Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Bruno- stay or out?

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm afraid I've turned after the last 3 games. We've been inconsistent all season but just lately he look's out of his depth. Since we got into a position to push for Europe, we've been largely poor. It seems to me he's fine when he finds the tactics to play well but as soon as things start to look tricky his in game management appears to be naive at best. He looks a number 2 to me rather than a leader. I take all managers post match interviews with a pinch of salt but his last 3 have been dire, yesterday he had the look and demeanour of someone who has run out of ideas. Does he deserve a chance to spend money? I'm not sure he does, Trincao and Hwang look like terrible business. I'm for letting him go.
I'm still one the fence but it's leaning toward his being out of his depth.

His article in the E&S talks about wanting players who want to 'go to war' and take the team 'to a different level' . He then states 'We are doing well and need to continue but there's things we need to improve' before analysing the penalty and goals conceded, arguing that we are conceded goals in ways we weren't earlier in the season. Didn't mention our lack of goals this time round nor our lack of creativity or intent. Even the BBC commo noted how Brighton got what they deserved because they were the only team showing any intent.

What keeps me still on the fence, however, is the team is still in essence Nuno's team who seem to be mentally conditioned to play Nuno's way. There are opinions as to why Bruno so quickly abandoned the attacking flair on the first 3 games, perhaps realising that there really isn't many, if any goal scorers, in our team, but Nuno did build a predominantly defensive team that relied on wingbacks.

Although Bruno has, it now seems, pretty much reverted to the wing back reliance of the old regime and hasn't been able to implement his way of playing, I would still argue he can't really be held accountable until he has some of his own choices in place. If Bruno was the one who opted for Trincao and Hwang then, yes, I'm off the fence but none of us know for sure.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm still one the fence but it's leaning toward his being out of his depth.

His article in the E&S talks about wanting players who want to 'go to war' and take the team 'to a different level' . He then states 'We are doing well and need to continue but there's things we need to improve' before analysing the penalty and goals conceded, arguing that we are conceded goals in ways we weren't earlier in the season. Didn't mention our lack of goals this time round nor our lack of creativity or intent. Even the BBC commo noted how Brighton got what they deserved because they were the only team showing any intent.

What keeps me still on the fence, however, is the team is still in essence Nuno's team who seem to be mentally conditioned to play Nuno's way. There are opinions as to why Bruno so quickly abandoned the attacking flair on the first 3 games, perhaps realising that there really isn't many, if any goal scorers, in our team, but Nuno did build a predominantly defensive team that relied on wingbacks.

Although Bruno has, it now seems, pretty much reverted to the wing back reliance of the old regime and hasn't been able to implement his way of playing, I would still argue he can't really be held accountable until he has some of his own choices in place. If Bruno was the one who opted for Trincao and Hwang then, yes, I'm off the fence but none of us know for sure.
Feel exactly the same ...on the fence...
Jorge n Bruno would have definitely wanted trincao.....and at the time, a lot and me included thought it was a tremendous signing but it hasn't worked but still don't think it was a bad idea.

Hwang was more the club I reckon, as we have been linked with for a long time.....some might say well why does Bruno keep playing him but the reality is hwang has scored a few and Fabio hasn't in fairness to Bruno....

None of the above is me saying we might not need to change Bruno though.....

wallace

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bruno isn't an experienced manager his one achievement is a season of huge success with Benfica, the following season results turned bad for him and he quit his position at the club. The rest of his time has been as a coach or assistant manager at several clubs so he may feel out of his depth at the end of this season and be moving on again. Big clubs need top grade managers not a trainee with the players having the skills to compete at a high level. Nunos success with the squad he had has spoiled us into thinking we are capable of climbing to the top but in reality we aren't operating at that level. Now is our chance to rebuild to maintain the excellent progress we have made by signing quality or we will be struggling to keep our top 10 status so on balance I think it's goodbye Bruno which ever way he leaves the club.

freezin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Therein lies the rub my friend! Unsure - I do know that were I to be an objective viewer, I would laugh at Wolves fans wanting the manager gone. I'd also think 'typical of an overachieving team'

Then again, I didn't bother watching today and I've lost interest since Leeds.

Some of that is down to me, yes (I do this most seasons when there isn't anything to play for), but the performances have been hot poop for the last month.

It just ****es me off when the flavour of the month becomes the villain of the piece after 5 bad games.

What happens if we win the next 4? manager of the month and hope he doesn't get poached?

I think Nuno was very very very harshly treated and I would never have sacked him. I would also argue that appointing a new manager and subsequently not backing him in the transfer market AND THEN firing him for turning 13th into 8th would be madness.

I'm quite a logical person when it comes to football, which I believe puts me in the complete minority as it's obviously meant to be a passionate passionate game.

I just find that there seems to be an almost pathological need for fans of most clubs nowadays to be Sith-like. Either everything is brilliant and these are the greatest days ever, or we'm a joke club, something is rotten etc.

Consequently, when you read message boards of teams like Palace, Southampton and Brighton (and Wolves), there are always two polemics, depending upon the recent form. In truth, we are all just 'alright' but that's not very exciting!

As a caveat, I'd have gone for Benitez and never ever have sacked Dyche, so what do I know?
Am 100% with you.

One of the drawbacks is that you don't get euphoric over the small victories but you also don't become suicidal over the small setbacks.

There is a distinct lack of knee-jerking, and whilst everyone else seems to be frothing at particular parts of the body you trust your eyes, experience and instinct to help you arrive, in relative comfort, at usually the same place, long before the bipolar masses have got there.

On the subject of Nuno - he was a victim of lockdown but he'd lost his mojo and the time was right.

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
2 seasons running the players have had no attacking threat and extremely negative..... Under 2 managers. If it was just this season I'd say it was all on Lage..... But you see him push the players forwards and tried every variation with all the frontlines and we've somehow ground out 45+ points.
More down to the players inability, and Fosuns lack of investment in the first eleven.

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bruno isn't an experienced manager his one achievement is a season of huge success with Benfica, the following season results turned bad for him and he quit his position at the club. The rest of his time has been as a coach or assistant manager at several clubs so he may feel out of his depth at the end of this season and be moving on again. Big clubs need top grade managers not a trainee with the players having the skills to compete at a high level. Nunos success with the squad he had has spoiled us into thinking we are capable of climbing to the top but in reality we aren't operating at that level. Now is our chance to rebuild to maintain the excellent progress we have made by signing quality or we will be struggling to keep our top 10 status so on balance I think it's goodbye Bruno which ever way he leaves the club.
A lot of clubs have inexperienced managers at the moment. Gerrard, Lamport, Marsch, Arteta, Viera, Bruno, whoever Burnleys manager is

Wolf in the sun

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
If reports are to be believed about pedrinho nearly signed then i would suggest fosun arent letting bruno go and are starting to back him ?

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

2 seasons running the players have had no attacking threat and extremely negative..... Under 2 managers. If it was just this season I'd say it was all on Lage..... But you see him push the players forwards and tried every variation with all the frontlines and we've somehow ground out 45+ points.
More down to the players inability, and Fosuns lack of investment in the first eleven.
Yeah this for me, most of our players are just not of the quality to play front foot attacking football

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think this season could have been much more different had we not bottled Sanches and Botman in the summer window.

Bruno probably woke up the morning after the window excited to get to work on a system that will eventually include Sanches and a defence that will have a £30m centre back at its disposal. Instead he came in, looked around Compton for them and then went about business as normal.

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Johnny Phillips got a bit of stick from some supporters when he wrote this article back in December, but I think he has been proven correct in many ways. I still think Lage should be given a chance in the summer to change the squad, but there are a couple of lines in there that struck a chord.

'“Eighty per cent of our work is offensive”, Lage announced last month.
That claim does not stand up on the pitch.'

'Wolves are looking less removed from the previous regime than some imagined, while still attempting to offer something new. Pinning anything to Lage’s team is a confusing process. Indefinable from first minute to last, this is a Wolves still searching for its identity.'

Lage still hasn't put his own 'identity' onto the team. New players might do that.

Last edited:

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A big song and dance was made about Bruno's record with young players when he joined. This seemed a big thing for our owners, as a big part of our strategy is attracting and developing talented youngsters.

There was even some rumours that part of the reason Nuno was replaced was down to his reluctance to use the younger players.

In Nuno's last season (20-21), 88 league starts were given to players aged 23 or younger.

So far this season under Lage, 47 league starts given to players 23 or younger.

Add to that Hoever's public dressing down, Fabio seemingly going backwards in terms of goalscoring and Trincao's struggles, and there's probably some question marks starting to develop with our owners over just how good a job Bruno can do in developing our young talent going forward.

Last edited:

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A big song and dance was made about Bruno's record with young players when he joined. This seemed a big thing for our owners, as a big part of our strategy is attracting and developing talented youngsters.

There was even some rumours that part of the reason Nuno was replaced was down to his reluctance to use the younger players.

In Nuno's last season (20-21), 88 league starts were given to players aged 23 or younger.

So far this season under Lage, 47 league starts given to players 23 or younger.

Add to that Hoever's public dressing down, Fabio seemingly going backwards in terms of goalscoring and Trincao's struggles, and there's probably some question marks starting to develop with our owners over just how good a job Buno can do in developing our young talent going forward.
I imagine most of those 87 under 23 starts include Neto who would start in 15 out of 20 prem teams..... Or would've pre injury.

Lage has given Kilman, Cundle, Ait Nouri, Silva, Hoever chances. And balanced that with finishing 8th. Can't believe people are slagging him off when he's got this lot finishing where they are.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I imagine most of those 87 under 23 starts include Neto who would start in 15 out of 20 prem teams..... Or would've pre injury.

Lage has given Kilman, Cundle, Ait Nouri, Silva, Hoever chances. And balanced that with finishing 8th. Can't believe people are slagging him off when he's got this lot finishing where they are.

I'm not slagging him off or giving an opinion on it, I'm just stating the numbers.

Yes, Neto made up 30 of those starts in 20/21, so you could argue that he could be excluded. But you could also argue the case for a Barcelona loanee with a £25m purchase option also being excluded for this season.

20/21 also included 14 starts for Kilman, who is no longer in the numbers for this season as he's no longer 23 or under.

Ait Nouri has the same amount of starts this season so far, Hoever and Silva fewer (down to Raul's injury too).

Outside of those mentioned, 20/21 included 11 starts for MGW, Otasowie and Vitinha. 21/22 includes 4 starts for Cundle and Gomes.

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fair enough. Personally think if he'd played the kids much more we'd have finished 10 points worse off. And only really Cundle who can breakthrough more? Would like to see MGW given time now he's got match time and experience.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fair enough. Personally think if he'd played the kids much more we'd have finished 10 points worse off. And only really Cundle who can breakthrough more? Would like to see MGW given time now he's got match time and experience.

Yeah, you could argue that it's only really Hoever and Silva that he could have given more game time too. Gomes too maybe after his promising start?

All I'm pointing out is that for a manager who was brought in with big fanfare around youth-development, we haven't really seen a lot of that this season.

Maybe that's one thing we will be seeing more of and a lot of any summer rebuild will be focussed on bringing a lot of our talented youngsters back into the fold?

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

If we sacked him the reaction in football generally would be interesting. Wouldn't give the club a very good reputation

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we sacked him the reaction in football generally would be interesting. Wouldn't give the club a very good reputation
Depends really. Football insiders probably know a lot more about what's been going on than you and l do.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Depends really. Football insiders probably know a lot more about what's been going on than you and l do.
Possibly, probably not journalists and pundits though. Not sure managerial prospects would love it

superwolves

Reaction score
He's certainly got a hard audience to please. I think the expectations are unrealistic were still 3 points off Europe it's a great achievement with the financial backing he's been working with

berwickwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For all those wanting him out where exactly in the league was you expecting him to get us to with the cards he's been dealt??
It's not the position, that's excellent but we do have players capable of achieving this. It's the performances, the lack of game management with substitutions, the tactics, the inability to create chances, the lack of progress this season in our attack, the way in which he either distances himself from the players or openly criticises them. It's the way on which he manages the side. He seems to be an outstanding coach. The evidence of the season as a manager suggests he is not capable of making that progression.
The recent form if allowed to continue would put us in the bottom half of the Premier league next season with every chance of relegation if we played like against Brighton
I think he should go. However, let's see if he can turn things round and at least make us competitive in the next 4 games. At the moment I can't actually see us scoring. But I hope I'm wrong.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's not the position, that's excellent but we do have players capable of achieving this. It's the performances, the lack of game management with substitutions, the tactics, the inability to create chances, the lack of progress this season in our attack, the way in which he either distances himself from the players or openly criticises them. It's the way on which he manages the side. He seems to be an outstanding coach. The evidence of the season as a manager suggests he is not capable of making that progression.
The recent form if allowed to continue would put us in the bottom half of the Premier league next season with every chance of relegation if we played like against Brighton
I think he should go. However, let's see if he can turn things round and at least make us competitive in the next 4 games. At the moment I can't actually see us scoring. But I hope I'm wrong.
I could have written that.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Then again look at Burnley and Dyche. That seems to have been forgotten very quickly.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Totally agree with this berwick and this is how I see it.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Cynically it's results dependent. Had Burnley lost every game since......

Very true. A fine line but it has shut the so called expert pundits up who were roundly slagging Burnley off when Dyche went. Just shows that no one knows what is really going on at clubs behind the scenes.

superwolves

Reaction score
I get some of your points but he's come into a new unfamiliar league with ideas how he's wanted to play and after the first 3 games which everyone was excited about he's finished with no points no goals. I think after assessing his squad he's realised quickly he hasn't got the personnel to play that approach and focused on getting points on the board while repeatedly saying he needs certain players in specific positions. He's been left short handed to do the job I'm sure he would have liked to do he needed the backing and didn't get it. Players quotes current and ex all seem to speak very highly of him. I'm sure nobody has said he hasn't shown some faults but he's doing a decent job under very difficult circumstances and deserves the backing of the board and fans to help him achieve what we all want

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For all those wanting him out where exactly in the league was you expecting him to get us to with the cards he's been dealt??
Good and fair question but I have a couple.
Are Wolves more or less of a threat than a couple seasons ago? Are we more or less likely to score that most clubs in the PL?
Is our defence less secure than before Xmas.
Do you think Nuno would have more or less achieved what Wolves have this season?……basically, have we progressed enough?

Last edited:

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s not all about league position ( makes little difference if we end up 8th or 16th , with another trophy less season) the style ( or lack of it) of play has a lot to do with it .

A poster above questioned the lack of young talent this season and the reply was we’d be 10 points worse off if Bruno played them …..
We’d still be above the relegation zone and those players could be playing an attractive brand of football getting more experience at the top level ( all hypothetical) ……
It was always going to be a season of transition but in reality nothings changed from the end of last season , except we’ve lost Adama and are arguably worse for it.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think if we lose out remaining 4 fixtures then Bruno won’t be in charge at the end of the season. He’s been stitched up massively by Shi and Sellars but has started to show serious flaws as a manager too. He seems to be taking the “throw enough **** at the wall and hope something sticks” approach which desperate managers take from time to time.

superwolves

Reaction score
Good and fair question but I have a couple.
Are Wolves more or less of a threat than a couple seasons ago? Are we more or less likely to score that most clubs in the PL?
Is our defence less secure than before Xmas.
Do you think Nuno would have more or less achieved what Wolves have this season?……basically, have we progressed enough?
I think Bruno has repeatedly said were lacking goalscorers in the side he's well aware of it it's something another manager couldn't have rectified without the financial backing to change personnel. The defence is the same as he inherited he's tried playing a higher line we was looked on as one of the best in the league with Kilman and coady playing arguably the best football of there careers. Nuno was and is a wolves legend the special one could have achieved anything again with the correct financial backing. Maybe the problem doesn't always lie with the manager

Last edited:

OsloWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's certainly got a hard audience to please. I think the expectations are unrealistic were still 3 points off Europe it's a great achievement with the financial backing he's been working with
The table position is brilliant, the football is absolutely dreadful. We are the most boring side in the premier league imo.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think this season could have been much more different had we not bottled Sanches and Botman in the summer window.

I find it weird how fans love throwing around the term "bottled" where it doesn't really fit. Is it that it's fun to lash out a bit at Wolves, and then you'll be reassured by people calming you down?

Did Newcastle, with their unlimited money tap, also "bottle" signing Botman? Were they also just too gutless and cowardly to go out and get it done?

Or did Lille just flat out turn everyone down, knowing that Botman's star is rising, so they'll get more money the more they hold out on it?

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Johnny Phillips got a bit of stick from some supporters when he wrote this article back in December, but I think he has been proven correct in many ways. I still think Lage should be given a chance in the summer to change the squad, but there are a couple of lines in there that struck a chord.

'“Eighty per cent of our work is offensive”, Lage announced last month.
That claim does not stand up on the pitch.'

'Wolves are looking less removed from the previous regime than some imagined, while still attempting to offer something new. Pinning anything to Lage’s team is a confusing process. Indefinable from first minute to last, this is a Wolves still searching for its identity.'

Lage is still hasn't put his own 'identity' onto the team. New players might do that.

First time I’ve seen that article. Enlightening and pretty accurate judging by what is being seen out on the pitch the last month or two.

Back
Top Bottom