Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Bruno Lage

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He played Hwang and that cost us the game. He has no game management, he rebukes the players and never himself, aw cmon qf can all see he is out of his depth. He cost us top 7 this season. Lage has to go.

Agree. Lage out!

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Same with Cundle and Chiquinho. Cundle he stated he didnt sign a central midfield player in January as we had Cundle who he trusted. Plays him at Spurs where he is very good and then drops him. Plays him at Newcastle because he has to due to Neves and Donck being out. Hardly uses him otherwise. Very unimpressed with a guy who was supposed to be so good at using younger players and giving them a proper chance.
It’s very puzzling isn’t it.

JamesWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Put it this way too for Bruno 1st season as manager / coach in the PL he has done better than 10 other PL managers..
Plus look what Eddie Howe has done since he's had the great backing by Newcastle's new owners.

Dan Ashworth had a key part to play in Newcastle's turn around aswell. You know a proper DoF

Jawwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Dan Ashworth had a key part to play in Newcastle's turn around aswell. You know a proper DoF

Dan Ashworth didn't join Newcastle till February, he was still at Brighton in the January window.

Edit: he still appears to be on gardening leave as Newcastle won't pay what brighton want to release him from his contract.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm pretty ambivalent towards him. Happy if they sack him, happy if they give him another go next season and back him.

Must admit don't like how he has started blaming the injuries now even though he has a point. Every team has them, you just have to get on with it.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not sure too many credible managers will want to come in and work under these conditions tbh. They wanted and got a stooge who would put up with the transfer approach and even having a player thrust on him for non-footballing reasons.
If, and it is a bloody big if, everything after "even" is correct then why does Lage keep using said player?

Personally l think that there is absolutely zero accuracy in your post.

freezin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If there was a dial that indicated confidence in Lage that equated to sack or retain, my needle would be very, very, very slightly in the get rid half.

If I was Lage and I didn't get the players I wanted , early in the window , then I'd do a Hoddle and **** off, dropping Wolves in the ****.

Its a proper (and completely avoidable) mess. Nobody comes out of this well.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Although poor form towards the end season. Look at the cards Bruno's been dealt this season. Basically the same team as last year (Nuno's team) that finished 13th. Nobody would have guessed we'd have been pushing for Europe start of season or even in January. Imo Bruno was not backed in January transfer window when he should have been. In fact Shi and Sellars weaken the small Wolves 1st team squad by letting Adama go on loan and not bringing back MGW from loan. So under the circumstances Bruno has to get some credit for finishing in the top 10 of the Premier League. He has to be backed in the summer transfer window for a rebuild by Jeff and Fosun?
It not it's Fosun out for me not Bruno.
Re your last sentence l'm sure that Guo is preparing the sale documents now, lol.... or perhaps not!

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We played well today..sorry if people dont want to hear it but we did and brunos game plan was working...admittedly hwang didnt have the best of games
When does Hwang ever have the best of games? Or even acceptable games?

T-dot-wolves

Groupie
Reaction score
I do feel for the guy. Begged for players in the summer and they weakened the squad. Begged for players in January and they literally gave away a player who might have been useful here and there.

He's also really inexperienced and any manager needs time to adapt, to build a team and an ethos. Look at Arteta for example -still far from outstanding but they're making clear progress again now.

But Christ some of his decisions look so poor. Hanging Hoever out to dry in public. Just never really using fresher players like Cundle, Toti, Fabio when we were looking awful this year. Persisting with Hwang who is just ...poor.

I think he has some interesting things to say, and I believe in giving a coach time to really implement a vision. But I would be bothered if he was hoiked as we're just dull to watch still.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Put it this way too for Bruno 1st season as manager / coach in the PL he has done better than 10 other PL managers..
Plus look what Eddie Howe has done since he's had the great backing by Newcastle's new owners.
Eddie Howe, like him or loathe him, is a proven and experienced PL manager.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Eddie Howe proven my **** Relegated with Bournemouth is that what you call a proven PL manager?
As I said he is doing well now with great backing from Newcastle wealthy owners. Plus still finished below Wolves and Bruno :)
Problem with that argument is that Howe has got a lot more points for Newcastle since he took over than Bruno did for Wolves. I think they were on 3 points when he took over and rock bottom. They finished just behind us.

Jay Jay de Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Problem with that argument is that Howe has got a lot more points for Newcastle since he took over than Bruno did for Wolves. I think they were on 3 points when he took over and rock bottom. They finished just behind us.
Point is there January window as I said the Newcastle owners bought Eddie Howe 6 new players and what did the Wolves owners do for Bruno? No coincidence is it that the big change in form was after January for both teams. There's for the better and ours worsened because of our weak squad!

Andi130

Reaction score
The biggest problem facing Lage is he's already lost the confidence of a decent section of supporters. Judging by the sample of opinions from fans on here, and considering the general concensus amongst friends, family and people that sit around me down the Mol. There apprears to be just as many want him out, as would have him stay, and many more that are sat on the fence.

I just don't think you recover once the tide starts to turn to this extent. Even if he turns a few decent results early next season, the doubters won't be turned quickly(I include myself in that tranche).

From a club hierarchy perspective, would they really want such a split/disillusioned fan base at the games next season? 2, or 3 early losses and I've no doubt fans will be baying for blood. Pre-season will have been a complete waste and we'll have to deal with the fallout of Bruno potentially being the 1st managerial casualty of the 22/23 season, whilst searching/trying to integrate a whole new back room setup on the fly.

Who knows what Jeff and Co will do though!? If they do decide to cut their losses with Bruno, I just hope the do it quickly.

Last edited:

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Point is there January window as I said the Newcastle owners bought Eddie Howe 6 new players and what did the Wolves owners do for Bruno? No coincidence is it that the big change in form was after January for both teams. There's for the better and ours worsened because of our weak squad!
Of the 6 new players, Trippier got injured quickly and was out for the season. The others were Dan Burn, Matt Taggart and Chris Wood. Any of those 3 and people on here would have despaired. I’ll give you Guimaraes but he didn’t start every game.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The biggest problem facing Lage is he's already lost the confidence of a decent section of supporters. Judging by the sample of opinions from fans on here, and considering the general concensus amongst friends, family and people that sit around me down the Mol. There apprears to be just as many want him out, as would have him stay, and many more that are sat on the fence.

I just don't think you recover once the tide starts to turn to this extent. Even if he turns a few decent results early next season, the doubters won't be turned quickly(I include myself in that tranche).

From a club hierarchy perspective, would they really want such a split/disillusioned fan base at the games next season? 2, or 3 early losses and I've no doubt fans will be baying for blood. Pre-season will have been a complete waste and we'll have to deal with the fallout of Bruno potentially being the 1st managerial casualty of the 22/23 season, whilst searching/trying to integrate a whole new back room setup on the fly.

Who knows what Jeff and Co will do though!? If they do decide to cut their losses with Bruno, I just hope the do it quickly.

That's the problem now, he will be going into next season on the back of a shocking run of form which would put the majority of managers on the verge of getting sacked.

Summer_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't see him leaving - yes we've been woeful for the last 2 months or so however the season as a whole will be looked over, imagine top 10 will be more than okay for Jeff and Co, particularly as half of this squad won't be here anyway. For that reason, this 'he lost the players' narrative won't matter much I think as a lot of them will be leaving. I'd personally like to see him given a go, however he needs a good summer window of backing from the club and a good start next season or he'll be in trouble pretty quickly I think.

Eastern Wolf

Reaction score
We'll get 3 new players, probably Portuguese, that will need bedding in which won't be easy. If Bruno stays, he'll have 10 games to prove himself - especially after the poor last part of this season.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Eddie Howe proven my **** Relegated with Bournemouth is that what you call a proven PL manager?
As I said he is doing well now with great backing from Newcastle wealthy owners. Plus still finished below Wolves and Bruno :)
To be fair, Howe didn't 'finish below Wolves and Bruno'. His haul from the games from when he was appointed were head and shoulders above what we/Bruno achieved. Newcastle was pretty-much dead and buried when the new regime came in on Tyneside and Howe appointed. He recruited well and got them to safety relatively comfortably. He did well (with backing from the owners), regardless of how (e) you perceive him.

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm pretty ambivalent towards him. Happy if they sack him, happy if they give him another go next season and back him.

Must admit don't like how he has started blaming the injuries now even though he has a point. Every team has them, you just have to get on with it.
To be fair, I didn’t read it as him blaming the injuries so much as blaming the lack of depth when they got injured.

I don’t think we have a particularly small squad, I just don’t think there’s enough quality in the depth we do have, it’s too heavily reliant on young players who aren’t quite ready yet.

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With regards to the club backing Lage financially, if Sellers has final say then it doesn't matter who the gaffer is, we still have that dumbass signing whoever he wants.
He doesn't have final say at all!...

It's laughable how the last 12 months Sellers has been sold as the bad man when the role he is in doesn't give allow him such responsibility some throw at him just like it didn't the last man.

If it helps direct (incorrectly I might add) people's frustration for our poor finish and displays then there's no help that can be offered sadly.

MattH

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

You're on a hiding to nothing comparing us to Newcastle. They've just started spending big and won't stop this summer. I reckon they could put me in charge and I'd get Newcastle top 6 next season with the amounts they're rumoured to be spending.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He doesn't have final say at all!...

It's laughable how the last 12 months Sellers has been sold as the bad man when the role he is in doesn't give allow him such responsibility some throw at him just like it didn't the last man.

If it helps direct (incorrectly I might add) people's frustration for our poor finish and displays then there's no help that can be offered sadly.

Problem we have though is Sellars has fairly bluntly made it clear we wont sign any players he doesnt rate. So if the manager/head coach doesnt like Sellars offerings we dont sign anyone.

Corporate Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Problem we have though is Sellars has fairly bluntly made it clear we wont sign any players he doesnt rate. So if the manager/head coach doesnt like Sellars offerings we dont sign anyone.
Herein lies the significant problem for any new/potential manager. They will have to work within any existing framework.
I think it is fair to say, that this was a significant factor on why Lage, a Head Coach who had been out of work for 18 months and also a Mendes client, was given the job.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Aside from any personal dislike you have of Sellars, how likely do you think it is that he'd unreasonably say no?

Anyone we're signing would be seen by our scouting team, and the decision to sign them would largely be based on that. It's not as if Lage or any other manager would be channel flicking through a La Liga game, see someone score and ring up Sellars to say he'd like to sign him.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we have a 35M player on the bench who doesnt even get on the pitch then someone needs sacking for not playing him or someone needs sacking for signing him.
Persistent with hwang has been poor.

There were other options including silva

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Aside from any personal dislike you have of Sellars, how likely do you think it is that he'd unreasonably say no?

Anyone we're signing would be seen by our scouting team, and the decision to sign them would largely be based on that. It's not as if Lage or any other manager would be channel flicking through a La Liga game, see someone score and ring up Sellars to say he'd like to sign him.

I dont know him so i cant say i dislike him. I dislike how he has gone about a few things though.

I'd have to say with how he speaks, and the wording of his statement about not signing players he doesnt rate, he would have to be across realistic signings to be able to make that “I don’t ever want to sign players that he wants and I don’t want” comment, so i think its fairly likely he would say no to a player they clash over. The scouting team imo find the players, scout them then pass the info on to Sellars and Lage. Then i guess the committee gets involved

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I dont know him so i cant say i dislike him. I dislike how he has gone about a few things though.

I'd have to say with how he speaks, and the wording of his statement about not signing players he doesnt rate, he would have to be across realistic signings to be able to make that “I don’t ever want to sign players that he wants and I don’t want” comment, so i think its fairly likely he would say no to a player they clash over. The scouting team imo find the players, scout them then pass the info on to Sellars and Lage. Then i guess the committee gets involved
Everyone forgets the second part of that quote where Sellars said we’d never sign a player that the manager doesn’t want even if he, Sellars, thought he was a good purchase.. The buy has to be right for everyone not just the manager or the Technical Director. Gone are the days where the manager was in sole charge of first team purchases and simply asked the board to pay.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You're on a hiding to nothing comparing us to Newcastle. They've just started spending big and won't stop this summer. I reckon they could put me in charge and I'd get Newcastle top 6 next season with the amounts they're rumoured to be spending.
Next season quite possibly but the signings weren’t actually stellar, the two stand outs they made, one got injured very early on for the season and the other took time to bed in. I would say he did a good job this season.

Back
Top Bottom