is what most people mean. It wouldn't have been Thelwell who decided on the overall budget.

New thread ideas if we go another day or two without signings:

Moxley - was he really that bad?
Eggert Jónsson - was he underused?
Paul Gladon - worth (another) look?

RMNottm

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Dalrymple - enhanced the match day experience and connected fans and club. Has anything changed since he left or got better?

We seem to have lost some "connection". Then again it is easy to spend a few grand on beers and discuss grand plans but delivery is the challenge.

As for transfers I tend to disagree. if we are to do well we have to do something different from the pack beyond the sky six. Youth and up and coming.

It is a risky strategy and gets harder as your standard improves (the pool of talent becomes younger- higher risk and smaller). The smattering of experienced old heads (Moutinho's) may be easier to find than the core of younger talent and the odd older existing player may surface to do this.

In short, I get where you are coming from re. match day experience but disagree on transfers. In both cases, I feel it is somewhat evitable.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There's a bit in Tim's last Wolves article on The Athletic that got me thinking.....

"It’s all been a bit surreal, truth be told. There was the time one senior figure at the club gently whispered into my ear, when talking about another senior figure: “I’m in charge here, not him.”

Morgan about Moxey?

Or Shi about Dalrymple?

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There's a bit in Tim's last Wolves article on The Athletic that got me thinking.....

"It’s all been a bit surreal, truth be told. There was the time one senior figure at the club gently whispered into my ear, when talking about another senior figure: “I’m in charge here, not him.”

Morgan about Moxey?

Or Shi about Dalrymple?
I don’t think Morgan whispered anything in his life.

I’m hoping Shi never had to tell anyone he was in charge of the club over the head of commercial.

But answering the OP. Dalrymple was/is useless and went before he was pushed. Thelwell is a good guy and deserves more credit than he deserves, but my ITK (who is a close pal of his) told me when he went because the offer of the US was a good one and he wasn’t a massive fan of how his job had been diluted by the Gestifute connection.

Dr Wolfenstein

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The club did seem a bit more proactive & outgoing when those two were here, as opposed to the current incumbents with their air of running a bring & buy stall at the village fete. But I'm guessing a lot of that lay in Mendes' close relationship with Nuno.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But answering the OP. Dalrymple was/is useless and went before he was pushed. Thelwell is a good guy and deserves more credit than he deserves, but my ITK (who is a close pal of his) told me when he went because the offer of the US was a good one and he wasn’t a massive fan of how his job had been diluted by the Gestifute connection.

I can see that. With the Fosun connection, anyone in that sort of role is a little hamstrung.

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score

Did you say you'd got your season ticket? Are you now on to threads with questions trying to convince yourself you made the wrong decision?

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They were at the club when Fosun were investing massively in order to establish us in the Premier league. As such those are the days we remember most fondly. I think if you had Sellars and Vinny in charge then and Laurie and Thelwell now the feelings would be reversed. All 4 ultimately only work to their remit

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You either leave as a hero or stay long enough to be the villain(s). (More soundbitey than relevant)

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They were at the club when Fosun were investing massively in order to establish us in the Premier league. As such those are the days we remember most fondly. I think if you had Sellars and Vinny in charge then and Laurie and Thelwell now the feelings would be reversed. All 4 ultimately only work to their remit
Nail hit firmly on the head.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

It's a tricky question about Thelwell.

He was Academy manager and then appointed sporting director and head of recruitment in December 2012, just before we were relegated to League One.

He oversaw the recruitment of a decent team to win League One and maintain our Championship status.

But he was only in that role for 3.5 years before Fosun came in, along with their connection to Mendes. So it's impossible to say how much of our recruitment he was responsible for post-Fosun. Most fans would credit Mendes for the best signings and hold Thelwell accountable for the dross, which was a bit unfair and probably a reason he wasn't happy.

He was appointed to the board in August 2019, when Jeff Shi said the following.....

"Kevin is a loyal and long-serving member of the team at Wolves and plays an integral role in the day-to-day operations of the football club, overseeing the medical, recruitment and analysis departments, as well as Wolves Academy. On top of his responsibilities as sporting director, Kevin has also been instrumental in helping to develop our new culture and values, which he has helped embed throughout the club."

So they clearly rated him. But he only lasted 6 months on the board before he was off. Maybe the board seat was a sweetener to try and keep him, as they knew he wasn't happy with his role?

It will be interesting to see how he gets on at Everton, who have no money. His recruitment record in that sort of environment wasn't actually that bad and anything has got to be better than what they've been doing previously!

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My sons best mate lost his dad on the way to the Molineux new years eve of 2017. Traumatic and tragic are words that do not come close to what we all went through.

Word got through to the club and Dalrymple called the wife and son and offered condolences from everyone at the club. He also arranged a letter from Bully to the family, aswell as one or two other bits and pieces.

If you are a bell end, you do not do stuff like that.

T

TheConcourse

You know what I love most about looking backwards? Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

How many youth players made it through to the first team in the last decade?

Dalrymple loved a camera, and if one of his colleagues opinion of him was correct, was an internal, irrational hot head and essentially a glorified Business Development Manager.

Sorry, but neither of these people will stall the future ambition of Wolves.

I do, however, think the club can release more context around developments of other associated brands on a consistent basis. But they also don’t have to.

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Morgan about Moxey?

Or Shi about Dalrymple?
I was told it was Doris talking about Lamberk.

bod101

Admin & No.4
Reaction score
My only real experience of Mr. Dalrymple was at the meeting with Jeff Shi and others after we were invited to bring in some people from this forum for a chat. I thought he came across quite dismissive towards those there, i'm not sure what others at that meeting felt.

MattH

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Thelwell and Dalrymple sounds like a **** Sunday evening detective drama series set in the home counties during the 1960s. They bowl around in an old jag solving mysteries for an exclusively white, middle class clientele. Their methods are unconventional and one is a crack addict but they get results, dammit.

Summer_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The cynic in me says they're two voices who'd carry a lot of weight. Jeff wanted to run the show himself and have no dissenting voices, people who'll just do as he says. The two in question strike me as people who would challenge Jeff.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The cynic in me says they're two voices who'd carry a lot of weight. Jeff wanted to run the show himself and have no dissenting voices, people who'll just do as he says. The two in question strike me as people who would challenge Jeff.

If you want a laugh, search posts including "Thelwell" and your username!

Another Thelwell special, no thanks

Thelwell has to do more surely. He doesn't have the excuse of Morgan/Moxey restricting him anymore

Kevin "Grant Holt's a great player because he's had loads of clubs" Thelwell?

No thanks. Another of Thelwell's specials.

Summer_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If you want a laugh, search posts including "Thelwell" and your username!
Someone's got too much time on their hands, clearly, trawling through someone's posts from years ago :grimacing: plus this is a forum of opinions, in case that hadn't got through to you. People's opinions can change you know.

wolf1975

Groupie
Reaction score
Did you say you'd got your season ticket? Are you now on to threads with questions trying to convince yourself you made the wrong decision?

Yes got season ticket.

As you see I backtracked on Thelwell and gave positive view on both.

Am I questioning the last 2 years - yes.

Starting to think you are on the Wolves payroll Mutchy or can't you question things on here?

Or are you trying to spice things up as this thread was being responded to sensibly.

wolf1975

Groupie
Reaction score

So football comes down to money only - not who is making the decisions?

Think Wolves history tells a different story ( especially under Hayward? )

wolf1975

Groupie
Reaction score
It's a tricky question about Thelwell.

He was Academy manager and then appointed sporting director and head of recruitment in December 2012, just before we were relegated to League One.

He oversaw the recruitment of a decent team to win League One and maintain our Championship status.

But he was only in that role for 3.5 years before Fosun came in, along with their connection to Mendes. So it's impossible to say how much of our recruitment he was responsible for post-Fosun. Most fans would credit Mendes for the best signings and hold Thelwell accountable for the dross, which was a bit unfair and probably a reason he wasn't happy.

He was appointed to the board in August 2019, when Jeff Shi said the following.....

"Kevin is a loyal and long-serving member of the team at Wolves and plays an integral role in the day-to-day operations of the football club, overseeing the medical, recruitment and analysis departments, as well as Wolves Academy. On top of his responsibilities as sporting director, Kevin has also been instrumental in helping to develop our new culture and values, which he has helped embed throughout the club."

So they clearly rated him. But he only lasted 6 months on the board before he was off. Maybe the board seat was a sweetener to try and keep him, as they knew he wasn't happy with his role?

It will be interesting to see how he gets on at Everton, who have no money. His recruitment record in that sort of environment wasn't actually that bad and anything has got to be better than what they've been doing previously!

The common factor is Foused and Mendes and Gestifute.

They are all still linked to Wolves - only offside management has changed and there has been a dip in matchday and transfers.

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So football comes down to money only - not who is making the decisions?

Think Wolves history tells a different story ( especially under Hayward? )
You say transfers have declined since Thelwell left, can you give examples considering its widely accepted that our most successful signings come from Mendes.

What improvements do you think could be made to the matchday experience by Laurie's replacements?

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m not sure that holds much water. Ultimately both were answerable to Jeff as are their replacements. As in any organisation with one ultimate person at the top, they make the decisions in the end.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Someone's got too much time on their hands, clearly, trawling through someone's posts from years ago :grimacing: plus this is a forum of opinions, in case that hadn't got through to you. People's opinions can change you know.

Calm down, I simply thought it was funny - I apologise if you found it belittled you.

Of course people's opinions can change - but also, some people just like to moan, and then can't even see when they suffer from a "grass is always greener" effect.

And it really doesn't take much "trawling", as there is a search function! But thank you for your concern about how I spend my time.

wolf1975

Groupie
Reaction score
You say transfers have declined since Thelwell left, can you give examples considering its widely accepted that our most successful signings come from Mendes.

What improvements do you think could be made to the matchday experience by Laurie's replacements?

II didn't say the transfers were down to Thelwell. Matchday has been more or less the same for 2/3 years.

Mendes is still around, so are Gestifute and so are Fosun.

So i'm asking what has happened with transfers?

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ofc opinions can change,but the only relevant opinions are when they were here not what they are now
I do think we have missed Thelwell as a face/point of contact to a degree,no idea what Dalrymple did so not missed at all
If Fosun have got anything wrong here its the lack of visibility
We hardly ever hear anything from the club,i dont expect daily updates or transfer talk, thats never really happened, but the occasional interview/statement would be nice even if its not what we want to hear
The end of season videos are fine, but its not much to ask for a little in between is it?

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
II didn't say the transfers were down to Thelwell. Matchday has been more or less the same for 2/3 years.

Mendes is still around, so are Gestifute and so are Fosun.

So i'm asking what has happened with transfers?
Fosun invested initially to get us into the prem and secure us there. They have now said we need to be self sufficient. We've had less money to give to Mendes for players which is why transfers on the whole haven't been as successful

Back
Top Bottom