Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Look at the table! 6th is ours for the taking.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Testament to the quality or financial pulling power of the Premier League is that the top 10 clubs would compete well in European competition. That is to say that the top 10 in the Premier League are among the most competitive clubs in Europe. We should really have 5 Champions League and 5 Europa League places but UEFA will never let it happen. The rise of West Ham, Leicester, Newcastle (next season) and ourselves frightens the Sky 6 and UEFA to death. A Champions League without possibly any of Chelsea, Man Utd, Man City, Liverpool, Arsenal or Spurs! Unthinkable?

Yep. There are web sites with rankings of European leagues and clubs based on recent league performance. The Premier League is highest, of course. But it still surprised me the strength of the clubs. We would be a Champions League club in most European countries, every season. We are only just behind someone like Benfica, for example. We are often ranked around 20th - 30th best club in Europe. Yet still can't get in any competition, while clubs ranked 800th from the Welsh league get in instead.

And we are being held back through the much bigger barrier of the Sky 6 we have to break to get in the Champions League. The official EUFA coefficients are based on European performance. It's a classic Catch 22 for us. Young Boys, an example at random, can get in every year, yet we would beat them over 2 legs or in a 4 team group 99% of the time. And they would have no chance if they were had to compete in the Premier League.

I think the inequalities caused by the Champions League are having impact everywhere, though. And the bigger those big names clubs get, the more the idea of them not being in it becomes impossible. If we can have a World Cup without Italy, surely we can manage a Champions League without Liverpool/Man Utd?

In the Europa league, what surprised (and annoyed) me was finding that teams who finished 3rd and 4th in pathetically low ranked leagues were in it. That seemed crazy. Better to have the club finishing 8th in the Premier League (and the Bundesliga/La Liga TBF) than the team who finished 3rd in the Gibralter league.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Man yanited have a tricky few games to play yet,and they do seem a bit disjointed.Even Rashford seems down in the dumps since the Winker arrived.They have Everton away next game,Norwich at home to follow.Then they have 2 big away games at Liverpool and Arsenal.Then a home game v Brentford,away at Brighton next,and then Chelsea at home and finish with Palace away.Not an easy set of fixtures when team coesion is low.Don't think they will be way clear of us unless we have a disastrous run in.Gonna be interesting whatever happens.

But please wolves I need European football as I'm gerrin owd.A nice couple of trips to Germany would be MY liking.

Yes, Man U may well slip up and lose 2 or 3. The problem is whether we can go on a run like Bruno got Benfica on when the won their league! We can't afford to lose more than 1, unless West Ham and Spurs also slip up. While one of those may slip up, all three won't.

I'm curious as to how we do in the Liverpool, Chelsea and City games as we aren't playing the way we used to, which managed to keep those games tight. As open as we've been recently, I can't see trying to outscore them as sensible, I think we are playing more in a way that Pep and Klopp will call "the right way" as they open us up and score loads.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yep. There are web sites with rankings of European leagues and clubs based on recent league performance. The Premier League is highest, of course. But it still surprised me the strength of the clubs. We would be a Champions League club in most European countries, every season. We are only just behind someone like Benfica, for example. We are often ranked around 20th - 30th best club in Europe. Yet still can't get in any competition, while clubs ranked 800th from the Welsh league get in instead.

And we are being held back through the much bigger barrier of the Sky 6 we have to break to get in the Champions League. The official EUFA coefficients are based on European performance. It's a classic Catch 22 for us. Young Boys, an example at random, can get in every year, yet we would beat them over 2 legs or in a 4 team group 99% of the time. And they would have no chance if they were had to compete in the Premier League.

I think the inequalities caused by the Champions League are having impact everywhere, though. And the bigger those big names clubs get, the more the idea of them not being in it becomes impossible. If we can have a World Cup without Italy, surely we can manage a Champions League without Liverpool/Man Utd?

In the Europa league, what surprised (and annoyed) me was finding that teams who finished 3rd and 4th in pathetically low ranked leagues were in it. That seemed crazy. Better to have the club finishing 8th in the Premier League (and the Bundesliga/La Liga TBF) than the team who finished 3rd in the Gibralter league.
In one way l agree but at the same time the inexorable logic of what you are saying is that more and more PL teams would get European places over time. One of the great things about qualifying for the EL was playing new, different, teams and potentially travelling to the overseas legs. The absolute last thing that l would want would be more games against the usual English suspects. That is exactly what would happen.

Mardenboroughs Shoulder

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Well said. I think it was Neves when originally asked why he had given up Champions League football to join Wolves in the Championship, who said that , if promoted to the Premier League he would be testing himself against Champions League standard teams every week.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Wolves can get 6/9 points out of Newcastle, Burnley and Brighton I firmly believe we will be playing European football of some kind next season. City at home I fancy us to push them Coady will be well up for it. Chelsea can’t be that good if Brentford smacked them and Norwich at home should be a formality they will be on the beach. Liverpool away I’d expect a loss but you never know.

West ham and Man Utd have tricky games. We’re in a great position here. A win on Friday night would really shi7 up the teams above us!!

Wolves Heathen

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We simply have to get a minimum of 6 points from the Newcastle, Burnley and Brighton games, but so far this season every time we have got ourselves into a challenging position we have slipped up, ie West Ham and Arsenal games, Palace game, Leeds can we finally nail it ?, because its between us Wet Spam and Manure who I feel will both drop points.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We simply have to get a minimum of 6 points from the Newcastle, Burnley and Brighton games, but so far this season every time we have got ourselves into a challenging position we have slipped up, ie West Ham and Arsenal games, Palace game, Leeds can we finally nail it ?, because its between us Wet Spam and Manure who I feel will both drop points.
We have to get 9 really

I think we can only afford to lose to Liverpool city and Chelsea . We have to win the rest

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Theres a chance for 6th, theres a chance for 10th
That Leeds throw away will come to haunt us for the rest of the season
As said above every time we have a chance to move into the top 6 we blow it
7 games to go and i reckon 12 points required,every game will be hard, even if they arent we will find a way to make them so,Wolves ay we

Dr Wolfenstein

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Unfortunately this line of thought leads eventually to the breakaway six, excluding anyone not deemed elite enough to compete. There has to be a balance for the good of the game at all levels. Having said that, too many European competitions just for the sake of it, with too many clubs creating a fixture pile up that impacts on domestic leagues, is counter-productive.

CologneWolf

Reaction score
We have to get 9 really

I think we can only afford to lose to Liverpool city and Chelsea . We have to win the rest
7 games to go and i reckon 12 points required,every game will be hard, even if they arent we will find a way to make them so,Wolves ay we
Even just for 7th the 12 points might not be enough. We’d finish on 61pts. That means both west ham and untied would need only 10 points from there 7 and 8 remaining fixtures respectively to also get to 61pts.

West Ham

Brentford A
Burnley H
Chelsea A
Arsenal H
Norwich A
Man City H
Brighton A

Man Utd

Everton A
Norwich H
Liverpool A
Arsenal A
Brentford H
Brighton A
Chelsea H
Palace A

Having looked at that maybe we can edge past United but definitely 12 points is a minimum.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Even just for 7th the 12 points might not be enough. We’d finish on 61pts. That means both west ham and untied would need only 10 points from there 7 and 8 remaining fixtures respectively to also get to 61pts.

West Ham

Brentford A
Burnley H
Chelsea A
Arsenal H
Norwich A
Man City H
Brighton A

Man Utd

Everton A
Norwich H
Liverpool A
Arsenal A
Brentford H
Brighton A
Chelsea H
Palace A

Having looked at that maybe we can edge past United but definitely 12 points is a minimum.
Yep i give them both 10 points from those so maybe 13 required tough ask with our fixtures

Ironfistedmonk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think we must win our next 3 to stand a chance of Europe, doubt we will get anything from Liverpool, City or Chelsea, those Leeds and West Ham defeats are looking like they are gonna cost us

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
We’ll probably have to beat one of Chelsea/Liverpool and City, as well as beating Newcastle, Burnley, Brighton and Norwich. It’s a big ask but it’s still been a good season whatever happens.

thommo1984

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hopefully West Ham stay in the Europa and take their eye off the league... They never look that good when I see them play, but they're doing just enough to keep things ticking over. United are abysmal but will probably pick up enough points.

Conclusion: that Leeds match will haunt us for a long time!

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We need to win our next 3 really for anything above 8th.

Do that and we may well go in to May in 6th, but with the most difficult remaining fixtures.

Summer_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Considering we still have 3 of the big 6 to play, we really need to win all the other games. Unless of course we pull off a surprise in one of the others

Tojo the grass

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It looks a bit of an ask now really; I will be over the moon if we finish above 8th but anything below would be a bit of a disappointment.

Axle

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To be fair we did a similar thing at Villa, so I think this probably evens itself up over the season.

We could have drawn both Leeds at home and Villa away and ended up worse off than we are now, so in all honesty I'd take the three points at Villa (which as Coady said really set us up for the rest of the season) over not losing, or winning either of those two.

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One reason to have some belief is the form table since first three games of the season. It really is incredible what we have achieved since those opening three games.

Outright fifth even when games in hand are taken into account.

View attachment 27434
It's very impressive, and great going into next season. To think we battered those first 3 games as well, seems Lage has got something.
Saying that, Arsenal started quite badly and Spurs swapped to a very good manager during that time. But the stats don't lie.

Streathamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would bet my house on not being 10th! And my car on not lower than 8th.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Even if we get close to top six, we’re not allowed sadly

Anyone who disagrees hasn’t been watching the refs this season
Wait until we bladder newcastle off the pitch they will still try and give them something

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
11 points from our next 5 games should be the absolute minimum. We have 4 very winnable games.

MontyR

Reaction score
Even if we get close to top six, we’re not allowed sadly

Anyone who disagrees hasn’t been watching the refs this season
Hasn’t only been this season. Remember the penalty against Doherty a few seasons back? We ended up missing out on top 6 by goal difference. Sky doesn’t want a smaller club getting to Europe, because then they need to start showing their games on Sundays and one of the big 6 has to have more Saturday 3PM kickoffs.

Rugrats

Reaction score

Good post - just look at Celtic and Rangers to emphasise your point - they qualify by defeating a succession of pub teams every week, providing them european riches so their complete dominance in the absurd Scottish Premier League just gets bigger. I think both would have a very hard time surviving the premiership let alone qualify from it.

Rugrats

Reaction score
Hasn’t only been this season. Remember the penalty against Doherty a few seasons back? We ended up missing out on top 6 by goal difference. Sky doesn’t want a smaller club getting to Europe, because then they need to start showing their games on Sundays and one of the big 6 has to have more Saturday 3PM kickoffs.
OK talk us through how this fix happens ? Do you think Sky calls all the refs to a meeting and says listen lads you've got to stop Wolverhampton Wanderers winning games - oh and please don't leak this meeting/email/letter/text/pigeon to anyone for the £1m scoop bonus it would get you. Get real.

Every team on the planet thinks refs are against them!

Kashmire Hawker

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Does ANYONE want 6th place? United‘s loss this lunchtime still leaves the door open.

A Brentford win v West Ham United tomorrow would do very nicely!

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sky can move whatever game they want to a Sunday. It’s irrelevant if the team they want to pick are in Europe or not. Your point makes no sense.

Tonesterwolf

Reaction score
Sky can move whatever game they want to a Sunday. It’s irrelevant if the team they want to pick are in Europe or not. Your point makes no sense.
Exactly, for instance our win at Sky 6 Spurs on a Sunday was not televised and neither was the Burnley v Liverpool game being played at the same time on that day.

D

Deleted member (smith)

Without Saiss, RAN, Semedo, Neves, podence, Neto, Jimenez Wolves are very unlikely to move up the table .

I blame Traore and Gibbs White

Back
Top Bottom