Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Leeds Vs Wolves verdict

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Struggled first half with Leeds press, but started the second half very strongly and dominated up until about the 70th minute, their goal completely changed the game. We were pretty poor in the final third, final ball wasn't great, Meslier made some incredible saves as well.

Expected more from the front four if I'm being honest, although Hwang did everything he could. Kilman and Collins it's hard to criticise them, hardly put a foot wrong. Sa all over the place in the first half and at fault for their goal, VAR should have given them a penalty as well when he decided to be Superman again. Ait-Nouri pretty disappointing as well, gave the ball away all first half, looked quite weak in the tackle, let his man get the run on him for their second goal.

A lot that needs to improve, but also some very encouraging signs. Disappointing though to lose to a very poor Leeds team, who I think will struggle to stay up based on this showing. Our lack of ANYTHING on the bench is actually a joke. I know Semedo, Traore, Moutinho, Jimenez all out injured but we've all been crying out for a striker and midfielder for months and still nothing has materialised, and it's becoming a bit of a joke at this point, as we have U23's making up the majority of our bench.

Sa - 4 - Improved second half, but that first half was as poor as he will ever play for us.
Jonny - 6 - hard to criticise Jonny, sturdy performance, good going forwards and defensively.
Collins - 6 - didn't think he did much wrong, comfortable on the ball.
Kilman - 6 - didn't think he did much wrong, comfortable on the ball. Should have scored.
RAN - 4 - Hopefully only way is up from this performance. He's so much better than this. Have to remember he's only just turned 21.
Neves - 6 - Don't think it was his worst game, felt a little behind the pace at times compared to his usual standards, but not bad.
Dendoncker - 6 - Unlucky not to score twice thanks to a couple of incredible saves from Meslier. Needed to come deeper first half to help.
Neto - 6 - Tried and tried, but still seems a little rusty to me. Needs a goal to get his confidence back.
Podence - 6 - Again, not for lack of trying, but a lot of his final balls in the final third weren't up to his usual standards.
MGW - 5 - Just went missing at times, when he does get into the game he makes things happen. It will click.
Hwang - 7 - MOTM for me, ran his socks off and did everything in his power to help us get the win today, proved a lot of people wrong.

I hope this defeat wakes the ownership up, we need a quality midfielder that can start next to Neves, and a striker that can provide competition to Raul. If we don't address those two positions, it's going to be a very long season.

BCWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I will think there will be chants next week if we lose to Fulham or have limited options off the bench and we are drawing.

I think fans are sick of the **** now especially after price rises .
I can see a John Richards-type incident where fans turn on Shi and Sellars. I sincerely doubt either have any idea just how toxic Molineux will get, perhaps as soon as next week against Fulham.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Sa 5
Big save but absolute calamity in first half. Hope the save warms him up

Jonny
Don't want to give him a rating out of respect for a great servant. Totally and utterly done. Physically shot and he knows it. Really sad. Semedo back ASAP.

Kilman 6
Pretty poor on the ball and should have thrown himself at the cross.

Collins 6
Brought ball forward pretty well, also didn't do great at times.

Ait-Nouri 4
Dismal mental errors, looked like he was not aware season had started.

Neves 8
Really poor 1st half, brilliant 2nd half. Showed the class he has as Leeds pressed faded. Against a high press a serious concern still, he has to be more press resistant.

Donk 8
Really great breaking up play, won tons of ball and should have done better with first chance but excellently times run.

Podence 6
Some nice touches, head on a swivel but left too many passes short.

MGW 6.5
Showed he had what we lack, lovely close control be created angles for Neves in particular.

Neto 7
Brilliant at times but decision making still not there (as it won't be at his age) and messed up a few good attacks

Hwang 7
Really good in first half, worked his **** off. Good performance

Lage broadly got it right with the hand he was dealt.

We all know what we need, CM the key as it has needed to be upgraded for years. ST as well but Hwang showed he is a solid player centrally

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some serious questions need to be put to the people running our club.

How after four years in top flight can we start a fifth season with such a threadbare squad? Not to have a single, recognised centre forward available is complete negligence.

I fear the chickens will come home to roost if we aren’t decisive in the next week or two.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think it’s important to state again how terrible Leeds are. Any team coming below them WILL be relegated. They worked hard, kept pressing, had adults on the bench and made the most of it.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jeff shi and Scott sellers get the **** out of our club!!!!

We just lost to a relegation fave team who were weakened by injury and had nothing on the bench to fix it.

They are setting us up for a crap season and there is no excuse for it other than apathy and being **** at your job……

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Negatives? New season, new system, same players, same problems. Cannot defend and cannot put the ball in the back of the net. Sa chucking in a 2/10 performance didn’t help, either. Looked like a raffle winner first half. He couldn’t even kick the ball. RAN absolutely shocking as well.

Never mind though, the season doesn’t actually start until September right? These games don’t count for actual points do they? That’s what I keep reading anyway, something along those lines.

We’ve just lost to a team who just about avoided relegation last season and lost their two best players over summer. We need significant reinforcements, now.

This defeat is squarely on the shoulders of Jeff Shi and Scott Sellars. You should look at that subs bench and be embarrassed of yourselves.

Positives? Second half we played well for the first 25 minutes or so. Some really nice football but still no finishing touch.

Cousins78

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Positives

* started both halves well, good interplay at times and hwang looked decent up top for 70 mins
* neves was class esp 2nd half
* neto back to his best at times but wish he would be more clinical

Negatives

*squad depth embarrassing,big few weeks for fosun as fans are starting to turn
*Individual mistakes cost us, RAN and Sa for first goal and Donk losing his man and collins flat footed for 2nd goal. We created so many of our own problems today
*finishing is so poor, Donks chance on ht needs to go in, neto, podence and MGW will not get you goals in this division

Hoping for Fosuns sake there are a couple of new signings by fulham or else it could turn sour quickly

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Your first paragraph could easily have been from last season. Its not good enough and i dont think anyone should be excusing whats happening here.

No, because most of last season our football reverted to that turgid, grind out a result style. Today wasn't that. We threw caution to the wind, however, with the strike power of a lettuce leaf, lost out rather than winning a 3-2 thriller.

Reaction score
Other than the result, wasn't everything else much, much better than most of last season? Got forward lots, created loads of chances. I bet most neutrals would watch that and say "Wolves were unlucky, they were the better team" rather than "Wolves look nailed on for relegation".

Tactically, just like the start of last season, it showed Bruno could manage a team playing more attacking. However, we clearly are at least one player (a goal scorer) away, also needing a midfielder (or two).
Not sure which match you were watching, obviously wasn’t the same one as me - basically looked identical to a large chunk of last season the end of it in particular.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No, because most of last season our football reverted to that turgid, grind out a result style. Today wasn't that. We threw caution to the wind, however, with the strike power of a lettuce leaf, lost out rather than winning a 3-2 thriller.

Again, like people were saying last season. It was exactly what was being said after our first 3 losses last season.

Reaction score
I can see a John Richards-type incident where fans turn on Shi and Sellars. I sincerely doubt either have any idea just how toxic Molineux will get, perhaps as soon as next week against Fulham.
I think they may well be about to find out!

Stratman Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As someone wrote in the comments thread they are dreading how toxic this season is going to be. I dread it too. Molineux is going to be an angry bitter place this season as everyone's patience has (rightly) worn thin with Fosun's skint act. Jezza Shi has come Jezza Moxey: empty promises and empty pocketbooks. I get investing smart and being careful after covid and UEFA fines but those excuses are worn out and don't work anymore. Where are the bloody players for Bruno? How can we not have a bench? All this about being smart with your assets, Fosun is going to see their "asset" our club tumble down if they don't do the bare minimum of filling out a bloody squad.

Stourwolf

Reaction score
Neto was a our only shining light. Thought Kilman and Donk were decent. The rest i think were below average. A good side will tear us to shreds if we continue to be this open.
Donk gets a lot of stick but I thought he was good today.won a lot of 2nd balls.
Thankfully we have still got him or who else is there with a bit of height and power ?

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That's 7 defeats in our last 10, and essentially more of the same. Purple patches that we don't capitalise upon, toothlessness, difficulties against high energy, individual mistakes and a general lack of desire. If you can believe it, coasting to a 3-0 win against Besiktas does not translate into the blood and thunder of the Premier League. Add today that our bench has never been worse under Fosun (which includes the two Championship seasons) and I fear Fulham at home could be toxic. Perhaps it needs to be.

Simply put, Shi and Sellars have 3 weeks to properly back their manager. If they fail to do this, they should both resign.

Hrothgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Doesnt take long for all the hype and anticipation ( of a new season) to evaporate does it?! The “huge” pre-season that never was and here we are off to a bad start against weakened opposition and still with a number of key players who possibly would rather be elsewhere! What a mess- any way the only way is up now I suppose! Still just about time for Fosun to restore some financial impetus- because make no mistake that has been the problem- we can blame Sellars or Shi or even poor old Bruno all we like but they are all just employees.

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don't up the prices abd expect us to be happy with the same **** product. I say product as that's how Jeff sees us . So if he reads this he may understand....

TF2Wolf

Reaction score
The attacking options on that bench were unacceptable for a team entering its 5th straight season in the PL.
To be honest the attacking options with Hwang up front were also unacceptable.

It’s not only up front though we need different types of midfielders in the team someone more physical who can take control and protect the back four.

Let’s put this into perspective Leeds are a team many are tipping for a relegation battle and to possibly go down yet we made them look good.

Here’s hoping Fosun realise they need to spend some decent money on a few first team ready players to protect their investment

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not sure which match you were watching, obviously wasn’t the same one as me - basically looked identical to a large chunk of last season the end of it in particular.

There's a big difference between the thrashings by Brighton, Man City , the capitulation at home to Leeds, the limp non events against Arsenal, the usual Burnley defeat etc, and today. Today we had more shots, more chances, more possession than Leeds. . And more in one match than we managed in about half a dozen added together from end of last season. We dominated for 25 minutes in second half in a way we never did at any time last season. Individual errors let us down.

Ches78

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I still can't believe we've got into this mess. How far do you need to look down the leagues to find a collectively weaker bench than the one we put out - mid to bottom championship? Shi and/or Sellers need to go, now. Their collective incompetence will eventually (maybe not this season) drag us back down to the championship. The lack of direction, meaningful investment and bizarre outgoings has caught up with us. This isn't pant wetting, pant wetting is over-reacting to one relatively minor mishap - this has been happening over the last 2-3 seasons.

Anyway, we played some nice football in patches, but made some poor errors at the back, didn't capitalise on our chances, and Bruno had absolutely nowhere (or no one) to turn to in the 2nd half when Leeds made 4 changes to freshen things up. I don't blame the players or manager, I blame the clubs (mis)management team.

2 quick positives, OK 3 -
Villa lost 2-0 at Bournemouth.
I thought Hwang, MGW & Neto looked good.
At least its blatantly obvious (hopefully even to Jeff and Scott) what the issues are & the window is still open.

Last edited:

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sa 5
Big save but absolute calamity in first half. Hope the save warms him up

Jonny
Don't want to give him a rating out of respect for a great servant. Totally and utterly done. Physically shot and he knows it. Really sad. Semedo back ASAP.

Kilman 6
Pretty poor on the ball and should have thrown himself at the cross.

Collins 6
Brought ball forward pretty well, also didn't do great at times.

Ait-Nouri 4
Dismal mental errors, looked like he was not aware season had started.

Neves 8
Really poor 1st half, brilliant 2nd half. Showed the class he has as Leeds pressed faded. Against a high press a serious concern still, he has to be more press resistant.

Donk 8
Really great breaking up play, won tons of ball and should have done better with first chance but excellently times run.

Podence 6
Some nice touches, head on a swivel but left too many passes short.

MGW 6.5
Showed he had what we lack, lovely close control be created angles for Neves in particular.

Neto 7
Brilliant at times but decision making still not there (as it won't be at his age) and messed up a few good attacks

Hwang 7
Really good in first half, worked his **** off. Good performance

Lage broadly got it right with the hand he was dealt.

We all know what we need, CM the key as it has needed to be upgraded for years. ST as well but Hwang showed he is a solid player centrally
Did you watch the same game? What exactly did Jonny do wrong?

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Donk gets a lot of stick but I thought he was good today.won a lot of 2nd balls.
Thankfully we have still got him or who else is there with a bit of height and power ?

He won a lot of balls. He did nothing with any of them. Maybe two sideways passes? It was turn and play back every other time. Slows us down and allows opponents to reorganise. And not forgetting his weak headers at goal and mediocre finish where a real striker would have scored.

Stratman Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think it already is toxic and rightly so - Fosun/Shi/Sellars obviously don’t care one jot about this club and if that’s the case I’d much rather they sold up.
Quite right. Take your profit and sell up if this "drip" is all they can afford to risk going forward. This approach to running a club is negligent at best and at worst downright insulting to supporters.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There's a big difference between the thrashings by Brighton, Man City , the capitulation at home to Leeds, the limp non events against Arsenal, the usual Burnley defeat etc, and today. Today we had more shots, more chances, more possession than Leeds. . And more in one match than we managed in about half a dozen added together from end of last season. We dominated for 25 minutes in second half in a way we never did at any time last season. Individual errors let us down.

And so why did we lose? We had no ****ing striker on the pitch or on the bench. I’m done with Jeff, Scott and Fosun. They can all **** off now.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not great but more attacking since last year but not many good scoring chances.
We played some great football at times but our defence was shaky and porous.
Neto was great but a couple of times he could have passed instead of taking a shot.
Podence was lucky with his goal while Dendoncker was unlucky not to score just before the half.

Reactions: gyb
Back
Top Bottom