Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Would you sell Coady or keep

Coady

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we get £20m plus, it is a great deal for everyone

Absolutely love Conor Coady and always will. It makes me sad we never saw him lift a major trophy because like Emelyn Hughes and Billy Wright before him, he is a Wolves captain great.

We should be proud he has been associated with this club.

However and to end on a negative note, he isn't imo good enough to be a defender for a PL side looking to transition to a back four. Therefore if he can find another club in the PL who can play him in a five, this move makes sense for all.

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am more worried about Boly playing than Coady.
I think his best days are far behind him unfortunately. It seems that COVID has really derailed his career. Very sad to see from a player who was excellent for us in his first three seasons with us. He really made defending look easy which is a testament to how good he was.

ombyman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been mentioned, but with the Everton link, isnt he a self confessed massive Liverpool fan?!
Surely that won't be popular with the natives!

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been mentioned, but with the Everton link, isnt he a self confessed massive Liverpool fan?!
Surely that won't be popular with the natives!
It won’t be popular with them.
If he was a striker and scored half a dozen goals in his first ten games it’d quickly be forgotten, but as a defender he’d get blamed for every conceded goal. If they start poorly, which could easily happen, it’ll turn sour for him.

I sincerely want the best for him. If he has to leave I hope spurs come in for him.

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Looks like the answer is “sell”. I may be alone but I then expect a replacement to come in.

I don’t see Boly getting much game time and whilst I like the look of Toti I would worry about injury/loss of form of one of Collins or Kilman.

I also am struggling to see a Back 5 if we play that in big 6 games - who will take on Coady’s role.

I may be wrong but I can see an incoming £10m CB.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know it's early doors but the whole defence (all four of them) were at sixes and sevens yesterday, and I don't mean ratings. More like fours and fives.

There was no calmness, no organisation. Just total panic for ninety minutes.

On that performance, I'm not sure the formation change is what's required, even though Bruno seems hell bent on implementing it. If it doesn't fix the issues then Bruno's gone by Xmas anyway.

Would be a shame to sacrifice one of our top performers over the last five years for a failed tactics change. The next manager would in all probability love to have Coady in the ranks.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

I know it's early doors but the whole defence (all four of them) were at sixes and sevens yesterday, and I don't mean ratings. More like fours and fives.

There was no calmness, no organisation. Just total panic for ninety minutes.

On that performance, I'm not sure the formation change is what's required, even though Bruno seems hell bent on implementing it. If it doesn't fix the issues then Bruno's gone by Xmas anyway.

Would be a shame to sacrifice one of our top performers over the last five years for a failed tactics change. The next manager would in all probability love to have Coady in the ranks.
They had 4 shots on target, honestly they barely threatened us for most of the game other than RAN making a stupid error and then one decent move.

People massively exaggerating us being supposedly cut to ribbons in the defence.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They had 4 shots on target, honestly they barely threatened us for most of the game other than RAN making a stupid error and then one decent move.

People massively exaggerating us being supposedly cut to ribbons in the defence.
They looked terrified. Two goals conceded due to awful defending.

Every time Leeds came at the defence, they all flapped, even if ultimately the attacks were dealt with, they weren't with ease or composure.

Jonny (Mr 7/10) was under par.

RAN was shaky defensively

Collins was meh

Kilman had to use his pace to correct mistakes of his own making.

I'd wage Leeds will find themselves in the bottom eight, we'll play much better teams than them and the back four is more or less the back four (Semedo excepted).

I'd not be rushing to sell our best hope (Coady) of changing things up, if and when a four ain't working.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

They looked terrified. Two goals conceded due to awful defending.

Every time Leeds came at the defence, they all flapped, even if ultimately the attacks were dealt with, they weren't with ease or composure.

Jonny (Mr 7/10) was under par.

RAN was shaky defensively

Collins was meh

Kilman had to use his pace to correct mistakes of his own making.

I'd wage Leeds will find themselves in the bottom eight, we'll play much better teams than them and the back four is more or less the back four (Semedo excepted).

I'd not be rushing to sell our best hope (Coady) of changing things up, if and when a four ain't working.
Coady marshalled a dismal defence last year, bailed out by the keeper.

Leeds barely created a chance, we made one massive rick to create a goal for them

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Looks like the answer is “sell”. I may be alone but I then expect a replacement to come in.

I don’t see Boly getting much game time and whilst I like the look of Toti I would worry about injury/loss of form of one of Collins or Kilman.

I also am struggling to see a Back 5 if we play that in big 6 games - who will take on Coady’s role.

I may be wrong but I can see an incoming £10m CB.
Am I missing something? 54% saying "keep" but the answer is "sell"?

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Exactly, we couldn't defend where there was nothing to defend.
Except we did, hence them barely creating a proper chance. Last year Leeds away we had half the shots, 20 % less possession and still conceded more shots were just lucky with Leeds finishing.

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For such a small amount of money we should keep him here, we won't really miss him until he's gone as we have nobody capable of motivating the team other than him. Strengthening another side who is going to be alongside us at the bottom is madness. Saying all that it's typical Poundshop the bloke is an incompetent chancer.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Except we did, hence them barely creating a proper chance. Last year Leeds away we had half the shots, 20 % less possession and still conceded more shots were just lucky with Leeds finishing.
This season we stopped a very poor team from creating many chances, yet they still ran us ragged.

I'm discussing it with my wife (she's asking what I'm typing on my phone)...

Her analogy (I'm surprised at her perception) - "Wolves defended like they were playing City or Liverpool. It looked last ditch".

Not acceptable v Leeds.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This season we stopped a very poor team from creating many chances, yet they still ran us ragged.

Her analogy (I'm surprised at her perception) - "Wolves defended like they were playing City or Liverpool. It looked last ditch".

Not acceptable v Leeds.
Playing in a back four means you are far more susceptible to being exposed to one-on-one's, especially when the game was as end-to-end as it was yesterday. We desperately lack a midfielder that can break up play, because Leeds split us through the middle so easily at times, but I wouldn't square the blame at either of Collins or Kilman, who actually did well to cope with the onslaught of the first half.

Dendoncker and Neves are too slow at times. Neves makes up for this obviously with the other aspects of his game, but we desperately need to find him an athletic midfield partner that can make up for his biggest weakness which is his lack of mobility to cover that ground and protect the back four.

Yes I can appreciate Jonny, and especially Sa & RAN, had poor games not to their usual standards, but it's also the first game of the season and adapting to a new system there was never going to be a seamless transition, pre-season never really pushes you to the rigours of a game in the hardest league in the world.

I don't think Leeds are a good side, I think they could go down, which is what made yesterday's result especially painful, but when everything clicks going forward, we'll also have more of a goal threat than we did with the back five, because of the extra forward and far less isolated wingers that aren't expected to make something out of nothing. I think Hwang did well yesterday, but if we had Raul starting yesterday I do think it would have given us more of a focal point and changed the game.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Playing in a back four means you are far more susceptible to being exposed to one-on-one's, especially when the game was as end-to-end as it was yesterday. We desperately lack a midfielder that can break up play, because Leeds split us through the middle so easily at times, but I wouldn't square the blame at either of Collins or Kilman, who actually did well to cope with the onslaught of the first half.

Dendoncker and Neves are too slow at times. Neves makes up for this obviously with the other aspects of his game, but we desperately need to find him an athletic midfield partner that can make up for his biggest weakness which is his lack of mobility to cover that ground and protect the back four.

Yes I can appreciate Jonny, and especially Sa & RAN, had poor games not to their usual standards, but it's also the first game of the season and adapting to a new system there was never going to be a seamless transition, pre-season never really pushes you to the rigours of a game in the hardest league in the world.

I don't think Leeds are a good side, I think they could go down, which is what made yesterday's result especially painful, but when everything clicks going forward, we'll also have more of a goal threat than we did with the back five, because of the extra forward and far less isolated wingers that aren't expected to make something out of nothing. I think Hwang did well yesterday, but if we had Raul starting yesterday I do think it would have given us more of a focal point and changed the game.
All I'm saying is I wouldn't sell Coady, a better player than anyone we could sign to play in the middle of a three.

Not convinced a back four is the solution. As you've stated, midfield is where our ills lie. By selling Coady, we're putting all our eggs in one basket.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All I'm saying is I wouldn't sell Coady, a better player than anyone we could sign to play in the middle of a three.

Not convinced a back four is the solution. As you've stated, midfield is where our ills lie. By selling Coady, we're putting all our eggs in one basket.
We are, but I absolutely think it's the right thing to do. However, I've been saying that on here for a very long time so I am a bit biased!

mcwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Tough one, if wolves do sell and have a crap season this will be looked at as a defining factor. What ever happens Conner has been a great captain and ambassador for the club.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We are, but I absolutely think it's the right thing to do. However, I've been saying that on here for a very long time so I am a bit biased!
It's fine as long as the transition works. If not, there's no going back without serious investment. It's an unacceptable risk for me.

Selling our captain to a club we're likely to be in direct competition with just ain't smart either.

Oh Robbie Robie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Difficult one this as we need to be versatile and able to switch formations / tactics to suit opponents and match situations. Coady excels in the middle of the three at the back and he's been very consistent in that role. Also, it's clear how he pulls everyone together and that creates a team ethos. Losing him risks losing our ability to change tactics and who knows the effect in the dressing room... but I can't imagine it would be a positive change.

That said, every player has a shelf life and every player is a commodity with a peak value. From a business stand point you want to sell at the top of the market and it's very arguable that Coady is at that point right now and will not appreciate any further in value.

It's a difficult call. One based on emotion for fans, one of business for the club. One thing is for sure, he will go down as a Wolves great in years to come. He has played a crucial role in our development over the last 5 years and I would be very sorry to see him leave.

Cuban Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
People saying that with Coady being a red, he wouldn't look at Everton, but if i recall correctly, aren't most of his family (uncle? blue noses)?

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Not acceptable v Leeds.
With respect to your wife, I don't agree. We didn't give them the ball. The first goal is an individual error you can't legislate for, which we had a huge amount of in a 5 last year and the 2nd is a good deal with Jonny caught out of position which again we had tons of last year.

We were more shakey in a whole heap of games last season

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

People saying that with Coady being a red, he wouldn't look at Everton, but if i recall correctly, aren't most of his family (uncle? blue noses)?
I'm of the opinion players never give a single **** about that.

Carragher, Fowler to name but a few

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With respect to your wife, I don't agree. We didn't give them the ball. The first goal is an individual error you can't legislate for, which we had a huge amount of in a 5 last year and the 2nd is a good deal with Jonny caught out of position which again we had tons of last year.

We were more shakey in a whole heap of games last season
I don't think we were. The whole team without the ball looked **** scared yesterday.

NJ Wolves

Reaction score
I worry about lack of leadership if he goes. Other than Coady and Ruben, do we have any leaders? Maybe Mouts

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I see Godfrey got injured yesterday and ended up in hospital. I'd be amazed now if Everton don't come in for him and provided we get a money up front deal (to re-invest this window) I'd let him go and hope he makes the England team. Kilman and Collins are the way ahead and 4 is the system which we must stick with.

A wanderer from Bristol

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I only voted sell because i think we owe it to Connor to give him a chance to make the world cup. Not fair to expect him to sit on the bench this season with occasional sub appearances and maybe the odd starter against the big boys

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Have a friend who is well connected at West Ham. Says they have put a bid in for Coady but expect him to choose Everton. Also says Forest have a bid in for Benrahma (not sure if that has implications on the Gibbs-White situation).

Starsky

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I understand the sale(not for 12m mind), but big pressure on Max/Collins now.

If that doesn't work, we are in a world of ****.

Suppose thems the breaks when you've got Aldershot's budget.

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would keep him as I think this 4 at the back will be ditched 10 games in if not sooner when we start shipping goals .

For me I would alternate between the two but was obvious we needed at least a striker and cm of quality to do this at least .

Think guedes is a good player but more a winger . Really need a selfish striker that leads the line . So will wait and see if he can play that role or we are screwed .

thommo1984

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Surely, surely, surely even our current masterminds aren't stupid enough to loan him?

Back
Top Bottom