Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Finishing refereeing

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sometimes you know enough is enough .After 49 years and 2240 games I decided to step away from Refereeing last summer .I have to admit my enthusiasm waned somewhat after my wife’s illness. Yes I miss the good times which includes the people of which there were many and admittedly many who were ********s .
I was lucky to referee on 31 PL/ EFL grounds and even refereed in a tournament in Norway.I was lucky enough to Referee as 4th Official at EFL games and Referee at ,Conference (National League),MidlandsFootball Alliance ,West Midlands League ,Central League ,Staffordshire Senior League,Staffordshire County League,Wolverhampton Amateur and Works Leagues,Wolverhampton Sunday League ,Wolverhampton Municipal League,The Midland Intermediate League where I refereed the Cup Final twice including Cloughie’s last ever game at Forest in front of 23 ,000 where he gave me a kiss.I also refereed in the FA Cup where I actually played a game ,FA Youth Cup ,FA Trophy (Where I refereed the QF between Welling and Woking ,,The FA Vase,The FA Youth Cup and many other memories.
I received fantastic retirement letters from both the FA and Staffordshire FA..I haven’t posted this to receive plaudits but merely to reminisce as I cast my mind back to my first ever game in 1972 as a 17 year old callow youth at Dunstall Park
I think I have done my bit
Well done mate!

I reffed a game in the Sutton district league this season and my god it's hard work!

Fair play for keeping going. We have a few senior refs in our league and they are....odd. you probably know them given your longevity!

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sometimes you know enough is enough .After 49 years and 2240 games I decided to step away from Refereeing last summer .I have to admit my enthusiasm waned somewhat after my wife’s illness. Yes I miss the good times which includes the people of which there were many and admittedly many who were ********s .
I was lucky to referee on 31 PL/ EFL grounds and even refereed in a tournament in Norway.I was lucky enough to Referee as 4th Official at EFL games and Referee at ,Conference (National League),MidlandsFootball Alliance ,West Midlands League ,Central League ,Staffordshire Senior League,Staffordshire County League,Wolverhampton Amateur and Works Leagues,Wolverhampton Sunday League ,Wolverhampton Municipal League,The Midland Intermediate League where I refereed the Cup Final twice including Cloughie’s last ever game at Forest in front of 23 ,000 where he gave me a kiss.I also refereed in the FA Cup where I actually played a game ,FA Youth Cup ,FA Trophy (Where I refereed the QF between Welling and Woking ,,The FA Vase,The FA Youth Cup and many other memories.
I received fantastic retirement letters from both the FA and Staffordshire FA..I haven’t posted this to receive plaudits but merely to reminisce as I cast my mind back to my first ever game in 1972 as a 17 year old callow youth at Dunstall Park
What achievements - referees are integral in our ability to watch and enjoy football. So thanks.

I bet you could write a very interesting book on human psychology .

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
From one old Wulf to another, have a happy retirement.

Ewok vs Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well done Jonzy great achievment. i'm sure theres a lot of younger referees that could learn a lot from your experiences.
The amount of hassle refs have to put up with at grass roots level is incredible not just from the players and coaches but probably worse are the players parents from what i've witnessed over the years.

Sammy Chungs Tracksuit

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes you have done your bit Jonzy and the thing is I get the idea that even in your refereeing dotage you would still be a far better ref than many of the current PGMOL crew would ever be, some of whom seem to think that they are the stars of the show.

Superted

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
We like to give referees a kicking these days (us more than most perhaps) but let's be honest, without them we wouldn't have a game so we owe fine gentlemen like yourself our gratitude for putting up with numpties like us ;).

Sounds like you had a fine career and I wish you well in your retirement.

wallace

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Being an ex ref you obviously know little about the game or laws as in "you don't know what your doing"

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
What achievements - referees are integral in our ability to watch and enjoy football. So thanks.

I bet you could write a very interesting book on human psychology .
I have been knocking around a few ideas for a while now so we will see see

Mardenboroughs Shoulder

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
A sincere thank you for what you have given to the game. I know we moan about refs a lot on here but it takes some guts to actually do the job and particularly at grass roots level. I do hope you will continue to comment especially on threads related to refs and rules of the game. I have enjoyed your wisdom and perspective as a professional immensely. Cheers

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
A sincere thank you for what you have given to the game. I know we moan about refs a lot on here but it takes some guts to actually do the job and particularly at grass roots level. I do hope you will continue to comment especially on threads related to refs and rules of the game. I have enjoyed your wisdom and perspective as a professional immensely. Cheers
Yes I will continue

Southdownswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If you ever ref'd Bromsgrove Rovers in the 80's/90's I may have asked about the whereabouts of your father... if so I apologise....

Enjoy your retirement, it sounds as though you had a fantastic and enjoyable time in the middle.

giantwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well done on a long referee career @Jonzy54. Enjoy putting your feet up and THANK YOU…. as someone has already said, without guys and girls like yourself there wouldn’t be a game for people to enjoy

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
If you ever ref'd Bromsgrove Rovers in the 80's/90's I may have asked about the whereabouts of your father... if so I apologise....

Enjoy your retirement, it sounds as though you had a fantastic and enjoyable time in the middle.
Yes I did in the early 90’s

Back
Top Bottom