Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

City Verdict

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Outclassed by the best side in the world. Thought we looked alright going forward but our centre-halves have been in an awful run for a couple of months now. Love Coady and Boly (and Saiss) but there is definitely a discussion to be held around the defence next season.

Thought Raul and Ait-Nouri played relatively well. Neves and Moutinho understandably struggled and Sa didn’t cover himself in glory for a couple of the goals.

Chiquinho was exciting but still not convinced he will be ready to start regularly at this level. Huge potential there though and a great Plan B.

Sa 5
Jonny 5
Coady 5
Boly 5
Chiquinho 7
Neves 5
Moutinho 5
Dendoncker 6
Ait-Nouri 6
Raul 7
Neto 6

Need to get more athleticism and mobility throughout the side, but particularly at centre-half and in midfield.

No shame in losing to that City side and I can handle defeat when you at least work hard and try to have a go, which we did. Have just lost the defensive stability which kept us in games earlier in the season.

Lots of big decisions to make in the Summer around both the Manager and some players who have been absolute heroes for the club.

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There's only one Belgian I'll be dreaming of tonight. Dendoncker. For a few precious minutes, he gave me hope.

I think we should have been braver on the ball. It's tough because City close you down, but kicking it long and surrendering possession did us no favours anyway.

But really City are one of the best teams in the world and played great football. We could have had an extra three players on the pitch and I don't think it would have made much difference. They passed quickly, moved quickly, and were always in the correct position in and out of possession. They are just brilliant. There's not much need for any deep analysis. We just got schooled. I'm not laying much blame at any individuals. I felt worse after the Brighton match.

My man of the match was Chiquinho. I like what I saw. Now let's change the formation and get him further up the pitch with an extra attacker.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
I’m glad we had a go but defensively very poor. City probably should have had more. Thought Chiquinho and Ait Nouri were great. Big summer ahead a few players have reached the end of the road with us.

Jawwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I don't think we were to bad tonight, world class players like KDB can make top Premier league players look bang average. It's nice to see us have a go, no doubt the squad needs freshening up but indications seem to point to the fact that it will be this summer, I can take this results what's ruined our season is Burnley, Leeds, Palace etc.

I Can't see anyone touching this city team for a few years now with Haaland added.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Hard to be too critical, bumping players a rating or two because of opposition.

Sa 6
Shaky with ball but given no angles to play. Difference when Ederson has been and options he had from midfield and Neves, Moutinho and Donk hiding from it is massive.

Ait-Nouri 5
Battled and was ok going forward but his decision to come for 5th was criminal.

Boly 6
Was woeful with ball, few interceptions but free midfield runners near impossible to pick up

Coady 6
Good interceptions and a few nice switches. See Boly for midfield runners

Jonny 4
Feel harsh rating him this low but it was awful. His confidence totally went we will, didn't even want the ball. Should have been hooked at HT.

Chiqiunho 7
Really impressive, some poor decision making but made things happen. Poor cross when Neto unmarked at back post.

Neves 4
Worst player on the pitch, marked himself out of game by standing next to Rodri and never offering an angle. Played one pass of note and rest of time sideways hospital balls. Got ran past constantly, worst moment was when he let Foden go past him and not instantly foul like City players always do. Extremely poor.

Moutinho 5
Did some nice stuff with ball but looked dead when he came off. Allowing KDB to go past him without a foul was shameful for his 3rd loses a mark.

Donk 6
Got his goal and drove forward well at times, scared to play forwards but best of midfield
Neto 7
Looked lively, great composure for the goal. Dribbled air out of it instead of passing a few times but getting sharper.

Raul 7
Thought his link up play was bang on. Worked hard, nearly a pearler. Good performance.

Bruno - terrible decision to play Jonny at CB

Ref - Atrocious

Kashmire Hawker

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am not saying that the team collectively didn’t have a go by the way; I thought we did run the ground hard and the equaliser was very nicely taken and that in Chiq, we have a very good youngster.

I posted what I judged to be my view points on the game and that some were not up to the standards we expect.

It’s that constructive criticism that is needed in the dressing room; not least with us having no clean sheet in a quarter of a season.

Ian C

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Coady, Boly and Saiss all need to be moved on. Boly has not been himself since injured/COVID.

Saltyjim

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Relieved we got out of that only 5-1 in the end, because they looked like scoring every time they attacked towards the end.
They were clinical and so good all over the pitch. Lets face it we needed to play out of our skins and hope they had an off day - neither happened.
Can't fault our lack of effort, but too many sloppy errors when in possession meaning we turned the ball over time and again.
Promising from Chiquinho and can't fault the others for lack of effort.

Oh Robbie Robie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Outclassed, outplayed. It might have been 9-3 to City in truth.
Very encouraged by Chiquinho. Excellent performance and looked right at home. Hope he plays against Norwich because he could destroy them. Also happy to see Neto and Raul getting back their understanding.

Our defence looked worse than it actually is because our midfield tried to press City and that left gaps. No harm in trying new things but very risky against City. KDB was fantastic for City and basically the difference between the teams in the first 20 mins. They deserve the title.

Overall, not going to get too down. We didn't concede 6 and 5 remains the most we have conceded in the Prem. We'll do well to finish 8th now as Brighton and Leicester are chasing us down. But, after last season, 10th isn't too bad.

Willywolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
One thing I do despise is the inconsistency of the officials. City do not need any help, but if those challenges on our players are at the other end with the score 0-0 or 0-1, you know VAR give both penalties.

I'm the Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
raul may have found his new jota in chiquino. he played well those last 10 minutes last game and the time he was on tonight.

djmikeydickens

Reaction score
Liked the line up but not in that shape. Donk or Toti should of been in the back 3 with Jonny RWB.
Gave KDB the freedom of the park all night. City are world class but Jesus most of the goals were shoddy defending.
Season gone now, full focus on what the system will be for next season and how many are shipped in and out

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some won't want to hear this, but Neves was **** poor today. Responsible for at least two goals from KDB, and just looks like he's #headsgone. Boly has lost any pace he had. Moutinho has petered out (as he did at the end of last season). Feels like we need an overhaul in the summer, something is very wrong right now, and that's not a kneejerk reaction to this result as we all expected to lose, but to be so poor defensively in a back five just sums it up really, and it's been a theme for a while now. Coady is not a good enough player to force a system to suit him, he's always been mediocre defensively and incredibly slow. It's time to ditch this boring back five.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Often hear people say that I'd rather us have a go and lose by five than play defensively and be boring. Personally I'd rather be boring, stay in the game and nick a draw or win. I'd rather us be well drilled, cohesive, and hard to beat.

Anyway...we looked okay going forward, Raul looked a bit better than he has recently, not hard I know. Neto looking better with each game, and Chiquinho is a revelation.

Now for the not so good. Let's be honest, Man City are a great team but our defence is awful at the moment. It's difficult without Kilman, Saiss and Semedo I know, but we look all over the place. Unfortunately Boly is now way past his best. Kept losing his man and drifting into space.

The silver lining is that Man City stay ahead of Liverpool and improve their goal difference. It's all about next season now.
I'd have liked to see us set up like this against the likes of Burnley, not against City! This felt like an amateur boxer who thought he could go toe to toe with the world champ.

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Dear Fosun

If you’re serious about challenging then we need upgrades.

Being plucky and fighting above our weight will catch up with us next season.

Yours

BM
Challenging for what though. We can't attract our even afford to really challenge the top 4 let alone the top

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can’t blame a lack of effort for that. I mean, the players tried but were set up strangely. Jonny is the SAFEST defender we have had in years but we conspired to take that out of the side by putting him at CB.

Chiquinho looks fearless and full of promise. Neto WILL come good, he’s shown enough. RAN had an ok but quiet game.

Raul worked hard but it shows where we are as a club and set of fans when this gets translated to “he played well”. It’s not good enough for where we want to be.

The midfield let the game pass them by, they just aren’t mobile enough to press and get the ball back. This is why Nuno played them so deep.

Coady and Boly were abysmal. Boly in particular, I’d be happy to never see him in a wolves shirt again. There is zero urgency from him.

PM Wolves

Groupie
Reaction score
Sadly I do feel we have to let Coady to go to progress, there are many others that are/should be on their way out but I do think Coady is now holding us back.

You can build a formation around a single player, but that player needs to worth the sacrifice and Coady for all his organisation and barking, is not quick enough for a modern day top half prem CB, or has the physical attributes.

I'd also let Saiss, Boly, Marcal, Mouts, Raul and Ruddy go and bring back MGW and a few others who have done well on loan to bulk out the squad.

7 out, 4 back from loan and 3/4 signings.

Toti or Mosquera to become a regular next season for me.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s interesting that the stats finished with 5 shots on target for City (and 5 goals) and 3 shots on target for us (and 1 goal). From the play, you’d have guessed perhaps twice as many shots on target for City, so I’m surprised by how few they had.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Some won't want to hear this, but Neves was **** poor today. Responsible for at least two goals from KDB, and just looks like he's #headsgone. Boly has lost any pace he had. Moutinho has petered out (as he did at the end of last season). Feels like we need an overhaul in the summer, something is very wrong right now, and that's not a kneejerk reaction to this result as we all expected to lose, but to be so poor defensively in a back five just sums it up really, and it's been a theme for a while now. Coady is not a good enough player to force a system to suit him, he's always been mediocre defensively and incredibly slow. It's time to ditch this boring back five.

Agree with a lot of that but don’t think Neves’ head has gone. I just don’t think he’s anywhere near fully match fit.

oldgold4ever

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
We defended poorly and that includes the midfield. Neves was so poor tonight. There’s no shame losing to a class City team but I’m narked by the refs performance. At least 2 pens for any top 4 side tonight.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have to admit I was astonished that Bruno started with four at the back against City of all teams, especially after Pep's admission about how we have made them suffer more than most - i.e with our traditional tactics of a back five that smothers the spaces with an eye to break. The four backfired pretty spectacularly, Coady had no idea how to organise a solid shape, and in the end could have very easily been 7 or 8. The space we afforded de Bruyne was disgusting.
Hang on… serious question but didn’t we play 352 tonight?

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One thing I do despise is the inconsistency of the officials. City do not need any help, but if those challenges on our players are at the other end with the score 0-0 or 0-1, you know VAR give both penalties.
They don't. No need to look for excuses, we just got beaten easily

Superted

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
No disgrace losing 5-1 to that City side but it grates when at least two or three of those goals were avoidable and we had two decent penalty shouts turned down which we can be reasonably confident would have been given the other way.

I think a lot of the attacking pieces are there for nexg season but we need to sort the defence and midfield out desperately.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hard to be too critical, bumping players a rating or two because of opposition.

Sa 6
Shaky with ball but given no angles to play. Difference when Ederson has been and options he had from midfield and Neves, Moutinho and Donk hiding from it is massive.

Ait-Nouri 5
Battled and was ok going forward but his decision to come for 5th was criminal.

Boly 6
Was woeful with ball, few interceptions but free midfield runners near impossible to pick up

Coady 6
Good interceptions and a few nice switches. See Boly for midfield runners

Jonny 4
Feel harsh rating him this low but it was awful. His confidence totally went we will, didn't even want the ball. Should have been hooked at HT.

Chiqiunho 7
Really impressive, some poor decision making but made things happen. Poor cross when Neto unmarked at back post.

Neves 4
Worst player on the pitch, marked himself out of game by standing next to Rodri and never offering an angle. Played one pass of note and rest of time sideways hospital balls. Got ran past constantly, worst moment was when he let Foden go past him and not instantly foul like City players always do. Extremely poor.

Moutinho 5
Did some nice stuff with ball but looked dead when he came off. Allowing KDB to go past him without a foul was shameful for his 3rd loses a mark.

Donk 6
Got his goal and drove forward well at times, scared to play forwards but best of midfield
Neto 7
Looked lively, great composure for the goal. Dribbled air out of it instead of passing a few times but getting sharper.

Raul 7
Thought his link up play was bang on. Worked hard, nearly a pearler. Good performance.

Bruno - terrible decision to play Jonny at CB

Ref - Atrocious
Very good ratings. Agree almost entirely

Nivada

Reaction score
Chiquinho quite simply MUST start from now on. No shame in losing to the best team in the world who have gone up a few levels more, if that's even possible, after that CL loss.

Nige

Reaction score
Sack Bruno immediately 8 goals in 2 home games Bruno ball is a shocker Get a bloke in who knows how to set up against City and do the double over them... Oh **** We sacked him ....

Living at other WWFC

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Citeh play outstanding football.
Many parts of our game were encouraging - except after substitutions.

Why does such a great team need additional support from ref and var on challenges on Chiquinho and Neto for penalties?

Longford Wolf

Reaction score
City are fantastic, but we possibly have the slowest defence and midfield in the league.
How the hell do Neves and Moutinho stay on for 90 mins when they have both been ripped a new one.
The back 4/5? Whatever it was we’re ****ing hopeless, massive upgrades needed for next season.
The subs were a joke, what is the point of Hwang, the bloke is crap.
Not been convinced by Lage all season, if he goes I won’t lose any sleep, if he stays we are in serious trouble next year.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So bloody annoyed that I now hope Liverpool take it all, even if its bad for the sport to have one club take 4 trophies and we don’t like Liverpool…….but still.

Ughhhhhhhhhhh……….

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agree with a lot of that but don’t think Neves’ head has gone. I just don’t think he’s anywhere near fully match fit.

Maybe so, to be fair he has just come back from an injury, but their second goal he just let's KDB run from midfield in behind Coady, who is trying to stay with Foden (partially Coady's fault for not handing off Foden to Neves and then tracking KDB's run, a little bit of both really). Third goal he could have stopped KDB running across our box if he'd made a challenge but he was just jogging at a leisurely pace, doesn't look good to me.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know it is Man City but we made it far too easy for them. Some comical defending and the midfield vanished. What stuck out for me was how slow our centre backs and central midfield looked. Two areas that urgently need addressing this summer and have done for a couple of years now.

Also we have no real identity to our play anymore. It looks like the players are hoping something will happen rather than having a plan tonight, Really concerns me that we have no identity anymore and this needs rectifying ASAP.

Sadly think several players could do with moving on now and we need fresh impetus throughout the squad.

Special mention to Chiquinho who gave his all and did worry them on occasions.

Baffled that Fabio Silva was once again ignored.

I will get slated but I am really not sure about Lage and any claims about European football are laughable with the current squad.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m kind of over it already really. We had some decisions go against us, of course, but we were also the architects of our own downfall. From the setup, silly changes and to some poor performances… add to that City played really well and 5-1 is easily explained.

We didn’t give ourselves the best chance of getting anything tonight.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm sure City expected a bit more of a game, given that we are 8th from top not 8th from bottom. Then again, the team seems to have pretty much lost interest after we had a real chance of top 5 or even 4. Some very poor performances and Bruno seems as lost as his team.

The saving grace is that getting thumped by City is par for the course, particularly when our season is over and they have a title to play for.

wallace

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don't know why we chose to alter our defence tonight with the back four looking like it was open day for visitors or why the midfield went missing all match as de bryne was given the freedom of the city. Up top neto, jimenez and chiqueno looked promising for next season. City are the form team at the right time of the season. Who knows where we will be for Norwich, 3pts hopefully before the Liverpool avalanche.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
- The Ref is a grey haired **** end
- KDB is absolutely insane
- Raul is sadly lazy as hell
- Pedro needs learn AT TAKING A MAN ON
- We need an upgrade on Willy
- Leander (despite the goal) need to say adios
- No clean sheet in 2 months is inexcusable

I hate being negative towards some, but I am saying what I feel.

Here’s to Sunday and some players TRYING!
Blimey, I have to agree with you 100% there Kashmire! This team is done - Boly, Dendonker, Saiss, Moutinho, Jimenez. All coming to the end at the same time. You could add Coady and Neves, who I'm sure will want away asap. A complete re-think this summer.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's obviously not fit. It's desperation by Lagr playing him because our options are so bad.

Back
Top Bottom