Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Who are we retaining (and then gaps)

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Conscious that there is a lot of anxiety about who is leaving and how we replace them. I thought I'd start the other way around and look at who is likely to still be here next season and, if so, what gaps or strengthening do we need. It feels more positive .... at least in my mind.

GK - Sa, Sarkic, Sondergaard
WB - Semedo, Jonny, RAN, Bolla, Hoever, Bueno
CB - Kilman, Toti, (Coady?), Mosquera, Marques
CM - Cundle, (Moutinho?)
Wingers/AM - Neto, Podence, MGW, Hwang, Chiquinho, Campbell
CF - Silva, (Raul?)

The above assumes - Ruddy, Saiss, Giles, Marcal, Boly, Sanderson, Neves, Donck, Ronan, Jordao, Trincao, Traore, Cutrone, Campana all leave permanently or on loan.....

For me that is still a decent starting base for GK, WB, Wingers/AM and we're missing a CB (2 if Coady leaves), 2 CMs (3 if Moutinho leaves) and 1 CF (2 if Raul leaves).

In a worst case scenario our first team is likely to include at least 6 of those above - Sa, Semedo and Jonny (or RAN), Kilman, Neto and Podence (or MGW). Could be as high as 8 or 9.

So yes we'll be needing to add 2-5 first teamers and integrate them but there remains a decent nucleus of players at the club which with the additions can see us move forward.

Sorry for being positive....no I'm not related to Jeff.....yes a big Summer ahead but it's not all doom and gloom.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd imagine a older vet keeper to replace Ruddy on the bench, let's Sarkic get a loan spell in the championship.

Need a a centre half or two

Three Central midfielders.

Striker

If anybody else leaves add another one. Raul, Podence etc

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Conscious that there is a lot of anxiety about who is leaving and how we replace them. I thought I'd start the other way around and look at who is likely to still be here next season and, if so, what gaps or strengthening do we need. It feels more positive .... at least in my mind.

GK - Sa, Sarkic, Sondergaard
WB - Semedo, Jonny, RAN, Bolla, Hoever, Bueno
CB - Kilman, Toti, (Coady?), Mosquera, Marques
CM - Cundle, (Moutinho?)
Wingers/AM - Neto, Podence, MGW, Hwang, Chiquinho, Campbell
CF - Silva, (Raul?)

The above assumes - Ruddy, Saiss, Giles, Marcal, Boly, Sanderson, Neves, Donck, Ronan, Jordao, Trincao, Traore, Cutrone, Campana all leave permanently or on loan.....

For me that is still a decent starting base for GK, WB, Wingers/AM and we're missing a CB (2 if Coady leaves), 2 CMs (3 if Moutinho leaves) and 1 CF (2 if Raul leaves).

In a worst case scenario our first team is likely to include at least 6 of those above - Sa, Semedo and Jonny (or RAN), Kilman, Neto and Podence (or MGW). Could be as high as 8 or 9.

So yes we'll be needing to add 2-5 first teamers and integrate them but there remains a decent nucleus of players at the club which with the additions can see us move forward.

Sorry for being positive....no I'm not related to Jeff.....yes a big Summer ahead but it's not all doom and gloom.
Trouble is that this season has shown that we need experienced and quality competition/ back up for places.
I would also like to see Hoever, Cundle, Bueno, Marques, Mosquera , Toti and even Silva go out on loan like MGW did.
That means signing virtually a whole alternate team inc two complete oven ready midfields and thats just not going to happen, but that is the scale of the issue we have imho.

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Trouble is that this season has shown that we need experienced and quality competition/ back up for places.
I would also like to see Hoever, Cundle, Bueno, Marques, Mosquera , Toti and even Silva go out on loan like MGW did.
That means signing virtually a whole alternate team inc two complete oven ready midfields and thats just not going to happen, but that is the scale of the issue we have imho.
Agreed. We should have refreshed the squad on a season by season basis.

Last edited:

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Could Fosun loan us, say £100 million, if so would that effect FFP.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We would rake the cash in and could help us long term.

We need quality that includes a striker

We have to score more goals

This transfer windows is huge

Wall heath Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That list, should it occur, highlights just how centre mid has been woefully neglected. There is no way we should have had just 3 senior players for 2, sometimes 3, positions.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we are left with that selection I reckon we would need 9 more players of quality to be competitive in the premiership.
The Scottish premiership? Nah we’d be fine. The Premier league is different though

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought the original plan was to have an experienced team of 11 players with young people capable of backing them up. Which seemed to make sense for lots of reasons.
Two people for every position.
Not two kids for every position.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
1xGK
2xCB
4xCM
1/2x Wingers
2xST

Could be a complete overhaul squad depth needed too

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought the original plan was to have an experienced team of 11 players with young people capable of backing them up. Which seemed to make sense for lots of reasons.
Two people for every position.
Not two kids for every position.

I don’t think you need 2 players for every position, as it blocks youngsters from getting minutes.

Cundle wouldn’t have played this season if we’d have had 4 senior CMs.

I think for 2 spots, 3 senior, 2 backup youth would work fine. So you’d end up running with around 18-20 senior pros and 11 good young squad backups who can split their time with the U23s (who are now playing at a higher level).

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t think you need 2 players for every position, as it blocks youngsters from getting minutes.

Cundle wouldn’t have played this season if we’d have had 4 senior CMs.

I think for 2 spots, 3 senior, 2 backup youth would work fine. So you’d end up running with around 18-20 senior pros and 11 good young squad backups who can split their time with the U23s (who are now playing at a higher level).
Ok, so what happens when your best midfielder is injured for several weeks, No2 is knackered and No3 is playing RCB?
Or you want to play 3 in midfield, or change the formation in some other way; man to man on De Bruyne for eg? You need options and alternates who can play plan A or B

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ok, so what happens when your best midfielder is injured for several weeks, No2 is knackered and No3 is playing RCB?
Or you want to play 3 in midfield, or change the formation in some other way; man to man on De Bruyne for eg? You need options and alternates who can play plan A or B

What if we have 5 senior central midfielders and they all die of Monkeypox? Do we have 10 just in case?

Or do we keep the wage bill down and hope we aren’t unlucky with injuries? 2 PL seasons of good luck with injuries, 2 seasons with bad luck so far. We are due a good one!!

Back
Top Bottom