Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

No More Spiers

AberWolf

Reaction score
Listened to the main Premier League podcast on The Athletic today, covering predictions and expectations for the season They had Spiers on. The producer had Wolves in the section of clubs expecting to struggle (with Everton, Leeds, Southampton), but Tîm was very bullish about Wolves new formation and Lage's coaching and predicted us to come 7th. Never thought he was particularly optimistic in the past, so was quite surprised.
That Dan Bardell was hosting that wasn't he? Can't stand him. He makes EVERY conversation about Villa and hates Wolves. So, no surprise they had us down to struggle.

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
That Dan Bardell was hosting that wasn't he? Can't stand him. He makes EVERY conversation about Villa and hates Wolves. So, no surprise they had us down to struggle.
Bardell is okay, but you're right, he does manage to insert Villa into every conversation. What made it worse last season was that they also used to have a guy from their betting sponsor on every podcast, to talk about odds etc. and he is an Albion fan, and used to talk about Albion as much as possible too. If Tim ends up being a regular on it this season, hopefully we'll hear the Wolves perspective more often!

goldfish

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wouldn't disagree with any of that. The Athletic demonstrated what they thought of us when they cancelled our excellent podcast with Tim and Jacqui and doubled or tripled the amount of weekly podcasts for other Premier League teams. You do get the impression they're all about the big teams and just play lip service to the rest of the Premier League because they have to. I can only imagine that there aren't many subscribers who follow Wolves in comparison to some of the other teams and therefore we are a low priority.

I like some of their general articles and also follow an NFL team which they cover really well. However, I only pay £1 a month and I don't think I use it enough to carry on with another offer after my annual subscription is up.
Just cancel and another offer will come along. I stopped my sub when it got more pricey and after a couple of months took advantage of another cheap offer.

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
Just cancel and another offer will come along. I stopped my sub when it got more pricey and after a couple of months took advantage of another cheap offer.
Yes, I've always done that too. Find that I am using it so infrequently now that I am not sure I will subscribe on £1 a month. Maybe I will though, but I feel like not paying them a penny is a small protest for dropping the Wolves podcast and generally now putting all their resources into the big six. I like their general podcasts (Premier League Football Podcast, Totally Football Show, Football Cliches) but all of those are free with ads anyway.

A wanderer from Bristol

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just cancelled my subscription to the Athletic too. The new guy is an ok enough journalist, but just doesn't know enough about wolves. The thing with Tim was, that as well as his knowledge and humour, he always had a pretty good analysis, and was able to see the bigger picture, even if I didn't always agree with him. I guess the Athletic won't care a whole lot about the apparent mass Wolves exit

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yep. Madeley is off on his hols again. Amazed that anyone subscribes to the athletic now with this guy covering our team.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just cancelled my subscription to the Athletic too. The new guy is an ok enough journalist, but just doesn't know enough about wolves. The thing with Tim was, that as well as his knowledge and humour, he always had a pretty good analysis, and was able to see the bigger picture, even if I didn't always agree with him. I guess the Athletic won't care a whole lot about the apparent mass Wolves exit
I’ve done this too. I liked how Tim knew the club and was a genuine Wolves fan (not sure about the new guy). He doesn’t seem to write or report with the same enthusiasm and I’ve found myself reading less and less of the things he puts out.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In fairness he probably started the role with holidays already booked in advance. Can’t really help that
Yea fair enough but if he’s a football reporter would have have not been better served booking during the off season just in case?

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Think he is fine, if I wanted a fan to write match reports I'd read a fanzine.

Athletic is good publication, don't think it is particularly expensive compared to most other things in life. I think I pay less than a pint a month on it.

Well worth

R1ch

Reaction score
Yep. Madeley is off on his hols again. Amazed that anyone subscribes to the athletic now with this guy covering our team.
Staggering, why do they allow people time off in August when they've just had 2 months to take holiday. I bet Santa doesn't let the elves have time off in the build up to Christmas. Shame for us that Tim moved on to other things he was a good writer

Shergar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wonder why he has to announce he is on his holidays, he can post his regurgitated copy and pasted news from any where in the world in 5 minutes. It’s not like he has a desk at Molineux he just googles for his news like the rest of us.

Newbridge Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Athletic is good publication, don't think it is particularly expensive compared to most other things in life. I think I pay less than a pint a month on it.

Well worth
Not entirely selling it with the cost of a pint these days!

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Well worth

I enjoy it too. Not so much for the Wolves related stuff but some of their indepth analysis and interviews has been very good.

Don't know if I renew yet, but if I don't, its not really Wolves related.

Nige

Reaction score
Who cares ... they are all yes men anyway.. Can only tie the party line... Like all media..

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Staggering, why do they allow people time off in August when they've just had 2 months to take holiday. I bet Santa doesn't let the elves have time off in the build up to Christmas. Shame for us that Tim moved on to other things he was a good writer

People can take holiday all year round. You know, for birthdays, family things, pre-arranged holidays etc.

Hope you’re not anyone’s boss!

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Glad you're not my employer. Omg.
I agree with the poster you are having a pop at. He has a job that the work is during a set period of time and he will get the World Cup “off” from wolves responsibilities too.

By your logic teachers should be able to take leave for holidays in the school term.

Some jobs in manufacturing have times when you cannot go on holiday or are forced into saving 3-5 days for Christmas.

In some lines of work you just cannot/shouldn’t go on hold during the peak period especially when he just had 6/7 weeks to have one with no impact to customers.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree with the poster you are having a pop at. He has a job that the work is during a set period of time and he will get the World Cup “off” from wolves responsibilities too.

By your logic teachers should be able to take leave for holidays in the school term.

Some jobs in manufacturing have times when you cannot go on holiday or are forced into saving 3-5 days for Christmas.

In some lines of work you just cannot/shouldn’t go on hold during the peak period especially when he just had 6/7 weeks to have one with no impact to customers.
He's a journalist who has just moved coverage. We're not talking essentials here.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not only taking a holiday during the season but also while the transfer window is open. Not a great look is it. He has from mid May til mid August to have a break ffs. You can bet his employers are not overly impressed.

W

WasStefan

Sorry but it’s ridiculous to suggets someone recently employed to a job should now cancel any planned leave. Give your head a wobble folks

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's a journalist who has just moved coverage. We're not talking essentials here.
Still a football journalist, he hasn’t changed sector or sport. Just teams.

If he was still with the baggies, he would have still missed their games.

We as wolves fans who subscribed because of spiers and the qualitaty he produced with the poddy and articles.

This new guy is a massive sign of how little they think of wolves, when they cancelled the excellent podcast with J.O which was one of their top ones and putting a guy in who missed some of pre-season and a week in the season just shows little care and thought for wolves fans paying their money.

For some people this is an essential to their access to football as it is a big way they access their info and football news as they don’t like the sun, the Mail or Twitter.

Newbridge Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sorry but it’s ridiculous to suggets someone recently employed to a job should now cancel any planned leave. Give your head a wobble folks
Kind of depends. It’s a pretty high profile job compared to sitting anonymously in an office. The employment laws might be the same, but the reality is you should make sacrifices to be at the top of your field.

W

WasStefan

Kind of depends. It’s a pretty high profile job compared to sitting anonymously in an office. The employment laws might be the same, but the reality is you should make sacrifices to be at the top of your field.
Sorry but there is no difference at all

W

WasStefan

Everything changes when you take a role in the public realm, which this is. Image is everything if you want to succeed.
Many things u can criticise him for. Going on a pre booked holiday prior to him even landing the job isn’t one of them

Newbridge Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Many things u can criticise him for. Going on a pre booked holiday prior to him even landing the job isn’t one of them
I hope he has a good break. Also hope he’s comfortable with the image it provides in a public role.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But he isn’t recently employed in the sector he works in though, going on holiday now is a bit of a silly thing to do when there are lots of news and stories to hunt from pre-season, the season starting and the transfer window.

Kind of a crucial time to be at work and trying to impress the customers of the new club your reporting on to make sure they don’t think about unsubscribing.

To be fair though, would you expect any thing less from a baggie….. thick as pig **** hahahaaha

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Public role? he’s a correspondent for a football team, the bloke is entitled to a week or two off
But it is a public role, as the work he produces is consumed by the public with his name and face very much front and centre on it.

He is entitled to leave, but it is poor form to do it now when he had 6-8 weeks to do so in the summer off season, plus it being the transfer window and start of the competitive fixtures.

Newbridge Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Public role? he’s a correspondent for a football team, the bloke is entitled to a week or two off
It’s a high profile role in the public realm, the top of his field. If he’s happy with an image of not turning up at an important part of the process then that’s alright if he feels it’s not important in succeeding. Wish him well.

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He was already an Athletic correspondent for the Albion so even before he knew he was getting the Wolves gig he’d have assumed he was covering them lot instead still. It’s not like he’s new in to the company or to this type of role having done it previously for the E&S too.

So whilst I agree with you to an extent, I don’t think your reasoning applies here.

Back
Top Bottom