Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Jonny Phillips article.

Brizzlewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not sure whether this has been posted elsewhere but this feels like another thoughtful and balanced article by Jonny Phillips. Worth a read whichever side of the fence you're on......

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not sure whether this has been posted elsewhere but this feels like another thoughtful and balanced article by Jonny Phillips. Worth a read whichever side of the fence you're on......

Yes read it earlier,always a good read is JP,states facts not fiction and just maybe helps people understand a bit more what is actually being said

Wolfy McWolf-Face

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

For me its a top article. Fosun are not discounting us Wulfrunians but are focusing on global fans to try and grow our finances to boost the club.

Agree though that whilst we should eek every penny out of international fan bases like Raul I.e. generated from top performances and talisman status we absolutely should not sign someone based on nationality.

If this is what Hwang is then explains a lot these last few games. Started well for sure but seemed to have guaranteed minutes after signing permanently.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For me its a top article. Fosun are not discounting us Wulfrunians but are focusing on global fans to try and grow our finances to boost the club.

Agree though that whilst we should eek every penny out of international fan bases like Raul I.e. generated from top performances and talisman status we absolutely should not sign someone based on nationality.

If this is what Hwang is then explains a lot these last few games. Started well for sure but seemed to have guaranteed minutes after signing permanently.
The only thing worse than signing players based on marketing criteria, which is what signing by nationality amounts to, would be playing them according to the same criteria.

Like you (l believe from the tenor of your comments) l really hope that hasn't/doesn't happen. If it was to happen l would have to question how any self-respecting manager/head coach could accept that.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The only thing worse than signing players based on marketing criteria, which is what signing by nationality amounts to, would be playing them according to the same criteria.

Like you (l believe from the tenor of your comments) l really hope that hasn't/doesn't happen. If it was to happen l would have to question how any self-respecting manager/head coach could accept that.
I really don’t believe the manager is forced to play him. Seems highly likely his nationality was a major factor in the clubs decision to sign him; but I do believe the amount of playing time he gets is totally the call of Bruno.

On a side point, it must be totally counterproductive to put a player in for commercial reasons and for him to be seen to struggle.

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Absolutely spot on that article. Really balanced and well written.
I think he picks out a key point re: the Steve Bull. I think most fans would happily ignore the globalisation / E-sportifying… or even view it as a necessary and quite smart evil… IF Fosun made some attempt, however small to improve facilities for fans in the stadium.

I look at eg. 16 million initial investment, or 30 mill or whatever to improve things and think, well we paid nearly the first sum for Hwang who’s rubbish. It’s a false equivalence and we could (in theory) sell Hwang and make a profit etc.

But in brand terms, how detrimental is it to have an embarrassing stadium? Poor, unprofitable corporate facilities. What if our global fans DO travel to see us… what will they think when they see our tiny patchwork ground?

Most of all, how much is club unity and fan goodwill worth? How much to ensure we are ‘one pack’ - that everyone comes along on our journey and we leave no one behind?

I feel Jeff & Fosun are trying a unique and potentially disruptive strategy that seems our only hope vs. ‘Spunk billions at a massive loss’.

But I also feel despite massive efforts at transparency (They aren’t obligated to do Ask Wolves after all), Jeff needs someone on board who can help align the Fosun vision with the ‘legacy fans’, in PR terms if nothing else.

Last edited:

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
An interesting article. He even admits that Fosun and Jeff were clumsy with their wording which could be positive in that it wasn’t rehearsed and wasn’t done over multiple takes or negative in that our PR department wasn’t doing their job.

He is right with the issues with the Steve Bull although he doesn’t expand the point that this is a relatively short close season and therefore it wouldn’t be done this year. I would expect it to be done if we were successful in the 2028 Euro bid.

On the foreign player market. I understand looking at the potential and the upside of having a GOOD and SUCCESSFUL player in the team from different countries. Raul is an example of this, although possibly accidentally as I don’t think we bought him to get into the Mexican market. We have done this for while, buying players from Hong Kong, China etc. although on these occasions these players have come and gone. I don’t mind them trying as long as it doesn’t result on players being shoehorned into the team.

Wolf in Kenilworth

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The best Wolves journalist there is.
Hits the mark every time with no fluff and a generous helping of clear rationale.

Anyone who is an angry Wolves fan, against the club, anti Fosun etc should read Jonnys articles - it’ll lower your blood pressure.

Last edited:

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Another good article from Phillips, gets the perspective right, highlighting the legitimate concerns and problems that the club is facing whilst accepting that the overall strategy and direction of the club is what is needed in todays game, and stressing Wolves and the football side is and will continue to be the main part of Fosun Sport. Also shows that a lot of the issues aren't unique to Wolves but part of a larger trend in Football club ownership and operation in todays game.

The amount of money and commercialization has long detracted from football as being purely a sport and not all of those changes sit well with fans going to games, unfortunately I don't think there is a way back to perhaps the times of the 70s/80s perhaps the last time where good management and players alone could take you to the top without the need to exorbitant amounts of money.

Given that football as a whole is where it is and the club needs to operate in that environment then the strategy and approach from Fosun is probably needed and the right one, but getting things right on the pitch as well as off it is key to the continuing success and growth of the club.

A key transfer window coming up, not in terms of overall money to be spent, but in the right players coming in and leaving that will give the squad a better balance and allows us to compete and move forwards next season, get it right and we can maybe realistically look to get back to success of the first season and maybe European qualification again, get it wrong and the downturn could be bigger than Nunos last season/

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Another good article from Phillips, gets the perspective right, highlighting the legitimate concerns and problems that the club is facing whilst accepting that the overall strategy and direction of the club is what is needed in todays game, and stressing Wolves and the football side is and will continue to be the main part of Fosun Sport. Also shows that a lot of the issues aren't unique to Wolves but part of a larger trend in Football club ownership and operation in todays game.

The amount of money and commercialization has long detracted from football as being purely a sport and not all of those changes sit well with fans going to games, unfortunately I don't think there is a way back to perhaps the times of the 70s/80s perhaps the last time where good management and players alone could take you to the top without the need to exorbitant amounts of money.

Given that football as a whole is where it is and the club needs to operate in that environment then the strategy and approach from Fosun is probably needed and the right one, but getting things right on the pitch as well as off it is key to the continuing success and growth of the club.

A key transfer window coming up, not in terms of overall money to be spent, but in the right players coming in and leaving that will give the squad a better balance and allows us to compete and move forwards next season, get it right and we can maybe realistically look to get back to success of the first season and maybe European qualification again, get it wrong and the downturn could be bigger than Nunos last season/
An excellent post. Pretty much my view on matters. As much as I’m not a fan of corporate globalisation, I think Fosun’s strategy is sound. However, if they muck up this transfer window, we might be in for a bumpy ride.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Philips is seriously impressive when he writes about Wolves. Solid journalism allied with a fan's insight.

Even in the 70/80s those at the top tended to outspend others. See Cloughie's much vaunted Forest making the first £1M purchase for example....

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The bottom line is that if the 1st team coach isn't supported in building the team the way he wants, the likely result will be a team that struggles to stay in the PL or is even relegated. That would be a disaster for all concerned. In my opinion Jeff Shi is walking a tightrope/ playing with fire (take your pick) as I do not believe he has enough experience to make key decisions on players and is too reliant on Mendes (whose main priority is never going to be Wolves). By all means try to build the fan base, but the FIRST priority in all of this is to facilitate the building of a successful PL team, and preferably one that is a pleasure to watch. The rest is just chaff, which will be blown away if this central mission is forgotten or sidelined. Get your priorities right Mr Shi. The rest will follow as night follows day. Get them wrong and the consequences don't bear thinking about.

T

TheConcourse

Did you think it was decent value at less than £12m in January? I did.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good article that rather overlooks a chief concern - the playing style. Lage has a plan to excite the fans next season, but it's uncertain what that is or whether the management will allow him to realise it. We've completed four seasons at this level and I can only say with confidence that we played consistently exciting Football in the first. We had our moments in the second. A shared refrain on ours and opposition fans' forums is that we're a dull watch, and our attack-minded coach has not been able to remedy that. 17th on goals scored, 19th on xG, 16th on chances created. It will be hard to fortify the "brand" if the central component does little to entertain.

Oh Robbie Robie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Absolutely spot on that article. Really balanced and well written.
I think he picks out a key point re: the Steve Bull. I think most fans would happily ignore the globalisation / E-sportifying… or even view it as a necessary and quite smart evil… IF Fosun made some attempt, however small to improve facilities for fans in the stadium.

I look at eg. 16 million initial investment, or 30 mill or whatever to improve things and think, well we paid nearly the first sum for Hwang who’s rubbish. It’s a false equivalence and we could (in theory) sell Hwang and make a profit etc.

But in brand terms, how detrimental is it to have an embarrassing stadium? Poor, unprofitable corporate facilities. What if our global fans DO travel to see us… what will they think when they see our tiny patchwork ground?

Most of all, how much is club unity and fan goodwill worth? How much to ensure we are ‘one pack’ - that everyone comes along on our journey and we leave no one behind?

I feel Jeff & Fosun are trying a unique and potentially disruptive strategy that seems our only hope vs. ‘Spunk billions at a massive loss’.

But I also feel despite massive efforts at transparency (They aren’t obligated to do Ask Wolves after all), Jeff needs someone on board who can help align the Fosun vision with the ‘legacy fans’, in PR terms if nothing else.
Steve Bull stand - for the best part of 90 mins, most fans couldn't give a stuff about the stadium. It most certainly isn't embarrassing. There's a lot of clubs who would love a stadium like ours and our ability to fill it week in, week out. The only thing I'd be concerned about is delaying any improvement to it if there was a possibility it could bring additional revenue to the club. However, I trust Fosun to make that assessment and their judgement in using the money available in different areas. If the redevelopment of this stand contributes to more financial clout, then you do it. If not, you simply maintain it.

As regards brand terms, the Steve Bull stand doesn't harm our brand at all IMO. What I think we're seeing here is that we have grown accustomed to having our ground redeveloped from time to time and this is the one stand that hasn't seen that happen. Naturally, people question why and the answer probably lies in the return on investment ratio.

I applaud Fosun and Jeff for telling it like it is. OK, sometimes you don't like what you hear but the reality here is that they have spelled out precisely how they see the club and its future. These people aren't fools and they know the playing side is vitally important to any future success. They simply aren't taking the club down the route of spending beyond its means although they will take measures to protect our Premiership status. Further, FFP, also makes it impossible to do what some clubs have done in the past. Newcastle fans are as excited as we were four to five years ago but then reality sets in. The only solution is to grow your revenue so you can then spend more on playing staff if necessary. Fosun and Jeff are working hard to do that.

Autistic Kangaroo

Reaction score
The next couple of weeks showcases how our proximity to St George’s Park can elevate the global perception of our club. There is a uniqueness to our stadium from design to the colour of the seats. However the stadium particularly the Steve Bull is beginning to look aged even from inside and crucially the main gantry let alone within as a supporter and from the outside where it is verging on embarrassing. Similarly are there any other premier league teams with a temporary cover less stand?

Spend some money on Molineux Fosun. You can start with using some of season ticket and membership sales this month.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A bit of a self-indulgent post this... I think what I take from this article and the interviews Phillips references here, is that it reinforces my dislike of 'modern football'. We're no worse and no better than most others, but I struggle to get excited about our club being a subsidiary of something like Fosun. And I'm not particularly radical politlically (more Kinnock than Corbyn; republican but support the national team, etc.). But I feel completely alienated from what's going on. Thankfully I never took seriously the talk of becoming a major force in English football, if anything the idea, and what it would mean for existing fans, left me more worried than excited. I'll keep going to the games, having my train and pub beers, singing the songs and enjoying the day out, but where we're going... I'm at best ambivalent. But that is one of the things Phillips alludes to: that the problem, if you see it like that/me, isn't one of Fosun's making, they just happen to own us.

Last edited:

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Steve Bull stand - for the best part of 90 mins, most fans couldn't give a stuff about the stadium. It most certainly isn't embarrassing. There's a lot of clubs who would love a stadium like ours and our ability to fill it week in, week out. The only thing I'd be concerned about is delaying any improvement to it if there was a possibility it could bring additional revenue to the club. However, I trust Fosun to make that assessment and their judgement in using the money available in different areas. If the redevelopment of this stand contributes to more financial clout, then you do it. If not, you simply maintain it.

As regards brand terms, the Steve Bull stand doesn't harm our brand at all IMO. What I think we're seeing here is that we have grown accustomed to having our ground redeveloped from time to time and this is the one stand that hasn't seen that happen. Naturally, people question why and the answer probably lies in the return on investment ratio.

I applaud Fosun and Jeff for telling it like it is. OK, sometimes you don't like what you hear but the reality here is that they have spelled out precisely how they see the club and its future. These people aren't fools and they know the playing side is vitally important to any future success. They simply aren't taking the club down the route of spending beyond its means although they will take measures to protect our Premiership status. Further, FFP, also makes it impossible to do what some clubs have done in the past. Newcastle fans are as excited as we were four to five years ago but then reality sets in. The only solution is to grow your revenue so you can then spend more on playing staff if necessary. Fosun and Jeff are working hard to do that.
I have to disagree. For a Premier League club in 2022 I think the facilities in the Steve Bull are embarrassing and damage the ground. A lot of clubs may envy our facilities, but not many in the Premier League I’d wager and certainly none of the top 6.
I also would suggest that for 90 minutes fans do notice how the stand is, both getting in and out, attempting to use the toilets or get up and down the concourse.
Fosun can’t have it both ways. If we’re a business interested in attracting more corporate revenue and high ticket prices and building the brand, we need facilities commensurate with that. The facilities in the Steve Bull are a joke for an elite club. The money to put them right is the same as for a bang average forward…

Also, nowhere did I suggest that Fosun were fools and yes I fully appreciate they are making fiscally sound (conservative) judgements. My point was that the quality of the stadium and ergo fan experience does not match up to their branding or pricing model.
If you want customers instead of fans and globalisation and our badge everywhere that’s fine, I’ll act like one… the product on the pitch has been average for the money and many of the facilities are sub par. If I’m ‘just’ a customer, I’d take my money and go to Vile park. Similar on pitch product, far better facilities.

But I’m not a customer I’m a die hard legacy fan, so I’ll pay good money to sit in some scaffolding roofless crap, or some cramped, crumbling concrete **** hole.

As a die hard LEGACY fan I love and cherish what Fosun have done for us on the pitch.

As a global ‘consumer’ of Wolverhampton Wanderers ‘product’ I’m bored ****less at the game and think the stadium is a complete joke for the money I pay,

Legacy fan vs globalised consumer - be careful what you wish for Jeff.

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A bit of a self-indulgent post this... I think what I take from this article and the interviews Phillips references here, is that it reinforces my dislike of 'modern football'. We're no worse and no better than most others, but I struggle to get excited about our club being a subsidiary of something like Fosun. And I'm not particularly radical politlically (more Kinnock than Corbyn; republican but support the national team, etc.). But I feel completely alienated from what's going on. Thankfully I never took seriously the talk of becoming a major force in English football, if anything the idea, and what it would mean for existing fans, left me more worried than excited. I'll keep going to the games, having my train and pub beers, singing the songs and enjoying the day out, but where we're going... I'm at best ambivalent. But that is one of the things Phillips alludes to; that the problem, if you see it like that/me, isn't one of Fosun's making, they just happen to own us.
Not self indulgent it’s a bloody good post.
I’d love to see compulsory fan ownership of a majority share of all clubs. Football is becoming disnified.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have no problem with signing Koreans , Brazilians, Indians, Mexicans, Argentines and Japanese.
But they have to be good enough.

No player comes with a guarantee that he is "good enough". Probably one in three signings by all clubs doesn't work out.

We wasted millions on British players who were not good enough in the Hayward era. This is touched upon in the article. How owners who basically failed in many ways never got the flak that the current owners do. Despite the current owners clearly having much more of an idea how the football business works in the modern world than the Haywards did.

whitnash wolf ex.dewsbury

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No player comes with a guarantee that he is "good enough". Probably one in three signings by all clubs doesn't work out.

We wasted millions on British players who were not good enough in the Hayward era. This is touched upon in the article. How owners who basically failed in many ways never got the flak that the current owners do. Despite the current owners clearly having much more of an idea how the football business works in the modern world than the Haywards did.
you don`t remember the protests outside the ground then

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s an excellent article. Balanced and well written both as a fan and a realist. JP is in a better position than most fans to be able to sensitively articulate fans support and concerns to the club’s management.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Of course no guarantees but ability and attitude can be researched and prioritised.

That is why recruitment and investment in recruitment is absolutely critical if we want sucess.

Man Utd and Everton last year are only the most recent to show how it can all go wrong, with money and no intelligence .

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Makes a lot of sense. I hope the decision to keep Bruno means giving him the players to create a team in his vision, which we all hope is a more exciting brand of football.

The first 3 games of the season.If Jeff and co get him the personnel he wants,that's the sort of football we will see.Hopefully with a few goals scored.I'd be happy with that if it came to fruition.

Boss Hogg

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A bit of a self-indulgent post this... I think what I take from this article and the interviews Phillips references here, is that it reinforces my dislike of 'modern football'. We're no worse and no better than most others, but I struggle to get excited about our club being a subsidiary of something like Fosun. And I'm not particularly radical politlically (more Kinnock than Corbyn; republican but support the national team, etc.). But I feel completely alienated from what's going on. Thankfully I never took seriously the talk of becoming a major force in English football, if anything the idea, and what it would mean for existing fans, left me more worried than excited. I'll keep going to the games, having my train and pub beers, singing the songs and enjoying the day out, but where we're going... I'm at best ambivalent. But that is one of the things Phillips alludes to: that the problem, if you see it like that/me, isn't one of Fosun's making, they just happen to own us.
Unfortunately lostwolf, Fosun and other big clubs don’t want fans like you or me. They want to fill the ground with tourists who are happy to come to one or two games a season and spend £50/£100 on a ticket and will spend £100 in the club shop and then go home and buy some skins on their esports game for £2 and sign up to the wolves instagramtwitterbook and call themselves fans, thus building the brand that they will sell on to someone of similar ilk in a few years time.

Of course they need a few legacy fans to still come along and create the atmosphere and, like going to the zoo, the tourists want to come and see “the south bank” filled with all these Neanderthals that make all this noise. Hence the club have to throw a few bananas to keep us fed whilst we make some noise for the plastics and the people watching on tv.

Sad that it has come to this :(

Jamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'll stand corrected but buying players to widen our fan base does seem a bit odd.

Has anyone noticed an influx of South Korean supporters on matchday ?

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'll stand corrected but buying players to widen our fan base does seem a bit odd.

Spurs have a huge Korean fanbase, and plenty fly in to watch games, but they have Son and we have Hwang.

Reaction score
Doesn't it make you wonder why if Fosun's plan is so good, why haven't other clubs done it successfully in the past, even us if I remember correctly, didn't we have a plan to develop the Indian market a few years back. We don't have the profile to push that sort of brand growth and without success on the pitch we won't get it.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Inglorious"
Reaction score
Doesn't it make you wonder why if Fosun's plan is so good, why haven't other clubs done it successfully in the past, even us if I remember correctly, didn't we have a plan to develop the Indian market a few years back. We don't have the profile to push that sort of brand growth and without success on the pitch we won't get it.
Bring back Danny!

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I'll stand corrected, but I don't think our stagnation/decline since the Covid lockdown is in any significant way due to "buying players to widen our fan base". Out of many possible factors in the complexity of running a football club, it is being blown out of all proportion by some. We were even ****ter last season, long before the Scapegoat-of-the-month arrived. At start of 2021 , we were dropping as fast as recent months. Looking at the broader picture, over a few seasons, that £12M is a drop in the ocean in the overall scheme.

Also, "global fanbase" is the key phrase. It's the thing that the Big 6 clubs have that we don't .Yet we need it to be able to compete with them. Could always go back to mid-table Championship, Union Jack style, maybe.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well, for one I would say that it isn't an isolated tactical plan. Fosun's strategies are pretty thorough - they may sign players from certain countries, but it will be in tandem with other complimentary catalysts like eSports. Other clubs have just seemingly gone for players then expected a fan base to follow. And maybe it did for a little while, but without the stickiness that something big and established like eSports gives you.

I've read both Johnny's article and the one in the Mirror this morning. Neither are definitively wrong nor unfair, despite at seemingly opposite ends of the spectrum. I think Johnny echoed my words in the other thread - Shi's choice of words was clumsy and he's misread his audience with his pitch. And I think Johnny was off the mark in one area - he mentioned that fans would benefit from more transparency over the potential rewards of these alternative revenue streams such as a detailed set of accounts. With this, I respectfully disagree. Even more protesting on behalf of eSports is the last thing I want to see from executive leadership. The premise of what Jeff said in terms of global expansion through exploiting other revenue streams is fine - that's a given, an expectation. I don't need Jeff to take a bow because he's identified areas to grow the brand. That's his job. As chairman of Fosun Sports Group his sole purpose is to deliver value to stakeholders. Diversification and long term strategic thinking will get you that. But I'm not the board Jeff, us fans are not the board - we don't need chapter and verse on what you're doing and why, just a brief outline and what your expected goals are would suffice. Instead we got a lop-sided plan that omitted one fairly fundamental aspect of our growth - what happens on the pitch.

I trust in Shi to build a commercial strategy that benefits the group - that's something that he and Fosun have generally been very good at (and why they are worth hundreds of billions). What I want to see is a few more statements of intent over on the field activities. Jeff tells us we are still the epicenter of the Fosun Group plans - well, show us that, because we've reached a point in our development that the Mirror article sums up quite well - a watershed. What happens next is anyone's guess. I think Jeff's solitary opportunity to address the fans leaned far too much on the commercial and far too little on the football, and it's the football that determines the success of the commercial. His skinny detail on the end of this cycle was a little disturbing, and us legacy fans have to just accept that he knows what he's doing in all aspects of the club, even if it doesn't necessarily come across that way.

Some will say Fosun deserve our trust, others will point to several dire transfer windows, relegation form at the end of the season and the appointment of Lambert to suggest, quite rightly, that not everything they touch turns to gold. As @JOSWolf correctly points out, this transfer window, and season as a whole, could not be more pivotal.

Last edited:

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well, for one I would say that it isn't an isolated tactical plan. Fosun's strategies are pretty thorough - they may sign players from certain countries, but it will be in tandem with other complimentary catalysts like eSports. Other clubs have just seemingly gone for players then expected a fan base to follow. And maybe it did for a little while, but without the stickiness that something big and established like eSports gives you.

I've read both Johnny's article and the one in the Mirror this morning. Neither are definitively wrong nor unfair, despite at seemingly opposite ends of the spectrum. I think Johnny echoed my words in the other thread - Shi's choice of words was clumsy and he's misread his audience with his pitch. And I think Johnny was off the mark in one area - he mentioned that fans would benefit from more transparency over the potential rewards of these alternative revenue streams such as a detailed set of accounts. With this, I respectfully disagree. Even more protesting on behalf of eSports is the last thing I want to see from executive leadership.

I trust in Shi to build a commercial strategy that benefits the group - that's something that they've generally been very good at (and why they are worth hundreds of billions) what I want to see is a few more statements of intent over on the field activities. Jeff tells us we are still the epicenter of the Fosun Group plans - well, show us that, because we've reached a point in our development that the Mirror article sums up quite well - a watershed. What happens next is anyone's guess. I think Jeff's solitary opportunity to address the fans leaned far too much on the commercial and far too little on the football, and it's the football that determines the success of the commercial. His skinny detail on the end of this cycle was a little disturbing, and us legacy fans have to just accept that he knows what he's doing in all aspects of the club, even if it doesn't necessarily come across that way.

Some will say Fosun deserve our trust, others will point to several dire transfer windows, relegation form at the end of the season and the appointment of Lambert to suggest, quite rightly, that not everything they touch turns to gold. As @JOSWolf correctly points out, this transfer window, and season as a whole, could not be more pivotal.
Very well said.

Wisdomwolf

Groupie
Reaction score

I've read both Johnny's article and the one in the Mirror this morning. Neither are definitively wrong nor unfair, despite at seemingly opposite ends of the spectrum. I think Johnny echoed my words in the other thread - Shi's choice of words was clumsy and he's misread his audience with his pitch. And I think Johnny was off the mark in one area - he mentioned that fans would benefit from more transparency over the potential rewards of these alternative revenue streams such as a detailed set of accounts. With this, I respectfully disagree. Even more protesting on behalf of eSports is the last thing I want to see from executive leadership. The premise of what Jeff said in terms of global expansion through exploiting other revenue streams is fine - that's a given, an expectation. I don't need Jeff to take a bow because he's identified areas to grow the brand. That's his job. As chairman of Fosun Sports Group his sole purpose is to deliver value to stakeholders. Diversification and long term strategic thinking will get you that. But I'm not the board Jeff, us fans are not the board - we don't need chapter and verse on what you're doing and why, just a brief outline and what your expected goals are would suffice. Instead we got a lop-sided plan that omitted one fairly fundamental aspect of our growth - what happens on the pitch.

I trust in Shi to build a commercial strategy that benefits the group - that's something that he and Fosun have generally been very good at (and why they are worth hundreds of billions). What I want to see is a few more statements of intent over on the field activities. Jeff tells us we are still the epicenter of the Fosun Group plans - well, show us that, because we've reached a point in our development that the Mirror article sums up quite well - a watershed. What happens next is anyone's guess. I think Jeff's solitary opportunity to address the fans leaned far too much on the commercial and far too little on the football, and it's the football that determines the success of the commercial. His skinny detail on the end of this cycle was a little disturbing, and us legacy fans have to just accept that he knows what he's doing in all aspects of the club, even if it doesn't necessarily come across that way.

Wise words

Back
Top Bottom