Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Marcal dropping truth bombs

HowfenWolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Or is he alluding to the fact that some of the senior squad players were ****ed due to the recruitment policy - Coincidence that results tailed off for no apparent reason, when we should have kicked on and nailed one of the European spots?

Quoting Marcal: I think we had a good squad, we could easily have already qualified for Europe, but I think the club’s strategy in the middle of the season of putting in slightly younger players to also being able to sell them ended up conditioning our performance in the race”

Disagree if you want, but to me 'ended up conditioning our performance in the race' translates as 'putting the brakes on' not trying too hard' 'reduction in performance/effort or reduced hunger to win? or did the introduction of the younger players simply impact the balance of the team?

Yes it smacks of a senior pro being a bit peeved that they were dropped for younger players at a crucial point in the season - maybe not just referring to Ait-Nouri but possibly Hoever & maybe even Trincao (all have made silly mistakes that cost us points).

Whether you believe him or not, he's broken ranks and since he's leaving he's given his thoughts on the season. Maybe the team simply gave up after Adama was allowed to leave? Something wasn't right with this team in the 2nd half of the season. No desire, no fight, no ideas, just like they were going through the motions. A season that promised so much, barely ending with a whimper & us rolling over for most of the teams at the bottom.

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think he's bitter that he lost his place to RAN.

Other players, Cundle, Toti, Hoever, Fabio, haven't exactly forced their way in.

Unless....
It's a mistranslation and he's talking about January window pivoting to utilising youth to pad the squad over bringing in reinforcements to push on.
More like it.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For me his comments have shown nothing new. The core experienced members of the team don't take responsibility for their own performances, preferring to blame the kids.
Kilman has been our best centre back this season. No surprise it's all going to **** at the back since he's gone.

To me our problem, and that is if we are serious about breaking into top 6, is that the experienced core of the side isn't good enough to break into the top 6. Saiss, Moutinho and Raul performances haven't been good enough when they have needed to step up. Moutinho and Raul were the worst players on the park against city.
I'd like us to keep Raul because I still think there is potential for him to get back to his best, whether it's a confidence thing or a headmask thing I don't know.
But it's the experienced players that are holding us back now, not the kids. We need to upgrade on them.

Tarcisio Mifsud

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was thinking more or less on the same reasoning. Fosum are Chinese which want to earn money from where they have invested, they are different from those Arabs coming from oil reach countries, where the energy market do most of their work. The Chinese, as specially with the current Covid lockdowns have to think differently and Wolves are suffering because of their strategy.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For me his comments have shown nothing new. The core experienced members of the team don't take responsibility for their own performances, preferring to blame the kids.
Kilman has been our best centre back this season. No surprise it's all going to **** at the back since he's gone.

To me our problem, and that is if we are serious about breaking into top 6, is that the experienced core of the side isn't good enough to break into the top 6. Saiss, Moutinho and Raul performances haven't been good enough when they have needed to step up. Moutinho and Raul were the worst players on the park against city.
I'd like us to keep Raul because I still think there is potential for him to get back to his best, whether it's a confidence thing or a headmask thing I don't know.
But it's the experienced players that are holding us back now, not the kids. We need to upgrade on them.

Thought Saiss, Moutinho and Coady showed they *were* more than good enough, until the recent run. Both Saiss and Coady form has dropped noticably since since around the Arsenal matches. Raul looked better before Xmas than he does now.

Perhaps what he's getting at is that we were in a great position, but didn't get one or two experienced players in that would have taken us over the line. Instead having an attitude of the youngsters can step in if needed. Which is broadly been the attitude for 2 years now. This demoralised the experienced players. They will see that this is the way its' going to be. Even if we did qualify for Europe, all we'll get is a couple of Under 23's in to fill out the squad.

Saiss, Coady, Moutinho, Raul have looked completely different players recently, to what they did pre-Xmas. No idea what's going on behind the scenes, of course, but it does seem odd.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The reference to already qualifying for Europe is dead right.

We've been in relegation form for over a 1/4 of the campaign and will still finish a win or so away from 6/7th

This is where the frustration for every fan should be. These opportunities won't come around very often and our attitude come January was ahh cba.

The Clock

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Marcel was ok when he was fit.
Decent cover whilst Jonny recovered.
I don’t really get the love in for Ait on here. Hopefully he will continue to improve but he has only ever got 70 minutes in his legs, and for me is one step over short of a full Vinagre

MutchAdo

Reaction score
The reference to already qualifying for Europe is dead right.

We've been in relegation form for over a 1/4 of the campaign and will still finish a win or so away from 6/7th

This is where the frustration for every fan should be. These opportunities won't come around very often and our attitude come January was ahh cba.

Spot on. It's why I have zero faith left in Bruno though to be honest. Why not change the shape against Leeds instantly after the farcical sending off? Why not change anything against Newcastle until the 77th minute when the previous 76 dictated we were getting **** all from the game? Why set up against Brighton to not lose?

Would a couple of extra first teamers helped? Maybe. Would reacting to situations quicker and setting the team up to play like we did against Man Utd and Spurs away have helped? Defintely.

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Strikes me Marcal is dropping excuse bombs.
The idea we haven't qualified for Europe because our team is full of kids being displayed for sale is ludicrous.
Now if he'd argued we failed because we didn't bring in 1 or 2 more in the transfer window he might have been nearer to "the truth".

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think he's bitter that he lost his place to RAN.

Other players, Cundle, Toti, Hoever, Fabio, haven't exactly forced their way in.

Unless....
It's a mistranslation and he's talking about January window pivoting to utilising youth to pad the squad over bringing in reinforcements to push on.

I think he means the latter

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’d of tried to keep Marcal for another year myself.

I think he’s referring to the Traore transfer move and obviously that must of caused a few issues between players / the direction of the club (which he speaks about sell to buy) - sell younger players.

Of course we fans have to understand Wolves are now a self sufficient business and that means bringing players through and selling them for a profit like Dortmund & Leipzig have been doing

ombyman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wouldnt be at all surprised if his views mirror that of quite a few of our squad. I remember Dendoncker saying we needed more quality players way back in November.
What is scary to me is if players know or think that the club is prioritising developing younger players to sell over building a performing and achieving team. For that to even be in the head of a player is concerning. (Appreciate RAN is better than marcal, in my view, and that we have achieved relatively more than pre Fosun)

It also means there may some some truth in Bruno not having full say in team selection. Or if not directly, then he has pay related to sale of youngsters etc

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Or is he alluding to the fact that some of the senior squad players were ****ed due to the recruitment policy - Coincidence that results tailed off for no apparent reason, when we should have kicked on and nailed one of the European spots?

Quoting Marcal: I think we had a good squad, we could easily have already qualified for Europe, but I think the club’s strategy in the middle of the season of putting in slightly younger players to also being able to sell them ended up conditioning our performance in the race”

Disagree if you want, but to me 'ended up conditioning our performance in the race' translates as 'putting the brakes on' not trying too hard' 'reduction in performance/effort or reduced hunger to win? or did the introduction of the younger players simply impact the balance of the team?

Yes it smacks of a senior pro being a bit peeved that they were dropped for younger players at a crucial point in the season - maybe not just referring to Ait-Nouri but possibly Hoever & maybe even Trincao (all have made silly mistakes that cost us points).

Whether you believe him or not, he's broken ranks and since he's leaving he's given his thoughts on the season. Maybe the team simply gave up after Adama was allowed to leave? Something wasn't right with this team in the 2nd half of the season. No desire, no fight, no ideas, just like they were going through the motions. A season that promised so much, barely ending with a whimper & us rolling over for most of the teams at the bottom.

Totally agree with all of this and exactly what I think he is saying.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Apparently loads of fans have messaged him asking him to stay, so I am going to cast a doubt on his truthbombs frankly.
Literally not met one person who wants him too, and I am of the opinion he has done a decent enough job for us

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

In my experience, admittedly of rugby, not trying too hard is when you get injured.

92WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Apparently loads of fans have messaged him asking him to stay, so I am going to cast a doubt on his truthbombs frankly.
Literally not met one person who wants him too, and I am of the opinion he has done a decent enough job for us

Yeah a cheap stop gap so RAN could develop with plenty of gametime but not be burned out. Did a good job in that regard but I don't think we need him to stay.

those were the days

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I wouldn't put it down directly to him, but it would be interesting to see the stats for goals conceded compared to Marcal being in the team and him not.

It seems we've gone from one the meanest defences in Europe to a bag of crap roughly around the time he was dropped.

Also, whether it's him being bitter or not (perhaps), there is an element of truth when it comes to the ambition of our transfer policy. And how many more negative stories like this will keep sneaking out of the dressing room? Something clearly there behind the scenes.
The left-hand side of our defence was pretty competently locked down in the first half of the season when Marcal and Saiss featured. Since January it’s been much less so and a lot of the goals and chances conceded have come down that side with not a huge compensating upside in terms of looking better offensively. The guy has a point. I think it’s mainly a comment on playing RAN but maybe also Hoever to a lesser extent. Remember the Liverpool game I think it was where within a few minutes of Hoever coming on (admittedly for RAN) we conceded.

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In fairness, I think he's trying to say what a lot of us think.
We had an opportunity push-on and add experience and depth to the squad January.
But we didn't.
Bruno wanted more players (we all wanted more players).
But instead he had to put his faith in younger players to fill out the squad.
He voiced his frustration many, many times.
Who knows what would have happened this season with more experienced back-ups, and more competition for places.
I think Marcal was right.
Good on him.

This.

But there’s another aspect to what he is saying.

Fosun, the investor, came to Wolves to make money! We all suspect that they are player traders rather than trophy winners. Marcal is simply confirming these suspicions and is quite specific about it.

The gates to Europe were wide open to us and something has gone radically wrong.

So now we know!!

Oliwolf44

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I love that Marcal thinking him playing is the difference between us and Europe. Most fans wanted him to play even less than he did, so very much sounds like sour grapes to me. Marcal played half the games this season and we finish 8th, if Marcal started every game we finish 8th, if Marcal didnt play a single game we probably finish.... 8th. Love how he thinks hes prime Roberto Carlos that could of changed the fortunes. We need RAN to play and develop anyway.
If it was Neves on the bench for half the games fine but an injury prone LB who gives away needless penalties? Have a day off.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I love that Marcal thinking him playing is the difference between us and Europe. Most fans wanted him to play even less than he did, so very much sounds like sour grapes to me. Marcal played half the games this season and we finish 8th, if Marcal started every game we finish 8th, if Marcal didnt play a single game we probably finish.... 8th. Love how he thinks hes prime Roberto Carlos that could of changed the fortunes. We need RAN to play and develop anyway.
If it was Neves on the bench for half the games fine but an injury prone LB who gives away needless penalties? Have a day off.
You don't get to play Champions League football to semi-final level without confidence in your own abilities l guess.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There's no question that performances and results have dropped off since the January transfer window shut (5W, 2D, 10L), but Marcal blaming this on the fielding of younger players for the purpose of selling them does not ring true. It doesn't really ring true in his own position, with Jonny getting a lot of time at LWB. The problem was that we didn't field more younger (and evidently, hungrier) players. Saiss, Coady, Raul, Boly, and even Jonny have been found wanting in terms of application and desire in the latter half of the season, while Toti Gomes gets the loudest cheer of the afternoon with one committed challenge.

If Lage is denying there was a bust up or disharmony in the camp (of course he would), then what is the explanation for the drop in performance from the old guard?

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Makes some sense , I believe you get the best from youth by putting in a stable "adult" team.
And where they play is important. I suppose out wide is less critical than in the spine.
Perhaps this is an insight to the way Jonny and Jimmy feel.
Hwang, Silva , Trincao and Hoever should not have been near our first team at the same time , and those guys are probably tagged up for a loan or sale this summer - if only to save face .

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A man on his way out has the freedom to speak out.

Jawwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I assume a lot could be lost in translation....Marcal also said in the past that he was having an operation in the pub.

Its easy for things to get misread and non native languages to be misinterpreted.

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Marcal also said in the past that he was having an operation in the pub.
I remember Marcal telling me he was in that pub when a bear came in and said to him "Get me a ............................. beer"

Marcal asked "Why the big paws?"

He used to take his pet newt called Tiny into the pub. I asked him "why Tiny?" and Marcal said "Because he's my newt".

Sorry. Just bored.

Back
Top Bottom