Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

I am a legacy fan - yes I am a legacy fan - are you ?

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You wait til his next interview when he brings up fair weather fans. I for one can't wait for my mention.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m not sure but I think it’s only a few making a big deal about legacy fans., ( whatever that is as there could be many definitions).

T

TheConcourse

I’m not sure but I think it’s only a few making a big deal about legacy fans., ( whatever that is as there could be many definitions).
I hope so. Feels like they’re all assembled in this corner of this internet.

“Oooh, look at me, I’m going to buy a t-shirt because our owners prefer to attract fat Chinese kids on remote controls”

Pathetic.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This thread could go all wrong couldn't it.... especially if the modern plastics get the hump....

I have the honour of being born in the fine city of lady Wulfuns High Town just over 50 years . Legacy fan..not a ****ing clue what that is . But , I may live in Shropshire now, but I will always be FROM Wolverhampton.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I hope so. Feels like they’re all assembled in this corner of this internet.

“Oooh, look at me, I’m going to buy a t-shirt because our owners prefer to attract fat Chinese kids on remote controls”

Pathetic.
Is it? Is it really? Isn't there something special about supporting your hometown club through thick and very thin?

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maybe some entrepeneur can provide a a dedicated shirt for us legacy fans? ;)
How about the $12 ones from Liuyang, given our existence is so incidental I'm sure the club won't care about a few less merch sales. eSports ay we

berwickwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Please provide his actual quotation to justify this.

This is where the phrase came from, and it was a disgrace.

"Super League Teams Refer To Traditional Fans As 'Legacy Fans'" Super League Clubs Are Focused On 'Fans Of The Future'

That's when this term was created. And wolves like other clubs resisted this move.
Do we not have any respect for the truth anymore?
Shi has openly given a plan as to how we can compete against the top 6 in time by developing our brand in other ways to get finances that otherwise we couldn't raise.
And now people are making up a division between our owners and our fans. Ridiculous. Crazy. And if you disagree with him, then at least do it on the basis of what he has actually said.
I wouldn't blame Fosun if they sold us and we return to championship mediocrity with only memories of the brilliant football and footballers we've watched over the last 6 years. Last season under Lage excepted imo. Separate discussion.

Brockmoorwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The only times I can remember Molineux being close to full consistently is when Dave Jones had us going and when Nuno joined.

Legacy fans are soooo loyal*

*when the team performs.
I'm old skool I never did the greed league until my kids got wolves obsessed. I,ll still be here if we had a triple relegation . Wtid.

berwickwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Brockmoorwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
What is a legacy fan? Like old guard?
Hope I'm wrong but I'm guessing the legacy fan is a season ticket holder or regular attendee who also buys home and away kit has kids grandkids who also attend and has kits training kits etc.

But the fan they are trying to attract is the one that will download a wolves record tune for pennies or buy a wolves shirt on esports/fortnight etc for a couple of quid.

berwickwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hope I'm wrong but I'm guessing the legacy fan is a season ticket holder or regular attendee who also buys home and away kit has kids grandkids who also attend and has kits training kits etc.

But the fan they are trying to attract is the one that will download a wolves record tune for pennies or buy a wolves shirt on esports/fortnight etc for a couple of quid.
And the second type will help us the first type! It's to raise money to help build Wolves!! What is wrong with that?

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

As has been pointed out by people above, Legacy Fan is a term from the European Super League, so it's nothing to do with Wolves. Unfortunately these days, there's a lot of people who make up imaginary problems because they love frothing at the mouth about something whether it's true or not.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What is a legacy fan? Like old guard?
Whatever it is , it is not an insult IMO .
I know it describes me. It is only a subset of a wider fan base.
I supppse it means anyone that has a connection to WWFC , before our European semifinal. So a child of a supporter would be a legacy fan even if very young.

Last edited:

berwickwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whatever it is , it is not an insult IMO .
I know it describes me. It is only a subset of a wider fan base.
I supppse it means anyone that has a connection to WWFC before our European semi final.
Up until then I don’t think we hit a bigger audience.
I'm sorry, but why do you think it's about Wolves fans?? It's a derogatory term used by people who wanted the super league

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but why do you think it's about Wolves fans?? It's a derogatory term used by people who wanted the super league
Why is it derogatory? I think it is the best of supporters

Last edited:

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wrong. He never used that phrase--not once. The closest he came was when he referenced "older fans" versus newer fans.
I might be wrong, maybe it was the interviewer that said legacy and Shi smiled and agreed. I don't care and I am not going to provide a transcript.

It doesn't matter. Some people watched that PR exercise and think it was great, that Shi is doing a great job building the brand, they believe the stuff about rules and ceilings, and are grateful to have Fosun as owners. I think he is making excuses.

I think esports, music and fashion are treated as different business and revenue won't/can't make its way onto our p&l. Its a smokescreen. Fosun own Thomas Cook and we won't see that revenue either.

Deak77

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Legacy fan,25 years and counting,multiple years in the Championship, 1 year in League 1 and a finite amount of years in the Prem,depending on the spending and competency of the current lot in charge.

berwickwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why is it derogatory? I think it’s is the best of supporters.
I'm a legacy wolves fan! I'm proud if it! But I resent that term because it was used by people in high positions in a so called top 6 club to describe those of us, you and me, who are essentially in the past, and the money will come from new markets, people abroad watching a super league on TV, with advertising etc etc. A bigger sky sports I guess.
And this is different to what Jeff Shi was explaining. He has never used that term. He wants to expand our source of income with a range of business interests that will develop our brand and appeal and that will bring in finances to make us the best club we can be. He has never disrespected our traditional fan base.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There’s so much foot stomping at the moment.

The same legacy fans clocked up an average 20,000 attendance in L1, btw.

All of the loyalty talk goes one way, apparently. The 200,000 were always there, apparently. Apart from when things were ****, then they weren’t. They were genuine legacy fans at that point.

Now the owner is focusing on a sustainable way to grow the company their toys have been thrown out of the pram. They feel undervalued. Their poor feelings.

They want a new ground. New players. European football. Acknowledgement - of what I don’t know. Want want want. Until times get tough, then they **** off again.

Quit the ****ing moaning and realise that nobody gives a **** about your outdated view on the world. Least of all Fosun. They’re going to keep running the strategy, regardless of your opinion. And it feels like the right strategy, btw.

So bored of seeing adults moan so much about a turn of phrase. It’s mental.
It really isn't. Executive leadership are responsible for delivering the strategy to achieve goals, and part of delivering on that strategy is change management, which includes how you communicate the vision to all stakeholders and compel them to join you on that journey.

I didn't feel a huge surge of inspiration from Jeff's solitary opportunity to address us. of course, compared to the Haywards and Morgan it was probably refreshing.... but football has moved on. Every club has diversification strategies to mitigate risk and deliver new revenue streams, we chose eSports, music, probably wearables given the relationship with Xiaomi and some of the relatively untapped markets. Great. But that's a given these days - if chief executives aren't doing this then there's something wrong.

The points he made are fine. The premise of the address was fine. The problem was the tone and manner of it. Making a point of distancing himself further then the anonymous status of last season by reiterating he's chairman of a group, not just Wolves left me with the takeaway that the guy is going to disappear again and do bugger all until he needs to sack Bruno in November/December.

Whether that's true or not remains to be seen, but his communication style and agenda has led a fairly sizeable portion of the 'legacy' fan base to feel this way. He had an opportunity here to bring the fans along for the ride, and of course not every fan would've been happy - some people are never happy - but you don't remind them of that and give them more reason to throw stones at you.

Fosun, Jeff in particular, need to remember the importance of PR. Football clubs are plate spinning by their very nature. Lose sight of the smaller plate and the rest will come crashing down.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm a legacy wolves fan! I'm proud if it! But I resent that term because it was used by people in high positions in a so called top 6 club to describe those of us, you and me, who are essentially in the past, and the money will come from new markets, people abroad watching a super league on TV, with advertising etc etc. A bigger sky sports I guess.
And this is different to what Jeff Shi was explaining. He has never used that term. He wants to expand our source of income with a range of business interests that will develop our brand and appeal and that will bring in finances to make us the best club we can be. He has never disrespected our traditional fan base.
I am not sure if Shi used the term. But that isn’t my issue , my issue is that people seem to resent being called legacy fans.
As if they are being sidelined .
I think it was Eleanor Roosevelt who said you have to give your permission to be made to feel inferior.
I dont give that permission to the executives of the corporate greed League.

Deak77

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Legacy fan - Somebody who can say they were still here when we were ****!

sheffwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Bit embarrassing to admit but I’m only a Basic Legacy Fan. Born in 74 and only seen us promoted from the fourth division, Sherpa Van, and Play Off Final. My old man is Legacy Plus (Or is it Legacy Gold?). He’s seen us win the FA Cup and League Cup and everything!

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Its additional revenue which allows us to spend more, simple as. People are getting so worked up over it.

If we relied on only fans in and around Wolverhampton we simply can't generate enough revenue to push for the top 6 in any way, shape or form.

I dont give a **** how Fosun earn revenue globally for Wolves so long as we benefit as a club.

Yep as long as the revenue is all put back into the club I have no issue with it.

If we want to get pedantic about " legacy" and all that ****...... I believe that the only people that can call themselves true Wolverhampton Wanderers loyalists are those that were born in Wolverhampton ....and would question why if you weren't would you not support your local club?!

If you are not originally a local and have no family connection to the area but just started supporting cos " you liked the colours" or whatever then its a bit of a stretch to criticise others around the World for also just randomly deciding to take Wolves as their team.

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Legacy fan?
You never attended Chorley(originally) you out of luck for sure...:)
Might get you back in if you´ve seen Culliis on the pitch and not just off it though..I recon.Eeey,just contiue to build to imaginary boundaries shall we?
I mean..the more entitled a group of people is feeling,,the better it will be.
Won´t it?
One pack is just comersial afterall..isn´t it?...:)

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All of these posts because of something Jeff didn’t say.

Last edited:

Nivada

Reaction score
Yep as long as the revenue is all put back into the club I have no issue with it.

If we want to get pedantic about " legacy" and all that ****...... I believe that the only people that can call themselves true Wolverhampton Wanderers loyalists are those that were born in Wolverhampton ....and would question why if you weren't would you not support your local club?!

If you are not originally a local and have no family connection to the area but just started supporting cos " you liked the colours" or whatever then its a bit of a stretch to criticise others around the World for also just randomly deciding to take Wolves as their team.
If you weren't born in Wolverhampton then I've got no time for you. I know a few Wolves fans 'round the Willenhall area and I've always let them know this, completely different kettle of fish.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Its additional revenue which allows us to spend more, simple as. People are getting so worked up over it.

If we relied on only fans in and around Wolverhampton we simply can't generate enough revenue to push for the top 6 in any way, shape or form.

I dont give a **** how Fosun earn revenue globally for Wolves so long as we benefit as a club.

Advertising revenue and in game purchases are massive so if we can leverage some of that that’s great.
OK, so I can ignore it and enjoy the extra revenue and we can compete with the Big 6, great.

Except if I was a kid who only knew PL football as a brand, I'd still be City or Liverpool. If I was Korean I might be interested to see a team with a countryman playing, but I'd pick the outstanding one at Spurs, not the one shoehorned into Wolves.

It might be a market we should be in, but it'll never make us compete with teams that are more successful, and particularly not if it starts actually making us less successful.

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just an outsiders view I recon..at least my personal one.
Sooner or later even the so called legacy fans of WWFC gonna have to recognise that that the terraces is long gone North Bank and they are not gonna emerge from nothing futurewise.
The legacy fan is a dying breed...we are not gonna go back to when Franny Lee tried to take Bite your legs off Hunters Head.

It´s over and done with..and I would have loved Wolverhampton 1976 when Abba came through with "Dancing Queen" and Björn Borg beat Illie Nastase for his first Wimbledon trophy(jees,wasn´t Brotherhood of Man winning the eurovison with a tune like "save you last dance for me"?
I dunno..those summers I remember Bruce Jenner winning the Decathlon(?) in Olympic Games Montreal..:)..and for sure Elton John Kikki Dee toppin your charts....Sex Pistols..God Save The Queen all that..Clash an unknown entity..so on.

All I´m saying in a weird way..let´s more forward from eggs an chips shall we?

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just an outsiders view I recon..at least my personal one.
Sooner or later even the so called legacy fans of WWFC gonna have to recognise that that the terraces is long gone North Bank and they are not gonna emerge from nothing futurewise.
The legacy fan is a dying breed...we are not gonna go back to when Franny Lee tried to take Bite your legs off Hunters Head.

It´s over and done with..and I would have loved Wolverhampton 1976 when Abba came through with "Dancing Queen" and Björn Borg beat Illie Nastase for his first Wimbledon trophy(jees,wasn´t Brotherhood of Man winning the eurovison with a tune like "save you last dance for me"?
I dunno..those summers I remember Bruce Jenner winning the Decathlon(?) in Olympic Games Montreal..:)..and for sure Elton John Kikki Dee toppin your charts....Sex Pistols..God Save The Queen all that..Clash an unknown entity..so on.

All I´m saying in a weird way..let´s more forward from eggs an chips shall we?
Kisses for me..save all your kisses for me..Brotherhood of Man it was?

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Legacy fan - someone who's been going to games for at least 144 years
Legacy fans "a term used by football club owners who view their supporters as fixed revenue streams. Legacy implies permanence, irrespective of how poorly fans might be treated. They are banking on fans’ claims to follow their club through thick and thin. How far can they stretch that loyalty, love and obsession? If a legacy fan really is “Club X until I die”, then club hierarchies have nothing to be afraid of in screwing them over."

dennison11

Reaction score
So what am I then? Never been a season ticket holder (came close a few years ago but logistics and family got in the way) but I've supported Wolves for 30 years. Don't or have not lived anywhere near Wolverhampton. Go to as many games as possible (Oxford away in the mid 90s being one of the most memorable for me). Does that class me as a Legacy fan or a Plastic or a Fairweather?

Personally for me, we are all fans of this great club. Some older fans believe we should ONLY have revenue from fans in the ground but the reality is that isn't football anymore. Revenue is from all aspects wether it be Legacy fans or ESports fans.

I for one embrace change. As long as Wolverhampton Wanderers Football Club is doing well out of it then I will be happy.

I have enjoyed watching Wolves play in the best division in club football and long may it continue. What i do not want to see is the club go bankrupt and cease to exist. If FOSUN were to only rely on the small population of Wolverhampton to survive then we would be languising in the lower leagues with nothing to enjoy.

Eastern Wolf

Reaction score
As a long standing fan, I welcome all to our Wolf pack. The more fans the merrier! To all new fans from far away places, I hope you can find a way to the mecca that is the Mol one day. In the meantime, pls buy the merchandise, join in with the affiliated esport, become signed up members and log into the website regularly so that you may make your support count in the digital internet age.
In this day and age, money and critical mass is so important to the success of a club aside to the obvious success on the pitch of course.
There are many different active ways to support a football club nowadays and not just going to matches which may be impossible for some.

JimB

Groupie
Reaction score
Are we trying to say that to have witnessed Wolves during the dark times of Chorley and Chapman that you love Wolves more than a fan of the last 5 or 10 years?

Why don’t you legacy fans get yourself medals of honour made up with ‘I was at Chorley’ but in Latin.

Get a grip.

Back
Top Bottom