Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Leeds Vs Wolves verdict

floydstreet

Reaction score
It really is pathetic isn't it.

I don't know how any footy fan can watch that today and come away thinking Donk is the problem, or MGW is the problem. The problem is the lack of a squad, it really isn't complicated ffs.
Spot on mate
We could and should have gone 2-1 up
We made a few defensive mistakes that were punished
Then to change the game there were no options aside from a back three defensive change
So simple we need a striker and some more options for the bench. If Bruno doesn’t get that support then ofc they’ll be issues
But performance wasn’t that bad and calm down. I swear some get off on the negativity, please don’t bring that to molineux or you’ll have a toxic and negative atmosphere that is easier for the away teams than us. Get behind them (whilst understanding of course we need options) and don’t for one minute turn up next Saturday with the mindset that we have a divine right to beat Fulham and if we don’t riot.
That’s not support

R

reanswolf

It really is pathetic isn't it.

I don't know how any footy fan can watch that today and come away thinking Donk is the problem, or MGW is the problem. The problem is the lack of a squad, it really isn't complicated ffs.
He played better than normal but he is a problem at this level.

Lack of squad today was the key issue you are right, and most people are saying that.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Same here, never thought it would happen but after 64 years of support getting to the point that I don't really care, expected a defeat so not suprised, just wish Fosun, Jeff et al would **** off.
That's sad mate. But you are probably like me. I really try not to care, and then get ****ed off...which means I do care, and I can't even fool myself!

TF2Wolf

Reaction score
I’ve had a moan but am strangely ambivalent towards things. I mean, I’m gutted we lost and was angry that we lost to such a poor side but I kind of expected this too. What else was going to happen when we have no forward and no attacking options and no feasible midfield options on the bench? I feared this would happen and it has.

Just hope the jokers who have incompetently carried on with their transfer dealings this summer actually pull their fingers out and realise it’s genuinely a matter of sign 3 or 4 players or prepare for a relegation battle.
Sums up how I’m feeling

Reactions: Ned

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I will say that our defence pairing of Collins and Kilman looks like it could be good but the full backs were abysmal and gave them no help at all.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Played well in phases but we defended very poorly, both goals were comical to a degree. Think that back 4 will leak a lot this season.

Leeds tired early in the 2nd half and their coach responded by making 4 subs, while we couldn't due to having next to no options available. Negligent by Shi and Sellars.
Are the Leeds bench any better than ours?

Taffywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I could just bring up when you said it last season if that makes you feel better?
You're right I did. I still feel we massively over achieved. Am I wrong in thinking our squad is amongst the 5th worst in the Prem?

Golden Oldie

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
A friend at the game has suggested we looked disorganised ..... defence way short of what the PL requires , and .... whilst not sure what the formation was, is our 'forward line' the shortest in PL history?

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Haven't read all comments but hope nobody is blaming RAN for the second. The first is certainly his fault mostly though.
2nd is mainly Jonny randomly standing high and wide instead of tucking and forcing the pass out to the wing. Just not got the legs to get back anymore

Also Neves gets trapped in no man's land, can't press ball and can't stop the pass

A friend at the game has suggested we looked disorganised ..... defence way short of what the PL requires , and .... whilst not sure what the formation was, is our 'forward line' the shortest in PL history?
Don't think the defense looked that bad tbf, couple of individual errors we weren't really under siege.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
2nd is mainly Jonny randomly standing high and wide instead of tucking and forcing the pass out to the wing. Just not got the legs to get back anymore

Also Neves gets trapped in no man's land, can't press ball and can't stop the pass

Don't think the defense looked that bad tbf, couple of individual errors we weren't really under siege.
Is Jonny supposed to be marking Bamford there? His man is on the sideline.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Is Jonny supposed to be marking Bamford there? His man is on the sideline.
Exactly, his man is completely out of the game so tuck in and force the ball wide to him but he can't because his legs won't let him get back.

Look how far behind the play he is. He is 3 yards behind the rest of the back line, if he is in line he intercepts that pass or forces it to go wide.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We were lucky we played Leeds reserves because I reckon we would have been annihilated against the rest of the division.

Might want to look how Forest, Southampton and Villa did. Far worse than us. And Everton don't look good. Not much to cling too, but gives us small hope we can survive the relegation battle.

Andywolf74

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I guess with minimal transfer activity over the summer, it’s no great surprise we start the season in a similar vain to how we finished the last. Simple really but if you don’t improve you go backwards.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Haven't read all comments but hope nobody is blaming RAN for the second. The first is certainly his fault mostly though.

Looked like he Lost his man and trying to make up for it put it in his own net, few players should've done better though

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One game, a 2-1 defeat where for a good part of it we completely played them off the park. Playing a new formation. Give it a rest.
That is closer to my assessment. Played lovely sweeping football for much of the game, good chances and situations scorned.

Lots of promise.

Collins looked very accomplished, Hwang showed his potential, Neto close to outstanding.

Still a bit reckless in defence, have to cut out silly mistakes. Need Sa to play at his best, of course.

Leeds tended to strongarm us, and this may be a pattern in the early season as referees take a laissez faire attitude.

3 players, however, needed as minimum to give options and make use of the 5 sub change. Leeds benefitted from the fresh legs, and
it was, I felt, a mistake to stick with the starting 11 in warm weather.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Agreed. If he can stay fit, very useful player. Lovely assist for the goal, and for setting up Dendonker for clear chance.
He is limited but asked to play the right role he will do it pretty well. Makes smart runs, has good burst of pace and gets shots away.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Inglorious"
Reaction score
Well just back. Only had a quick glance through the thread, but seems very negative to me. First half was probably about even, but for 25 minutes after half time we totally dominated and our failure to score during that period is what really cost us.

In terms of individuals all of the defenders had some issues for me except Collins. It's a massive adjustment to go to a 4 and the others will take time to adjust I think.

Neves and Donck did well and to be honest I'd stick with them in preference to Mouts. Some filling in for the fullbacks which also exposed them at times. Neves's ball in the build up to our goal was a thing of beauty. Donck should probably have got a goal.

The front 4 played well together for me. My bar for Hwang is low, but he didn't look like a competition winner at least, could have scored a Gazza style goal, but he didn't...
Neto was the main threat, just couldn't find the end product. The system suits Podence well, but he didn't really create much. MGW worked his socks off even if not a lot came off for him.

So get in Batashuayi and someone else for the CDM maybe (although I don't think the whole 'ball carrier') player fits into this system.

Largely enjoyed the game even if the outcome was frustrating.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Well just back. Only had a quick glance through the thread, but seems very negative to me. First half was probably about even, but for 25 minutes after half time we totally dominated and our failure to score during that period is what really cost us.

In terms of individuals all of the defenders had some issues for me except Collins. It's a massive adjustment to go to a 4 and the others will take time to adjust I think.

Neves and Donck did well and to be honest I'd stick with them in preference to Mouts. Some filling in for the fullbacks which also exposed them at times. Neves's ball in the build up to our goal was a thing of beauty.

The front 4 played well together for me. My bar for Hwang is low, but he didn't look like a competition winner at least, could have scored a Gazza style goal, but he didn't...
Neto was the main threat, just couldn't find the end product. The system suits Podence well, but he didn't really create much. MGW worked his socks off even if not a lot came off for him.

So get in Batashuayi and someone else for the CDM maybe (although I don't think the whole 'ball carrier') player fits into this system.

Largely enjoyed the game even if the outcome was frustrating.
Two sitting midfielders and a more progressive one to let the full-backs (when Semedo is back) push on and support the front 3 would be ideal.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He is limited but asked to play the right role he will do it pretty well. Makes smart runs, has good burst of pace and gets shots away.

Yes, as many predicted, he looked much much better playing more centrally. Shame that "Gazza" chip and turn away didn't go in. Things like that show he has got some ability, it's a matter of finding the role where he can show it.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Yes, as many predicted, he looked much much better playing more centrally. Shame that "Gazza" chip and turn away didn't go in. Things like that show he has got some ability, it's a matter of finding the role where he can show it.
He is one of those players who is worse with the more time he has, his touch isn't very good so when he just reacts to stuff it tends to be better. Most (if not all) of his goals have been one touch finishes

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Exactly, his man is completely out of the game so tuck in and force the ball wide to him but he can't because his legs won't let him get back.

Look how far behind the play he is. He is 3 yards behind the rest of the back line, if he is in line he intercepts that pass or forces it to go wide.
I understand your point, but it was also on the counter so they aren't exactly set. I just think it's very harsh for you to berate Jonny for that.

TheTwoPigeons

Groupie
Reaction score
Don't think we played badly really, lost because we couldn't put away our chances which is a surprise to no one.

The incredibly worrying thing is that in a season introducing 5 subs for the first time, even when losing, Bruno only decided to bring on one player in the 85th minute who's barely played any premier league football.

That is frightening and I think this is the worst our bench has ever looked in the premier league in terms of attacking options. Something we've been crying out for the last two seasons and we're worse than ever.

OsloWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The lack of options from the bench is just baffeling being that we are a premier league club. If plan A was to use the Neves money to invest... What was plan B? Did they even have one?

Anyway... That is 7 defeats from 10 for Bruno Lage, and several of them in games where our 11 on paper is superiour to our opponents - including today.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

I understand your point, but it was also on the counter so they aren't exactly set. I just think it's very harsh for you to berate Jonny for that.
I'm not berating him, I feel sorry for him. He knows where he needs to be he just can't get there anymore. You are right he was probably further up than other defenders as well was down our right.

I hope he just needs more time to get right physically after pre-season. But it is continuation of stuff I saw last season. Brighton at home springs to mind, he looked miles off the pace.

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We won on XG.

Urgh ****ing Leeds. Such a **** team and time and time again they ****ing beat us.

Starting a premier league season with that bench is madness. If Bruno trusted them, great, but he clearly doesn't so there is effectively no bench.
I still ****ing hate Leeds

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Better quality of younger players that they have invested in. Ours arent their level of quality.
That’s not good. We seem to loan ours out anyway and the ones we do keep Bruno sent a clear message that he doesn’t rate them.

Back
Top Bottom